GUILTY DE - Evan Dudley, 21 mos, beaten to death, Dover, 3 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess this could be over tomorrow? Sure seems to be going fast. Final witness tomorrow... Prosecution or defense too? Nervous....

After the state rested it's case, Justin Corbett declined to testify on his own behalf. However, a Corbett family friend, who claimed Justin had stayed with her family in 2013 after the death of Evan Dudley, took to the stand. In her testimony, she said she felt comfortable when she left her child with Corbett during his stay.

-----------------

Closing arguments are expected to begin Wednesday morning at 9:30. Then the jury will begin deliberation.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/UPDATE-Week-two-of-Justin-Corbett-trial-begins/40894248

After the state rested it's case, Justin Corbett declined to testify on his own behalf. However, a Corbett family friend, who claimed Justin had stayed with her family in 2013 after the death of Evan Dudley, took to the stand. In her testimony, she said she felt comfortable when she left her child with Corbett during his stay.

-----------------

Closing arguments are expected to begin Wednesday morning at 9:30. Then the jury will begin deliberation.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/UPDATE-Week-two-of-Justin-Corbett-trial-begins/40894248

I thought he wasn't allowed to be around children at that time!!? I would not leave him alone with children based on his mental health issues alone, but combined with the fact he was under suspicion of killing a child! I just can't understand this!

He wasn't arrested until February 2014.

Yes, that's why I said "was under suspicion" Evan had already been killed and everyone knew what was going on. It was an active investigation at that time and his mental health history has already been exposed in the local press. I wouldn't feel right leaving my child with someone I knew was being investigated for the death of a child, even if they were my spouse, sibling, parent or good friend! It blows my mind someone else would!

I don't think he was restricted from being around kids until he was arrested right?
I wouldn't have left my kid with him but I don't leave my kid with anyone.

His third child was born September 2013 which amazed ME.
I can't imagine having a baby knowing that these charges were possible against my husband.

Tomorrow will be tense for sure.... Sure wish we had a minute by minute update somewhere.

I hope everyone involved can handle whatever the verdict is.

Yes, that's why I said "was under suspicion" Evan had already been killed and everyone knew what was going on. It was an active investigation at that time and his mental health history has already been exposed in the local press. I wouldn't feel right leaving my child with someone I knew was being investigated for the death of a child, even if they were my spouse, sibling, parent or good friend! It blows my mind someone else would!

I don't think he was restricted from being around kids until he was arrested right?
I wouldn't have left my kid with him but I don't leave my kid with anyone.

His third child was born September 2013 which amazed ME.
I can't imagine having a baby knowing that these charges were possible against my husband.

Tomorrow will be tense for sure.... Sure wish we had a minute by minute update somewhere.

I hope everyone involved can handle whatever the verdict is.

Yes that's right. He wouldn't have been restricted legally from children until after his arrest. I guess in my mind I just think he should have been. The whole thing is crazy. The way he and his wife have behaved since Evan's death is gross to me. I'm so nervous about the outcome. I want some closure and justice for his mother. It took so many years to get to this point.

The trial of Justin Corbett, the former Dover airman accused of abusing and killing 21-month-old Evan Dudley back in November 2012, continued Wednesday and ended with the jury entering deliberation.

After closing arguments Wednesday morning, a verdict was expected in the afternoon. However, that's been pushed to tomorrow morning.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/UPDATE-Corbett-trial-jury-begins-deliberation/40917140

Along with a not guilty finding, the jury can also consider lesser included offenses second-degree murder by abuse, manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. First-degree murder by abuse is a Class A felony with sentencing of 15 years to life possible.

After closing arguments ended at 12:05 p.m. in Kent County Superior Court, Judge Robert B. Young sent the jury – five men and 11 women before alternates were excused – away to consider evidence presented in the past two weeks.

At around 4:30 p.m., no verdict was returned and Judge Young excused the jury for the day.

http://delawarestatenews.net/news/jury-deliberations-resume-corbett-trial/

Along with a not guilty finding, the jury can also consider lesser included offenses second-degree murder by abuse, manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. First-degree murder by abuse is a Class A felony with sentencing of 15 years to life possible.

After closing arguments ended at 12:05 p.m. in Kent County Superior Court, Judge Robert B. Young sent the jury – five men and 11 women before alternates were excused – away to consider evidence presented in the past two weeks.

At around 4:30 p.m., no verdict was returned and Judge Young excused the jury for the day.

http://delawarestatenews.net/news/jury-deliberations-resume-corbett-trial/

Oh, man, I wonder what's taking so long? I hope it's not a hung jury!

It was only a few hours that isn't long at all for such a serious case.
They are making the choice to take a mans freedom away for many years.
I want them to take their time on that and be sure they are thorough.
Not sure why a verdict was expected the first day....

A verdict is expected today (Thursday), in the trial for a former airman stationed at Dover Air Force Base who is charged with murder in the 2012 death of 21-month-old Evan Dudley, who was left in his care.

http://m.delaware1059.com/story.php?id=25767

Still don't know why they expect a verdict today. It could be today or tomorrow or longer.

Justin Corbett, a former Dover airman who was accused of abusing and killing 21-month-old Evan Dudley in November 2012, was convicted by a jury of one count of criminally negligent homicide.

-----------------

Corbett was charged with first-degree murder by abuse or neglect, recklessly causing the death of a child.

Officials say sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 15.

Corbett faces up to eight years in prison.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/former-dover-airman-found-guilty-of-negligent-homicide/40932942

I think the bond continues till sentencing. He may not go into custody the day of sentencing either. He may be given some time to take care of things.

I think he and his family were expecting an acquittal. Even though it's only a few years it's probably hitting them hard. His kids will be pre teens/teens before he gets out. It's not life but it seems like it I'm sure.

I'm not sure what Nikki has in mind for fighting further.... He's been convicted so there won't be further charges.
The whole thing is just so sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back