DE DE - John 'Jack' Wheeler, 66, Wilmington, 30 Dec 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JW was "obsessed" with stopping the building of the house across the street:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110109/NEWS01/101090356

His cell phone was found inside that home:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/08/earlyshow/saturday/main7225804.shtml

John Wheeler may have been obsessed with the house under construction but it sounded to me like he had lots of support from the neighbours in fighting it. I read a bunch of quotes from people living in the neighbourhood who referred to that particular house as "a monstrosity," "far too big for the lot or the neighbourhood," "really, really inappropriate for this area," etc.

I suspect that rather than Mr Wheeler being solely obsessed with the house, it was at least in part a matter of a group of people egging on the one who had the resources (financial and emotional) to fight it.

So, I'm thinking that the fight against the house was not a symptom of any sort of mental decline.

One very common response to a brain injury (such as concussion or a stroke) is increased irritability or aggression. My theory is that something happened to give Mr Wheeler a brain injury and he then the increased irritability or aggression on the house under construction.

The fact that he could have constructed more effective explosive devices also makes me think he was operating under some kind of diminished mental capacity.

John Wheeler may have been obsessed with the house under construction but it sounded to me like he had lots of support from the neighbours in fighting it. I read a bunch of quotes from people living in the neighbourhood who referred to that particular house as "a monstrosity," "far too big for the lot or the neighbourhood," "really, really inappropriate for this area," etc.

Well, it is fine to have that opinion. Some people disagreed.

I suspect that rather than Mr Wheeler being solely obsessed with the house, it was at least in part a matter of a group of people egging on the one who had the resources (financial and emotional) to fight it.

Not according to the reports.

So, I'm thinking that the fight against the house was not a symptom of any sort of mental decline.

I didn't suggest it was. He'd been battling it for about 18 years.

One very common response to a brain injury (such as concussion or a stroke) is increased irritability or aggression. My theory is that something happened to give Mr Wheeler a brain injury and he then the increased irritability or aggression on the house under construction.

Well, I think the decline would have been noted over that time span.

The fact that he could have constructed more effective explosive devices also makes me think he was operating under some kind of diminished mental capacity.

A real possibility, if he planted it. It sounds like a bug bomb.

I didn't suggest it was. He'd been battling it for about 18 years.
Are you saying Wheeler had been battling the building of the house across the street for 18 years? How is that possible? He inherited the New Castle house from his brother, and he had only moved in and started using it 5 years ago.

Wheeler inquired at city law firm

Ex-Pentagon official appeared disoriented
By PHILLIP LUCAS • The News Journal • January 11, 2011

"In the final hours of his life, John P. Wheeler visited the 10th-floor offices of the Connolly Bove Lodge and Hutch law firm in the Nemours Building looking to speak with the managing partner, an attorney at the firm said Monday.

The former Pentagon official was in downtown Wilmington the afternoon of Dec. 30, looking to borrow train fare to travel north, the attorney said.

When a receptionist went to find someone to speak with Wheeler, he was gone."

I cannot find a reference to a time that he visited that office. But, I would presume it is during working hours.

And then:

"Wheeler was seen on surveillance video wandering through the Nemours building around 8:30 p.m., still apparently disoriented, and refusing help from passers-by who approached him."

We know from previous reports that shortly after that he left the Nemours Building and headed in the direction of the Hotel DuPont where he was last seen on video at about 8:42 pm.

"Detectives are reviewing hours of surveillance footage from Downtown Visions, Wilmington's surveillance network, to determine where Wheeler went after he left the Nemours building near Rodney Square.

Police also are seeking information from the public on Wheeler's whereabouts after he left the Nemours building and was seen walking toward Market Street."

Thanks for the link to the law firm. I wonder if its coincidental that Wheeler was in that office or if he was going to divulge something. Here's a link to what intellectual property means(I had no idea), http://www.cblh.com/node/246. Sounds like some of the stuff Wheeler may have been involved with in his consulting job. Very curious!!!

Thanks for the link to the law firm. I wonder if its coincidental that Wheeler was in that office or if he was going to divulge something. Here's a link to what intellectual property means(I had no idea), http://www.cblh.com/node/246. Sounds like some of the stuff Wheeler may have been involved with in his consulting job. Very curious!!!

Trade secret stuff is almost always something that produces a physical product, seriously, like the formula for Coca-Cola. Proprietary software is another example.

If you do divulge it, you can be in serious financial trouble. It is not something you really want to do, unless you're working for a competitor, and even then you could be sued.

Is it me,or is it taking a long time to figure out cause of death?

I don't think it is you. Normally, if it was obvious, it would be announced quickly.

This might not be murder, but I'd guess drugging if it was.

I think they know the cause of death but are keeping it from the public. LE called it a murder, so they must know.

The first warrant was issued to New Castle County police the same day Wheeler’s body was found, authorizing a search of his home. Attorney General Beau Biden’s office asked four days later to seal the warrant, arguing that the disclosure of its contents will compromise the investigation.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/...rrants-sealed-in-death-of-Del.-defense-expert

They are keeping facts to themselves to protect against false confessions I think.

I think they know the cause of death but are keeping it from the public. LE called it a murder, so they must know.

Maybe not.

LE sometimes looks at the circumstances, and the victim, and makes a tentative announcement.

The Luna case is an example. The coroner ruled it murder 2-3 days after the body was found. On the first year anniversary, the FBI released their conclusion that Luna was alone that night. All the information that came out since that initial report pointed away from murder.

The coroner's office is still refusing to release the autopsy results, seven years later.

In this case, LE has said they don't have toxicology and has not released a cause of death.

Just plain weirdness and strange coinkydink i suppose, but ... the law firm of Connolly Bove Lodge & Hutz that JW visited has a Rachel Dwares. Don't know if she is related, but there is a CPA / business consulting firm of Wheeler Wolfenden Dwares in Wilmington ... and a John Wheeler of that firm was killed in a tragic car crash in March 2009.

http://miva.delawareonline.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?obits.mv+83373

This ABC article appeared on Friday night:

New development in mysterious death of John Wheeler

I think its a very odd article.

"Investigators have been trying to figure out John Wheeler's strange behavior in the days before he died. An email he sent out just a few weeks ago about this house under construction, may offer some insight.

"He was very vigorous in his opposition and was very critical of the parties involved including myself," said Mayor John Klingmeyer.

Mayor John Klingmeyer is among those who've felt the wrath of John Wheeler. He has sued the town and the owners of this property, claiming the construction was illegally approved after a 13 year long battle."

The article says: "Wheeler sent an email to friends and neighbors just before Christmas. He vents his growing anger over the new house across the street. It blocks his view of the river and Battery Park."

And it goes on to state some of what the email supposedly said. However, it does NOT reproduce the entire email. The article seems very one sided to me and the reporter appears to have gotten all his/her information for this article from one person, and that would be Mayor John Klingmeyer.

Now, Klingmeyer does not seem to be a personal friend of John Wheeler, nor does he seem to be a neighbor, and yet he does seem to have a copy of this email. How did he get it? Why is he talking to the media about it?

By the way, Mayor Klingmeyer has been mayor of New Castle since 1972. His father and grandfather both served on the town council.

And then, there is this article, which does not seem odd to me at all.

Delaware police mum about cause of former Pentagon official John Wheeler's death
Police silence opens door to wild speculation

By CRIS BARRISH • The News Journal • January 15, 2011

"How was former Pentagon official John P. Wheeler III killed?

If police know, they aren't saying.

Two full weeks after Wheeler's body was spotted tumbling out of a trash hauler into a Wilmington landfill on New Year's Eve, police and the state Medical Examiner's Office remain uncharacteristically silent.

Though officials immediately labeled his death a "homicide," they have refused to provide the cause, nor will they say whether they're sure how Wheeler died.

Law enforcement's posture runs contrary to normal Delaware police procedure in homicide cases. ..."

much more...

Both articles are very interesting. Whenever authorities keep things secret it just makes everyhting so much worse. Just spill it for God's sake.

Unless there is more recent information to the contrary, it seems the Board of Adjustment DENIED the Marini appeal on Sept 29, 2008, with the Mayor having opposed the motion:

http://www.newcastlecity.net/city_gov/meeting_info/BOA_MINUTES_0108-1.html

Mr. Athey made a motion that this Board deny the applicant’s appeal from the HAC’s denial dated 9/20/07. Mr. Akin seconded the motion.

A roll call vote was called.

Mr. Athey – voted in favor of the motion
Mr. Akin – voted in favor of the motion
Mayor Klingmeyer – opposed the motion

The motion passed by a vote of 2-1.

IMO, based on the foregoing, Ms Marini has more reason to be mad at Wheeler than vice versa.

Unless there is more recent information to the contrary, it seems the Board of Adjustment DENIED the Marini appeal on Sept 29, 2008, with the Mayor having opposed the motion:

http://www.newcastlecity.net/city_gov/meeting_info/BOA_MINUTES_0108-1.html

IMO, based on the foregoing, Ms Marini has more reason to be mad at Wheeler than vice versa.
Yes, but there have been more recent rulings. This one for example:

http://www.newcastlecity.net/city_gov/meeting_info/mm_adjustment/BOA_mm_2009_05.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth
Back