DE DE - John 'Jack' Wheeler, 66, Wilmington, 30 Dec 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, the key issue is that the people he encountered didn't know him well, so they could not gauge his behavior. I am really leaning toward the theory that he had a stroke - my husband had three strokes last year, and fortunately he has not suffered any lasting damage from them. But the thing that made me realize something was really wrong was the way he acted the morning after he had the strokes, I knew something wasn't right by the way he was acting and the things he was doing. But if a stranger had encountered him they would not have realized anything was seriously wrong. In fact, my husband worked for a whole day after he had the strokes (of course not realizing he had had them) and people thought he was acting oddly, but just thought he was having an off day. In my husband's case, it took someone who knew him really well (me, his wife) to realize something was really wrong.

Also some thugs take advantage and will prey on those who they think may be having mental issues or other disabilities.

I think someone realized he was an easy target.

IMO

I really wish his family would speak out,especially since this man who seems to have a distinguished career is now being accused of arson. Either he had some kind of brain tumor causing him to behave in a different way or someone is trying to make him look like he was crazy.
The people closest to him should know.

The police is probably recommending they say nothing in the media during the ongoing investigation.

IMO

First of all phosgene has many symptoms: None that he has displayed except maybe the final kill which would be heart attack.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp

Immediate signs and symptoms of phosgene exposure
During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of phosgene, the following signs and symptoms may develop:
Coughing
Burning sensation in the throat and eyes
Watery eyes
Blurred vision
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
Nausea and vomiting
Skin contact can result in lesions similar to those from frostbite or burns
Following exposure to high concentrations of phosgene, a person may develop fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) within 2 to 6 hours.

MOO I think he had a stroke, was wandering around....after he left the place where he was caught on video, some thugs took advantage, mugged him, beat him or shot him, then picked him up and put him in the dumpster.

By SARAH BRUMFIELD
Associated Press http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13787541

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) (snip) "We believe it was a homicide because it was ruled a homicide by the state medical examiners," said Newark Police Lt. Mark A. Farrall.

The cause of death was pending toxicology and further forensic studies, said Carl Kanefsky of the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, which includes the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. He said complete autopsy results could take weeks.

If it was ruled a homicide but the cause of death is still pending -
wonder how they knew it was a homicide?

RUMOR (from my friend that works at location of one of the dumpsters in question)

I read that rumor earlier today. I think when Wheeler left the train station to get to his car, someone either knocked him down or hit him on the head (to steal his briefcase) which caused his disorientation. The area of Wilmington he was wandering around is not safe at night and I think perhaps someone or some people not related to the first incident may have gotten him in their vehicle and if he didn’t have any money or whatever, they killed him and dumped his body. Wilmington has become worse than Phila with the number of murders. Anyhow, we’ll see. The latest rumor I heard (this morning) is that it’s been narrowed down that he has either in the dumpster here where I work or next door which is where the IRS is housed. Supposedly CNN called and requested an interview with our manager yesterday.

This is a sad and strange (almost hinky) story. I live outside of downtown Wilmington, ten minutes from where Mr. Wheeler was last seen, and I drive past the Nemours Building and Hotel Dupont parking garage at least twice a day. I've been following the case since I heard about it and thought I would share something that has not been mentioned in the news but makes me wonder if police have been able to track his movements through the streets more easily. http://vs-us.com/Delaware/Wilmington-CCTV-Security-Camera.html
from the link "Wilmington's plan of action to counter the crime wave that it experienced throughout the years has made city officials recognize the importance of video surveillance. Wilmington was one of the nations first cities to have its entire downtown area under video surveillance."

I'm interested to see if the police release a cause of death here. Some sort of brain trauma or injury seems possible based on his behavior in the released footage, but how did he get from Wilmington into the dumpster in Newark?

I didn't see yesterday's article from MyFoxPhilly linked yet http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/010511-images-wheeler-seen-on-surveillance-video

OT As this is my first post after long-time lurking, thank you to those who post often. I appreciate your insight and discussions. I'm going to scurry off and read the terms of service before I get myself in trouble

Was there snow and or ice on the streets and sidewalks? He could have slipped and fallen,hit his head and then in his state of disorientation,gotten taken advantage of, and ultimatley murdered.

Just saw a new report on Fox that someone from a coffee shop described Wheeler as having bloodshot eyes,The most bloodshot eyes I have ever seen". Also reported the clothes he has on in one video are different from the ones he had on the day before. So he changed clothes somewhere at some point.

Trying to find link to that report just on by Eric Shawn,but it might not be up yet.

I really wish his family would speak out,especially since this man who seems to have a distinguished career is now being accused of arson. Either he had some kind of brain tumor causing him to behave in a different way or someone is trying to make him look like he was crazy.
The people closest to him should know.

I'm thinking they may be just as confused as everyone else. His associates seem totally mystified, so his family may not know what to say.

I know I wouldn't know what to say. I'd probably still be alternating between crying and saying "huh?"

From that Fox article:

"Video from various surveillance cameras show Wheeler dressed in a dark jacket, pants and white shirt. Those videos are from Wednesday, December 29th. But the last time he was seen on video from a camera at the Nemours office building in Wilmington at 8:30 p.m. on the next day, Thursday December 30th, he switched some clothing, according to Lt. Mark Farrall. The tapes have not been released ...."

and

“That is still a mystery to us and that is what our investigators are working on, and one of the things we are working on is where did he go after he was spotted on the 29th in the parking garage until the next day when was spotted in the Nemours building,” Farrall said."

So, my question is, did the people at the sandwich shop report their sighting to the police? And, did the reporter ask them or the police that question, and if so, why isn't it reflected in the article?

And, where is the sandwich shop? And, how did the reporter locate them?

Also some thugs take advantage and will prey on those who they think may be having mental issues or other disabilities.

I think someone realized he was an easy target.

IMO

It's horrifying to think about but you are absolutely correct. For instance, one risk for women who have tonic-clonic seizures (grand mal) is having one in public and being robbed or sexually assaulted while seizuring. Makes my heart hurt to think about it.

Like you, I really wonder if he had a stroke and was then attacked by some predator.

By SARAH BRUMFIELD
Associated Press http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13787541

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) (snip) "We believe it was a homicide because it was ruled a homicide by the state medical examiners," said Newark Police Lt. Mark A. Farrall.

The cause of death was pending toxicology and further forensic studies, said Carl Kanefsky of the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, which includes the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. He said complete autopsy results could take weeks.

If it was ruled a homicide but the cause of death is still pending -
wonder how they knew it was a homicide?

IIRC, in another article linked here the police are holding back on the cause of death to stop people who have false confessions from knowing too much.

Others have been talking about his red eyes. I wonder what he was crying about? :waitasec:

IIRC, in another article linked here the police are holding back on the cause of death to stop people who have false confessions from knowing too much.

Others have been talking about his red eyes. I wonder what he was crying about? :waitasec:

It is 'possible' that he was struck in the nose or even had dirt/sand thrown in his eyes. Or he could have just been bawling for one reason or another... whethre perceived or real.

This is one of the clearest articles I have found summarizing Mr. Wheelers movements beginning Tuesday the 28th.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110105/NEWS01/101050356/Delaware-crime-In-Wheeler-s-final-days-details-of-a-disheveled-man

The Nemours Building is across from the Hotel Dupont and both buildings take up their respective sides of the block between 10th and 11th streets on S Orange. The architectural style of the buildings and their entrances are similar but there is a bike repair shop with street access to right of the revolving doors to the Nemours building. It's possible in a disoriented state he confused the two buildings, but rumors I've heard lead me to believe (IMO of course) he was aware of where he was when he was in Nemours. From the Amtrack station (Front St and King on the south side of downtown) it's about a 13 min walk according to google maps to the corner of S Orange and 10th. The hotel's parking garage is located one block north on the opposite side of the street at the corner of S Orange and 12th, on the north edge of the business area downtown. Note though this is not the garage of the released surveillance video and also not the garage his car was in from the 13th until it was impounded on the 31st.

In regards to the coffee shop, the first one that comes to mind is a doughnut chain one block south and caddy corner to Nemours at S Orange and 9th, but I don't know if this is the one that article cites. As someone mentioned upthread Wilmington is very busy during the day, but the city kind of clears out once the sun goes down (many of the restaurants are only open for lunch).

to answer hockeymom's question about snow we had 4ish inches early that Sunday (26th) but the roads and sidewalks were cleared before Tuesday

I have heard but not seen it reported by any news outlets that he was found with his Rolex and wallet which is how they were able to identify him so easily and possibly why his car was impounded on the 31st.

If he was found with his rolex watch and wallet,then the story takes on a whole new twist,and I'm inclined to think there is some sort of government conspiracy thing happening.
As for the red eyes,you have to do a heck of alot of crying for osmeone to describe your eyes as more bloodshot than you've ever seen. Coffee shop guy also says although Wheeler looked disheveled,he was coherent when he ordered his coffee.
Weirder by the minute!!!

It is 'possible' that he was struck in the nose or even had dirt/sand thrown in his eyes. Or he could have just been bawling for one reason or another... whethre perceived or real.

Or he could have been pepper-sprayed by whomever stole his briefcase - if someone did steal his briefcase.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9
Back