GUILTY DE - Smyrna, Wht/HispFemale, 2-5, 'Baby Elle', ball field, 13 Sept 2019 - Emma Cole *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sick people. He is back behind bars too. Idiot.

Mother Faces New Murder Charges in Death of 3-Year-Old Girl Found at Delaware Softball Field

The state’s attorney general announced Tuesday that Kristie Haas, 28, now faces two counts of murder by abuse or neglect in the first degree as part of a superseding indictment in the death of Emma Cole.

“While Brandon and Kristie Haas’ initial arrests provided some relief, we knew that the mission was not complete until we were able to bring a homicide charge in this case,” said Lt. Brian Donner of the Smyrna Police Department in a statement on Tuesday. “Today culminates all that hard work and investigation.

Documents unsealed in Smyrna child death case: Affidavit brings details

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere but in this article it says that Mom told family members that Emma had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed to a hospital in Philadelphia as her excuse of why Emma wasn't living with them. I can't believe she would think that's a reasonable explanation or that anyone would believe that a preschool age child was "committed" to a psychiatric hospital.

Bummer that’s behind a paywall. If you have access, can you share the highlights? Thanks!
I’m sorry about that, the article is not behind a paywall for me (I’m in Europe). There is a site that I use sometimes when I encounter paywalls and it usually works: 12ft – Hop any paywall

Here are some snippets from the article:

The News Journal

[…]
James Cole hadn’t heard from his youngest daughter in more than a year.

He’d reach out weekly, then every few weeks, but Kristie Cole Haas’ phone would ring and ring before ultimately going to voicemail. She wouldn’t return his texts, either.

James, who lives in western Kentucky, was concerned but not surprised. For much of his life, he’d had a rocky relationship with his 28-year-old daughter, who had struggled with addiction since her mid teens.

James and Kristie’s mother had also divorced when Kristie and her elder sister, Kelsey, were young. The parents didn’t get along and the girls were often caught in the middle.

Still, James tried to maintain a relationship with Kristie for the sake of her four children.

He hadn’t seen the youngest, Emma Grace Cole, since she was born on Jan. 10, 2016. But he wanted to be part of his daughter’s and grandchildren’s lives – especially after Kristie moved from Indiana to Delaware in 2017.

This particular Thursday night in September 2020, Kristie’s lack of communication worried James. Earlier in the day, Kelsey – who sporadically kept in touch with Kristie – had told him about a strange conversation she’d had first with her mother, then Kristie, about Emma Grace.

The little girl, Kelsey told James, was no longer living with Kristie in Delaware.

Kelsey didn’t know exactly why. Her mother had given her one explanation, while Kristie had said Emma Grace had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and was at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

That didn’t make sense to Kelsey or James, given the girl wasn’t even 5 years old. So, as James watched the Kansas City Chiefs kick off, he began scrolling through the websites of Delaware funeral homes on the off chance that Emma Grace’s name or photo would appear.
[…]
Emma Grace, whose biological father is Joshua Douthitt, had been thriving in the care of her paternal great-aunt, Tanya Axsom. Kristie had voluntarily given Emma Grace to Axsom in April 2016 during the height of her struggle with addiction, and an Indiana court later appointed Axsom as Emma Grace’s guardian.

Less than a year-and-a-half later, in September 2017, a judge terminated the guardianship and returned Emma Grace to Kristie. The decision was a blow to Axsom and a court-appointed child advocate, both of whom believed Kristie and Emma Grace were not bonded.

The judge had reservations too, yet ruled in Kristie’s favor
[…]
Had James not stumbled across the Smyrna police website, Galzi said, Emma Grace might still be “Baby Elle,” as the detectives nicknamed her. And while she’s glad her image was instrumental in Emma Grace’s identification, it’s a muted kind of happiness.

Identifying a child can bring closure and justice. It also brings heartbreak.

Because Emma Grace was named, her family was able to give her a proper burial. They know where she died, and have some idea how she was killed.

They also know an Indiana judge returned her to Kristie’s care despite the wishes and recommendations of Axsom and a court-appointed child advocate, and that even the judge had misgivings. And they know that when he did this, Emma Grace lost all protections she had in Indiana.

I’m sorry about that, the article is not behind a paywall for me (I’m in Europe). There is a site that I use sometimes when I encounter paywalls and it usually works: 12ft – Hop any paywall

Here are some snippets from the article:

The News Journal

[…]
James Cole hadn’t heard from his youngest daughter in more than a year.

He’d reach out weekly, then every few weeks, but Kristie Cole Haas’ phone would ring and ring before ultimately going to voicemail. She wouldn’t return his texts, either.

James, who lives in western Kentucky, was concerned but not surprised. For much of his life, he’d had a rocky relationship with his 28-year-old daughter, who had struggled with addiction since her mid teens.

James and Kristie’s mother had also divorced when Kristie and her elder sister, Kelsey, were young. The parents didn’t get along and the girls were often caught in the middle.

Still, James tried to maintain a relationship with Kristie for the sake of her four children.

He hadn’t seen the youngest, Emma Grace Cole, since she was born on Jan. 10, 2016. But he wanted to be part of his daughter’s and grandchildren’s lives – especially after Kristie moved from Indiana to Delaware in 2017.

This particular Thursday night in September 2020, Kristie’s lack of communication worried James. Earlier in the day, Kelsey – who sporadically kept in touch with Kristie – had told him about a strange conversation she’d had first with her mother, then Kristie, about Emma Grace.

The little girl, Kelsey told James, was no longer living with Kristie in Delaware.

Kelsey didn’t know exactly why. Her mother had given her one explanation, while Kristie had said Emma Grace had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and was at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

That didn’t make sense to Kelsey or James, given the girl wasn’t even 5 years old. So, as James watched the Kansas City Chiefs kick off, he began scrolling through the websites of Delaware funeral homes on the off chance that Emma Grace’s name or photo would appear.
[…]
Emma Grace, whose biological father is Joshua Douthitt, had been thriving in the care of her paternal great-aunt, Tanya Axsom. Kristie had voluntarily given Emma Grace to Axsom in April 2016 during the height of her struggle with addiction, and an Indiana court later appointed Axsom as Emma Grace’s guardian.

Less than a year-and-a-half later, in September 2017, a judge terminated the guardianship and returned Emma Grace to Kristie. The decision was a blow to Axsom and a court-appointed child advocate, both of whom believed Kristie and Emma Grace were not bonded.

The judge had reservations too, yet ruled in Kristie’s favor
[…]
Had James not stumbled across the Smyrna police website, Galzi said, Emma Grace might still be “Baby Elle,” as the detectives nicknamed her. And while she’s glad her image was instrumental in Emma Grace’s identification, it’s a muted kind of happiness.

Identifying a child can bring closure and justice. It also brings heartbreak.

Because Emma Grace was named, her family was able to give her a proper burial. They know where she died, and have some idea how she was killed.

They also know an Indiana judge returned her to Kristie’s care despite the wishes and recommendations of Axsom and a court-appointed child advocate, and that even the judge had misgivings. And they know that when he did this, Emma Grace lost all protections she had in Indiana.
Wow, a case where child services terminates a guardianship that is working well to return the child to their unstable birth parents and the child turns up dead... where have we seen this one before o_O

I wish that it wasn't paywalled. I watched as law enforcement got there. And T.A. is just being rude now to people on Emma's page, The focus should only be on Emma and if she really wanted people to get to know Emma and what happened she should just get it out there. Yeah it's only$2, like she said, but imagine someone who lives in a tent and that $2 is food for the day. IMHO Sorry about the rant

Kristie Haas, 31, pleaded guilty Thursday to murder by abuse or neglect, abuse of a corpse, and three counts of endangering the welfare of a child. Prosecutors are recommending a sentence of 50 years in prison on the murder charge, suspended for non-custodial supervision after 30 years behind bars. The murder charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. Prosecutors are recommending probation for the other counts and will drop several other felony and misdemeanor charges.

“Yes, your honor,” Haas repeatedly intoned softly as Superior Court Judge Noel Primos asked whether she understood the nature of the charges and the consequences of entering a guilty plea.

At the request of attorneys, Primos, who is not bound by the sentencing recommendation, deferred sentencing until July 10, the date on which a trial for Haas was to begin.

The plea agreement was unsealed one day after Haas’ wife, Kristie Haas, pleaded guilty to murder by abuse or neglect in the 2019 death of her daughter Emma Grace Cole. Kristie Haas also pleaded guilty to abuse of a corpse and three counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

Kristie Haas, 31, is scheduled to be sentenced July 10, the date her trial was to begin. Sentencing for Brandon Haas, who has been cooperating with prosecutors, is expected to be held sometime in the fall.

SMYRNA, Del. - A Superior Court Judge has sentenced Kristie Haas to 30 years for the murder of her 3-year-old daughter and the abuse of the toddler’s corpse after leaving the girl’s burned remains at a Smyrna softball field in 2019.

Haas and her husband were arrested in Pennsylvania in 2020 on murder and abuse charges after authorities say they subjected Emma Grace Cole to “torture” and withheld food and medical care from the child.

At this point Haas’ parental rights for her other three children have not been fully terminated, but there is a 10-year no contact order. A family court will have to establish whether or not the mother can have contact with her remaining children after those 10 years has passed.

Brandon Haas, the toddler's step-father, is scheduled for sentencing this afternoon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ
Back