DE - Susan Ledyard, 50, found dead in river (suspected homicide), Wilmington, 23 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
for anyone interested - drove to the area where this occurred today (i live about 5 minutes away) and took some photos and a short video of the bridge/area she parked. Susan Ledyard - Scene of Crime?
I am a tad late to this one on this thread. But am a fellow local that has tried to follow thIs tragic case from the start. Very nice work on showing the area where the car was parked. Are there any images showing exactly where it was parked and apparently blocking some access?

If I recall, the Lordan Arts summary video (up thread) was a good analysis of one possible scenario, including possible use of a trail that runs near the river. I believe other reports were certain that the area of the Brandywine River in which the victim would supposedly have traveled from the car placement to where she was recovered could not occur. It is typically rugged, rocked, and shallow in many spots. But I have not traversed the specific area.

Perhaps the more accurate assessment is that the car was moved from the residence to the park lot early that morning. Whether it was her doing so might be a question?

Other clues might reside in whether it was certain who was texting from her phone and to whom and when.

And if I recall correctly, was it the case that the then husband had either gone to a concert or movie the evening prior to this event? And that I don’t believe the victim accompanied him there and instead remained in the residence? And he then returned to their residence. IMO.

Last edited:
The only scenario that makes sense is it was a person she knew. Although IMO it would be a person she didn’t want her husband to know about. Otherwise, she likely would have said to her husband “I just got a message from ___ and she’s really upset and needs to talk to someone” etc. I think it’s possible she was up so late, long after the husband went to bed, because she was waiting for a call/message. It’s a very curious case.
Or one wonders if it was set to look like a planned rendezvous by someone else. Someone that moved the car and placed the victim. And possibly the victim was placed prior to the car having been moved? Of course if it is known or proven the victim moved the car this does not work. MOO.

I keep going over the time line as well as the fact that her car was found parked blocking a driveway, unlocked, with her purse and keys inside. I’m thinking if I can work out those details to make sense, it would give a good indication of the circumstances that brought her to that area.
Sure feels like the car was planted or placed there….. by someone perhaps other than the victim? MO

Some additional thoughts after again watching the very well done Brainscratch by John Lordan above in post #50.

The scenario laid out by him seems plausible. I can only hope that investigators might have better determination of time she was placed in the water; whether from body temperature, where located, outdoor temperature, and the apparent Fitbit activity, corroborated with her other cell and electronic activity that evening. That would have been helpful as to where she might have entered into the creek, and for retrieval of possible surveillance video. And analysis of the movements by the Fitbit seem important.

If I read otherwise, the car was quickly released to the then husband? If so that is unfortunate as to possible lost evidence? And with how the car and some valuables left unlocked doesn’t seem to support a rendezvous IMO.

Lastly if I read recent information and the video correctly, her marriage to the husband was his second marriage? And the husband has since remarried for his third marriage? And it appears that are potential domestic incidents reported in his third marriage earlier this year, 2023?

MOO.

Some additional thoughts after again watching the very well done Brainscratch by John Lordan above in post #50.

The scenario laid out by him seems plausible. I can only hope that investigators might have better determination of time she was placed in the water; whether from body temperature, where located, outdoor temperature, and the apparent Fitbit activity, corroborated with her other cell and electronic activity that evening. That would have been helpful as to where she might have entered into the creek, and for retrieval of possible surveillance video. And analysis of the movements by the Fitbit seem important.

If I read otherwise, the car was quickly released to the then husband? If so that is unfortunate as to possible lost evidence? And with how the car and some valuables left unlocked doesn’t seem to support a rendezvous IMO.

Lastly if I read recent information and the video correctly, her marriage to the husband was his second marriage? And the husband has since remarried for his third marriage? And it appears that are potential domestic incidents reported in his third marriage earlier this year, 2023?

MOO.
I will never understand why Susan’s husband was not thoroughly investigated, especially since he was the last person to see her alive. And yes, he was arrested earlier this year for domestic violence/ assaulting wife #3. Interesting. And rather disturbing. I have been following this case since the beginning. I just hope & pray Susan’s family sees justice for her one day soon.

I will never understand why Susan’s husband was not thoroughly investigated, especially since he was the last person to see her alive. And yes, he was arrested earlier this year for domestic violence/ assaulting wife #3. Interesting. And rather disturbing. I have been following this case since the beginning. I just hope & pray Susan’s family sees justice for her one day soon.
Yes, one would agree. And hopefully investigators can pull details of his prior history and any possible events, to see whether there are other incidents or indicators.

As has been observed in many other cases, a later apparent criminal activity can lead to other things surfacing. And reinvestigation of them. And patterns in behavior also arise.

Hopefully maybe other individuals might come forward to assist this unfortunate case.

More detail here. He was with a woman, she’s not identified.
Yikes. One has to hope that prosecutors from all jurisdictions will compare notes in this and proceed as able and allowed. This latest is quite troubling. Not to mention still nothing apparent for possible charges from the two recent incidents with the individual’s third wife?

And on that May 26, 2023 article by Chris Barrish WHYY online and photos, the photo on the left about half way down in the article of damaged drywall - is it just an observation, or does that appear to be perhaps from someone’s head having hit it? MOO

(Note…. a screenshot of that image is too large to post embedded here.)

Last edited:

A former Delaware banking executive whose wife’s 2019 murder remains unsolved has pleaded guilty to a vicious New Year’s Day attack on his new wife.

Benjamin Ledyard, who worked as an investment consultant for Bank of America and Wilmington Trust, took a deal from prosecutors and pleaded guilty Tuesday in Superior Court to second-degree assault against Stephanie Ledyard.

Second-degree assault is a Class D violent felony punishable by zero to eight years in prison but no mandatory time behind bars. The 56-year-old Leyard, who has been free on $77,000 cash bail since days after the attack, will be sentenced on October 27.

I do not have access to Twitter / ‘X’…. but reference to links there from Delaware area reporter Cris Barrish seem to indicate that sentencing for Ben / Benjamin Ledyard on the plea for assault of his third wife has been delayed from October 27, 2023 until December 22, 2023. See attached upper section. (Maybe someone could access and post the link for those that might access.)

Attachments

• 45F5E9E8-871B-4F4A-8098-C9C84C6B6E1C.png
    45F5E9E8-871B-4F4A-8098-C9C84C6B6E1C.png
    328.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
. . . and, what about his second wife? I don't know the story -- is she dead, too, like Susan Ledyard?
If I recall correctly, Susan was the second wife. I do not have details on the first wife. And I believe the events with the third wife are those for which the sentencing in December of 2023 is slated. And hopefully someone that has followed this more closely can help chime in here. Thanks.
MOO

MOO.
Benjamin Ledyard married Stephanie Nixon (wife no. 3), in September 2021. That was two years and two months after his second wife, Susan Ledyard, was found dead in the Brandywine River, in Wilmington, Delaware, from blunt force trauma and drowning.

On New Year's Day 2023, Benjamin attacked his new(est) wife, Stephanie Nixon Ledyard, brutally beating her with a marble block. Previously, in the summer of 2022, Benjamin Ledyard allegedly bit off the tip of Stephanie Nixon Ledyard's pinkie, telling her, "I think I swallowed it." [Was that "allegedly" swallowed it?]

Del. man whose wife’s 2019 murder remains unsolved charged with attacks on new wife

Lack of evidence. They can't prove anything.

I have not located any recent updates on this case or that of the husband Ben / Benjamin Ledyard. But did locate this from the Pennsylvania Chester County court docket website link below. Not entirely certain whether this is related to the incident in Pennsylvania but it may be:
0A6F882B-2359-4534-8464-7474D8C0CCEE.png

One also hopes that the December 22, 2023 hearing / pleading? is still to occur. MOO

This second item is from a Chester County website link and the items do appear to be related to that case.
D41A11B5-3EB0-4E87-A00D-140199894C9F.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95