Death Fall Forensic - Can a body falling from 13.3m height land 3.5m away?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SBM
@Qrious
stated in your 1st post......
He was out of sight in the service lift area for some 4 minutes.

I am interested in what may have been playing out the 4 minutes before in the service lift area (off CCTV range) then running 2 stairs at a time going back up. Actually you stated he was going back up faster (stairwell) then when he descended 4 to 5 minutes earlier.

My condolences to the bride, and family.
Unfortunately nothing was recorded in the service lift area. A report mentioned that the CCTV in the lift would activate on motion. So it was likely he did not enter the lift.

Yes he was taking two steps at a time and looking kind of panicky when he was going up vs a steady pace when going down.

Here's a sketch I found online:
IMG_9930.jpg

@JudgeJoe @drama_farmer

The father told police there was no history of him sleepwalking. Also the papers never reported about any finding in the inquest in relation to drugs, so I assumed there was none other than intoxication.

I think he peed into the bathtub only because of intoxication.
I wish we knew what substances were & were not tested for. In the case I referenced earlier, we were waiting for tox & I was thinking enough with the Ambien theories/stories already. But I sure learned a lot about the drug & became convinced it can produce BIZARRE behavior. There seem to be strong similarities at first glance. I’ll pipe down about the Ambien now...

Last edited:
I wish we knew what substances were & were not tested for. In the case I referenced earlier, we were waiting for tox & I was thinking enough with the Ambien theories/stories already. But I sure learned a lot about the drug & became convinced it can produce BIZARRE behavior. There seem to be strong similarities at first glance. I’ll pipe down about the Ambien now...

But would a person take Ambien on his wedding night?

Unfortunately nothing was recorded in the service lift area. A report mentioned that the CCTV in the lift would activate on motion. So it was likely he did not enter the lift.

Yes he was taking two steps at a time and looking kind of panicky when he was going up vs a steady pace when going down.

Here's a sketch I found online:
View attachment 264547

Do you have links to the sketch and other posted info? Not being the link police, :D but we probably should try to comply with TOS. This case is very interesting. Regarding not taking Ambien on his wedding night, if he was drunk he might have taken it out of habit or by mistake. Is there a toxicology report available? Personally, I’ve taken Ambien on and off for years and never had an issue, but I know some have and you wouldn’t know if you were that person ahead of time.

Do you have links to the sketch and other posted info? Not being the link police, :D but we probably should try to comply with TOS. This case is very interesting. Regarding not taking Ambien on his wedding night, if he was drunk he might have taken it out of habit or by mistake. Is there a toxicology report available? Personally, I’ve taken Ambien on and off for years and never had an issue, but I know some have and you wouldn’t know if you were that person ahead of time.

Hilton groom fell to death trying to get out of stairway

The above has slightly more details. Competition in Singapore press is limited so it is difficult to get extensive details. The few papers typically just report whatever the official version of events is and hardly endeavour to dig more. If you google, you might get a little more info from here and there to piece together, which was what I did.

Toxicology report was not made publicly available cuz no one asked for it. Even if one asked, I doubt the authorities here would release it.

Because of the strangeness of this case, there was of course public speculation. In the initial days, reports on the route he took were not accurate.

The above has slightly more details. Competition in Singapore press is limited so it is difficult to get extensive details. The few papers typically just report whatever the official version of events is and hardly endeavour to dig more. If you google, you might get a little more info from here and there to piece together, which was what I did.

Toxicology report was not made publicly available cuz no one asked for it. Even if one asked, I doubt the authorities here would release it.

Because of the strangeness of this case, there was of course public speculation. In the initial days, reports on the route he took were not accurate.

Thanks so much for the link @Qrious. There were other links after the article. It was tragic to learn that his widow attempted suicide soon after, and jumped from a building to her death eight months later. :(

THE couple wed in November last year but, within eight months, both husband and wife had fallen tragically to their deaths.

Yesterday, State Coroner Victor Yeo recorded a verdict of misadventure in the death of Mr Vernon Leong at the Hilton Singapore hotel on Nov 4. He had held his wedding banquet there hours earlier.

Mr Leong's wife, Ms Kerin Peh, 28, fell to her death eight months later from an HDB block on July 5.

Questions over groom's death fall
She intends to remain a widow for life

Hi.

I have this nagging question from an actual case 11 years ago in 2009 at a hotel in Singapore. The circumstances in this case are very strange.

A newly-wed bridegroom fell to his death just a few hours after the end of his wedding dinner. CCTV footage showed him leaving his honeymoon suite on the 10th floor at 3:08 am and heading towards the fire exit stairway. He left without the knowledge of his wife who was in the shower. He was barefoot and clad only in a white singlet and checkered shorts, and was supposedly in a half intoxicated state.

There were no CCTV in the stairwell above the fifth floor. Next, CCTV from the fifth floor down caught him going towards the ground floor and the basement. He descended the stairwell at a steady pace with his arms folded across his chest.

He tried to open the exit doors at the ground floor and the basement without success. Next he turned towards a corner in the basement where a service lift was. The service lift was not in use at that time and was not in the sight of the CCTV. The lights were also not on there.

He was out of sight in the service lift area for some 4 minutes. When he reappeared in the stairwell, he seemed to be in a panic. He scrambled up the stairs two steps at a time, using both hands to grab the railings on each side. He seemed to be in urgency to look for a way out.

Fatefully at the 4th floor, there was a door ajar. But it was not the exit door. The door led to a machine room where some wiring works were being done. It was left propped open with a metal rod to prevent wires from being crushed. It was dark inside.

By this time, the wife had found him missing from their room and had alerted security, who started searching for him. A guard entering the stairwell from the ground floor saw a hand on the railing between the 4th and 5th floor. He called out but received no response.

Next, CCTV at the hotel driveway recorded the man falling onto the driveway at 3:25 am. The body bounced once from the impact and landed partly on its side.

At the inquest held a year later, the court heard that CCTV at the hotel rooftop on the 24th floor did not record the man there, implying that he did not go to the rooftop which was accessible to guests because there was a pool there. The court surmised that the man must have entered the machine room on the 4th floor when he found the door ajar. On the other side of the machine room, there was another door that opened up to a service roof (see attached pics). The service roof was not lit and had no railings, just a ledge 17 cm high and 13 cm wide. The court surmised that in the dark the man must have accidentally tripped over the ledge and fell to his death from the 4th floor rooftop.

The drop from the service rooftop to the ground was stated at 13.3 metres. The body was reported to be about 3.5 metres from the front of the hotel, which is about right judging from photographs. Now, putting aside all the other strange circumstances, I wonder if it is really possible for the body to land 3.5 metres away if it was an accidental fall. I hope some experts here can provide insights. The man was about 1.75-1.78 m tall and likely around 75 kg.

These two captures from google earth show the approximate spot where the body landed (red circle) and the presumed spot from the rooftop where he fell from (yellow circle):

View attachment 264416
View attachment 264417
Engineer here. I got 1.67 seconds for the fall, and the body traveled 3.5 m horizontally. That is roughly 2m/s initial horizontal velocity, which would be awfully fast to be running. However, we don’t know how much horizontal distance the bounce added.
Can’t be completely sure, but I think it is well within the bounds of plausibility that he fell on his own.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faithfülly
Back