Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a case of a missing man in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area last year who disappeared at the St Patrick's Day parade in Scranton. He was a student at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia who came home for the weekend. His name was Matthew Grendel. He was found a couple months later floating in a body of water.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?s=6575761

Thank you NoDramaMamma..I will start a thread for our PA vics and quote you and your link.

Thanks Shadow, I wonder how his case maps out as far as where he left the party and where his dorm and the pond was? Geographically does where he was found make sense?

It seems like in alot of these cases the ending point doesn't match up to where these guys would have logically been headed to such as their home, car, etc.

I'm a student at Ithaca College, and the path he was taking home is consistent with where he was coming from and where he was trying to go. Also, police seem to have (rather quickly) ruled out foul play in the matter.

Not sure how much stock I put in what they rule out, but nevertheless, it's something to bear in mind.

According to people I know and have talked to who were at the party, though, he wasn't drunk enough that he would have just drowned. It doesn't make sense. In addition - that is NOT a deep pond. At it's deepest point, it's only about 8 feet. It's also slightly off the path - he would've had to walk off the path and down a slight incline to get to it.

Worrying stuff.

ithaca student here. This is the pond.
85731496yc7.png

pondmt1.png

050108_Diver.jpg

(edit: imgs don't show up here- wtf kind of forum is this?)

Anyway, the route he took home was perfectly logical, especially because 96B- the alternate route, is a large 55 mph road that is dangerous to walk late at night.

The pond is at the bottom of a steep embankment on the side with the road. It is feasible that a drunk person could fall down this embankment at night and possibly drown. However, there are no paths or walkways that go very close to the pond, certainly not close enough to fall in accidentally.

There are two ways to walk past the pond:

1) A trail that goes around it through some trees. The trail is lit at night as far as i remember and most people take this route.

2) The small road that curves past it with guard rails on either side- people don't typically go this way because there isn't much shoulder and cars could hit a person walking on it.

Also, literally thousands of people walk past this pond drunk every semester and there has never been a problem. There is absolutely no logical reason for someone to go close enough to the pond to accidentally fall in while walking past.

That article clarified something for me I think is posted differently in a few posts. SINSINIWA, was the last street Matt was seen on- not where he was found, as I have seen reported, was confusing to me so I thought I would share.:crazy:

You are exactly right Sinsinawa is where the smiley face was and also where they believe he was placed in the water. The detectives find these signs and graffitti at the point where they believe the victim entered the water. Not where the body was retrieved. And this Sinsinawa is in Illinois..although he was staying on the other side of the river. He was over on the Illinois side bar hopping and eating dinner.

I'm a student at Ithaca College, and the path he was taking home is consistent with where he was coming from and where he was trying to go. Also, police seem to have (rather quickly) ruled out foul play in the matter.

Not sure how much stock I put in what they rule out, but nevertheless, it's something to bear in mind.

According to people I know and have talked to who were at the party, though, he wasn't drunk enough that he would have just drowned. It doesn't make sense. In addition - that is NOT a deep pond. At it's deepest point, it's only about 8 feet. It's also slightly off the path - he would've had to walk off the path and down a slight incline to get to it.

Worrying stuff.

Welcome Cirrus and Randal-
What was the costume party for?

Thanks Cirrus and Randal! And welcome to WS!

ETA: So what I'm gathering is even though the route he took is correct, he still would have had to leave a trail to get to the pond.

85731496yc7.png

pondmt1.png

050108_Diver.jpg

Anyway, the route he took home was perfectly logical, especially because 96B- the alternate route, is a large 55 mph road that is dangerous to walk late at night.

The pond is at the bottom of a steep embankment on the side with the road. It is feasible that a drunk person could fall down this embankment at night and possibly drown. However, there are no paths or walkways that go very close to the pond, certainly not close enough to fall in accidentally. The most common route past the pond, infact, is a trail that diverts away. Walking on the road is risky because there isn't much shoulder and cars could hit a person.

Also, literally thousands of people walk past this pond drunk every semester and there has never been a problem. There is absolutely no logical reason for someone to go close enough to the pond to accidentally fall in while walking past.
R- sorry, could not load your links.

85731496yc7.png

pondmt1.png

050108_Diver.jpg

The pond is at the bottom of a steep embankment on the side with the road. It is feasible that a drunk person could fall down this embankment at night and possibly drown. However, there are no paths or walkways that go very close to the pond, certainly not close enough to fall in accidentally. The most common route past the pond, infact, is a trail that diverts away. Walking on the road is risky because there isn't much shoulder and cars could hit a person.

Wow great work..the map shows us his exact trail home.

Thank you so much..and welcome aboard.

Welcome to WS, Shultzan and NoDramaMama.

I am just so saddened by this young man's death as I am for the other young men who have been simply snuffed out at this time in their lives. I just had a feeling this was going to end the same way. LE has already said "no foul play suspected".

I think LE is so far behind the 8 ball now that they will never get around the alcohol factor thinking process. They have dug their feet in and refuse to investigate these cases. Their "locked in logic" has proven to be anything but effective in all of the cases we are seeing.

It certainly does appear to me that this young man almost made it back. Farm road is between the party and connect to the main campus road. I can't see a pond on the map I am using, but it would take him only a few minutes to walk back to campus from 105 Grandview Ave. If this pond is on campus...it means they wanted him found immediately. There were two other tributaries or creeks within a short distance where he wouldn't have been found for awhile like the others.

Shultzman, thanks for the journalistic view on the cases being you are close to the situation and you have been investigating. Keep it up! Excellent job.

DramaMama, I also have two kids in college and it makes me terribly uneasy. However, where they are doesn't seem to be in their target zone. Thank God. Of course, that could change in a heartbeat. :(

Hello!

The first I heard of these deaths was through the GMA spot - I've been reading up on all the cases since then. I came across this forum last night and found it very informative. I've been compiling a map on Google and it may be helpful to everyone. I'm keeping all the information in chronological order as well, so it could be used as a quick reference to anyone who needs.

I'll be lurking about, adding additional cases as quickly as I can (it's tragic, but there are so many points on the map already and I feel like I barely scratched the surface).

Just a side, the perk of coming public with the story is to possibly get new leads, but it always opens up the possibility of copycats.

Thanks again for everyone's hard work - this forum has been quite helpful for me and I only hope my map can help everyone else.

Cheers!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...3771,-87.70772&spn=13.71306,41.396484&t=p&z=5

I have been checking on calendar dates and ran across references to the Satanic Calendar. I never knew there was such a thing ..but it is how they corridinate their unholy days and rituals.

Anyway it really upset me because they actually list certain dates and weeks specifically for kidnapping and sacrifice. This is just getting too creepy and may not be involved at all..but I wonder how many of these kidnappings will cross reference with the dates on the calendar?

http://www.care1.org/articles/a23_calendar.htm#calendar

Welcome Cirrus and Randal. Great posts!

The photos are excellent, too. It gives a much clearer picture of the area. Even if he had rolled down the embankment...it is a pond! He could have stood up and gotten out as he wouldn't have rolled that far into the water from the bank of the pond. Makes absolutely NO sense. His friends said he wasn't that drunk. If he could walk and stand...there is no way I can buy this as an accidental drowning.

Welcome to WS, Cirrus, Randal and dont!

I think students should be vocal about their beliefs that these deaths are not accidental and are suspicious. I know in Madison the students' hinky meters are going off about the WI deaths. Here in MN, I think many students feel the same way. I have a stepdaughter and stepSIL at U of MN and they say all the students are talking about seeing a pattern. I guess if LE is digging in their heels, people have to make a lot of noise.

Eve

Cops ruled out foul play...

http://theithacan.org/am/publish/br..._rule_out_foul_play_in_death_of_student.shtml

ithaca college said:
There is no indication of foul play in the death of Ithaca College freshman William Jacobson, Ithaca and New York state police officials said at a press conference today in the Office of Public Safety lobby.
A State Police dive team found Jacobson’s body in about eight feet of water in the Farm Road pond this morning. Acting Ithaca Police Chief Edward Vallely said there were no visible injuries on the body, and the location of the pond suggested Jacobson was taking a normal route back to his residence hall.
Jacobson was last seen leaving a party at 105 Grandview Ave. around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
Capt. Lawrence Jackman of the New York State Police said there were other factors that have led investigators to rule out any suspicious circumstances.
“There’s no indication there was trouble at the party,” Jackman said. “The path he was on is what we would expect he would be on returning to his residence.”
A vigil will be held for Jacobson at 8 p.m. in Muller Chapel.

Don't see how anyone could ever drown in that little pond. Maybe i could see someone falling down the embankment, hitting their head on a rock and falling face first into the water and drowning. But it is not easy to get knocked unconscious so much that you drown. And even if this were the case, the body would be clearly visible to the hundreds of people who walk by for the two days afterwards. So it wouldn't have taken a team of divers (who planned to search the pond beforehand without knowing he was in there) to find his body. The pond doesn't exactly have rushing torrents so it's not likely that the body was moved once it fell into the water at the bank.

Welcome to WS, Dontfollow. You did a great job mapping those out. This is just a baffling case right now by all accounts.

I wish they would release a bit more on what type of group they suspect is involved since the Detectives have singled out a few of them. Maybe with this latest unexplained death, they will feel it neccessary to come out about them.

Wow they closed that investigation quick didn't they..alittle too quick I might add.

If they don't come out about what "group" is doing this, they are leaving so many more at risk. Even if they don't identify them by name, they need to identify the "group" so people can be aware of them.

I wish they would come out with more info too SS. They keep using terms like evil, group, gang...but when I think of pure evil I think of a cult where there is structure and an heirarchy. Just mindboggling that there could be so many people out there all tied together for a horrid common cause..murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biph