CANADA Canada - Deborah Silverman, 21, Toronto, bound & shot,12 August 1978

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Toronto woman's body found in Brock Township 40 years ago • The Brock Voice
silverman.jpg

"After spending the evening before socializing with a group of co-workers, 21-year-old Silverman was last seen in the early morning hours of Saturday, Aug. 12, 1978 in the City of Toronto, according to police.

Police say she had driven her own vehicle, which was subsequently found in the parking lot at her apartment building on Bathurst Street.

According to a 2005 OPP poster regarding the case, Silverman’s purse, keys, and jewellery were found at the rear door of her apartment building.

Three months later, Silverman’s body was located “in a shallow grave” on a property on Concession 2 of Brock Township, southeast of Sunderland.

A $50,000 reward continues to be offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for murdering Deborah Silverman. If a caller prefers to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or submit information online at https://www.tipsubmit.com/.

Police think one man murdered two women

Toronto Star - Monday March 30, 1992

Two Victims: Deborah Silverman, and Alison Thomas both vanished one month apart in 1978. Silverman’s body was found three months later.

Two young Metro women who vanished about a month apart 14 years ago are cases that police believe may have been the work of a serial killer.

Deborah Silverman and Alison Thomas had both been in the Yonge St.-Eglinton Ave. area on the nights they vanished in late summer, 1978.

Silverman, a 21-year-old receptionist, had been out with friends at a disco on Eglinton Ave. before driving home alone later that night on Aug. 12.

Police said she was attacked just as she was walking into the back door of her apartment building on Bathurst St., near Finch Ave., around 3 a.m.

Investigators believe she struggled with her killer, who ripped off her clothes, leaving behind her panties and her purse just inside the door of the building.

Three months later, her body was discovered in a shallow grave in the Sunderland area, north of Whitby.

Her hands were tied behind her back. She had been shot to death.

She may have been followed home a man who frequented the same bar, one detective said.

Just over a month later, 26-year-old Alison Thomas went to a dinner party at a home in the Yonge and Eglinton area.

She left by herself late that night on Sept. 29 telling friends she was going to walk to a taxi stand on Yonge St. and take a cab home.

It was the last time anyone ever saw, or heard from her again.

Wondering if the killer followed DS from the disco ( which one?) or if she was grabbed by someone loitering near her apartment building?
Could the perp have been a cab driver?

Some may have thought CO was responsible, although if he was the killer, one would expect that he would steal DS's purse and jewellery too.
imo, speculation.
The devils you know: We need to have a greater understanding of serial killers’ mind
2012 Peter Worthington.
"Olson is judged to have averaged up to five thefts or robberies a day, a sexual assault every day, a murder a month.

He literally raced across the continent stealing and scamming and maybe killing.

There’s evidence he might have been involved in the unsolved Toronto murder of Debbie Silverman in 1978."

Last edited:
Maybe a cab driver (would they have to get the cab back at a certain time or were drivers driving their cars home?), or friend of someone from the building. Maybe someone followed her?

Seems likely it wasn't someone from the building itself. It would be a big risk not being home if the police came knocking. At the time of the abduction the person grabbing her would have no idea how long she would be missed. Also going by the articles that were ripped off and left behind, it seems very likely she put up a fight and they probably would be a bit worried someone heard the commotion.

Have always wondered if 2 men were involved here. If DS was fighting back, no one reported hearing any screams. It could be some did hear and did not want to get involved though.

Could one have been holding a hand over her mouth while they had her in a type of choke hold while the other grabbed her legs (also ripping off her panties for a shock effect?) and carried her to their vehicle?

Have always wondered if 2 men were involved here. If DS was fighting back, no one reported hearing any screams. It could be some did hear and did not want to get involved though.

Could one have been holding a hand over her mouth while they had her in a type of choke hold while the other grabbed her legs (also ripping off her panties for a shock effect?) and carried her to their vehicle?

Absolutely I think two were involved but there is also the chance she may have been knocked out and wouldn't be able to fight or have been heard. In that case one person could get her out to the car. But all the articles left behind sounds like more of a struggle and leads back to two.

Notes on Debbie Silverman case (with files from Toronto Star (September 17, 1978)

• The morning she disappeared she told her mother: “I wanted to come to talk to you at work last night, but I didn’t want to bother you.” What did she want to talk about?
• The day of her disappearance she went out for lunch with three other employees, two men and a woman. They made plans to go dancing on a double date. Both men were under suspicion of murder. Both said they were brought in for questioning countless times, and that they’ve been followed by police.
• Gina Jorgenson, was Debbie’s closest friend.
• Debbie’s date that night was a red-headed car mechanic. He admitted to Jorgenson that he had a crush on Debbie even though it was their first date.
• They tried to get into Friday’s on Eglinton but then walked around the corner to Camelot Steak House and Tavern and went to the disco in the back.
• “We stayed at the place till it closed. Then we drove to Mississauga,” Debbie’s date says. “I drove her car.”
• They dropped off Pam, the other girl, and then the two men and Debbie went to Pam’s date’s house on Arbor Road, Mississauga. His parents were not home. Note: That’s a long way to go (about 45 minutes), depending on where Pam lived.
• “While the other guy played pool downstairs, I sat and talked to Debbie from about 2:30 to 4:30,” her friend said. “She was so tired that I asked her about 10 times to stay the night.” Instead, it appears that Debbie insisted on leaving.
• Mrs. Silverman says she could always hear when Debbie came home, because no matter what time it was, she would pull into the parking lot past her mother’s bedroom window with her car windows open and the stereo radios blaring. But her mother did not hear her arrive. Note: Was her mother just too tired and missed it? Did Debbie just have the radio turned down? Or did someone else drive her car? See next point.
• Debbie always parked her car off by itself on an angle in the corner of the outdoor parking lot beside her apartment building. It was the furthest spot from the door, but it was the only way she could be sure her beloved car would be out of scratching range.
• It seems she locked her car in it’s usual spot at about 5 a.m. Saturday morning and walked 80 paces to the side door. A row of bright spotlights illuminate the entire length of the building. But just next to the chipped yellow entrance, there is a deep, wide indentation. Note: Was it parked at the angle as usual? The article doesn’t say exactly, but it sounds like it was.
• But those lights would probably have lit up a car following her in as would the headlights, unless Debbie just wasn’t paying attention or the car had shut off their headlights. Very possible. More likely the person was already there parked near the entrance with their lights off and the car shut off.
• Still the likelihood is that it was two people. It would be easier to control a person especially to drive the distance they seemed to have done if you think they were straight to Sunderland and she was killed that day. One person to drive and one to control Debbie.
• Possible one person was already inside and when the person who was outside grabbed Debbie when she opened the door, the other person grabbed her and they carried her immediately to the car?
• The article states - Debbie probably put her key in the side door, and then back into her white vinyl purse when she opened the door. Probably, someone grabbed her from behind. Pieces of her gold chain necklace with a star of David on it and pieces of her hair clinging to it were found later, lying outside on the pavement.
• Inside the long narrow side hallway, her purse, containing credit cards, wallet, make-up, keys, were found lying on the worn orange and brown print carpet. So were her lace-trimmed panties.
• Unbelievably, tragically though, the police knew none of this until 15 hours after it occurred. Within an hour after Debbie was probably attacked and abducted, a tenant saw her things lying on the floor.
• Instead of reporting it, he took everything into his apartment, looked through it, stole the gold jewelry, and then left the purse, with the underwear neatly folded inside it, outside the Silverman’s apartment door. Police didn’t track him down until a door-to-door search led them to his apartment at 9 p.m.
• At the time of this article, police were looking for a “strange” man named John, in his mid-20’s, who used to hang around Debbie, telling her lies about what a wonderful job he had, what a wonderful life he would give her if she would marry him.

Any connection to the murder of Christine P?
She was attacked after an evening out, her belongings strewn, it is believed that there were two assailants. fwiw, speculation, imo.
CANADA - Canada - Christine Prince, 25, Toronto, 22 June 1982

Re: Christine Prince

"Several people walking to work along Sewells Rd., about 800 metres north of Finch Ave. E. where Sewells meets the Rouge River, spotted a body lying face down in three feet of water and called police. The body was later identified as Christine Prince by her employer, Mr. Kruzick. Scouring the isolated area, police found the murder scene about 200 metres upstream from where the body was found, off a small track in the bush that was known as Lovers’ Lane. It was later established that Christine had been raped and brutally beaten there, but that she had died of drowning, either at the hands of her assailant or as a consequence of her incapacitating injuries. Police found a set of tire tracks that were later traced to a four-wheel drive Toyota model, but they were unable to conclude that the vehicle was involved.

Police tentatively linked the Prince case to the attempted rape of a woman on Humewood Ave. on May 30th. The woman was walking south on Humewood at 7:30 a.m., on her way to work at a downtown hospital, when she was attacked, but she managed to bite the assailant’s hand and run into the middle of the street where she alerted a passing motorist. The suspect in that attack was vaguely described as a slim black man about 6 ft. tall.

In 1985, the police department commissioned the FBI to do a suspect profile of the Prince killer. FBI profilers surmised Prince was kidnapped by two men, since the act was swift and met with little resistance. They think she was bound by the wrists and taken to a place familiar to the perpetrators. One of the men is likely the leader, and he committed the rape and murder while the other stood by.

Two items she always wore were missing: a distinctive gold ring with two hearts joined together and a gold coloured watch.

Along this lane, police discovered rope which they believe was used to tie her wrists as well as her clothing and her purse which contained everything except her wallet and a Kodak instant camera."

Last edited:
In the Prince case, one retired Detective believes her murder was connected to the murder of Pauline Dudley in Milton, Jacqueline English in London, Delia Adriano in Burlington and Susan Aldworth.

His suspect lived in the vicinity of the crime scene, and there were a number of similarities in the Prince and Pauline Dudley homicides, including:

• Both victims were taken to isolated wilderness areas.
• Both homicides occurred under cover of darkness.
• Both victims were beaten about the head and sexually abused.
• There was no attempt to completely conceal the bodies.

Also both Jacqueline English and Prince were left in creeks adjacent to wilderness areas, both suffered blows to the head, both Prince and Susan Aldsworth’s purses were missing, and the suspect had penchant for traveling in the early morning hours as he was a salesman.

The suspect had been at Tramps (a bar located on Bloor Street east of Kipling in Etobicoke, about 10 kilometers south of the abduction) on June 20, 1982, on the night, or early morning, when Prince was abducted.

The Burlington address was the suspects previous residence. He was residing in Scarborough at the time of Adriano’s homicide.

The suspects place of employment was only a quarter mile from where Delia Adriano worked.

Christine Prince was the first victim of five who suffered similar fates. Christine Prince, Delia Adriano, Valerie Stevens, Lynda Shaw and Cindy Halliday – were stalked, kidnapped and driven to remote areas where they were murdered between early spring and late summer, between 1982 and 1992.

• The bodies of five of the victims were discovered in lovers’ lanes – wooded, remote areas down back roads often frequented by teenagers. No effort was made to conceal the bodies.
• At least three of the slayings indicate a fetish for neatness: jackets folded neatly and shoes placed side by side at the murder scenes.
• Most of the victims were transported many kilometres from where they were abducted.
• Expressways figure in five of the slayings, either for stalking and transporting the victims, or as a place to later dump the victims’ belongings.
• The killer kept personal effects from some of the victims such as items of clothing, a shoe and jewellery.

Maybe a cab driver (would they have to get the cab back at a certain time or were drivers driving their cars home?), or friend of someone from the building. Maybe someone followed her?

Seems likely it wasn't someone from the building itself. It would be a big risk not being home if the police came knocking. At the time of the abduction the person grabbing her would have no idea how long she would be missed. Also going by the articles that were ripped off and left behind, it seems very likely she put up a fight and they probably would be a bit worried someone heard the commotion.

I was wondering if it could've been someone hanging around outside the building, just watching and waiting for a woman to enter or exit alone, and then DS just happened to be alone, and that was that?

Perhaps he / they parked in the parking lot and just watched then followed her inside?

The necklace and the hair attached to it that was found later, made me think that perhaps the necklace came off in a struggle? Someone grabbed from behind and she clawed at them to try to get a breath, and the necklace broke off in the process?

I always suspected Catherin Potter and Lee Kirk were killed by the same person that killed Deborah Silverman.

Lee Kirk and Catherine Potter were taken from young St, and they were found on October 3rd 1971, in a gravel pit near Pickering. My father actually lived near this gravel pit and it was off Brock Rd and Consession(?)

Both girls were picked up on Young St, and both were found in the Durham Region. Not only that but Debbie Silverman was also found near the same plot of land Christine Jessup was found on. I believe it's within walking distance.

Last edited:
I always suspected Catherin Potter and Lee Kirk were killed by the same person that killed Deborah Silverman.

Lee Kirk and Catherine Potter were found on October 3rd 1971, on a gravel pit. My father actually lived near this gravel pit and it was off Brock Rd and Consession(?)

Both girls were picked up on Young St, and both were found in the Durham Region. Not only that but I believe Debbie Silverman was also found on the same plot of land Christine Jessup was found on.
Thanks, had forgotten about those murders, catching up on their thread..
Ws
CANADA - Canada - Lee Kirk, 15, & Kathy Potter, 13, Toronto, 1 Oct 1971
Also mentioned on that thread as possibly connected..
CANADA - Canada - Donna Stearne & Wendy Tedford, both 17, Toronto, 26 April 1973

Lee Kirk and Catherine Potter were taken from young St, and they were found on October 3rd 1971, in a gravel pit near Pickering. My father actually lived near this gravel pit and it was off Brock Rd and Consession(?)

Both girls were picked up on Young St, and both were found in the Durham Region. Not only that but Debbie Silverman was also found near the same plot of land Christine Jessup was found on. I believe it's within walking distance.

Christine was found I think within about 9 miles of where Debbie Silverman was found...
The way I understand it Christine was found in photo 1 area (?).
Debbie was found in photo 2 area (?)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 4.41.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 4.41.10 PM.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 4.42.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 4.42.38 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
If you google map the area... its scary how close both bodies were found to each other, several years apart. I tried to grab a screen shot and make a diagram, but Websleuths site keeps saying it is too large for their server. Will try again in a bit.

Ok... this is a map with a rough line cutting through the fields that I think shows where Debbie was found, and then where Christine was found... this is only a rough sketch, based on what I've read here and elsewhere....

Attachments

• DC MAP 1.jpg
    DC MAP 1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 22
Also... I realize this is the forum for Debbie Silverman, but... since she was found close to where Christine ended up being found... I think I'm going to mention an interesting point I learned from reading the original Toronto Star Archives from when Christine went missing...

On Oct 12, 1983, a few days after Christine went missing, on page A8 of the Toronto Star, there was an article that mentioned another missing girl, Cheryl Hanson. That child vanished not from her home in Aurora, Ontario on May 31, 1974. I realize that is a good ten year span, and Cherly wasn't ever found dead or alive... but... is it POSSIBLE, that the three cases are connected? Google where Cheryl vanished from... now look where the others were found... Thoughts?
Also, interesting to note per the Tor Star article, Cheryl Hanson's school principal was also Christine's godfather. I'm not suggesting he is responsible, but what are the odds that you'd be somehow connected to not one, but TWO small missing children several years apart??

Last edited:
Also... I realize this is the forum for Debbie Silverman, but... since she was found close to where Christine ended up being found... I think I'm going to mention an interesting point I learned from reading the original Toronto Star Archives from when Christine went missing...

On Oct 12, 1983, a few days after Christine went missing, on page A8 of the Toronto Star, there was an article that mentioned another missing girl, Cheryl Hanson. That child vanished not from her home in Aurora, Ontario on May 31, 1974. I realize that is a good ten year span, and Cherly wasn't ever found dead or alive... but... is it POSSIBLE, that the three cases are connected? Google where Cheryl vanished from... now look where the others were found... Thoughts?
Maybe..
Other murders have also been mentioned in relation to Cheryl Hanson @ thread..
CANADA - Canada - Cheryl Hanson, 7, Aurora, Ont, 31 May 1974

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
localghost