Defense Taphonomy Expert

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think in some cases, the entire specimen used for a particular test is used up, for instance in a root sample the test would certainly use that up. But there were bones of Caylee's which were allotted to the testing process and I doubt these were consumed in testing. ANY testing that is necessary should in theory reach similar results no matter which bone is used, so I would think that the bone sections that were set aside for testing, which were NOT returned to the Anthonys as a part of Caylee's remains may still be out there and accessible for such a purpose, should the defense wish to pursue that.

Standard protocol requires that "split sampling" be made available to the defense,WHENEVER POSSIBLE, that is exactly what it sounds like, the crime lab takes some "stuff" and then saves the rest UNPROCESSED if and when the defense wants to evaluate it. If an entire unknown is consumed, then the defense should request all records of the testing protocol....including the "infamous LKB bench notes". Sometimes if the alleged perp is in custody and under counsel, the court will sanction/mandate the defense expert's attendance as the testing protocol is performed (RARE!). And as an FYI, there have been times where forensic pathologists hired as expert witnesses by a defendant have witnessed the primary autopsy (in most jurisdictions it's the ME's call to extend the welcome)

True, BUT... the 'experts' will be interpretating the data according to what the person giving them their paycheck wants them to say. I'm not saying they're lying per se, but any data can be twisted or misrepresented in order to make their point. Which is why I, personally, don't much weight to what any 'expert' has to say.

Unfortunately, SuziHawk, this will be the battle of the experts, IMO..Since it is mostly based on the evidence found, there is no confession, there was nothing left of Caylee but bones and all the evidence found with Caylee, links right back to the Anthony home..JMHO

The jury will have to depend on this battle of the experts and who is more believable...I wonder if everyone is aware of Dr. Lee's antics and how he was accused of withholding evidence in the Lana Turner trial. His reputation is less than stellar, IMO..I even question the alleged "17" hairs Dr. Lee found in the pontiac after CSI went over it with a fine tooth comb. I remember CA giving LE the incorrect hair brush which IMO, manipulated the outcome of the haira tested. Instead of it coming exclusively to Caylee with a death band, it was either Inmate Anthony's or Caylee's hair, as TMcL stated Inmate Anthony said something to the effect, well, I'm still alive! So I do wonder if CA gave Dr. Lee a bunch of hair from one of the brushes she has at home..I don't trust Dr. Lee and I'm hoping other people if chosen for the jury are aware of him and be very weary...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

My very first thread, so please be gentle. Erase this if it's already been talked about on another thread.

Of all the experts talked about in the hearing today, the one that interested and confused me the most was the Taphonomy expert. I am interested to know how the defense is going to use this expert at trial. According toWikipedia, "Taphonomy is the study of decaying organisms over time and how they become fossilized (if they do)".

We all know Caylee's remains were not there long enough to be fossilized unless Baez is going with the remains are not hers because they've been there for hundreds of thousands of years, so what was found was a hundred thousand year old fossilized skeleton. It doesn't sound too far out a place for the defense to go, but I don't think that's what they want this expert for.

Continuing with Wikipedia:

"Archaeologists study taphonomic processes in order to determine how plant and animal (as well as human) remains accumulate and differentially preserve within archaeological sites. This is critical to determining whether these remains are associated with human activity. In addition, taphonomic processes may alter biological remains after they are deposited at a site. Some remains survive better than others over time, and can therefore bias an excavated collection.

Experimental taphonomy testing usually consists of exposing the remains of organisms to various altering processes, and then examining the effects of the exposure."

Sounds to me like Baez is trying to use science, through Taphonomy, to explain how Caylee's remains were placed at the disposal site at a later date. I really hope good notes and pictures were taken before Caylee was cremated because this expert does not have her actual bones to look at. Does this sound right to you people that are way more science oriented than me? What are you thoughts on how this expert could impact Casey's defense?

One would think Jeffery Bones who is recognized as the keeper of the Bones Farm at the University of Tennessee would be a wonderful expert who could determine, by condition in which Caylee was found, meet the qualifications to determine how long Caylee had been left in her grave. Wonder if he has been contacted about this case?

Dr. Bones maintains an extensive farm of bodies of which covers several methods the body is kept in to develop an expert opinion of many things relating to that particular body.

Perhaps Dr. Bones will have an opportunity to provide his expert opinion of the condition Caylee was found.

Novice Seeker

Murder Docket Updated:

11/24/2010 Motion to Appoint Expert in Taphonomy

Here is HHJP's order denying the Taphonomy Expert:

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...& Procedures for Future Motions 5-12-2010.pdf

Yup, Denied Without Prejudice.

Judge Perry is allowing the Defense to request a Rogers Hearing and that the Expert may appear via video conferencing at that hearing..

Perhaps this new motion by the Defense is to name the Expert and request a Rogers hearing...
Jeff Ashton objected to this when Baez (and his smirk) mentioned a Taphonomy Expert at a hearing...

Funny how things like DNA and Forensic Entomology that are widely accepted sciences are considered "Junk Science" by the defense, but "touch dna" and taphonomy, two sciences that are not widely accepted imo, are to be considered the real deal. :snooty:

I think that the defense wants a Taphonomy Expert for the purpose of discrediting Dr. G's testimony about the manner of death.

According to Henry Lee's book "The Real World of a Forensic Scientist".... pg104

Complicated cases often involve scientists from other disciplines. Each incident has its own specialized demands, but in general the death investigator needs to determine what must be done in order to obtain the most accurate incident reconstruction that satisfies both scientific and legal requirements.

Recall Todd Macaluso...accident reconstruction attorney. Ummmmmmmm what accident?????

In today news Defense is asking for money to hire a bone and fossil expert? Caylee's remains were cremated? How can they help when said remains are no more?

Would Prosecution or Defense hold on to a Caylee bone? Did Cindy find a bone (Wouldn't surprise me !!!) and say it wasn't Caylee's?

Really, help me understand how this would be a benefit to defense or anyone when the bones have been cremated?:banghead:

Thanks

Charleyann

In today news Defense is asking for money to hire a bone and fossil expert? Caylee's remains were cremated? How can they help when said remains are no more?

Would Prosecution or Defense hold on to a Caylee bone? Did Cindy find a bone (Wouldn't surprise me !!!) and say it wasn't Caylee's?

Really, help me understand how this would be a benefit to defense or anyone when the bones have been cremated?:banghead:

Thanks

Charleyann

Hi :wave:
We already have a Thread discussing this, Taphonomy Expert.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104092"]Defense Taphonomy Expert - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Who is the Taphonomy expert? Do we have a name?

I have a vague memory of it being said that part of one bone (thigh maybe?) was saved for future testing, to give a portion to the defense, etc. I cannot provide a link, just saying I do believe this was said at some point after the autopsy.

This couldn't be what a taphonomy? (even my computer has this word underlined in red! lol As if to question---you sure you got this right? ha) person would be interested in though could it? I mean the bones have been moved from the site......I don't get where he's going with this. Sounds inapplicable to me.

moo

----------------
doogiesgirl,I remember that also.I could be wrong but I think Dr. G. has one or gave it to someone for safe keeping.The femur maybe?

No name, yet.
Maybe the name will be listed in the Motion.

-------------
In the JAC response they said as an indigent KC. cannot pick and choose experts from out of State.They would have to pick one from FLA. if its ok'd..Ive been waiting to hear that!! These are my words but they are in the response..

Funny how things like DNA and Forensic Entomology that are widely accepted sciences are considered "Junk Science" by the defense, but "touch dna" and taphonomy, two sciences that are not widely accepted imo, are to be considered the real deal. :snooty:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I think that the defense wants a Taphonomy Expert for the purpose of discrediting Dr. G's testimony about the manner of death.

According to Henry Lee's book "The Real World of a Forensic Scientist".... pg104

Complicated cases often involve scientists from other disciplines. Each incident has its own specialized demands, but in general the death investigator needs to determine what must be done in order to obtain the most accurate incident reconstruction that satisfies both scientific and legal requirements.

Recall Todd Macaluso...accident reconstruction attorney. Ummmmmmmm what accident?????

I am glad you reminded me of this and TM. I wonder if the Defense are going to blindside the Prosecution with an accident theory as a desperate Hail Mary rebuttal.

While you'd expect it to be too late to take that route it is never too late when you are desperate and it'd certainly throw the Jury for a major curve ball given the questions around CoD and it being Murder or not ... so as a complete surprise it could still fly.

JB' compelling story that ... now it all makes sense? Ugly coping?

O/T but I always loved Debate in high school and learning how to debate, properly...Baez obviously did not take that class.

IMO Baez's argument/motion to appoint a Taphonomy Expert is weak at best.

He showed no true need for such an expert, he presented no compelling argument.

:twocents:

JB/CM are arguing that the State has duplicated witnesses, yet they have listed Kathy Riechs, who is a forensic anthropologist, Richard Eikelenbloom for anthropology/DNA, and Dr. William Rodriguez, forensic anthopologist. This is just crazy!

JB/CM are arguing that the State has duplicated witnesses, yet they have listed Kathy Riechs, who is a forensic anthropologist, Richard Eikelenbloom for anthropology/DNA, and Dr. William Rodriguez, forensic anthopologist. This is just crazy!

bbm
IMO
Baez wasted much of this motion "bickering" over what the State has and complaining about the Prosecutor.

:twocents:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hewitt.BC