WI Diane Olkwitz, 19 Menomonee Falls, WI Nov. 3 1966; Murdered

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Ms. Sleuth

Reaction score
Cold Case: Diane Olkwitz
Menomonee Falls, WI secretary at Kenworth Manufacturing Co. stabbed over 100 times. Murder has yet to be solved. Here is a link with all the information surrounding the case. This article has been newly released and has all the updated information related to Diane's case.

In 1966, a Menomonee Falls secretary was stabbed more than 100 times. Her murder has never been solved.

7c611f08-5f0c-4181-89a7-95c0323beed5-olkwitz_diane_mug_ps.jpg

Additional articles
Allied Manufacturing, Inc. v. Department of Industry, Labor & Human Relations, 45 Wis. 2d 563 | Casetext
Archive Details | WTMJ-TV News Search
Homicides | Menomonee Falls, WI - Official Website
MUST READ Tina Davidson murder | Racine History
confessed killer?! Clipping from Waukesha Daily Freeman - Newspapers.com
This source must be looked into further. I have not been able to read more into it since it is a book, but I am pretty sure that when searching about Diane, the serial killer mentioned is not her murderer. They are still investigating today as to who killed her according to my previous article. MUST READThe Devil at Genesee Junction
In 1966, a Wisconsin secretary was stabbed more than 100 times. Her murder has never been solved

Diane Olkwitz was stabbed more than 100 times in a Menomonee Falls factory on Nov. 3, 1966. Her killer has never been caught.

Fifty-three years later, family members cling to the hope that her murder will be solved.

Diane, 19, was a secretary at Kenworth Manufacturing Co., a metal stamping plant in the 13700 block of West Silver Spring Drive. She had worked there since graduating from Menomonee Falls High School 18 months earlier.

7c611f08-5f0c-4181-89a7-95c0323beed5-olkwitz_diane_mug_ps.jpg

Diane Olkwitz is shown in her senior portrait from Menomonee Falls High School, Class of 1965. (Photo: Courtesy of Olkwitz family)

Kenworth employed 25 factory workers, whose weekday shifts ended at 3:30 p.m. Diane, the only secretary, remained alone until 4:30 every afternoon to answer calls and accept late deliveries. After work, Diane would pick up her best friend, Diane Zimmer, at her nearby workplace and the two would drive home together.

On Nov. 3, Diane was late picking up Zimmer. Concerned, Zimmer accepted a ride with her employer’s wife, who offered to take her to Kenworth. There, they found Diane’s car in the parking lot. Peering through a window of the plant, they saw Diane’s purse on a desk and her coat hanging near the closet, but no sign of Diane. All the doors were locked.

In 1966, a Menomonee Falls secretary was stabbed more than 100 times. Her murder has never been solved.

Diane J. Olkwitz
BIRTH 27 Sep 1947
DEATH 3 Nov 1966 (aged 19)
BURIAL
Saint Marys Cemetery
Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA
Olkwitz, Diane J.
Of Menomonee Falls, Thurs., Nov. 3, 1966, aged 19 years, beloved daughter of Robert and Irene (nee Schmitz), sister of Mrs. Nancy Armstrong, Dennis, Edward, Patricia and Debra. Granddaughter of Mrs. Anna Biertzer, also other relatives survive. Funeral Mon., Nov. 7, at 9 a.m. from the Haack Funeral Home, Menomonee Falls to St. Mary’s church at 9:30 a.m. Interment church cemetery. Vigil Sun. at 8 p.m. In state Sun., after 2:30 p.m.
(Published in the Milwaukee Journal – Nov. 5, 1966)

LINK:
Diane J. Olkwitz (1947-1966) - Find A Grave...

Diane J. Olkwitz
BIRTH 27 Sep 1947
DEATH 3 Nov 1966 (aged 19)
BURIAL
Saint Marys Cemetery
Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA
Olkwitz, Diane J.
Of Menomonee Falls, Thurs., Nov. 3, 1966, aged 19 years, beloved daughter of Robert and Irene (nee Schmitz), sister of Mrs. Nancy Armstrong, Dennis, Edward, Patricia and Debra. Granddaughter of Mrs. Anna Biertzer, also other relatives survive. Funeral Mon., Nov. 7, at 9 a.m. from the Haack Funeral Home, Menomonee Falls to St. Mary’s church at 9:30 a.m. Interment church cemetery. Vigil Sun. at 8 p.m. In state Sun., after 2:30 p.m.
(Published in the Milwaukee Journal – Nov. 5, 1966)

LINK:
Diane J. Olkwitz (1947-1966) - Find A Grave...

-Case Summary Part 2-

Despite many leads and persons of interest in the early days, Stephanie’s case grew ice cold and media coverage ceased a few months after the discovery of her remains. Almost two decades later, in March of 1988, a new suspect would come to light who would be overlooked almost immediately. In February of ’88 a woman called deputies to tell them that she believed her brother may have been involved in Stephanie’s murder. She shared that her brother had worked at the restaurant with Stephanie the night she disappeared and that members of her family, including her brother, had lied to police during their initial investigation of Stephanie’s murder. From the article it also appears that this woman’s brother may have up and moved to Hawaii on July, 15, 1969, just days after Stephanie’s body was found. It was reported that her 39-year-old brother, who would have been *20* at the time of the murder, was living in Kurtistown, Hawaii at the time the article was written. He had a completely clean record, however, so this man was never questioned by Milwaukee or Honolulu police, and it appears that’s where that lead dries up.

I can only speculate who may have killed Stephanie, but if I were to have to give my opinion on who the best suspect is I'd lean towards the former coworker that moved to Hawaii. All of these persons of interest and others should really be looked into again, in my opinion.

The above suspect mentioned above by waunakeegan also lived in the Menomonee Falls area as late as 1964 and would have been in his mid-teens before moving to Milwaukee and age 18 when Diane died. Both victims died of stab wounds.

Circumstances are a bit different, but note that the attack on Diane occurred just over a month after the stabbing murder of Valerie Percy near Chicago.

Circumstances are a bit different, but note that the attack on Diane occurred just over a month after the stabbing murder of Valerie Percy near Chicago.
True. I think the VP case was political and even mob related and other than all three cases were stabbings, I don't see the VP case connected to these two, though several of the characters in the VP case did have a connection to Wisconsin (Appleton, Black Creek).

Attachments

• Olkwitz & Erdmann.jpg
    Olkwitz & Erdmann.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have not heard of this case until today. Probably one of Wisconsin's oldest cold cases. Hopefully her killer will be brought to justice. This sounds like it was committed by someone she knew. Possibly a co-worker.

“Shortly after, Hierlmeier, who had been drafted into the Army, left for basic training at Fort Hood, Texas.

Lonely without him, Diane signed up for swimming and knitting classes in the evenings and took a part-time job as a hostess at the local Dutchland Dairy restaurant to fill the hours. She was scheduled to work the day she was killed.”

I wonder if someone she met at swim class or even her knitting class took an interest in her and she refused. She also was scheduled at the restaurant that day. Coincidence or not?
MOO

Last edited:

Multiple stab wounds
“Diane died of massive hemorrhaging due to multiple stab wounds to the chest, neck and head, according to James Welch, the Waukesha County coroner at the time.

She had been stabbed 106 times with a knife that likely had a 3½-inch blade with one cutting edge.

The wounds measured from one-half to three-quarters of an inch wide and from 2¼ to 3¾ inches deep.

She had at least 30 stab wounds in her head, neck and face, and 35 in rows down the sides of her back, where she had been stabbed repeatedly while on her stomach.

There were defensive wounds on her arms and the back of her hands. Her nose had been broken.

Diane was found with her knit dress pulled up between her legs and partly off her shoulders but her undergarments undisturbed. She had not been sexually assaulted, Welch determined.”

Diane fought like hell. This was a personal/targeted attack. After she was defenseless and on her stomach the perp proceeded to stab her over and over and over. I believe he started to sexually assault her, then was scared off by a noise- a phone ringing, perhaps? Agree with LE, this was someone that either worked at the facility or was just familiar with the layout and her being alone at closing time. Not an opportunistic killing IMO, this was an advance-turned-down murder. Would be interesting to see the DNA tested with today’s technology, especially compared to the prime suspect, the owners son:

“Diane’s family and close friends pointed police toward one person in particular, her employer’s son, whose unwanted advances had frightened Diane.

“She was terrified of him,” her sister Patti said. “He obviously was attracted to her and had been bugging her to go out with him. And she just didn’t want anything to do with him.”
Police questioned the employer’s son extensively, but he had an alibi as well. He said he had been with family members at the time of the killing. His family backed him up.

It wasn’t long before leads began to dry up. The evidence sent to the FBI didn’t result in any break in the case. Police were forced to move on to other crimes.

Weeks turned to months and months to years, and Diane’s unsolved murder hung like a dark cloud over the department.

“The case was always on the minds of anybody who worked there,” Schramm said.

DNA profile created
The advent of DNA technology in the 1990s gave Diane’s family and police renewed hope her case could be solved.

A DNA profile was created from evidence found at the crime scene and entered into CODIS, the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System that looks for matches with convicted offenders.

Despite the millions of profiles in CODIS, a match was not obtained.

Police tracked down early suspects to gather DNA samples, but again there were no matches.

The one suspect they were most interested in getting a sample from — the employer’s son — had died in 1991. Despite his alibi, his obsession with Diane had always made him the prime suspect in the eyes of the police. Unfortunately, his body had been cremated and the whereabouts of his remains were unknown.

Police sought and received a court order to exhume the bodies of his parents to obtain DNA samples for comparison with the crime scene profile. Again there was no match.”

MOO IMO

A Janesville Daily Gazette article from Nov 4, 1966, stated, "Dr. Helen Young, Milwaukee Medical Examiner who performed an autopsy, expressed the opinion that Miss Olkwitz and Miss Thompson were killed by the same man. She said there was a definite similarity between the wounds of the two young women."

Sheryll Thompson, 19 was murdered Monday, October 17, 1966 and Julia Beckwith, 10, was murdered Sunday, Sept 4, 1966. Both were from Milwaukee.

Attachments

• olkwitzmurder2.jpg
    olkwitzmurder2.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 4
A Janesville Daily Gazette article from Nov 4, 1966, stated, "Dr. Helen Young, Milwaukee Medical Examiner who performed an autopsy, expressed the opinion that Miss Olkwitz and Miss Thompson were killed by the same man. She said there was a definite similarity between the wounds of the two young women."

Sheryll Thompson, 19 was murdered Monday, October 17, 1966 and Julia Beckwith, 10, was murdered Sunday, Sept 4, 1966. Both were from Milwaukee.
Found this on Julia, still looking for Sheryll.
Julia Beckwith (1955-1966) - Find A Grave...

“She had been stabbed, beaten, raped and strangled.”

IMO she was not a victim of the same perp that murdered Olkwitz & Thompson. Would be odd to change his MO that drastically. MOO

Found this on Julia, still looking for Sheryll.
Julia Beckwith (1955-1966) - Find A Grave...

“She had been stabbed, beaten, raped and strangled.”

IMO she was not a victim of the same perp that murdered Olkwitz & Thompson. Would be odd to change his MO that drastically. MOO

Michael Lee Herrington, son of a Kansas City policeman, was charged with the murders of Sheryll Thompson, 19, murdered Monday, October 17, 1966 and Julia Beckwith, 10, who was murdered Sunday, Sept 4, 1966. He confessed to their murders and the stabbing of 11 year old Kathleen Dreyer in Nov, 1966. He denied any connection to the Olkwitz murder.

Michael Lee Herrington, son of a Kansas City policeman, was charged with the murders of Sheryll Thompson, 19, murdered Monday, October 17, 1966 and Julia Beckwith, 10, who was murdered Sunday, Sept 4, 1966. He confessed to their murders and the stabbing of 11 year old Kathleen Dreyer in Nov, 1966. He denied any connection to the Olkwitz murder.
Wow. Not impossible, but not typical to see, changing the MO, not staying consistent. But it isn’t always the case, obviously. Thanks for posting.

I have news for all members sleuthing the Diane Olkwitz Cold Case. I have not read this thread.

There is a YouTube channel called Faces Of The Forgotten. They do cemetery walks and look at gravestones.

They were at the grave of Diane Olkwitz last July. According to the host Ron, something has become available for DNA testing. He did contact the Menonomee police and since July nothing has been done.

I said I would reach out to Websleuths. He is looking for LE in this case, he can be contacted at the email address on the thumbnail.

He is willing to pay for the DNA testing. #Ozram. So the money is not an issue. The lack of communication from the Lea concerned is the issue. Can anybody on Websleuths get LE to take that evidence to a lab for which a private citizen will pay?

I'm going to hope and pray someone here can take the next step because this is all I can do. Screenshot_20220130_165503_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_20220130_165521_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_20220130_165538_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220130_165503_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220130_165503_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 9
There is a thread here for her, last comment was 2020.

There is evidence that can be tested in this case. The Menonomee LE were contacted last July, but nothing has happened.

The man on the thumbnail is called Ron, he runs the Faces Of The Forgotten channel on YouTube. He is willing to pay for the DNA to be tested #Ozram. He can be contacted at the email address on the thumbnail.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but nobody has commented on that thread since 2020, I'm looking for someone who can contact the LE in Menonomee who can then contact Ron and arrange for the (free to LE) DNA test to be done. Forgive me if this is the wrong place.

Screenshot_20220130_165503_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_20220130_165503_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_20220130_165538_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

There is a thread here for her, last comment was 2020.

There is evidence that can be tested in this case. The Menonomee LE were contacted last July, but nothing has happened.

The man on the thumbnail is called Ron, he runs the Faces Of The Forgotten channel on YouTube. He is willing to pay for the DNA to be tested #Ozram. He can be contacted at the email address on the thumbnail.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but nobody has commented on that thread since 2020, I'm looking for someone who can contact the LE in Menonomee who can then contact Ron and arrange for the (free to LE) DNA test to be done. Forgive me if this is the wrong place.

View attachment 331922 View attachment 331924 View attachment 331925

Menomonee Falls Police Department

Police | Menomonee Falls, WI - Official Website

Chief Mark Waters

Physical Address
W156 N8480 Pilgrim Road
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
Phone: 262-532-8700
Fax: 262-532-8769

policefeedback@menomonee-falls.org <policefeedback@menomonee-falls.org>;

Staff online

Members online