Did You Know That Patsy Spelled Advise Wrong In The Sample RN?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Did You Know That Patsy Misspelled Advise In The Sample RN?

• Yes, I Knew That Patsy Misspelled Advise.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • No, I Had No Clue That Patsy Misspelled Advise, Until Holdon Pointed It Out In A Thread.

Votes: 121 81.8%

• Total voters
I have an issue with spelling, myself. I have read that it is hereditary. I don't think I would have noticed "Advise" being spelled wrong, if it had not been pointed out here.

Is it spelled "Advise" in the RN and in her samples? If so, why would she do that on purpose? Wouldn't that make her look more guilty?

It is spelled "advise" in the ransom note and "advize" in PR's samples.

Is there a thread where people discuss the pineapple? I am new here, and I get lost on side thoughts whenever I start digging around =)

There used to be a thread called "The Pineapple Snack" but it was since either hidden or deleted by a moderator because of bickering. There's still another thread here called "The Importance of the Pineapple", though. Welcome! :)

It is spelled "advise" in the ransom note and "advize" in PR's samples.

There used to be a thread called "The Pineapple Snack" but it was since either hidden or deleted by a moderator because of bickering. There's still another thread here called "The Importance of the Pineapple", though. Welcome! :)

THANK YOU!

And if it is of any interest to the people following this thread, as a poor speller, I will sometimes spell a word right, sometimes wrong. In this case, it would be feesable that I would have spelled it correctly when I wasn't thinking about it. If I stop to think, the words can become incredibly difficult.

I also read that she wrote out $118,000 in words, not the numbers.

I also find it notable that she wrote "Please take the time to listen very carefully" in her sample notes. Very strange to me. Just further evidence of distancing I believe.

I also find it notable that she wrote "Please take the time to listen very carefully" in her sample notes. Very strange to me. Just further evidence of distancing I believe.

Patsy wrote "Please take the time to listen carefully..." because that's what was dictated to her.

Yes...on purpose. It would be downright silly to think that Patsy,a Journalism major and college graduate,wouldn't know how to spell advise.Read or listen to the news...you'll hear 'such and such was advised to...'.Especially in legal terms..and on that note,perhaps Patsy was advised to misspell the word advise?

How many words have the letter z in them anyway?Not many mainstream words.
I don't know what it means when PR made the mistake, but this is a common mistake for someone trying to write American English. Many verbs that end in -ize in American end in -ise in other varieties of English. Someone writing maximise knows to make it maximize for American English. They may wrongly thing advise similarly becomes advize.

Adding to this confusion, there is the similar word advice.

As to why PR may have misspelled it, I wonder if she had a Southern accent in which the long I sounds more like ah. Maybe the person dictating had an I that sounded more like the standard long I, which under the stressful situation caused her to mistakenly write a Z, emphasizing the silent E making the I long.

I do not know what any of this reveals about who wrote the note or her mental state. It seems logical that a "foreign faction" would make the American Z mistake, so it's backwards that the note got it right and her sample got it wrong. I don't read much into it.

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Why does it matter that PR apparently doesn't know how to spell Advize? She spelled it the same, using her right and left hand? Why does that matter? (I'm truly asking here, because i don't understand).

When I first saw this thread I thought both the Ransom note and PR's handwriting sample had the same odd misspelling, which would be damning, but that's not the case, is it? It's merely that PR doesn't know how to spell advise, and she proved it twice?

BTW, I had a boss who couldn't spell recruit, although one of her major tasks (that she wrote on lists all the time) was recruit volunteers. Regruit is how she'd spell it. Mystifying. There's a guy here on the radio, owns a huge jewelry store, he pronounces it jury, not jewelry, although that's his business. Go figure.

Misspelled or not, it means nothing unless you can find any other samples of her spelling it incorrectly. Some think she was purposely misspelling words as well.

Misspelled or not, it means nothing unless you can find any other samples of her spelling it incorrectly. Some think she was purposely misspelling words as well.

Her daughter was brutally murdered a while before the sample was taken. I believe in that instance, I might misspell some words too. I'm not sure I could sit down and write a coherent sentence that looked like my usual handwriting, actually.

Her daughter was murdered several months before the writing samples were taken. Although the event was surely traumatic, it was not fresh. There are suggestions that she was misspelling it to throw investigators off her track.

Her daughter was brutally murdered a while before the sample was taken. I believe in that instance, I might misspell some words too. I'm not sure I could sit down and write a coherent sentence that looked like my usual handwriting, actually.

No matter, I spell things right one minute and spell the same word wrong the next. My gut feeling tells me that Patsy was just messing with them, just like when they asked her to write $118,000 and she wrote "One hundred and eighteen thousand dollars", and just like how she changed her "a" after the crime. Patsy definitely showed a huge amount of deception when it came to that note. The question is why? ;)

No matter, I spell things right one minute and spell the same word wrong the next. My gut feeling tells me that Patsy was just messing with them, just like when they asked her to write $118,000 and she wrote "One hundred and eighteen thousand dollars", and just like how she changed her "a" after the crime. Patsy definitely showed a huge amount of deception when it came to that note. The question is why? ;)

Picture this. You're seated for the handwriting sample, and are having things dictated to you that you have to write.

How would someone communicate to you to write $118,000? They would say, "write one hundred and eighteen thousand dollars", wouldn't they? And so why would you transfer the text dictation to numerals? Why not write what was dictated, which is the long-hand style of the number?

Picture this. You're seated for the handwriting sample, and are having things dictated to you that you have to write.

How would someone communicate to you to write $118,000? They would say, "write one hundred and eighteen thousand dollars", wouldn't they? And so why would you transfer the text dictation to numerals? Why not write what was dictated, which is the long-hand style of the number?

Yes, but she would have known the RN was in numbers.

Maybe I'm missing the point here. Why does it matter that PR apparently doesn't know how to spell Advize? She spelled it the same, using her right and left hand? Why does that matter? (I'm truly asking here, because i don't understand).

I think the suggestion is that she threw in a misspelling so it can be singled out- someone could say she doesn't know how to spell advise but it is spelled correctly in the RN. Normally, they would be looking for uncommon misspellings between the examples.

Plenty of journalism grads make spelling errors. Especially with this particular word, which I have looked up before because I see people use so many variations of it. I am obsessive about spelling and grammar, although less so on a forum like this, as I tend to write in a stream-of-consciousness format. When I write for professional purposes, I edit repeatedly, and am often asked to proof others' work. Most people, even educated professionals, make some pretty glaring errors. As some have mentioned, the British v. American English differences on words with that ending can lead to a lot of confusion. I like analyzing writing samples, but I don't think this indicates anything devious. I can believe she didn't know how to spell that but was generally a good speller. The "and hence" thing people have mentioned before is intriguing, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back