Discussion between the verdict and sentencing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In today's news, UK , Judge sentences killer aged 14 to life , convict laughs during sentencing

Judge Richard Hone QC told Burton: 'You killed a totally innocent family man with a knife. In that primeval split-second of anger and stabbing there is probably no distinction between an intention to really seriously injure with a knife and an intention to kill.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ked-hand-stolen-watch-LAUGHS-jailed-life.html

Me too buntspecht, I think we will be waiting for a long time. I keep imagining JM saying at sentencing that the poor wee soul (or the SA equivalent as JM isn't Scottish AFAIK) has suffered enough...it's a shame, his life is in ruins, career cut short, massive paper hankie bill, expense of installing green buckets in every room in his house blah blah. Then she'll give him a suspended sentence and OP and his revolting family will continue to behave exactly as they wish without consequence, just because they can. Something I have wondered about is this - is perjury not against the law in SA, because JM made it clear in her ruling that she believes OP lied under oath?

Oscar made to face the damage he did to Reeva and rightly so -- it was his wretching into the green bucket in Court that was reaction to the consequences he was facing from his actions in my opinion, as well as what he'd done to Reeva
- his pist-o-bucket... http://imgur.com/s2gF27d
Think the family know that his story didn't add up, they listened to all his contradictions in his testimony, they will know he was lying
http://i.imgur.com/sakuE1f.jpg

Me too buntspecht, I think we will be waiting for a long time. I keep imagining JM saying at sentencing that the poor wee soul (or the SA equivalent as JM isn't Scottish AFAIK) has suffered enough...it's a shame, his life is in ruins, career cut short, massive paper hankie bill, expense of installing green buckets in every room in his house blah blah. Then she'll give him a suspended sentence and OP and his revolting family will continue to behave exactly as they wish without consequence, just because they can. Something I have wondered about is this - is perjury not against the law in SA, because JM made it clear in her ruling that she believes OP lied under oath?
BIB - I wondered about that too. But I guess since she let him get away with murder, the perjury doesn't even warrant mentioning, in her view.

Oscar made to face the damage he did to Reeva and rightly so -- it was his wretching into the green bucket in Court that was reaction to the consequences he was facing from his actions in my opinion, as well as what he'd done to Reeva
- his pist-o-bucket... http://imgur.com/s2gF27d

Yes, I don't think he is used to having to face consequences for his actions. I think he feels far more sorry for himself than for the people he has hurt.

In post #1480 in Trial Discussion Thread #53 PrimeSuspect wrote, in response to me,

"I don't know what trial you listened too but that isn't true. In fact Nel ALWAYS used Reeva's name."

shortened with respect...

A lot ro read, thank you for the work. Oh how would I love to have a transcript of the trial. Its good to read Nels arguments.

OSCAR PISTORIUS VERDICT A DONE DEAL. THIS IS A 'MUST READ': http://www.dispatchlive.co.za/gen/oscar-verdict-a-done-deal/ CPA APPEAL MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE - AT ALL. NOT EVEN IF HE IS GIVEN A NON-CUSTODIAL SENTENCE.

Do any South African criminal law experts know if evidence of incompetent reasoning by judge on matters of fact and law can be grounds for review or re-trial? (God forbid the latter.)

All I can say is Judge Greenland, a former High Court judge, said Masipa got it wrong. That coupled with top advocates currently practising, one an expert in constitutional law, are saying the same thing. As soon as Masipa ruled out dolus eventualis they were immediately tweeting her incorrect interpretation of the law. That's good enough for me.

shortened with respect...

A lot ro read, thank you for the work. Oh how would I love to have a transcript of the trial. Its good to read Nels arguments.
Nel was brilliant

It's better to be kind than right sometimes

A much worse mistake is in the state's HOA, where "millimeters" is written place of "milligrams" over and over. That is a conceptual mistake, not just a typo, and it's so glaring that it boggles the mind that no one on the PT caught it.

Well, nobody is immune from a mistake, not even you or me. You are mistaken about milligrams. It should be millilitres but they type millimeters. They quote the record one of the times, and perhaps it was mistranscribed there or Nel did indeed misspeak as they do sound so alike. I guess it really doesn't matter, mistakes are there to be made aren't they?

Nel showed amazing grasp of concept, principle and logic time and time again during the trial. He often exposed conceptual flaws or faulty/missed ideas in the understanding of supposed experts in their field, usually with no preparation or consultation, despite not being able to even pronounce a lot of the things he was discussing. I have to say, on this aspect he was seriously impressive.

Nel was brilliant

It's better to be kind than right sometimes
I think Nel who works for far less money than Roux,, did his best given the shoddy police work at the scene and that corrupt policeman Botha who was first on the scene with Van Rensburg who did the Prosecution no favours at all, and probably lost the State the Case, as it could certainly have been more watertight had Botha not been thrown off the Case and got so much wrong from the outset at the Bail Hearing.

He looks as if he's only just managing to hide the smirk.

Lux et veritas, he looks as though he is holding back a smile there; obviously I can't read his mind but would hazard a guess that he's thinking "see, told you I always win"

Edited to add Cherwell: snap!

Vile, contemptible little creep. I hope somehow he gets what he deserves.

He does. I saw another photo in the side panel of a paper, which I can't find now. It showed him getting into the car and he definitely looked as if he had failed to control his smirk by that point.

I think I need a green bucket.

the way he starred intently at the Judge at the end of the Court session on Friday as if he was trying to influence her,........made me really angry, he must have been sooo relieved she bought into his ridiculous lies, he must think she's as much of a mug as everyone else he's fooled along the way.

In post #1480 in Trial Discussion Thread #53 PrimeSuspect wrote, in response to me,

"I don't know what trial you listened too but that isn't true. In fact Nel ALWAYS used Reeva's name."

That's quite a claim. Always? That's setting the bar at audacious Pistorian levels. I mean, all you had to do was a basic search on the internet. If you had, you'd find that your claim is not even close to being true. In fact, in doing a little research, I would now wager that Nel used "the deceased" in court more often, perhaps much more often, than "Reeva". That would be laborious to prove. Here's what I can prove:

As for links, I haven't included one for each quote. But you can search on google for [Nel Pistorius "the deceased"] and get lots of hits. You'll be able to verify the above without too much effort.

cant do a BIB in tapatalk
...all you had to do was a basic search on the internet..

you cant always do a search. maybe he searched other things.

I'm very interested in subjective things, things that people think and their impressions, feelings, emotions.

cant do a BIB in tapatalk
...Sorry PrimeSuspect, but your claim is not reasonably possibly true....

humour, thanks.

Here is one.

Sorry it is so big - all the better to see his smirky little mouth though. I wish I could find the other picture I saw.

Oscar-Pistorius-leaves-on-bail-from-the-North-Gauteng-High-Court.jpg

Is there a way to opt out of seeing pics of poisonous Pistorius, the sight of him nauseates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487