Discussion Thread #60 - 14.9.12 ~ the appeal~

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You beautyl! Still a chance for more appropriate justice to come.

Is the same true for Count 4?

Yes.

In the end the SC can decide what cases it wants to hear.

These screening procedures exist primarily to stop defendants tying up Superior Courts with frivolous appeals.

The point of then is not to stop state seeking clarification of legal principles.

One hopes State seeks leave from the SC on the ammo possession.

IMO they might left sentence drop as it is not the main game in town.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 23s23 seconds ago
Mncube says state still considering whether it will petition Appeal Court for right to challenge OP culp sentence and ammo charge acquittal.

If, as mrjitty says, "the SC can itself look at the sentence", would the same apply to the ammunition denial?

I'm a day late and a dollar short - I just missed the whole thing.

Good grief. Got the time wrong.

Just watched the tape and will now read all the great comments, above.

Mandy Wiener @MandyWiener · 6m 6 minutes ago
#OscarPistorius Masipa has also ordered the State to pay defence costs for the sentence appeal

Mandy Wiener retweeted
David Smith @SmithInAfrica · 5m 5 minutes ago
Spoke to Henke #Pistorius who said: "I don't want to say anything before it's decided, but it shouldn't have gone this far."

I don't get that. Why does the state have to pay for the defense appeal costs?

Unconfirmed Reports filtering through from correction center that Mr Pistorius is sobbing and yelling "Reeva is the guilty one not me" over and over..

Oh no! But it was all over so quick, you didn't miss much! My live feed cut out at the crucial moment, so I missed it too, if that's any consolation.

OP must be in a real :panic: today and I’ll bet there are plenty of :tears: when he gets that :phone:

:noooo: it cannot be.

The mere thought of years in :jail: will be totally freaking him out.

His fellow inmates will come and :grouphug: and say :therethere:

Then he'll :scream: like a woman and a man at the same time and end up :puke:

Nastasya Tay @NastasyaTay
Follow

Prosecution admits things take time at the Supreme Court of Appeal; #OscarPistorius could even be out of prison by appeal time.

(Elsewhere I also saw media tweets suggesting his release could be by September)

ETA:

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 14 mins14 minutes ago

#OscarPistorius will be eligible for parole in September next year @eNCAnews

Nastasya Tay @NastasyaTay
Follow

Prosecution admits things take time at the Supreme Court of Appeal; #OscarPistorius could even be out of prison by appeal time.

(Elsewhere I also saw media tweets suggesting his release could be by September)

ETA:

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 14 mins14 minutes ago

#OscarPistorius will be eligible for parole in September next year @eNCAnews

Good point. What a whacky justice system

I forgot too and just saw a headline! Link to where you watched it please?

Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan
NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube: this isn't about winning. It's about justice #OscarPistorius @eNCAnews

Phakamile Hlubi @phakxx

.@eNCAnews NPA can't say how long it will take for the Supreme Court of Appeal to give them a date. #OscarPistorius

http://www.enca.com/oscartrial

2014/12/10 02:08

"Mncube says that if the NPA is successful at the SCA, the court would have to decide on an appropriate sentence."

==========

Question:

If the NPA won't/can't look at count 4, does South Africa have to wait until there is another funky decision on the same thing to try to appeal it OR are their legislative means through which to change/clarify the law on that?

Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 37m 37 minutes ago
Henke Pistorius: I don't think we should have gone this far @eNCAnews #OscarPistorius

Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 41m 41 minutes ago
Henke Pistorius is only #OscarPistorius family member in court. He's talking to attorney Brian Webber @eNCAnews

2014/12/10 19:06
Mncube says that if the NPA is successful at the SCA, the court would have to decide on an appropriate sentence.

2014/12/10 19:05
NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube says the NPA is happy with the outcome.

2014/12/10 19:04
NPA spokesman is now addressing media in the court.

2014/12/10 18:55
Keep track of future developments with the case by visiting out Oscar Pistorius coverage.

http://www.enca.com/coverage/oscar-pistorius-case

2014/12/10 18:53
Five judges sit "en banc" or collectively to hear cases in the Supreme Court of Appeal. There will be no witnesses, only legal arguments from the State and the defence.

2014/12/10 18:51
If the Supreme Court of Appeal agrees that Pistorius should have been convicted of murder, his sentence will change.

Daniel Williams ‏@Danielclearcut 5 mins5 minutes ago

#OscarPistorius father Henk just told me that #oscar is doing ok in prison. "He is strong he has got to be strong. He grew up like that."

Oh really? Is that why he cried and whined and puked like a baby in front of his surrogate mother for months? The only strong one in that court house was June, imo.

That not guilty verdict on illegal possession of ammo verdict is just surreal. I can't comprehend why that appeal wasn't granted. What if it had been cocaine?

Or a machine gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member