Discussion Thread #60 - 14.9.12 ~ the appeal~

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I'm happy for him I was simply having another dig and the old relic who ignored every word he said..................he must be seething inside I would be.

I'd be seething too. Let's face it, the whole PT and all of us were. She never even mentioned him once in her judgment IIRC. Unbelievable, and reprehensible.

“A company belonging to the family of convicted killer Oscar Pistorius has been implicated in an alleged price-fixing cartel believed to span more than 13 years.

Hendrik Pistorius & Co, the company founded by Pistorius’ grandfather Hendrik, has been charged by the Competition Commission for allegedly fixing prices in the agricultural industry since 1995.

The company is the bedrock of the Pistorius family’s wealth and is run by OP’s uncle, Leo.

“The commission has filed an application with the Competition Tribunal to have the company fined an administrative penalty of 10 percent of its turnover over the period of the alleged price-fixing .

In its application, the commission has alleged the company has been involved in fixing the prices paid to agents who distribute the agricultural product aglime, of which the Pistorius family is the largest manufacturer in South Africa”.

The legal representatives of Hendrik Pistorius & Co disputed the price-fixing allegations, but refused to comment further as the matter was subjudice.

“... and all (and every) allegations of price-fixing are absolutely denied.”

http://www.iol.co.za/business/compa...-fixing-cartel-scandal-1.1806040#.VLu7eaT9meV

It's obviously in the genes. They're liars, unprincipled, unscrupulous and killers. Bad apples don't fall far from the tree but this tree forms part of an orchard.

“A company belonging to the family of convicted killer Oscar Pistorius has been implicated in an alleged price-fixing cartel believed to span more than 13 years.

Hendrik Pistorius & Co, the company founded by Pistorius’ grandfather Hendrik, has been charged by the Competition Commission for allegedly fixing prices in the agricultural industry since 1995.

The company is the bedrock of the Pistorius family’s wealth and is run by OP’s uncle, Leo.

“The commission has filed an application with the Competition Tribunal to have the company fined an administrative penalty of 10 percent of its turnover over the period of the alleged price-fixing .

In its application, the commission has alleged the company has been involved in fixing the prices paid to agents who distribute the agricultural product aglime, of which the Pistorius family is the largest manufacturer in South Africa”.

The legal representatives of Hendrik Pistorius & Co disputed the price-fixing allegations[/B], but refused to comment further as the matter was subjudice.

“... and all (and every) allegations of price-fixing are absolutely denied.”

http://www.iol.co.za/business/compa...-fixing-cartel-scandal-1.1806040#.VLu7eaT9meV

It's obviously in the genes. They're liars, unprincipled, unscrupulous and killers. Bad apples don't fall far from the tree but this tree forms part of an orchard.

BiB…

A stark indictment of psychogenomic blanket non-reponsibility OR of acute desperate prejudice …

… either way, I believe the constructive and insightful exchange of ideas based on evidence has dwindled to be unfortunately replaced by Pistorius-bashing dogma.

I'd be seething too. Let's face it, the whole PT and all of us were. She never even mentioned him once in her judgment IIRC. Unbelievable, and reprehensible.

And.................Photo 55......................the photographers as well must be wondering wtf they have to do !!!

If she /and her assessors are not retired/disbarred after this then it really is a lost cause.

Here is the witness statements M'lady of several 'ear' witnesses to Reeva pleading/screaming for her life.

Sorry.......................I and the assessors believe they were mistaken even though OP was an 'untruthful' witness.
They never heard that they were mistaken .............................really?
She actually said that!

Photo 55 was made up and concocted by the forensic team...............yeah rite.

Disgraceful and a complete slur on the integrity of the Mangena's of this world it really is.

<Respectfully snipped>

10. Furthermore, how naive does one have to be to believe that once under arrest or under suspicion, Police investigators are desperately trying to prove your innocence !?!… Their job description is to gather evidence that will enable the State to lay charges and win convictions… that's how they get promoted and rise through police ranks… no Police officer was ever promoted on the basis of the number of established innocents !!

BIB This is totally incorrect. This is fact, not my opinion, and it doesn’t matter whether we’re talking the US, England or Australia. Available positions are advertised within the police force. To advance further, "requires officers to pass a written examination, an oral interview, and specific experience, fitness and residency requirements. An applicant's chance for advancement depends on his ranking, which is based on a written examination score and evaluations of his job performance. Once positions open up, the highest-scoring applicants appear for oral interviews before a panel that determines their fitness for promotion. Applicants can expect a probing of their background, credentials and management philosophy, according to "PoliceLInk" magazine. Many questions come from internal announcements and job descriptions. For example, if the description requires handling the lieutenant's duties in his absence, the candidate can expect to answer questions about that issue".
http://work.chron.com/police-sergean...ons-15515.html

Training and support are available to help individuals to move through the ranks into senior positions within the force. Promotion is not automatic and depends on the individual's own efforts. Candidates must demonstrate a real commitment to operational policing as well as having the ability to assimilate knowledge, provide leadership and make effective decisions.

While it may be true in books that the best cops get promoted, its definitely not the rule in real life. In the majority of departments, officers take extremely difficult written exams in order to promote to the next rank.

South Africa is very different in many respects and race is taken into account.

“Personnel who qualify have to apply and compete with their peers for advertised posts”.
http://www1.saps.gov.za/careers/promotions.htm

“The Solidarity trade union's case against the South African Police Service (SAPS) over its refusal to implement promotions on merit under its new ranking system, will be heard in the Labour Court in Johannesburg on 9 June 2014”
http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politi...b/en/page71654?oid=558521&sn=Detail&pid=71654

BIB This is totally incorrect. This is fact, not my opinion, and it doesn&#8217;t matter whether we&#8217;re talking the US, England or Australia. Available positions are advertised within the police force. To advance further, "requires officers to pass a written examination, an oral interview, and specific experience, fitness and residency requirements. An applicant's chance for advancement depends on his ranking, which is based on a written examination score and evaluations of his job performance. Once positions open up, the highest-scoring applicants appear for oral interviews before a panel that determines their fitness for promotion. Applicants can expect a probing of their background, credentials and management philosophy, according to "PoliceLInk" magazine. Many questions come from internal announcements and job descriptions. For example, if the description requires handling the lieutenant's duties in his absence, the candidate can expect to answer questions about that issue".
http://work.chron.com/police-sergean...ons-15515.html

Training and support are available to help individuals to move through the ranks into senior positions within the force. Promotion is not automatic and depends on the individual's own efforts. Candidates must demonstrate a real commitment to operational policing as well as having the ability to assimilate knowledge, provide leadership and make effective decisions.

While it may be true in books that the best cops get promoted, its definitely not the rule in real life. In the majority of departments, officers take extremely difficult written exams in order to promote to the next rank.

South Africa is very different in many respects and race is taken into account.

&#8220;Personnel who qualify have to apply and compete with their peers for advertised posts&#8221;.
http://www1.saps.gov.za/careers/promotions.htm

&#8220;The Solidarity trade union's case against the South African Police Service (SAPS) over its refusal to implement promotions on merit under its new ranking system, will be heard in the Labour Court in Johannesburg on 9 June 2014&#8221;
http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politi...b/en/page71654?oid=558521&sn=Detail&pid=71654

1. NEVER stated or implied Police investigators are promoted SOLELY on the basis of evidence gathering performance.

2. Bit in Red&#8230; How do you suppose a Police investigator's job performance is evaluated ?&#8230; Punctuality and attendance ??... A successful investigator will produce good* evidence (*which will hold up in Court) that will allow the State to lay charges and win convictions : that is what police investigators do, and therefore it reasons they will be evaluated on those basis.

3. Bit in Green&#8230; Do you believe said panel is purely objective, without any influence, emotions, bias or prejudice ? Consider the following panel : Masipa and the 2 assessors&#8230; do you believe they followed the Law objectively in OP's verdict ?

4. Quoting procedures is fine&#8230; however, stating as a proven fact the real world must and does function exclusively on said procedures is beyond naive IMO&#8230;

Do you actually believe no police officer was ever favored for promotion as a result of : fame in high profile case, heroism, nepotism, cronyism, bribery, etc&#8230; ?

Do you actually believe no police officer was ever passed for promotion as a result of : scandal, snitching on fellow officers, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc&#8230; ?

5. A trade union opposing a merit-based system for promotions&#8230; how cliché is that ?&#8230; which indicates most believe merit (rather than seniority or otherwise) should determine who is promoted.

Not that I've heard. At the time that article was published I wondered if he was converting cash into diamonds in order for Arnold to hold them for him until the end of the trial. The money market can be volatile whereas diamonds are going up in value all the time. It's probably irrelevant about OP having a licence because "Heno and Tom Kruger, apparently family members on his mother&#8217;s side, were involved in a diamond mine and therefore have a licence to deal in polished and rough diamonds".

Blood is thicker than water. The family connection is there. I rest my case.

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/oscar-diamonds/

BiB&#8230; Not sure I follow what you're implying ?

Perhaps it's a South African thing which I'm obviously not familiar with.

Is there anything illegal, immoral or even reprehensible in openly buying or selling diamonds and/or gold in a reputable well-known place dedicated to such trading ?

Is it uncommon for a white South African to have relatives somewhere in the family tree which are somehow involved in the business of diamonds or gold ?

BiB… Not sure I follow what you're implying ?

Perhaps it's a South African thing which I'm obviously not familiar with.

Is there anything illegal, immoral or even reprehensible in openly buying or selling diamonds and/or gold in a reputable well-known place dedicated to such trading ?

Is it uncommon for a white South African to have relatives somewhere in the family tree which are somehow involved in the business of diamonds or gold ?

Things are slow around here, so I will venture to butt in... I hope I am not off-base but I think it struck many people as suspicious, or at least curious, that Oscar would be seen in public dealing in diamonds at such a time. Since he was not known to be an active diamond trader and reportedly had to rely on his family's connections to be granted insider's access, it seemed like there could be some possible collusion to hide or transfer assets.

To me it was reminiscent of when Oscar's siblings and their family lawyer were summoned to the crime scene that night and were somehow allowed to spirit away the personal and financial contents of his home safe while Reeva's body was still growing cold on the tile floor downstairs.

Any transfer of assets arouses interest when an alleged criminal is potentially facing a wrongful death suit (or the SA equivalent.) Of course he may simply have needed to liquidate some of his diamond stash in order to help pay his legal bills.

Things are slow around here, so I will venture to butt in... I hope I am not off-base but I think it struck many people as suspicious, or at least curious, that Oscar would be seen in public dealing in diamonds at such a time. Since he was not known to be an active diamond trader and reportedly had to rely on his family's connections to be granted insider's access, it seemed like there could be some possible collusion to hide or transfer assets.

To me it was reminiscent of when Oscar's siblings and their family lawyer were summoned to the crime scene that night and were somehow allowed to spirit away the personal and financial contents of his home safe while Reeva's body was still growing cold on the tile floor downstairs.

Any transfer of assets arouses interest when an alleged criminal is potentially facing a wrongful death suit (or the SA equivalent.) Of course he may simply have needed to liquidate some of his diamond stash in order to help pay his legal bills.

Thanks, you make some interesting point(s)&#8230;

BiB : I believe the article made NO mention that OP was seen dealing diamonds or that he used family connections to gain insider's access to Jewel City

One should guard against misinterpreting the contents of an article or jumping hastily to nefarious conclusions :

1. The only thing required to gain entrance to Jewel City, as reported in the article, is valid identification (e.g. drivers license) and an appointment with someone that works there

2. The security staff have allegedly stated they see OP on a regular basis

3. As reported in the article, Jewel City welcomes both visitors and buyers&#8230; no mention of sellers though&#8230; perhaps as an unlicensed trader you can't bring diamonds of unknown origin and legally sell them in Jewel City

4. If OP was trying to surreptitiously (and perhaps illegally) liquidate diamonds, it would not make much sense for him to do it himself, being highly recognizable, sought after by the media, on bail during a criminal Trial, on numerous occasion, with identification and an appointment, in a public highly monitored place like Jewel City, etc&#8230; OP could risk having his bail privileges revoked when he could simply ask his uncle, brother, sister, father, aunt, to sell them in his stead.

5. Same argument as No4 if OP was trying to surreptitiously convert undisclosed hidden moneys into diamonds or gold

6. As reported in the article, Jewel City contains 300 shops, restaurants and coffee shops&#8230; it's not called a "City" for nothing : it's a BIG place with thousands of employees

Hence, the relevant question becomes why does the article not mention who OP had an appointment with, who repeatedly put OP's name on the list at the security gate ?&#8230; especially considering the strict security measures and log files, the availability of 4 independent witnesses, not to mention the chatty security guards.

Perhaps OP simply visits with a family member or a friend that works there&#8230; sharing a meal or a coffee&#8230; perhaps it had absolutely nothing to do with buying diamonds or gold&#8230;

&#8230; BUT providing the reader with this information (that most investigative reporters could easily obtain BTW) would make for a far less interesting article, wouldn't you say ?

<Respectfully snipped>

10. … Their job description is to gather evidence that will enable the State to lay charges and win convictions… that's how they get promoted and rise through police ranks… no Police officer was ever promoted on the basis of the number of established innocents !!

1. NEVER stated or implied Police investigators are promoted SOLELY on the basis of evidence gathering performance.

2. Bit in Red… How do you suppose a Police investigator's job performance is evaluated ?… Punctuality and attendance ??... A successful investigator will produce good* evidence (*which will hold up in Court) that will allow the State to lay charges and win convictions : that is what police investigators do, and therefore it reasons they will be evaluated on those basis.

3. Bit in Green… Do you believe said panel is purely objective, without any influence, emotions, bias or prejudice ? Consider the following panel : Masipa and the 2 assessors… do you believe they followed the Law objectively in OP's verdict ?

4. Quoting procedures is fine… however, stating as a proven fact the real world must and does function exclusively on said procedures is beyond naive IMO…

Do you actually believe no police officer was ever favored for promotion as a result of : fame in high profile case, heroism, nepotism, cronyism, bribery, etc… ?

Do you actually believe no police officer was ever passed for promotion as a result of : scandal, snitching on fellow officers, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc… ?

5. A trade union opposing a merit-based system for promotions… how cliché is that ?… which indicates most believe merit (rather than seniority or otherwise) should determine who is promoted.

10. To which I replied. “This is totally incorrect.” A tough written examination is the most important hurdle for them to cross before anything else is considered, and there are other more important criteria that are considered before merit and/or seniority.

Second quote:

1. I never said you did.

2. I consider your sarcasm rude and patronising. I know more about police investigators and criminal investigations than you could ever imagine. I also know exactly how a police investigator’s job performance is evaluated, and it’s not from anything I learned from a website.

3. Influence - no. The rest - it's possible. Who could ever know what prejudices are in a person's mind. However the panel who interview the applicants who've made it to this stage will not know the applicant. The panel of Masipa and the two assessors has absolutely nothing to do with the police and you can't make such a comparison as they're completely different entities.

4. I inserted the quotes for your benefit to show that this wasn't my opinion but fact. Once again, your sarcasm is completely unjustified. I know from my experience in the real world what I’m talking about.

Para 2 – After the initial culling of candidates, they’re required to sit before a panel who ask probing and difficult questions. None of the panel will know the officer on a personal level. The panel will have looked at their background and consider their past training within the force, courses completed and higher educational studies (which are quite important these days). “Fame in a high profile case”? No. One swallow does not a summer make. As you advance through ranks, management skills become increasingly more important.

Para. 3 – They could be passed over for anything detrimental in their policing history depending on what it is. As for Australia, gender, race and sexual orientation play no part. There’s a statement to this effect in every government position advertised. However, I can’t speak about other countries on this.

5. You can’t compare the SAPS to a police force in the US, England, and no doubt in the majority of EU countries. What the rank and file officers in SA and their trade union think is immaterial. The police union can have a loud voice but they don’t make the rules. For all I know, management is trying to bring their police force into line with others in the world. “Merit, seniority or otherwise” are not considered until much later in the process.

You, like everyone else here, is entitled to your opinion. However I was talking about facts, and facts that I’m personally aware of. You’re giving opinions. Two very different things. If you want to have a meaningful discussion, back up your opinions with facts and links. Your sarcasm is unwarranted and definitely not appreciated.

By the time of going to press yesterday, Anneliese Burgess, spokesperson for the Pistorius family, had not responded to questions about whether Oscar was doing business in the diamond and gold industry.

“You may not have a criminal record or be facing trial. Oscar would therefore not have been able to get a diamond trader’s licence in the past year,” a source said”.

It's interesting that Anneliese Burgess didn't respond to questions. She or the family invariably jump straight in when there's even a hint of something that might not be favourable to OP.

Just a little bit of info about Jewel City:

There are over 300 diamond dealers and jewellery manufacturers, the Diamond Board and State Trader Association, all housed in buildings covering six city blocks,

Visitors must pass through X-ray scanners at the photograph identification entry point. There is parking for about 137 vehicles for the more than 500 daily visitors who mainly purchase cut and polished diamonds.

http://showme.co.za/tourism/jewel-city-johannesburg-cbd/

The SAPS and the NPA announced that OP, but not the other motorist, would be charged with reckless and negligent driving.

Colonel Otto of the SAPS said OP had ignored several attempts by the investigating officer to take his statement about what happened. &#8220;One of the biggest reasons he is being charged is because he failed to co-operate with the police investigation,&#8221; she said.

Nathi Mncube, spokesman for the NPA denied this was the case. &#8220;He has the right to remain silent, there must be evidence to bring such a charge,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;We prosecute based on the evidence that&#8217;s available,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If he was involved in an accident either he or the other driver was responsible and our view, based on the evidence we have, is that he was responsible.&#8221;

Kenny Oldwage declined to comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Oscar-to-be-charged-over-motorway-crash.html

The SAPS and the NPA announced that OP, but not the other motorist, would be charged with reckless and negligent driving.

Colonel Otto of the SAPS said OP had ignored several attempts by the investigating officer to take his statement about what happened. &#8220;One of the biggest reasons he is being charged is because he failed to co-operate with the police investigation,&#8221; she said.

Nathi Mncube, spokesman for the NPA denied this was the case. &#8220;He has the right to remain silent, there must be evidence to bring such a charge,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;We prosecute based on the evidence that&#8217;s available,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If he was involved in an accident either he or the other driver was responsible and our view, based on the evidence we have, is that he was responsible.&#8221;

Kenny Oldwage declined to comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Oscar-to-be-charged-over-motorway-crash.html
I take it you mean Carl and not OP?

10. To which I replied. &#8220;This is totally incorrect.&#8221; A tough written examination is the most important hurdle for them to cross before anything else is considered, and there are other more important criteria that are considered before merit and/or seniority.

Second quote:

1. I never said you did.

2. I consider your sarcasm rude and patronising. I know more about police investigators and criminal investigations than you could ever imagine. I also know exactly how a police investigator&#8217;s job performance is evaluated, and it&#8217;s not from anything I learned from a website.

3. Influence - no. The rest - it's possible. Who could ever know what prejudices are in a person's mind. However the panel who interview the applicants who've made it to this stage will not know the applicant. The panel of Masipa and the two assessors has absolutely nothing to do with the police and you can't make such a comparison as they're completely different entities.

4. I inserted the quotes for your benefit to show that this wasn't my opinion but fact. Once again, your sarcasm is completely unjustified. I know from my experience in the real world what I&#8217;m talking about.

Para 2 &#8211; After the initial culling of candidates, they&#8217;re required to sit before a panel who ask probing and difficult questions. None of the panel will know the officer on a personal level. The panel will have looked at their background and consider their past training within the force, courses completed and higher educational studies (which are quite important these days). &#8220;Fame in a high profile case&#8221;? No. One swallow does not a summer make. As you advance through ranks, management skills become increasingly more important.

Para. 3 &#8211; They could be passed over for anything detrimental in their policing history depending on what it is. As for Australia, gender, race and sexual orientation play no part. There&#8217;s a statement to this effect in every government position advertised. However, I can&#8217;t speak about other countries on this.

5. You can&#8217;t compare the SAPS to a police force in the US, England, and no doubt in the majority of EU countries. What the rank and file officers in SA and their trade union think is immaterial. The police union can have a loud voice but they don&#8217;t make the rules. For all I know, management is trying to bring their police force into line with others in the world. &#8220;Merit, seniority or otherwise&#8221; are not considered until much later in the process.

You, like everyone else here, is entitled to your opinion. However I was talking about facts, and facts that I&#8217;m personally aware of. You&#8217;re giving opinions. Two very different things. If you want to have a meaningful discussion, back up your opinions with facts and links. Your sarcasm is unwarranted and definitely not appreciated.

A. I believe you have misunderstood my attempts at harmless levity as patronizing sarcasm&#8230; perhaps I should have peppered my post with emoticons&#8230; my bad

B. Sidestepping the Masipa question by stating "they're completely different entities" is not a very convincing argument to say the least. :)

Masipa and the 2 assessors were a panel just as any police panel : they were human beings in a place of authority that are supposed to follow procedures and ultimately render a decision.

Furthermore, Masipa and the 2 assessors were keenly aware they were being televised and scrutinized by the public of SA, the governing body of SA, the entire legal profession of SA and parts of the world&#8230; nevertheless, they managed to produce nonsensical, questionable and suspicious decisions.

Your argument, as I understand it, is that behind closed door, in an in-house proceeding without outside oversight, Police panels always uphold all procedures in the strictest manner and promotions are bestowed solely based on the results of said procedures&#8230;. Really ?? ;)

Why do you believe a police panel would be any different than any other panel in the public or private sectors ?

You even go as far as stating that Police officers/panels cannot be influenced !!!&#8230; basically, panel members are human beings impervious to fear and cupidity&#8230; no Police officer was ever successfully bribed, seduced, blackmailed, coerced, pressured, threatened or influenced in any manner into doing something&#8230; Again&#8230; Really ?? :)

C. Why do you suppose the Australian government enacted laws to protect against discrimination ?

Was it an exercise in righteousness ?...

Or was it because real people in the real world were in fact discriminating against others which had real negative impacts on their lives ?

&#8230; but I gather from your vast experience that Police officers and Police panels never discriminated against anyone for any reason. ;)

And if it happened in the past, it most certainly does not happen anymore because as we all know, once a law is enacted, no one would ever dare break it ! ;)

&#8230; especially since since discrimination charges are notoriously easy to prove in Court ! ;)

"As for Australia, gender, race and sexual orientation play no part. There&#8217;s a statement to this effect in every government position advertised"&#8230; as we all know, government publicly advertised position is always in sync with reality&#8230; no government official has ever said one thing and did its opposite. :)

D. BTW, you are the one who brought up the whole trade union argument and reference to bolster your case&#8230; now you flip-flop by stating "What trade unions think is immaterial"&#8230; if it is immaterial why did you bring it up in the first place ??

E. I maintain my opinion that you paint a totally unrealistic portrait of how things operate in the real world&#8230; the human condition is what it is, the good and the bad alike&#8230; police officers are no exception, they are not immune to it nor can they magically extricate themselves to operate outside of it.

F. You insist on boasting that your statements are facts because of your vast alleged experience in these matters&#8230; you should be aware that making such empty and unverifiable statements do no not add any weight or credence to your arguments.

On the flip side, you state outright that my statements are but mere opinions&#8230; how conceited is that ?&#8230; you don't know me ! :)

To be clear, I am not challenging the fact you may have pertinent and valid experience in Police matters&#8230; but stating the world must and does operate exclusively according to your personal experiences is problematic IMO.

G. You encourage me to back up my opinions with facts and links

Indeed, perhaps I could take a page from your book and simply state "I know more about police investigators and criminal investigations than you could ever imagine"&#8230; would that be sufficient to turn my opinions into facts ? ;)

As for links, I respectfully suggest you can find a great many cases of Police misconduct, corruption and dishonesty which will undoubtedly serve my case.

Let us not forget about the missing watch fiasco in the OP case&#8230; I'm not saying that it must have been a Police officer who stole it&#8230;

&#8230; BUT even Colonel Schoombie van Rensburg testified under oath he had no compunctions in believing one of his fellow Police officers stole the watch and he had them strip-searched.

By the time of going to press yesterday, Anneliese Burgess, spokesperson for the Pistorius family, had not responded to questions about whether Oscar was doing business in the diamond and gold industry.

&#8220;You may not have a criminal record or be facing trial. Oscar would therefore not have been able to get a diamond trader&#8217;s licence in the past year,&#8221; a source said&#8221;.

It's interesting that Anneliese Burgess didn't respond to questions. She or the family invariably jump straight in when there's even a hint of something that might not be favourable to OP.

Just a little bit of info about Jewel City:

There are over 300 diamond dealers and jewellery manufacturers, the Diamond Board and State Trader Association, all housed in buildings covering six city blocks,

Visitors must pass through X-ray scanners at the photograph identification entry point. There is parking for about 137 vehicles for the more than 500 daily visitors who mainly purchase cut and polished diamonds.

http://showme.co.za/tourism/jewel-city-johannesburg-cbd/

BiB : One should keep in mind the Pistorius family members are not elected public officials which are accountable to their constituents.

They are simple civilians which are not obligated to address or answer the questions put to them by journalists who are far more interested in publishing juicy rating-grabbing stories rather than a boring balanced viewpoint.

Considering the media frenzy surrounding them, I find it perfectly natural (even expected) for them to pick & choose questions.

O/T

View attachment 67782

"In the year 2029 this beard will look quite impressiv." (Twitter)

"..... said Carl, a mining consultant and part-time car dealer who is growing his beard until his younger brother is allowed to serve out his sentence under home arrest."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...jailed-athlete-s-life-bars.html#ixzz3PMBRVqFZ

:hilarious:

Refusing to shave one's beard in protest&#8230; Oh the humanity !&#8230; talk about weak convictions and even a weaker sacrifice.

Perhaps if Carl had opted for a hunger strike I could have taken his plight more seriously !!

JudgeJudi,

I'm realizing that with all the back and forth between us, you haven't really addressed the original issue&#8230; aside from telling me I'm totally incorrect :)

My original point of view was :

The primary function/role of Police detectives is to gather evidence with which the State can lay charges and ultimately win convictions.

Hence, the job performance of Police detectives is assessed primarily on the number of successful convictions obtained through their evidence gathering skills and their performance at Trial as State witnesses.

- A Police detective with a high conviction rate is deemed as having a good job performance

- A Police detective with a low conviction rate is deemed as having a poor job performance

If a Detective Sergeant position was to become available, it will be likely given to the detective with a high conviction rate (good job performance) rather than to the detective with a low conviction rate (poor job performance).

I'm not contesting the fact one must first apply to the position before being considered, just as one may have to pass a written exam&#8230; BUT obtaining the high score on an exam is NOT the determining factor, it is merely a prerequisite or at most a favorable indicator&#8230; Job performance is the determining factor IMO.

- Detective A obtained the highest score on the written exam but has botched and lost 80% of his cases either by way of the evidence (mishandled, lost, contaminated, chain of custody, inadmissible, etc.) and/or by way of his testimony at Trial (unprepared, crumbled under cross-examination, etc.)

- Detective B obtained the passing score on the written exam but has secured successful convictions in 80% of his cases.

Who is more likely to be promoted to the position of Detective Sergeant, Detective A or B ?

Just as for law graduates, obtaining the highest score at the Bar exam does not portend one will be a successful attorney.

If you believe I am mistaken, could you provide me (and other readers) with your point of view on this matter ? Specifically, on what exactly is the job performance of a Police detective based on ?

Why this subject was brought up in the first place :

Since a promotion means career advancement, more responsibility and more money, it follows Police detectives would want to obtain as many convictions as possible.

Herein lies the conflict* as Police detectives are incentivized to produce successful convictions for the State which will unfortunately but invariably lead some Police detectives to fabricate and/or burry evidence as well as perjure themselves at Trial.

As one cannot possibly differentiate a Police detective who will act in this unscrupulous manner from those who will not, my position was that it is a sensible precaution to always remain silent when being questioned by Police detectives.

* Notwithstanding other human nature factors : the fact people prefer to win rather than loose, the fact people are biased, prejudiced and have foregone conclusions, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude