Discussion Thread #60 - 14.9.12 ~ the appeal~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1493150_618162001595706_4596222232701962234_n.jpg

I haven't seen this pic until now (at facebook).
Still wondering about curly considerations, which led to think of a magazinrack as the cause of the wound on Reeva's back.

According to legal expert, Zola Majavu, the OP conviction appeal will be heard by a full bench of up to 5 judges, depending on the complexities and importance of the matter.

The judges will only require counsel to present their arguments and the matter won't continue for a long period of time.

"Matters of this nature do not drag for days on end because the judges would have had ample time to consider all the material that they need to enable them to make a decision."

http://news.iafrica.com/content_feeds/yahoonews/sa-news/974931.html

Sorry if I've steered into "off topic" territory....but I just don't understand the whole "Honorary Degree" custom. OP is now being stripped of this "honorary" degree, which I assume was handed out for his athletic achievements. Nothing at all to do with academics. Now they're stripping him of this honor, due to matters also unrelated to academics (as well as athletics).

So what is the point of these Honorary Degrees in the first place? Why not hand out a medal, plaque or some non-academic title to honor a person they want to honor? Seems like such a disservice to all those attending this University (and all the Universities where this is common place) that have achieved a degree through hard work and good grades (and considerable expense, I might add).

Sorry if off-topic. Just find this a joke. Did nothing to earn a degree, much less a Doctorate. Now it's stripped away. Boo Hoo :boohoo: (sorry, ... I know I sound cranky)

<Respectfully snipped>

Sorry if I've steered into "off topic" territory....but I just don't understand the whole "Honorary Degree" custom. OP is now being stripped of this "honorary" degree, which I assume was handed out for his athletic achievements. Nothing at all to do with academics. Now they're stripping him of this honor, due to matters also unrelated to academics (as well as athletics).

So what is the point of these Honorary Degrees in the first place? Why not hand out a medal, plaque or some non-academic title to honor a person they want to honor? Seems like such a disservice to all those attending this University (and all the Universities where this is common place) that have achieved a degree through hard work and good grades (and considerable expense, I might add).

Good question. I wanted an answer too, and it is a total joke.

"There must be thousands of unsung heroes and heroines in dozens of unknown workplaces who would provide better role models than the actors and athletes universities choose to honour.

What about those who quietly devote their lives to research, or use their knowledge and experience to improve the lives of those who need their help?"

http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2010/jul/14/why-do-celebrities-get-honorary-degrees

"In fact, an honorary degree is a degree honoris causa, Latin for 'for the sake of the honor'. They are not used to further one's career, fatten one's bank account or dress up one's resume. If anything, honorary degrees draw more attention to the college or university bestowing the honor, since it ties them to the (usually famous or well-known) recipient".

http://education-portal.com/articles/Whats_the_Value_of_an_Honorary_Degree.html

This last article gives a better explanation, but let's just say an honorary degree is just plain ridiculous.

Sorry if off-topic. Just find this a joke. Did nothing to earn a degree, much less a Doctorate. Now it's stripped away. Boo Hoo :boohoo: (sorry, ... I know I sound cranky)

Publicity stunt and getting your pic took with a celebrity..................that's it in a nutshell IMO

Some time ago we were looking for a transcript of Masipa's sentence. These two links are to the Judgment and the Sentence transcripts, complete with useful links to the citations. There are also links at the top of each to the original PDF version and a Word version.

Judgment: http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAGPPHC/2014/793.html
Sentence: http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAGPPHC/2014/924.html

Thanks for that. I already downloaded the verdict from Saffli last year but it was still unsigned and it had many "inaudibles" and in-corrections. The one you link is signed and has been corrected.

Roxanne Adams @roxanne_sheri • Jan 1
Going in2 2015 with amazing friends& family & my soul mate @deanomarsh84 by my side :) Also excited 4my new career path as an Advocate #2015

Roxanne Adams @roxanne_sheri • Jan 12
Last day at Ramsay Webber. Thank you to all my colleagues for making my time there so amazing! Going to miss the Firm and everyone there xx

Roxanne can be quite a little madam and needs to learn a few manners before she becomes an Advocate. She was very unprofessional from time to time - making faces at Nel, rolling her eyes, etc.

Surely the date for the appeal will be made public soon?

Roxanne Adams @roxanne_sheri &#8226; Jan 1
Going in2 2015 with amazing friends& family & my soul mate @deanomarsh84 by my side :) Also excited 4my new career path as an Advocate #2015

Roxanne Adams @roxanne_sheri &#8226; Jan 12
Last day at Ramsay Webber. Thank you to all my colleagues for making my time there so amazing! Going to miss the Firm and everyone there xx

Roxanne can be quite a little madam and needs to learn a few manners before she becomes an Advocate. She was very unprofessional from time to time - making faces at Nel, rolling her eyes, etc.
No doubt she'll appear on some sort of "Celebrity" Big Brother soon. Very very unprofessional woman.

I probably would not have believed it&#8230; but it's undeniable and unmistakable because plainly written black on white !

Roxanne Adams : "quite a little madam", "needs to learn a few good manners" and "very very unprofessional" &#8230; all because :

1. She made a few faces and rolled her eyes at times at opposing counsel's statements.

2. Some have the unsubstantiated belief she may leverage her looks and media exposure to participate in a reality TV show.

The OP-bashing frenzy exhibited by some as indeed reached a new low : Anyone who doesn't publicly condemn OP (regardless if doing so would irreparably jeopardize their job and career) becomes a fair target for outrageous prejudice, denigration and bullying.

May I respectfully remind some posters that :

A. Roxanne Adams was NOT the only one making faces and rolling her eyes at times in the courtroom&#8230; many, if not all, on the prosecution side did so as well&#8230; Even Nel and Roux exchanged complicit faces and smiles between them&#8230; Nel went as far as bursting into laughter in open Court during cross-examination !

B. Reeva was on her way to become an attorney&#8230; BUT she also leveraged her looks and media exposure into a career as a model and participation in reality TV shows !!

C. Reeva was also fond of sharing her thoughts and feelings about friends, colleagues, career, etc. on Twitter

&#8230; For some reason, Reeva gets nothing but high praise and admiration whereas Roxanne gets nothing but criticism and disrespect.

<modsnip>

I probably would not have believed it… but it's undeniable and unmistakable because plainly written black on white !

Roxanne Adams : "quite a little madam", "needs to learn a few good manners" and "very very unprofessional" … all because :

1. She made a few faces and rolled her eyes at times at opposing counsel's statements.

2. Some have the unsubstantiated belief she may leverage her looks and media exposure to participate in a reality TV show.

The OP-bashing frenzy exhibited by some as indeed reached a new low : Anyone who doesn't publicly condemn OP (regardless if doing so would irreparably jeopardize their job and career) becomes a fair target for outrageous prejudice, denigration and bullying.

May I respectfully remind some posters that :

A. Roxanne Adams was NOT the only one making faces and rolling her eyes at times in the courtroom… many, if not all, on the prosecution side did so as well… Even Nel and Roux exchanged complicit faces and smiles between them… Nel went as far as bursting into laughter in open Court during cross-examination !

B. Reeva was on her way to become an attorney… BUT she also leveraged her looks and media exposure into a career as a model and participation in reality TV shows !!

C. Reeva was also fond of sharing her thoughts and feelings about friends, colleagues, career, etc. on Twitter

… For some reason, Reeva gets nothing but high praise and admiration whereas Roxanne gets nothing but criticism and disrespect.

Where does all this loathing and bitterness originate from ?… perhaps a mirror would be instrumental in providing the answer...
BIB - is that even in dispute? The subject of the original post was Roxanne herself if you recall. She also gave out misleading information the day OP was sentenced by stating he would be out in 10 months... and failing to point out he would actually only be 'eligible' for release in 10 months.

No idea why you seem so angry that Reeva has been praised and admired? Why on earth does that annoy you??? Because she wanted to be a model instead of an attorney? Does that demean her in your eyes? The loathing and bitterness currently appears to be originating from you, for some reason.

Strange that the few Scots' comments to this article have been all pro OP and anti University action! Can't understand it!

Interesting...looks like they have started a campaign amongst his supporters. IMO it appears that none of them followed the trial.

Interesting...looks like they have started a campaign amongst his supporters. IMO it appears that none of them followed the trial.

Yes, it does look that way, doesn't it?

&#8230; For some reason, Reeva gets nothing but high praise and admiration whereas Roxanne gets nothing but criticism and disrespect.

Where does all this loathing and bitterness originate from ?&#8230; perhaps a mirror would be instrumental in providing the answer...

~snipped~

.. and may I respectfully remind you that Reeva is the one who was brutually killed, and Roxanne is on the defence team, defending her killer.

I couldn't really care less about Roxanne, quite honestly, but I don't understand how you don't see the difference between them. Fair enough, there's no problem disagreeing with other posters about their criticism of Roxanne, but to then start making comparisons between Roxanne and Reeva, the one who was blasted to bits by her boyfriend, is really ridiculous.

~snipped~

.. and may I respectfully remind you that Reeva is the one who was brutually killed, and Roxanne is on the defence team, defending her killer.

I couldn't really care less about Roxanne, quite honestly, but I don't understand how you don't see the difference between them. Fair enough, there's no problem disagreeing with other posters about their criticism of Roxanne, but to then start making comparisons between Roxanne and Reeva, the one who was blasted to bits by her boyfriend, is really ridiculous.

I honestly don't understand your position&#8230; and I would truly like to understand it because, for me at least, it makes no sense.

Here is my view on the subject :

1. Reeva and Roxanne are both human beings with feelings, hopes, dreams, etc...

2. Reeva and Roxanne are both young, healthy, attractive, blonde, etc, woman

3. Reeva and Roxanne are both living in SA

4. Reeva and Roxanne are both fond of tweeting

5. Reeva and Roxanne are both pursuing a career in Law

You say "I don't understand how you don't see the difference between them"&#8230; actually, I see them as having a lot in common&#8230; true, I know some things about Reeva and know almost nothing about Roxanne&#8230; and I suspect it is the same for you as well.

A. Is Reeva a better person, worthy of higher praise and admiration, because she was brutally killed ?&#8230; I don't believe so : she is deserving of praise and admiration for what she did in her life (kindness, generosity, public service, volunteer work, etc). I'm confident that if the people who personally knew her were interviewed on 12 february 2013 they would have praised Reeva.

B. Would Reeva be a lesser person had she died from a stroke on 12 february 2013 ?&#8230; I don't believe so : The sad reality is most of us would never have heard of it or have heard of her&#8230; the only reason we got to know Reeva is because she was brutally killed by a famous individual who was prosecuted for her murder.

C. Is Roxanne a lesser person, worthy of demeaning comments and bullying, because she worked on OP's Defence team ?&#8230; I don't believe so : she is following her career path which included an internship in a Law firm where she was assigned by her superiors to OP's case to type live transcripts in the courtroom. Had Reeva not been killed, she probably would have been in the exact same situation as Roxanne.

D. Would Roxanne be a better person if she was brutally killed by her boyfriend tomorrow ?&#8230; I don't believe so.

E. Are attorneys lesser persons because they work on Defence teams ?&#8230; I don't believe so : Justice requires both a Prosecution and a Defence with zealous attorneys who do their respective jobs.

F. Had Reeva not been killed, would she be a lesser person because she worked on a Defence team ?&#8230; I don't believe so : It's a job, a necessary and noble profession.

I suspect some are emotionally bundling praise/admiration of who Reeva was WITH sadness/grief over her demise WITH anger/revolt of the manner in which she was killed&#8230; I can appreciate this, as I share those very same emotions.

My point was Roxanne had done nothing to be deserving of being publicly bullied and demeaned by strangers who know nothing of her&#8230; for all we know, she may be as kind, caring, generous, loving, etc, as Reeva was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay