Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM I don't know if you read JA's manifesto, which she referred to as a composition, but in it JA said she was "probably singing a church hymn" during her interrogation. I guess from The Stalker's Bible? That song has been called the stalker's anthem. Eileen Wurnos requested a Dido song be played at her memorial after she was executed, although it was a different Dido song.

Actually, I think Aileen Wurmos requested Natalie Merchant's Carnival--it was the song used under the credits of Nick Broomfield's movie Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer with Merchant's permission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_Wqtnlv4U

This is why I'm really glad the DP fell through. I think natural life would be a way worse punishment than DP, because lifers don't get the attention that DP-ers do. This is not going to sit well with Ms. Arias. Plus, lifers get a one-and-done appeal (unless they con an expensive attorney into shuffling papers for them), and it's all about technicalities: no more public drama. Not only that, Jodi has a history of getting ruled against at the state CofA and Arizona Supreme Court: they've got her figured out already.

Ooh, and my favorite part about "life"? Jodi's going to have to work, at least eventually. She hates working. Never held a steady job in her life. News flash for Jodi: you will have to work for your room and board for the next 40 years or so, and it'll be way worse than waitressing because lifers don't get the good jobs. And a chunk of what Jodi makes (approx. 50%) will likely go to victim compensation for the Alexanders, and the commissary monies that her fans are sending her will likewise be docked, IIRC. Woohoo! Jodi could get that $.10 per hour toilet scrubbing job and only take home $.05. She'll have to be at it 9-5 to be able to pay for one soda! And all that fundraising is gonna get vaporized from her commissary account. No more $100 per week Hersheys and Slim Jim's. Oh, and at Perryville, you can't traffic in commissary goods, sell 'em, exchange 'em, without incurring a major infraction on your prison record. Several of those, and BAM bu bye to privileges, Jodi! "What's a girl to do"?

BBM

And, no handsome young men to flirt with ;)

Too true! Look at something as simple as the attempted manipulation of CMJA's physical presentation from pre-murder to first trial to the pitiful image at the re-trial! So small, so meek, soooo incapable of remembering what she had done...pftttttt! She had two years to mull over her defense and in classic style made every attempt to place blame on others. TA wasn't perfect but considering his life experience he was in the junior league compared to CMJA long standing commitment to lies, passive aggressive actions, her aggressive actions, her manipulations of his friends and TA himself. Boarderline tendencies honed over time into a sharp force object. I had a patient that swore over and over she was innocent of her actions blaming her husband and finally swearing on her children's lives that she was innocent. She fooled a therapist, a senior social worker who concluded she was simply a good christian women being dominated by an controlling husband. It was only after the phone and text records came in that her lie was revealed. OMG on her children's lives!!!! That is why every bit of unsubstantiated direct evidence CMJA was and is suspect!

LWPP is a just verdict for an attention seeking murderer like CMJA.

favorite player: Dr. DM! Wonderful testimony that really cut to the chase. The back drama...two women close in age, one educated, successful, respected the other a convicted murderer, trying to play mind games on the lawyers, judge and jury. What a waste.
Do you think JM chose Dr.DM specifically to show the difference between the two?

I think JM chose DeMarte deliberately for different reasons in the first and second trials. In the first trial, I think it was, as you say, to contrast with Jodi. In the second trial JM also used that tactic; Demarte even upped the concept, IIRC, by reading Jodi's writings and sounding sorta like a seductive, non-librarian, Jodi. But, IMO, JM was being extremely clever as well. He could have had DeMarte elaborate her diagnosis from the first trial. He could have had her go through all that stuff about tests and numbers, etc. Instead, he had her stick to borderline, even though we all know there was a whole heck of a lot more going on with Jodi than borderline, and Demarte had no problem talking about sociopathy in the Devault trial. It's obvious the DT is going to go with borderline as a mitigator, since what else have they got to go on? (The mitigators were revealed ahead of time, too?) So, JM goes with borderline. K.I.S.S. Jodi can't stand Demarte's guts, so she's going to do whatever it takes to make Demarte look stupid, humiliate her, all of it. This is JM's plan. Because the borderline diagnosis and Demarte go together. Discredit Demarte, and you've lost your mitigator. BOOM! Jodi falls right in the trap. She even ignored the most damaging testimony entirely (e.g. premeditation, sex on the way back from the memorial service, etc), since she got so focused on the borderline stuff. What did she end up with? She thought she had a win over Demarte, but ffffft! mitigator bu bye! The jury didn't fall for borderline as mitigating. And all that premeditation testimony went unchallenged. Woh, woh, woh.....

Or something like that....

I think JM chose DeMarte deliberately for different reasons in the first and second trials. In the first trial, I think it was, as you say, to contrast with Jodi. In the second trial JM also used that tactic; Demarte even upped the concept, IIRC, by reading Jodi's writings and sounding sorta like a seductive, non-librarian, Jodi. But, IMO, JM was being extremely clever as well. He could have had DeMarte elaborate her diagnosis from the first trial. He could have had her go through all that stuff about tests and numbers, etc. Instead, he had her stick to borderline, even though we all know there was a whole heck of a lot more going on with Jodi than borderline, and Demarte had no problem talking about sociopathy in the Devault trial. It's obvious the DT is going to go with borderline as a mitigator, since what else have they got to go on? (The mitigators were revealed ahead of time, too?) So, JM goes with borderline. K.I.S.S. Jodi can't stand Demarte's guts, so she's going to do whatever it takes to make Demarte look stupid, humiliate her, all of it. This is JM's plan. Because the borderline diagnosis and Demarte go together. Discredit Demarte, and you've lost your mitigator. BOOM! Jodi falls right in the trap. She even ignored the most damaging testimony entirely (e.g. premeditation, sex on the way back from the memorial service, etc), since she got so focused on the borderline stuff. What did she end up with? She thought she had a win over Demarte, but ffffft! mitigator bu bye! The jury didn't fall for borderline as mitigating. And all that premeditation testimony went unchallenged. Woh, woh, woh.....

Or something like that....

I'm still curious as to how Juan Martinez happened upon Dr. DeMarte in the first place. Did someone recommend her? She IS young, and he ran some risks by having her be the State's one and only psych expert. (Okay, bolstered by Jill Hayes in the rebuttal phase of the first trial.)

I can only think that her character and credentials were so good that after an initial interview, he felt confident in taking a chance with her. She's certainly poised and knows her stuff. She comes across very well. Also, the fact that a fellow Maricopa County prosecutor (Eric Basta, in the Marissa DeVault trial) chose to use her, shows that she's now considered a real asset in the courtroom.

I'm so grateful for her contributions in getting justice for Travis. She was very much instrumental in both trials in making the jury understand how someone so seemingly demure, could in reality be an abject monster.

I'm still curious as to how Juan Martinez happened upon Dr. DeMarte in the first place. Did someone recommend her? She IS young, and he ran some risks by having her be the State's one and only psych expert. (Okay, bolstered by Jill Hayes in the rebuttal phase of the first trial.)

I can only think that her character and credentials were so good that after an initial interview, he felt confident in taking a chance with her. She's certainly poised and knows her stuff. She comes across very well. Also, the fact that a fellow Maricopa County prosecutor (Eric Basta, in the Marissa DeVault trial) chose to use her, shows that she's now considered a real asset in the courtroom.

I'm so grateful for her contributions in getting justice for Travis. She was very much instrumental in both trials in making the jury understand how someone so seemingly demure, could in reality be an abject monster.

IIRC she has been an expert witness for both prosecution and defense in other dp trails. I see the crazies have stuck with tot doc and her inexperience. I guess they haven't noticed that this young lady was director and teaching others while Jodi a high school drop, going from man to man - getting crazier met and was murdered Travis.

Clinicians
Dr. Janeen DeMarte
Clinical Psychologist/Owner

Dr. Janeen DeMarteDr. Janeen DeMarte is a licensed clinical psychologist currently operating Sentience Psychological Services in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. DeMarte completed both her master’s and Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Michigan State University and fulfilled an APA approved doctoral residency at Arizona State Hospital.

Dr. DeMarte conducts psychological therapy and assessment for a broad range of clients. Her diverse therapeutic aptitudes have been developed over years of experience providing care to clients from all walks of life, with ages spanning from early childhood to older adults. Her clinical training was conducted in a variety of settings including correctional facilities, outpatient clinics, and inpatient units.

Dr. DeMarte served as the Clinical Director of a large outpatient behavioral health clinic in Phoenix where she oversaw the practice of numerous multidisciplinary treatment providers. During her tenure, Dr. DeMarte developed a program for practicum students from Arizona State University, Argosy University, and several other academic institutions. She has also instructed at the university level for bachelor’s students and provided intensive training for master’s and doctoral students of clinical psychology.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jod...rte-reveals-the-truth-about-killer-jodi-arias

Dr. DeMarte basically said, she wasn't abused, she wasn't a drug baby, and she is a known liar, stalker, and manipulative person. Dr. DeMarte said not only was Jodi not abused by Travis, but she wasn't by her parents either. Dr. DeMarte also contradicted the “Wooden Spoon Made Me Do It” theory by reading notes from Jodi herself that she was not abused by her parents either.

JA used Gus Searcy to make TA jealous with their little Vegas convention. JA knew her way around PPL/LDS.

I'm sure she did but, I can't imagine Travis ever being jealous of Searcy... he's such a joke!

The morning that Judge Stephens sentences Jodi for this, will the court day start with a sidebar ?

I had a dream the other night that Judge Stephens surprised everybody and gave Jodi 25 years with the possibility of parole. Along with that sentence, she was credited with time served, which means her sentence would actually be around 17 years. The reason for this was because her and Judge Stephens had spent so much time in chambers talking and getting to know each other that they had actually grown to be friends. Although most people see Jodi as a clear threat, the judge didn't see her in that way, just because of all of the intimate face time and private conversations.

Just working off the way things have happened in that courtroom, I can't tell if it was just a bad dream or if it was a premonition.

I guess we'll see.

I hope when you woke up you threw some salt over your left shoulder... locked the black cat outside and knocked on some wood!!! lol

I too am satisfied that the DP fell through. The killer's life will be one misrable day after another, she will see inmates finish their sentences and leave Perryville, while the murderess will have no hope of ever leaving except in a pine box.
There is no way JSS will give the killer LW the possibility of parole. JSS is cognizant that the murderer escaped death twice, and only barely. Arias is dangerous to society.JSS has seen CMJA manipulation at it's best (or attempts, to clarify.
BTW I was checking out JAII yesterday and came upon an absolute disgusting post that reviewed several of the worst autopsy photos and the author of the post went on to explain why the police interpretations were 100% incorrect. And onthis most Holy weekend, for those of us that practice religion, for the author to devote such a large amount of time to hate and evil.
And these people think the killer will get a new trial and be vindicated! They blame everyone from the DT to JM to JSS. There is no way she will get a new trial, and if by some miracle she does, she will be found guilty of premeditated murder again.
Also, I don't see anyone on that site writing a check for an appellate lawyer. Those people appear to live in a fantasy world and think the killer's indigent status guarantees her a first rate attorney, or a well known attorney like Alan Derschowitz to take the case pro bono. They even think she is eligible for the Arizona Innocence Project.
I can't wait to see her in her Orange jumpsuit carting her trial notes and tracings with her.
Buh bye killer! I hope she dreams of Travis every night.

BBM

And, no handsome young men to flirt with ;)

Sadly, after talking with my prison guard friend about this very thing several times, I disagree. She will have handsome young men to flirt with. And will most likely get a few in trouble, causing them to lose their jobs and possibly end up in prison themselves. His prediction for Jodi is she will be pregnant within a year by one of the guards. My friend has been working in the prison system for 15 years and his wife, as a RN, for 12. The stories he has told over the years of the various things prisoners do and the ways they manipulate guards is interesting in a scary sort of way. He has worked both male and female sides of the prison and says he would rather deal with the men any day!

Sadly, after talking with my prison guard friend about this very thing several times, I disagree. She will have handsome young men to flirt with. And will most likely get a few in trouble, causing them to lose their jobs and possibly end up in prison themselves. His prediction for Jodi is she will be pregnant within a year by one of the guards. My friend has been working in the prison system for 15 years and his wife, as a RN, for 12. The stories he has told over the years of the various things prisoners do and the ways they manipulate guards is interesting in a scary sort of way. He has worked both male and female sides of the prison and says he would rather deal with the men any day!

Sterilizer her now.

watching the retrial skipping much just because I can't watch the defense attys. General impression is this retrial should have never happened...just never...if it was should have been so limited that one week limit. They are now arguing about bring Abel Hati on the stand about "magic underwear"??? It should have been expected at least one or more would not go for dp...just did not take much to figure this out. The continued torture for the family did not need to be. The cost to taxpayers is crazy. Time taken from valid cases on the docket ...again crazy. So now back to square one for the sentence on April 13th (barring more games). If for any reason JSS goes not go with lwop it can only be considered a victory for the defense.

watching the retrial skipping much just because I can't watch the defense attys. General impression is this retrial should have never happened...just never...if it was should have been so limited that one week limit. They are now arguing about bring Abel Hati on the stand about "magic underwear"??? It should have been expected at least one or more would not go for dp...just did not take much to figure this out. The continued torture for the family did not need to be. The cost to taxpayers is crazy. Time taken from valid cases on the docket ...again crazy. So now back to square one for the sentence on April 13th (barring more games). If for any reason JSS goes not go with lwop it can only be considered a victory for the defense.

I agree it was a waste of time and money, but the family wanted the DP and I believe that is why the State went for it a second time. I think the DP was absolutely appropriate in this case, but I was worried about her getting it because it would just give her a stage in which to perform for years and years to come. The DP as used today, is a joke. Personally, given a choice of punishment for someone like Jodi, I would like to see life in solitary confinement. 23/7/365 for the rest of her life. No prison "family" very limited contact with prison staff, no one to keep her company and tell her how wonderful she is. That to me, absent a DP that would take place quickly, would be justice.

I agree it was a waste of time and money, but the family wanted the DP and I believe that is why the State went for it a second time. I think the DP was absolutely appropriate in this case, but I was worried about her getting it because it would just give her a stage in which to perform for years and years to come. The DP as used today, is a joke. Personally, given a choice of punishment for someone like Jodi, I would like to see life in solitary confinement. 23/7/365 for the rest of her life. No prison "family" very limited contact with prison staff, no one to keep her company and tell her how wonderful she is. That to me, absent a DP that would take place quickly, would be justice.

This case is a major advertisement for the abolishment of the dp...it is not a deterrent and has no place in our justice system. She would have been gone long ago without that option...I get the family's wishes but frankly it backfired on them big time...just two more years of torture and providing an even more difficult transition back to some sort of life for themselves and their families. Awful things happen...this death was awful but I bet Travis would have asked them long ago to take care of themselves and their families. He loved them and I don't think he would be happy with this turn of events.

This case is a major advertisement for the abolishment of the dp...it is not a deterrent and has no place in our justice system. She would have been gone long ago without that option...I get the family's wishes but frankly it backfired on them big time...just two more years of torture and providing an even more difficult transition back to some sort of life for themselves and their families. Awful things happen...this death was awful but I bet Travis would have asked them long ago to take care of themselves and their families. He loved them and I don't think he would be happy with this turn of events.

Oh...love JM...asking good ole Abe (whom I like) about the email that he never got....it apparently had no address and JM asks if the email is like a "homing email that just knows it should go right to Abe?" classic JM.

I too am satisfied that the DP fell through. The killer's life will be one misrable day after another, she will see inmates finish their sentences and leave Perryville, while the murderess will have no hope of ever leaving except in a pine box.
There is no way JSS will give the killer LW the possibility of parole. JSS is cognizant that the murderer escaped death twice, and only barely. Arias is dangerous to society.JSS has seen CMJA manipulation at it's best (or attempts, to clarify.
BTW I was checking out JAII yesterday and came upon an absolute disgusting post that reviewed several of the worst autopsy photos and the author of the post went on to explain why the police interpretations were 100% incorrect. And onthis most Holy weekend, for those of us that practice religion, for the author to devote such a large amount of time to hate and evil.
And these people think the killer will get a new trial and be vindicated! They blame everyone from the DT to JM to JSS. There is no way she will get a new trial, and if by some miracle she does, she will be found guilty of premeditated murder again.
Also, I don't see anyone on that site writing a check for an appellate lawyer. Those people appear to live in a fantasy world and think the killer's indigent status guarantees her a first rate attorney, or a well known attorney like Alan Derschowitz to take the case pro bono. They even think she is eligible for the Arizona Innocence Project.
I can't wait to see her in her Orange jumpsuit carting her trial notes and tracings with her.
Buh bye killer! I hope she dreams of Travis every night.

Alan Dershowitz would not take CMJA's case. He hates the abuse excuse, especially with no evidence and a lying client. He was on a talk show shortly after the first mistrial of the Menendez boys. He said our justice system is in trouble when we allow defendants to trash the victims with no corroboration. He said it was setting a bad trend to embrace the ABUSE EXCUSE. So he is one attorney with ethics and honesty.

Happy Easter all. I was jousting checking in to make sure there wasn't a request for a postponement for April 13th. Praying JSS gives her LWOP. Bye bye Jodi.

JA used Gus Searcy to make TA jealous with their little Vegas convention. JA knew her way around PPL/LDS.

I should of clarified. Jodi used Gus in attempt that she thought it would TA jealous.

I haven't been here much since the mistrial but have been updated with the basics about what's happened since then. :tyou: dog.gone.cute :tyou: I know the sentencing is next Monday, April 13 and have two questions:

1) Is there a time scheduled yet for the sentencing?

2) How much time does each side - Prosecution, Defense - have to present their arguments for LWP vs. LWOP?

Presumably, the sentencing will be carried live by some media outlets. If I know in advance what time the sentencing begins, I can plan my activities for the day to be at home so I can watch. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141