Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering if there is still a chance to do this resentencing phase over again. I may have to post question in Attorney thread. It seems I recall where it was stated by someone that the case really is not over till final sentencing.

So, since Jodi made this delay now, and if we find out for sure the Stealth juror had ties to Juan or had friends that knew Jodi, then could this sentencing phase get declared "a mistrial" and we could start over with a new judge?

Where I get confused is I thought a "hung jury" is different than a "mistrial"? A true mistrial I thought would not result in JSS getting to decide, but I maybe wrong because we even heard the judge call this a mistrial yesterday at the end. So maybe the end result is the same that this judge would decide anyway.

Its just all so upsetting.

At this point if they found that this juror did all the things that are alleged it would still be a mistrial and the result is the same JSS will decide. I don't like anything about the way this was handled but it is done and nothing is going to change the fact that JSS cannot give her the DP. I fully expect that right now Juror 17 is lawyering up and it would not surprise me to see her file a suit of her own and I don't want to see her profit from this but I have to admit I am interested in hearing her story .

Will they eventually release all information related to this case like full versions of texts etc... that they weren't able to use in trial?

I'd like to see the juror questionnaire, which is sealed, from this time around. Monica Lindstrom talked about the first one and it seems it was very intensive and extensive. Potential jurors had to answer by explaining themselves, so it was not just a checklist. Also, if Juan was the prosecutor in the case of this jurors husband, wouldn't he have known that at the time of jury selection?JMO

At this point if they found that this juror did all the things that are alleged it would still be a mistrial and the result is the same JSS will decide. I don't like anything about the way this was handled but it is done and nothing is going to change the fact that JSS cannot give her the DP. I fully expect that right now Juror 17 is lawyering up and it would not surprise me to see her file a suit of her own and I don't want to see her profit from this but I have to admit I am interested in hearing her story .

BBM

A suit of her own about what? Against who?

And that is a bad sign. Even though I was thinking I could not give the DP in this case, I could think of scenarios that I would. It was not off the table for me, just was not sure that this was it for me. Hearing the jurors who were willing to approach this is whatever way would work for her, And her still not wanting to deliberate, She was not voting for DP no matter what.

I've only read this far but am stopping to say I agree with this. I'm not seeing conspiracy or anything showing collusion. I see a person, one lone juror who for some reason heard the words 'domestic violence' and refused to even discuss the DP. One person, not a ringer, not a plant, not a conspiracy. Just one juror who refused to discuss or accept anything anyone said.

This is our justice system. It works, this is proof it works even though we are all pretty let down. Our system has flaws but all things considered, it is what it is and it works.
I seriously doubt Ms Arias is going anywhere. There will never be parole. She'll settle in at prison. She play her games but unlike our world, her world will not change much. She can't move to a new area or state to find new people who don't know her games. The first people who tire of her will still be there. There will be no fresh arena for Jodi and the people who she'll piss off are her roommates for life.

now will she cry foul over and of these things? oh you betcha.

she'll accuse a guard of sexual misconduct after coming on to one for her own gain.
she'll get the tar beaten out of her at least once and whine that no one did anything to protect her.
she'll harass her family when the money stops
she'll lose control over her little internet cult
she'll accuse her attys of misconduct.

the list could go on forever. A Jodi who gets LWOP becomes an invisible Jodi and if there's one thing a Jodi can't handle it's being invisible. DP would have given her fame and free attys and press. She would have had it overturned, I have no doubt about it but during the process she'd have felt important, she'd have made the news. LWOP renders her mute and mad. She will seethe. She won't remember that 1 juror, she'll remember those 11 plus who thought her worthy of death. Those jurors who valued Travis over her.

I'm okay with LWOP. I think the judge is too. Remember the heat the judge took for the defense antics she allowed in her attempt to avoid appeal success. She knows how team Arias plays, she knows the 11-1, she will give LWOP.

AZ DOC has an outlet store in Florence that sells inmate "art and crafts" and makes a tidy sum annually. The inmate receives 75% of the proceeds if I read the article right, and in JA's case, hopefully, would go to the Alexanders and/or similar victim compensation funds. If that's the case, I see Jodi limiting her "art" to what could directly help her at Perryville, doing "drawings" from photos of fellow inmates or their loved ones.

http://www.trivalleycentral.com/ari...cle_53fd73f8-7d62-11e3-84e0-0019bb2963f4.html

Is that state or federal though do you know? I know federal prison in AZ does this but I don't know about state.
just on the subject of Jodi's "art" I took a trip to jodiland once and holy macaroni did anyone see the prices I actually laughed quite hard.

I'd like to see the juror questionnaire, which is sealed, from this time around. Monica Lindstrom talked about the first one and it seems it was very intensive and extensive. Potential jurors had to answer by explaining themselves, so it was not just a checklist. Also, if Juan was the prosecutor in the case of this jurors husband, wouldn't he have known that at the time of jury selection?JMO

Doubtful since it was her EX husband. She is now married to someone else, meaning different last name. And Juan has done so many cases over the years that it would not surprise me if he doesn't remember the spouses of each of the people that he has prosecuted.

:seeya: Morning, Y'all !

Wow ... I am way behind on this thread but trying to catch up.

Suggestion: With all this info coming out about Juror #17, maybe there could be a dedicated thread for this discussion.

TIA !

Let's wait and see if the media pursues this.

If it was her ex husband than Juan might not have recognized the connection. She may not be using his last name anymore. JMO

Since JA clearly can not follow the rules and believes that she deserves whatever she wants, whenever she wants it, however she wants it, it will not be long before she crosses the wrong person. While she may believe that she is the "victim" always, someone else (more than one likely) is not going to agree with her. Let her try to start fights with women that know they are never getting out of prison except in a pine box. If someone kills her, so be it. Justice will have then been served.

MOO

the hard timers will eat Jodi for breakfast...and yes, Jodi will mess w/ the wrong person..In due time, Jodi will experience another inmate who will not tolerate Jodi..mo

I believe the questionaire for this phase should have really been specific and during voir dire they see the lawyers involved and really at that point they have to know what case they are being considered for...unless they just got in from Siberia? Usually you are asked if you or your family have had any dealings with law enforcement or these lawyers that "could influence your being fair and impartial" or something like that and I imagine each juror can interpret this how they want...to me this is just another example of why a professional jury may be better but of course that could be tainted too.

Video of Perryville (including Arias' cell) with Troy along to provide details. I got claustrophobic just watching this. Starts at about 8:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8j3LhPyR0

A couple of new-to-me things from Troy there:
* the exercise "cage" JA will use sits on cement that reaches 140 degrees in summer
* her 15 min. phone call/s will occur on pay-phones located in that same large cemented, outdoor area, if I understood the video correctly.
* If/when JA graduates from max custody to close custody, she'll be assigned a roommate. Yikes! I hope her roomie is a volunteer, and not someone given no choice.

If it was her ex husband than Juan might not have recognized the connection. She may not be using his last name anymore. JMO

I totally agree - this was years ago - there is no way Juan could remember the face of the spouse from those years ago and she does have a different last name. It was up to HER to disclose this connection - again, not sure of AZ laws or what is on juror questionnaire - here in Ga. we are asked to disclose ALL connections (judge, lawyers, defendant, etc.) If it is not the procedure in AZ then it needs to be changed.

How could they possibly believe that someone whose husband was sent away to prison by a prosecutor would be unbiased sitting on a jury where the same prosecutor is trying a case???? Boggles the mind!!!!

I wonder if Perryville will be the first time in years that JA has been in a cell without her voluminous stack/s of "trial papers"? I hope so, as I think she requires "visuals" of some kind to placate the inner demon inside and present an outward facade of calm.

Slumber Party From Hell author says in the cell they are allowed three boxes for legal papers, books and mail

Juror 17 asked if she could trade places with an alternate. She wanted to handpick the alternate to take her place. She must of known the judge would say no. It was a smoke screen. If not, then why did she send the judge a secret note when the jurors wanted her replaced? A red herring.

i remember this question very well and thought it very odd..."trade places" and JSS read it just like that...of course JSS can't let her do that but with such an odd question I would think she may have called her in to ask some questions? And she may have done that...

Agree. Seems like someone on the vetting team would have noticed, though. Maybe the juror revealed it in her questionnaire answers, and it was known, but not determined to be a reason to strike her???? Dunno. We will find out, sometime soon probably. JMO

Slumber Party From Hell author says in the cell they are allowed three boxes for legal papers, books and mail

Drat! ... but thanks, TexMex. I can definitely see JA playing prison lawyer to ingratiate herself with her prison peers and stoke her own exalted self-esteem.

Here we have people one week posting that JA has Photoshopped herself into every photo of herself with TA, then a few days later claiming that screen shots posted on Facebook are Gospel.

It can hurt real people. Hoping to see some sanity returning to the torches and pitchforks mobs.

Good Point Its just hard right now because we saw how JA and Nurmi are rub it in our faces.

Which reminds me. Did anyone notice right before the Judge announced the verdict. ?

Jodi turned to the right to hide her face. She was looking at the wall. I first thought it was because she may have been crying. But she was laughing and grinning. I swear she was. Because when she turned around you could tell she had been hiding that she was smiling and couldnt resist.
L
This was before the verdict. She just loves the attention. She loves it. Good or bad. It dont matter. She thrives on being in the spotlight.

Like others said. In the long run this maybe better with Life sentence. She will get less attention and thats 1 good thing. Its just hard to take right now.
I hear you, sister! If she got the DP this crapola would drag on and on. Now, this is the end of her "celebrity" . She's just another convicted murderer who will quickly fade into the gray walls of obscurity. I honestly believe that for her ... That's worse than a death sentence.

Who wants to bet how long after Jodi's transfer to Perryville it will be before we see a penpal ad going up for her?
I give it 6 months by then her fans will be fading and the media will have lost interest and she will be desperate for some outrage and drama.

Who wants to bet how long after Jodi's transfer to Perryville it will be before we see a penpal ad going up for her?
I give it 6 months by then her fans will be fading and the media will have lost interest and she will be desperate for some outrage and drama.

LOL The pen pal pervs will come out of the woodwork! JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members