Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury selection is the most important time in any trial. The OJ team spent $500K+ on their jury consultant (Jo Ellen Dimitrius) and she secured a jury that was never going to convict a famous football hero.

How this juror was accepted onto the panel and how she slipped through, I don't know, but it sure doesn't appear she had any business being part of that panel. The die was cast when the jury was empaneled at the end.

:seeya: Exactly! In fact, including the alternates, it was actually Truth: 13 Falsehood: 1

Regardless of the glee, smirks, and tasteless tweets from Arias and her DT - they failed, and failed miserably.

Enjoy your future Arias. One last day of street clothes; one last car ride; one last trip from your list of 1,000 places; one last day of media spotlight. Roll on April 13th!

Add to this: The presentation of a new book to read: 1 Place to See Before You Die.

I do not agree that our justice system worked yesterday when the jury was hung. What it really showed is there are flaws in the system even though it works most of the time.

If anything, it shows at times it doesn't work, and victims are robbed of the just punishment that should have been handed down for their murderer.

Having one juror thwart justice should bother us all. We cannot have jurors who refuse to deliberate nor even listen to the other side of the discussion. Of all jurors, those who are on DP cases must be more honest than anyone imo. They cant say they can apply the DP if warranted and soon into deliberations say the death penalty is for 'revenge.' If they truly believe such BS then they need to step up to the plate in jury selection and state that on their questionnaire and in voir dire so that other truly death penalty qualified jurors can sit in judgment of a death penalty case. Biased jurors taints our justice system.

I don't think any of the other 11 were biased one way or the other going in but they respected the law and the oath they took. They weren't 11 for death at first. They knew no matter how hard... if death was appropriate they knew they had to seriously consider it based upon all the factors in the case. Not only did #17 refuse to even consider it in the deliberations she told them the death penalty is about revenge. That is pure bias and a closed off point of view. One she couldn't even explain to her fellow jurors nor even attempted to do.

As far as the juror discussing the movie there again it shows she was bringing in things that are not allowed to be discussed. Several jurors have been dismissed for bring outside information into the jury deliberation room and they were dismissed.

These one lone wolf holdouts are destroying our court system. She, like others was going to show the other jurors that she could draw a line in the sand and not crossover it. That has nothing to do with justice or even engaging in deliberations. That is nothing but bullheadedness like a petulant child would do.

What I think needs to happen is each state should go by the majority vote in DP cases. Many times we see the just punishment denied due to one lone vote. One vote out of 12 people should never hold justice hostage and that is what happened yesterday. I have a feeling from the moment she was selected she knew which way she would vote. She knew if everyone else voted for death she would be the one to spar JAs life.

It gives me little comfort that JA will be sentenced to life. The hung jury shouldn't have happened especially the way it did. This juror should have been removed just like other jurors have been removed from a death penalty case in the past.

Imo, JA should have been heading for death row once the sentence is finalized. That is what she deserved and she should be on death row.

Its like having to settle for less when the right sentence was ripped away from Travis and his family. I think it will even be harder on his family to reconcile knowing how close they were in their long fight for justice to put her where she truly belongs.

Its wrong that one juror holds the power and the vast majority are helpless to do anything about it.

So I wish for two things:
Majority votes rule in death penalty cases.
A law that protects murdered victims from being trashed by their perpetrator based on nothing but lies.

The lawmakers finally woke up and invoked laws protecting rape victims from being put on trial. It is just as important to me or moreso that it includes defenseless homicide victims as well.

I am writing my government officials today about that one issue that needs to stop.

I agree with every single word. Very well said and nicely and respectfully put.
This is how to make a difference in an honest true way. Thank goodness for people like you.

Good Morning all,

I know this has likely been discussed but I was gone after all of the hullabaloo last ight so missed out on a LOT of discussion. So, I want to know what exactly this right of a pre-sentencing interview that JA waived? What does it do and why would one waive it?

Remember that "not a hearing but the gang's all here, except the court reporter" confab in JSS's hallway several days ago? That "secret" meeting seemed so bizarre then, because how could it even be "legal", but now I'm wondering if what to do about #17 v. the other 11 was the topic. If it was just to iron out the wording of whatever "dynamite" charge JSS might give, I think the court reporter would have been there documenting it, so it was something JSS didn't want on the record imo.

Let's wait and see if the media pursues this.

:seeya: Thanks, Lamby !

Oh, I hope the media pursues this because what I have seen so far, there is definitely something there !

:moo:

:cheers: Great post! I agree, as we have seen thought this sentencing phase, JSS avoided any appeals and at all costs, and the Alexanders paid for it with no undoing.
JSS made a fool out of herself. She was manipulated from start to finish. She was nothing more than a prop.

BK saying juror was asked during voir dire if her ex-husband’s case would affect her in any way–does she harbor resentment against law enforcement . She said no

But it's not clear if BK saying the fact that Juan prosecuted him was disclosed

Video of Perryville (including Arias' cell) with Troy along to provide details. I got claustrophobic just watching this. Starts at about 8:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8j3LhPyR0

Thank you Rose for this :-) I'm so sick of all these media people always talking about "Jodi" I hate hearing her name. She's nothing but a murderer and that's what she should be called. When will someone talk about Travis. This guy says where the murderer is going is better than where she is at. Well hell where she is is better than where Travis is. When will someone give attention to Travis, how he suffered, how his family is still suffering.

Jury selection is the most important time in any trial. The OJ team spent $500K+ on their jury consultant (Jo Ellen Dimitrius) and she secured a jury that was never going to convict a famous football hero.

How this juror was accepted onto the panel and how she slipped through, I don't know, but it sure doesn't appear she had any business being part of that panel. The die was cast when the jury was empaneled at the end.

So true. OJ case was won at jury selection

Good Morning all,

I know this has likely been discussed but I was gone after all of the hullabaloo last ight so missed out on a LOT of discussion. So, I want to know what exactly this right of a pre-sentencing interview that JA waived? What does it do and why would one waive it?
AZL said it is an interview so that she can present mitigation ( if any) and she has already been there done that....

I do not agree that our justice system worked yesterday when the jury was hung. What it really showed is there are flaws in the system even though it works most of the time.

If anything, it shows at times it doesn't work, and victims are robbed of the just punishment that should have been handed down for their murderer.

Having one juror thwart justice should bother us all. We cannot have jurors who refuse to deliberate nor even listen to the other side of the discussion. Of all jurors, those who are on DP cases must be more honest than anyone imo. They cant say they can apply the DP if warranted and soon into deliberations say the death penalty is for 'revenge.' If they truly believe such BS then they need to step up to the plate in jury selection and state that on their questionnaire and in voir dire so that other truly death penalty qualified jurors can sit in judgment of a death penalty case. Biased jurors taints our justice system.

I don't think any of the other 11 were biased one way or the other going in but they respected the law and the oath they took. They weren't 11 for death at first. They knew no matter how hard... if death was appropriate they knew they had to seriously consider it based upon all the factors in the case. Not only did #17 refuse to even consider it in the deliberations she told them the death penalty is about revenge. That is pure bias and a closed off point of view. One she couldn't even explain to her fellow jurors nor even attempted to do.

As far as the juror discussing the movie there again it shows she was bringing in things that are not allowed to be discussed. Several jurors have been dismissed for bring outside information into the jury deliberation room and they were dismissed.

These one lone wolf holdouts are destroying our court system. She, like others was going to show the other jurors that she could draw a line in the sand and not crossover it. That has nothing to do with justice or even engaging in deliberations. That is nothing but bullheadedness like a petulant child would do.

What I think needs to happen is each state should go by the majority vote in DP cases. Many times we see the just punishment denied due to one lone vote. One vote out of 12 people should never hold justice hostage and that is what happened yesterday. I have a feeling from the moment she was selected she knew which way she would vote. She knew if everyone else voted for death she would be the one to spar JAs life.

It gives me little comfort that JA will be sentenced to life. The hung jury shouldn't have happened especially the way it did. This juror should have been removed just like other jurors have been removed from a death penalty case in the past.

Imo, JA should have been heading for death row once the sentence is finalized. That is what she deserved and she should be on death row.

Its like having to settle for less when the right sentence was ripped away from Travis and his family. I think it will even be harder on his family to reconcile knowing how close they were in their long fight for justice to put her where she truly belongs.

Its wrong that one juror holds the power and the vast majority are helpless to do anything about it.

So I wish for two things:
Majority votes rule in death penalty cases.
A law that protects murdered victims from being trashed by their perpetrator based on nothing but lies.

The lawmakers finally woke up and invoked laws protecting rape victims from being put on trial. It is just as important to me or moreso that it includes defenseless homicide victims as well.

I am writing my government officials today about that one issue that needs to stop.

It seems like just the other day you and I were discussing our legal system and stealth jurors......if I remember correctly, you were totally in support of the system and said it works every day around the country. I am not trying to be snarky....I believe it does work sometimes and doesn't work sometimes. In this particular case it seems like a failure.
My sincere apology if it was not you that I had the discussion with.

It seems like just the other day you and I were discussing our legal system and stealth jurors......if I remember correctly, you were totally in support of the system and said it works every day around the country. I am not trying to be snarky....I believe it does work sometimes and doesn't work sometimes. In this particular case it seems like a failure.

The minority actually ruled again.

:seeya: Thanks, Lamby !

Oh, I hope the media pursues this because what I have seen so far, there is definitely something there !

:moo:

http://www.kpho.com/story/28276952/revealing-details-about-holdout-juror-in-jodi-arias-case

Additionally, according to Wood, on the juror's Facebook page, her "likes" included the book The Secret and the movie Law of Attraction, which Arias used as reasons for never talking about the domestic abuse she claims she suffered at the hands of Travis Alexander.

"It would tell me there was a clear bias," said Wood.

Okay, kinda surreal that MSM is interviewing a blogger citing Facebook but this is 2015.

(I love Jen and I think she does a great job, as do many of the trial bloggers I read. Heck, Beth Karas is now a trial blogger.)

BK saying juror was asked during voir dire if her ex-husband’s case would affect her in any way–does she harbor resentment against law enforcement . She said no

But it's not clear if BK saying the fact that Juan prosecuted him was disclosed

We don't know if he was her ex or her husband at the time. It is also possible that she hated him then and hates him now! He could be the reason that she THOUGHT she believed in the DP!! (for all we know) JMO

Good Morning all,

I might be wrong but I understood that to be JA would tell the Judge why she should be given Life with possible release in 25 years

IF Juan prosecuted her former husband back in 2000, she may say she had no idea who the prosecutor was from 15 years. She now has a different last name as she is now married to a different convicted felon So odds are her name wouldn't ring a bell with JM. Proving she lied will be tough unless was asked about and she didn't disclose their crimes.

Yes proving she lied will be hard to prove if she says what you said. IMO I find it very hard to believe she didn't know that Juan Martinez prosecuted her ex husband. That's something you remember.

One minute the juror wants to be removed, the next minute she doesnt want to be removed. I smell a rotten egg. A classic case of asking for something you dont really want in order to manipuate the outcome. Remember Jodi said I want death, no I dont want death. Follow the smell folks. I hope Juan caught onto this.

Aren't the potential jurors asked during selections if they have any connections to any of the players in the trial, including the lawyers?

:seeya: Yep ... asked if they know: the lawyers, anyone sitting at the lawyers' table, the defendant, the judge, etc.

And just jumping off your post here:

- Juan has prosecuted many people over many years as a prosecutor, and as brilliant as he is, there are probably far too many people to remember "exact names."

- I have no doubt that Juan and his team checked out every one of those jurors, and maybe this Juror #17 has a different last name than her former husband, maybe even current husband -- maybe uses her maiden name.

JMO !

We don't know if he was her ex or her husband at the time. It is also possible that she hated him then and hates him now! He could be the reason that she THOUGHT she believed in the DP!! (for all we know) JMO

And she was so disgusted by him, she went and married another convicted felon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79