Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think between her time at Joe's jail, high profile and the amount of money on her books perryville will classify her as phase 1 and have her in CDU. this means 1 15 minute phone call per week and $4£ per week on commissary. She will remain there for probably a good long while until they "beat" figuratively speaking her will down so that She will comply. She'll be a tough Cookie to crack but eventually until she accepts this is her fate they aaren't going to make her life easy

You should also ask what she will have. A successful suit will also prevent her from keeping any money from, say, a 'documentary' telling her side of the story.

I guess there is some merit to that but isn't there a law that prevents murderers from profiting from their crimes?

My feelings on this point are not about JA or to judge the Alexanders. I see this really broken hurting bunch of people. I just think there is a time you stop and save yourself more hurt and anguish. They have the right to do what they want and will, I just hate to see them destroyed by this anymore than they already are. It is clear that they are in unbelievable pain still.

I think between her time at Joe's jail, high profile and the amount of money on her books perryville will classify her as phase 1 and have her in CDU. this means 1 15 minute phone call per week and $4£ per week on commissary. She will remain there for probably a good long while until they "beat" figuratively speaking her will down so that She will comply. She'll be a tough Cookie to crack but eventually until she accepts this is her fate they aaren't going to make her life easy

I want her to get a reputation as a snitch. Because she is one.

I guess there is some merit to that but isn't there a law that prevents murderers from profiting from their crimes?

My feelings on this point are not about JA or to judge the Alexanders. I see this really broken hurting bunch of people. I just think there is a time you stop and save yourself more hurt and anguish. They have the right to do what they want and will, I just hate to see them destroyed by this anymore than they already are. It is clear that they are in unbelievable pain still.

The Alexander's are adults and I'm sure have had a discussion amongst themselves and their lawyer. If they feel like this is what they need to do then I support them 100%

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/05/07/will-jodi-arias-make-millions-book-deal
If Arias is convicted of any crime related to killing her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, she may have trouble cashing in because of an Arizona law.

Arizona has a "Son of Sam" law that prevents convicts from profiting off the publicity of their crimes.

However, Cook warns that Arizona's "Son of Sam" law may violate the U.S. Constitution and may not be enforceable based on other such laws that have been overturned around the country.

Well...she's 34 now so she's got at least 50 years to "adjust" Longevity runs in her family and she doesn't smoke....

image.jpg
Breakfast

JMO-Well, it's all in perspective, isn't it? What the civil suit option does is allow the family members to utilize another option to set boundaries for ja. It's up to the family whether they wish to do this or not.
If they do pursue the legal option, I don't see that as painful, I see that as empowering. And hurt, anguish and grief? It's there regardless.
Now, regret that you didn't do everything you could? To me, that would make it worse. But, that's my personal perspective.

In the end, the family will do what is best for them. And only they will know what that is. It's really not our call. We are on the outside, looking in. They are living it.

Of course it is not our call. But we can have an opinion on it.

Again, Just because I may not agree with their chosen path does not mean I don't support them no matter what they do. I just don't want to see them hurt over and over again. There are never any guarantees in court, I just can not stand to see their hearts broken one more time.. KWIM?

I have an adult daughter, I may not always agree with what she chooses but I 100% support her in her right to make those choices because I love her and it is her life to live and she is awesome.

If it was me, you can be sure I would take every single opportunity to make sure the person responsible payed as much as legally possible. I would do everything I could to keep as much money out of their pockets as possible. If this is the path the Alexander family wants to take than I, for one, back them 110%!!

Of course it is not our call. But we can have an opinion on it.

Again, Just because I may not agree with their chosen path does not mean I don't support them no matter what they do. I just don't want to see them hurt over and over again. There are never any guarantees in court, I just can not stand to see their hearts broken one more time.. KWIM?

I have an adult daughter, I may not always agree with what she chooses but I 100% support her in her choices because I love her and it is her life to live and she is awesome.

The support and unconditional love you show for your daughter is lovely. That very special and precious relationship is (to me) very different than decisions about a civil suit.

I am confident the family is getting very good legal advice. They not only have to think about the situation currently, but years down the road. The basic reason for a civil suit would be to shut down potential money trails. Because, lets face it, ja and her bizarre minions are flat out sneaky.
So, I'll leave it to the family to decide, feeling sure they are getting excellent advice as well as emotional support for the journey.

I thought LambChop put a halt to this argument yesterday and yet it's still a topic of debate... TOS includes listening to moderators. :worms:

Ummm ...ok...now I'm not so sure I want to read it ...

I felt the same way as Hope4More and Rickshaw. The whole book was about how she was innocent and very anti-Sheriff Joe and very anti-prison. However, it was very interesting to read about how life was/is on the inside. I shoved all of the author's views aside and envisioned the killer in all of the uncomfortable situations that were described.

It was tweeted today how JA gets her twisted views and words posted on social media. Video visitors show her their laptop screens- typically with FB and Twitter pages displayed. She reads from the screens and then tells the visitors what she wants posted.

How in the world any of this is permitted is beyond understanding, especially since the video calls aren't even recorded. In other words, anyone in Estrella can be contacted by anyone anywhere, be given access to any information that can be viewed on a computer screen, talk about anything, talk to as many people as they want, any day, even when in "solitary" confinement.

Money is the only reason I can think of for why Sheriff Joe allows this. The few dollars reaped per call obviously trumps every other consideration, including common sense.

It was tweeted today how JA gets her twisted views and words posted on social media. Video visitors show her their laptop screens- typically with FB and Twitter pages displayed. She reads from the screens and then tells the visitors what she wants posted.

How in the world any of this is permitted is beyond understanding, especially since the video calls aren't even recorded. In other words, anyone in Estrella can be contacted by anyone anywhere, be given access to any information that can be viewed on a computer screen, talk about anything, talk to as many people as they want, any day, even when in "solitary" confinement.

Money is the only reason I can think of for why Sheriff Joe allows this. The few dollars reaped per call obviously trumps every other consideration, including common sense.

Unbelievable!

What, then, is the point of screening mail? Or ensuring cell phones are not used by in person visitors? Or screening in person visitors? Or excluding convicted felons from visitation?

Not only can they say anything with these video calls, they can also plot how to game the system, and even her escape, and she can readily contribute to the delinquency of minors. It seems restrictions either are non-existent or terribly lax. Most of the rules become easy to contravene. It all seems pointless. How is any of this right?

$5 for 20 minutes. I don't know how many "celebrity" inmates are there who can video chat 9 hours per day. Look for news today. According to Troy Hayden, Sheriff Joe is trying to remove this privilege completely for Arias:

"Arpaio says any discipline in the jail has to go through a committee, and that process takes 2-3 days. Only after that is complete could Arias lose the right to make calls."

Please tell me there's no video chat system in Perryville. The only good thing to come from this new info is that it's all new and fresh at the top of her record. Perryville officials are just licking their lips, waiting for little Ms Tootsie Pop to show up there. They are going to make her life a living hell <mod snip>

Now that some time has passed, I love this ending. Everyone on that defense team knows that the ONLY reason she's not on death row is because 1 juror probably had a vendetta against Juan. None of them believed the garbage they were selling. This makes me very very happy.

JMO-Well, it's all in perspective, isn't it? What the civil suit option does is allow the family members to utilize another option to set boundaries for ja. It's up to the family whether they wish to do this or not.
If they do pursue the legal option, I don't see that as painful, I see that as empowering. And hurt, anguish and grief? It's there regardless.
Now, regret that you didn't do everything you could? To me, that would make it worse. But, that's my personal perspective.

In the end, the family will do what is best for them. And only they will know what that is. It's really not our call. We are on the outside, looking in. They are living it.

I agree. They feel righteous indignation and if their choice is to remain a thorn in the side of JA for the rest of her natural life, then they don't need anyone else's
advice, permission, or blessing to do so. At the end of each day they can 'talk' to Travis and tell him "This is what we did for you today in the name of justice."

$5 for 20 minutes. I don't know how many "celebrity" inmates are there who can video chat 9 hours per day. Look for news today. According to Troy Hayden, Sheriff Joe is trying to remove this privilege completely for Arias:

"Arpaio says any discipline in the jail has to go through a committee, and that process takes 2-3 days. Only after that is complete could Arias lose the right to make calls."

BBM, JMO-OK, I sort of get it now, after reading the article. He's dotting his i's, etc. He already knows she'll be mad. Won't that be a fun day when her video chats are over. :)

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/2...-of-jodi-arias-lose-right-to-make-video-calls

"Arpaio says any discipline in the jail has to go through a committee, and that process takes 2-3 days. Only after that is complete could Arias lose the right to make calls."It takes a few days to justify why we have taken action on any violation of our policy, I want to make sure we follow the proper procedures, she's not going to like this," said Arpaio.

Unbelievable!

What, then, is the point of screening mail? Or ensuring cell phones are not used by in person visitors? Or screening in person visitors? Or excluding convicted felons from visitation?

Not only can they say anything with these video calls, they can also plot how to game the system, and even her escape, and she can readily contribute to the delinquency of minors. It seems restrictions either are non-existent or terribly lax. Most of the rules become easy to contravene. It all seems pointless. How is any of this right?

No kidding! They can continue to run a business/deal drugs/pimp,threaten people, you name it. Isn't jail/prison supposed to remove you from society?

I'd have to say Manson; getting other people to kill for you is a level of manipulation that is not available to Arias.

It hasn't happened yet, that we know of, but who's to say. She has some pretty psycho followers.

I'm just SHOCKED that this convicted first degree murderer gets all that phone visit time while in jail. In a way though, it will make the stark contrast of her 23 hour locked down more, well, stark. It's no wonder she doesn't seem to exhibiting more "suffering" because let's face it, lock any of us in a room with that much access to the outside world, we might do pretty well. I don't even think you'd get that in a hospital! But jail and you're a first degree murderer. Let her fall off that cliff in to attentionless oblivion I say. Let her feel that shock to her system. But still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member