DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I created a thread here for Montreal River John Doe 2017 a few months ago. Last week a person who said he is his siblings posted that Montreal River John Doe 2017 has been identified with the assistance of the DDP. The Canadian LEs don’t always make official statements about identification, in any case I am glad Montreal River John Doe 2017 has been identified

New identification: Turkey Point John Doe 1998 found in Susquehanna River, located in Manor Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania identified as James Floyd Gibson.

New identification: Turkey Point John Doe 1998 found in Susquehanna River, located in Manor Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania identified as James Floyd Gibson.

Interesting that the Doe had been labelled as white. Looks like that was way off. That wouldn't have helped with finding his ID.
Anthropological measures of ancestry are imprecise at best and sometimes flat out wrong. DNA testing is the only way to know for sure.

Anthropological measures of ancestry are imprecise at best and sometimes flat out wrong. DNA testing is the only way to know for sure.
Yeah, I'm guessing they were relying on skull morphology. Even Bill Bass talked about how it can't be relied upon definitively when he wrote his first book.

MOO

Yeah, I'm guessing they were relying on skull morphology. Even Bill Bass talked about how it can't be relied upon definitively when he wrote his first book.

MOO
Yes, we need to shift to genetic-based measures. The only thing worse than not having an answer is having the wrong answer.

Yes, we need to shift to genetic-based measures. The only thing worse than not having an answer is having the wrong answer.
There are just too many cases where the age estimate is off, or the height estimate, or the racial background. Some remains are too partial or too damaged to even guess. Too many unidentified are some distance from where they were last known to be, creating jurisdictional blindness. And DNA can even help trans and gender diverse Does, where the pelvis or the chromosomes might tell you something, but the person's life was a different shape than a cisgender person's. DNA can't tell you what name they went by in their adult life, but it can tell you where they came from, which can lead to their chosen name and gender identity.

I just feel so strongly that it's the way to give so many people their names back, and give their loved ones answers.

MOO

Last edited:

In an exclusive interview with 19 Investigates, Dr. Thomas Gilson, Cuyahoga County’s Chief Medical Examiner, confirmed his office is teaming up with DNA Doe Project in a new effort to identify victims of the 1930s cold case murders

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP
Back