DNA Information

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Angel,

that artical makes me feel better.:)

We've never seen DNA results from the stain, but in George's interview the agent told him he was pretty sure it will yield DNA. Could this be the reason a gag order is being sought? The report from the link at the beginning of this thread says the stain is from Caylee:

"a source close to the investigation confirmed for Eyewitness News, that FBI test results show hair and a stain in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car belong to her daughter, 3-year-old Caylee Anthony."

LE went so far as to notify next of kin about the death of Caylee. IMO, this would never have been done unless they were sure.

ETA: I'm thinking nDNA as opposed to mtDNA

Thank you Angel,

that article makes me feel better.:)
Me too!:blowkiss: I still have to finish all of the links in the article yet. I noticed a link to crimes in the area including robbery, crime, murders, etc. I want to check if it shows gas thefts in the area of the A's. Interesting to know that they can get DNA from sweat stains, lip & nose on windows & half eaten food. I'm wondering what was found in the trash bag from KC's trunk & if they did get DNA from sweat from Caylee being in the trunk?:waitasec:

I noticed a few people were discussing Nuclear DNA and whether they needed the father's DNA in order for it be be referred to as Nuclear DNA. From what I've read, yes. I believe they know who the Caylee's father is and have already tested him.

Mitochondrial DNA analysis (mtDNA) can be used to examine the DNA from samples that cannot be analyzed by RFLP or STR. Nuclear DNA must be extracted from samples for use in RFLP, PCR, and STR; however, mtDNA analysis uses DNA extracted from another cellular organelle called a mitochondrion. While older biological samples that lack nucleated cellular material, such as hair, bones, and teeth, cannot be analyzed with STR and RFLP, they can be analyzed with mtDNA. In the investigation of cases that have gone unsolved for many years, mtDNA is extremely valuable.

All mothers have the same mitochondrial DNA as their daughters. This is because the mitochondria of each new embryo comes from the mother's egg cell. The father's sperm contributes only nuclear DNA. Comparing the mtDNA profile of unidentified remains with the profile of a potential maternal relative can be an important technique in missing-person investigations

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/forensics.shtml

interesting.. i wonder if this is why lee decided to lawyer up :waitasec:

Do they have to publicly reveal who the dad is? Basically, is there a point in the trial where the dad might be asked to testified being that he was never in Caylee's life anyways?

I noticed a few people were discussing Nuclear DNA and whether they needed the father's DNA in order for it be be referred to as Nuclear DNA. From what I've read, yes. I believe they know who the Caylee's father is and have already tested him.

Mitochondrial DNA analysis (mtDNA) can be used to examine the DNA from samples that cannot be analyzed by RFLP or STR. Nuclear DNA must be extracted from samples for use in RFLP, PCR, and STR; however, mtDNA analysis uses DNA extracted from another cellular organelle called a mitochondrion. While older biological samples that lack nucleated cellular material, such as hair, bones, and teeth, cannot be analyzed with STR and RFLP, they can be analyzed with mtDNA. In the investigation of cases that have gone unsolved for many years, mtDNA is extremely valuable.

All mothers have the same mitochondrial DNA as their daughters. This is because the mitochondria of each new embryo comes from the mother's egg cell. The father's sperm contributes only nuclear DNA. Comparing the mtDNA profile of unidentified remains with the profile of a potential maternal relative can be an important technique in missing-person investigations

This does not mean they need the father's DNA to compare Caylee's own known DNA sample with an unknown sample. Caylee inherited nuclear DNA from her father. It's present in the KNOWN sample. It's present in the unknown sample.

Yes, his attorney was just on WFTV. Initials are TL (not sure I can post his name since I don't have a link yet)

This confuses me. Why would either the father's or mother's DNA be needed? That's just for comparison purposes to establish parentage. A child (or anyone) can have a Nuclear DNA profile done. Then you COMPARE that to a woman's DNA profile to prove she is the mother and you COMPARE that to a man's DNA profile to determine if he is the father.

I'm not getting what others are questioning about needing the paternal DNA. Caylee's DNA profile was done shortly after her birth and those records were given to LE by JG who paid for the profile to be done.

Perhaps I read it wrong...I read it that they obtained nuclear DNA by comparing it to the father. They obtained mitochondria DNA by comparing to the mother. Apologies if I read this incorrectly. Perhaps this thread can be used though to discuss the DNA instead of other threads.

Perhaps I read it wrong...I read it that they obtained nuclear DNA by comparing it to the father. They obtained mitochondria DNA by comparing to the mother. Apologies if I read this incorrectly. Perhaps this thread can be used though to discuss the DNA instead of other threads.

Can someone link the information about them comparing Caylee's DNA to the father? Because that is not what i heard. They compared it to known DNA samples they already had from Caylee, that is what the ME said, that would be hair samples most likely. They never even mentioned mitocondria DNA which YES only comes from the mother.

Further thoughts...

A DNA profile was obtained from the remains found. Either bone marrow or dental pulp? I don't know. Point is, they then compared that profile with the known DNA profile already on record for little Caylee.

IF Caylee's DNA profile had never been done prevoiusly, then they most certainly would have needed EITHER the mother's OR the father's DNA profile to compare against for a positive id. Remember, KC only gave birth to one child, so if HER DNA showed she was the mother of the "remains" then that would be sufficent for a positive id.

I'm no expert. But I don't think I'm wrong about this.

Nuclear DNA differs from mtDNA in its source and in some of the information it provides. Among that information is information about paternity. That said, the father may still be unknown.

Further thoughts...

A DNA profile was obtained from the remains found. Either bone marrow or dental pulp? I don't know. Point is, they then compared that profile with the known DNA profile already on record for little Caylee.

IF Caylee's DNA profile had never been done prevoiusly, then they most certainly would have needed EITHER the mother's OR the father's DNA profile to compare against for a positive id. Remember, KC only gave birth to one child, so if HER DNA showed she was the mother of the "remains" then that would be sufficent for a positive id.

I'm no expert. But I don't think I'm wrong about this.

Even if Caylee's DNA profile had not been done previously, they could have obtained one from her hair samples, tooth brush, thermometer, etc.

Can someone link the information about them comparing Caylee's DNA to the father? Because that is not what i heard. They compared it to known DNA samples they already had from Caylee, that is what the ME said, that would be hair samples most likely. They never even mentioned mitocondria DNA which YES only comes from the mother.

My quote was not with regards to Caylee, it was a broader quote with respect to the nuclear DNA and how they obtain it. It was from the website that I linked. I read it wrong and apologize. However, DNA still can be discussed here. Paternity is a whole other matter. :blowkiss:

This is a simple explanation on how they id remains:

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/209493.pdf

Nuclear DNA comes from the cell nucleus and is inherited
from both parents, half from the mother and half from the
father (see figure below). Each person’s nuclear DNA is
unique—except for identical twins, who have the same
DNA. When a sufficient nuclear DNA profile from the
victim’s remains matches the nuclear DNA profile from a
sample known to have come from the victim, we can be
very sure of the identity of the victim.

Even if Caylee's DNA profile had not been done previously, they could have obtained one from her hair samples, tooth brush, thermometer, etc.

Oh yeah...good point!

I do believe that some peeps are making this whole DNA issue more complicated than it needs to be. Probably cause most associate DNA with proving parentage.

On a related note-how many of us were screaming at our TV sets this afternoon when LE opened the presser with "The next of kin have been notified". Oh REALLY? You notified the DAD?

Why did the ME specify nuclear DNA, why not just say. we have DNA proof its caylee, what was the point of saying nuclear, esp if everyone thinks no one knows who the father is. If the fathers DNA is needed for the test she did, woudlnt all the news reporters be asking about that?

Why did the ME specify nuclear DNA, why not just say. we have DNA proof its caylee, what was the point of saying nuclear, esp if everyone thinks no one knows who the father is. If the fathers DNA is needed for the test she did, woudlnt all the news reporters be asking about that?
father's DNA is not needed. Caylee nuclear Dna was proble extracted from root ball that was in hairbrushes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appt
Back