DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a little bit information about how the FBI Agent was involved in the identification of the Golden State Killer suspect:

Debate Grows Over Allowing Police to See DNA Data Stored by Genealogy Firms | The Crime Report

Here are some more details about the FBI's genealogy unit headed by agent Steve Kramer who was involved in the identification in the Golden State Killer case:

Home DNA test company courts controversy with FBI partnership

The FBI recently opened an Investigative Genealogy Unit, which is led by attorney Steve Kramer of the agency’s Los Angeles office.

Here is a report about a conference which references the use of investigative genetic genealogy and in particular in the Golden State Killer case to identify a possible offender:

Detective in Golden State Killer Case to Open 30th ISHI

Here is another report about this upcoming scientific conference and the use of investigative genetic genealogy will be discussed there:

The 30th International Symposium on Human Identification (ISHI), the world’s largest annual meeting focusing entirely on DNA forensics, will draw nearly 1000 law enforcement professionals and scientists to Palm Springs, CA next month to collaborate on the newest forensic technologies and industry trends. Workshops and presentations will cover current issues in forensic DNA analysis including legislative updates, rapid DNA technology, prosecution of cold case sex crimes, genetic genealogy and more. Paul Holes, a detective who helped track down the infamous Golden State Killer, will give the keynote address about how investigative genealogy techniques led to an arrest in the case that had remained unsolved for more than 20 years.

Experts to gather for world’s largest annual symposium on DNA forensics

Here is another report about this upcoming scientific conference and the use of investigative genetic genealogy will be discussed there:

The 30th International Symposium on Human Identification (ISHI), the world’s largest annual meeting focusing entirely on DNA forensics, will draw nearly 1000 law enforcement professionals and scientists to Palm Springs, CA next month to collaborate on the newest forensic technologies and industry trends. Workshops and presentations will cover current issues in forensic DNA analysis including legislative updates, rapid DNA technology, prosecution of cold case sex crimes, genetic genealogy and more. Paul Holes, a detective who helped track down the infamous Golden State Killer, will give the keynote address about how investigative genealogy techniques led to an arrest in the case that had remained unsolved for more than 20 years.

Experts to gather for world’s largest annual symposium on DNA forensics

I would have edited this to my original post but I cannot as the time limit has go but here is a another report on this conference which has a few links:

Forensic DNA experts to gather for 30th International Symposium on Human Identification (ISHI) Sept. 23-26 in Palm Springs

Here is an editorial about the use of genetic genealogy by LE. Of course one case has lead to a conviction in a court but I am still concerned the process may not be 100% 'fool proof' and there may actually be some misidentifications of innocent men and of course this would alter the argument as well:

Editorial: Safeguarding our DNA

Here is an article from a District Attorney's organisation about the use of genetic genealogy in cold cases:

New DNA tool helps identify murder victims and elusive killers and rapists - Association of Deputy District Attorneys

Here is part of the article:

They’re neighbors. Church leaders. Business executives.

They’re also murders and rapists who share a common bond in addition to their horrific crimes: they were all identified with a cutting-edge new tool called investigative genetic genealogy, or IGG.

IGG itself is not new – it’s what millions of genealogists, family historians and adoptees worldwide use to research their family trees and find birth parents by uploading their DNA to family-matching databases. What’s new is its use by law enforcement.

“Dozens of suspected killers and rapists have been identified, arrested, charged and prosecuted using investigative genetic genealogy,” says the nonprofit Institute for DNA Justice. “Most were living ordinary lives and living in plain sight.”

I just want to share this article about policing in the UK and the use of facial recognition technology has been controversial. It is related to investigative genetic genealogy as it mentions access to databases and I have seen it quoted that Anne-Marie Schubert to paraphrase her wants governments to be involved in the use of nationwide DNA databases which LE have access to for investigative genetic genealogy purposes:

Top cop: UK risks 'Orwellian, omniscient police state'

Facial recognition technology 'an epidemic in UK', says Big Brother Watch

I am of course in favour of criminals being caught and CCTV have played a good role in this and has likely made it much more difficult for Serial Killer to operate. There has been one conviction in a case using investigative genetic genealogy but I still have concerns that LE really do not understand the investigative genealogy they use and in some cases innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes. Therefore all of this technology needs to be checked.

Last edited:
Here is another case with an arrest after DNA was submitted to ParaBon Labs:

Police arrest Oregon suspect in 1978 murder of Alaska girl using DNA analysis

AK - AK - Shelley Connolly, 16, Anchorage, 7 Jan 1978

In this report LE confirm that DNA investigative genetic genealogy inspired by the arrest of Mr DeAngelo in the Golden State Killer case was used to identify this suspect:

https://www.ktoo.org/2019/09/03/ala...ce-arrest-in-41-year-old-anchorage-cold-case/

Here is part of the article:

A break came earlier this year, when the Alaska Department of Public Safety submitted a DNA sample from the case to a genetic database. In the last few years, a number of high-profile cold cases have been revived by so-called genetic genealogy, matching DNA evidence from criminal investigations with records kept by private commercial services.

The Department of Public Safety said the genetic match identified three brothers who could have fit the profile. One of the three, Donald McQuade, lived in Alaska at the time of the murder. According to Alaska State Troopers, a subsequent conventional DNA test on McQuade was a match, prompting his arrest.

Nationally, the same techniques turned up a suspect in the Golden State Killer case in California. In February, officials in Alaska announced they’d arrested a suspect in Maine and charged him with the 1993 murder of Sophie Sergie at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Last edited:
Here is an interview with Colleen Fitzpatrick:

Interview with Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick

This interview appears to focus around the identification of Jane and John Doe's. I am in favour of victims getting justice and LE who serve to protect the public from violent criminals including myself. This being said in my opinion investigative genetic genealogy as it is being used now is a flawed science. If any US privacy organisations and lawyers representing accused people read my posts I would like to say to them in my opinion these techniques have been used to wrongly accuse innocent people of crimes with very serious consequences. I want to quote part of this interview where in my opinion Dr Fitzpatrick rather arrogantly and flippantly dismisses any concerns people may have on the impact of her and others use of genetic genealogy on the US Fourth Amendment:

"There is a lack of understanding and really most people are complaining about certain possibilities than actual legalities. Many complaints will be from defense attorneys of offenders that were caught. So no, I don't think so. They left their DNA at the scene of the crime or with a victim. So they are being identified with it before forensic genealogy. The people in the database, everyone in GEDmatch opted in, they put it in a public database. Really nonsense and people complaining".

Here is an interview with Colleen Fitzpatrick:

Interview with Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick

Of course like Dr Fitzpatrick, CeCe Moore is a trained genealogist and here is her Wikipedia page. I post this because it is a good way of keeping up with the cases where investigative genetic genealogy has been used and it has been updated with the recent Alaskan case:

CeCe Moore - Wikipedia

Here is a link to the DNA DOE project:

DNA Doe Project

This may have been posted before but here is from Wikipedia a list of potential offenders identified through the use of GEDMATCH:

List of suspected perpetrators of crimes identified with GEDmatch - Wikipedia

Last edited:
California's DNA database was brought in because of the Golden State Killer case and of course it involved a lot of good work by the Harrington family and Larry Pool. There was some resistance to it at the time. Here is an interesting report which mentions the DNA database and the arrest of Mr DeAngelo as a suspect in the case:

In 1980, an attacker broke into an Orange County home, bound UC Irvine medical student Keith Harrington, 24, and his wife Patti and raped the woman before beating the couple to death. Police thought the Golden State Killer might be responsible, but they had no suspects. Keith’s brother Bruce Harrington became convinced that ‘the only way we can solve my family’s crime” was through DNA.

During the early 2000s, Harrington testified before the Assembly and the Senate public safety committees, “pleading that they embrace the power of DNA,” already proving effective in other states. Harrington’s pleas fell on deaf ears.

https://californiaglobe.com/legislature/california-wont-face-up-to-crime/

California's DNA database was brought in because of the Golden State Killer case and of course it involved a lot of good work by the Harrington family and Larry Pool. There was some resistance to it at the time. Here is an interesting report which mentions the DNA database and the arrest of Mr DeAngelo as a suspect in the case:

In 1980, an attacker broke into an Orange County home, bound UC Irvine medical student Keith Harrington, 24, and his wife Patti and raped the woman before beating the couple to death. Police thought the Golden State Killer might be responsible, but they had no suspects. Keith’s brother Bruce Harrington became convinced that ‘the only way we can solve my family’s crime” was through DNA.

During the early 2000s, Harrington testified before the Assembly and the Senate public safety committees, “pleading that they embrace the power of DNA,” already proving effective in other states. Harrington’s pleas fell on deaf ears.

https://californiaglobe.com/legislature/california-wont-face-up-to-crime/

Although I have nothing against the term Golden State Killer the offender to me will always be EAR/ONS. I just want to quote another part of the above article when there must have been a DNA hit on the state wide DNA database that Detective Pool put so much hard work into and the Harrington family put so much hard work and money into to find the killer of their loved one and to protect other people:

On April 25, 2018, Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced that DNA comparisons led to the arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo, 72. District Attorneys across the state were charging that DeAngelo was the Golden State Killer, the Original Nightstalker, and Sacramento’s East Area Rapist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eppomoosha
Back