• No, they are not safe

Votes: 93 12.9%
  • No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 55 7.6%

• Total voters
This morning I got mine.

I must admit I never got them when I was younger. and always sick...............

In 2001, I had brain tumor operation and went down less than 100 pounds............
doctors told me I had to get that and pneumonia shot.............so I did and so far
I have been well every year.

Do they give a different shot for someone over 65? I will be 70 on Christmas Day. :D:

Born on Christmas? I always knew you were special, oceanblueeyes ;)

I'm 66 until late January. My wonderful PCP is more concerned about the flu vaccine than the pneumonia shot for me. You might want to ask if you need both - based on your overall health history. Injections would not be given on the same day; 30-day waiting period between vaccines. Do what's determined to be best for you.

I'm 66 and had my doctor's appointment for prescription renewal just the other day. I also got my flu and pneumonia shots. My doctor recommended I have them.

Cold and flu season is coming up and I hope everyone stays well!

I'm 66 and had my doctor's appointment for prescription renewal just the other day. I also got my flu and pneumonia shots. My doctor recommended I have them.

Cold and flu season is coming up and I hope everyone stays well!

Interesting that you got both on the same day. My PCP said flu shot one day, then wait 30 days for pneumonia vaccine. She's not insistent on that one, so I will give it careful consideration.

Well, I don't know what to say except that I got one shot in the hip and one in the arm. The nurse gave them to me at the doctor's recommendation. I should call tomorrow and ask.

I read some of this thread... couldn't bare to read it in it's entirety! I an ICU nurse in Philadelphia and see many people die each year of the flu. But, I have never had anyone in my unit from reactions to the flu shot. And yes, most have predisposed illnesses that make them more susceptible to the flu. But not all! The first person who died of N1H1 in 2013 was in my unit! The person was in their 20's, had no chronic medical conditions but didn't get the flu shot. Please, get the flu shot! If you happen to get the flu, or any other illness right after, it's just dumb luck! You already had the flu virus "brewing" before you got the shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for the most part flu shots do what they intend--prevent or reduce severity of influenza. Some years they are less effective due to strains that were not anticipated in advance (when the vaccines are being manufactured). But those years are few and far between and I believe it is better to be safe than sorry. Flu shots are safe for most citizens--people with egg allergies should not get one because they are made from eggs but anyone who can safely have a flu shot should get one each year. It is, IMO, the smart thing to do for their own health and well being plus that of their family and others in their community with whom they have regular contact throughout the flu season. Not getting a flu shot when it is the safe thing to do seems selfish to me because vaccines are most effective in alleviating illness when whole communities are treated. Those not participating put others at risk, not just themselves.

All JMO.

Before we get into the very sensitive topic presented here, let us be very clear that we’re not against vaccination. We practice critical thought and this isn’t a black or white issue. There are times when vaccination it’s absolutely necessary. This my friends isn’t one of those times.

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/

Before we get into the very sensitive topic presented here, let us be very clear that we’re not against vaccination. We practice critical thought and this isn’t a black or white issue. There are times when vaccination it’s absolutely necessary. This my friends isn’t one of those times.

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer’s disease. One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots. Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.

There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer’s disease. One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots. Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.

From alz.org:

Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease
Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.

A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed.

I always get a flu shot. I think maybe one time I got sick from it, but it was years ago, so far so good! :)

I think they work for some people. For others, not so much. I have a compromised immune system so I always get the flu from the shot itself. supposedly you can't but I have every time. The years I opt out of it, I don't get it at all.

I think they work for some people. For others, not so much. I have a compromised immune system so I always get the flu from the shot itself. supposedly you can't but I have every time. The years I opt out of it, I don't get it at all.

What you get from the shot is NOT the full-on flu, believe me I've had both. You've been exceptionally lucky not to catch the flu when you haven't had the shot. Since you are immunocompromised, you should be the first person to get the shot, you will be that much harder hit if you don't immunize and you contract the full-on flu. My friend was hospitalized for 6 months fighting a respiratory infection!

Do they give a different shot for someone over 65? I will be 70 on Christmas Day. :D:

Yes, you want to make sure to get the high dose vaccine for those over 65. I was infuriated to find out today that the flu shot clinic held in my retirement community did not provide the high dose vaccine. Many seniors don't know about it, so they don't ask. Those who got the shot will not have the immunity they should have. I even asked one of the med aides last week to check on what flu shot would be given because two years ago the visiting nurses giving the shots didn't even know what they were using. Needless to say, the executive director will hear from me!

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/65over.htm

There is also some discussion about the best time to get the flu shot. We always get ours in early November so the immunity lasts later in the season. Of course, it's better to get it any time rather than never IMO. Last year our doctor had run out of the high dose and we had to call around to find a pharmacy that still had it.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/26/health/wait-for-flu-shot/

Immunity isn't instantaneous with the shot; get it in late September when places still have it and the weather hadn't yet gotten cold and everyone starts getting sick.

Anyone have this type of reaction to the shot? I had my first ever flu shot a couple of years ago and my arm swelled up about the size of half an orange at the injection site and was as hard as a rock and for a week it was so painful I couldn't sleep ... (and then I got the flu, lol).

Want to get another shot this year, but not sure how to deal with the pain.

Anyone have this type of reaction to the shot? I had my first ever flu shot a couple of years ago and my arm swelled up about the size of half an orange at the injection site and was as hard as a rock and for a week it was so painful I couldn't sleep ... (and then I got the flu, lol).

Want to get another shot this year, but not sure how to deal with the pain.

Ask your doctor. You might be allergic. It does not happen often, but there is a slight possibility.

Yes, you want to make sure to get the high dose vaccine for those over 65. I was infuriated to find out today that the flu shot clinic held in my retirement community did not provide the high dose vaccine. Many seniors don't know about it, so they don't ask. Those who got the shot will not have the immunity they should have. I even asked one of the med aides last week to check on what flu shot would be given because two years ago the visiting nurses giving the shots didn't even know what they were using. Needless to say, the executive director will hear from me!

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/65over.htm

There is also some discussion about the best time to get the flu shot. We always get ours in early November so the immunity lasts later in the season. Of course, it's better to get it any time rather than never IMO. Last year our doctor had run out of the high dose and we had to call around to find a pharmacy that still had it.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/26/health/wait-for-flu-shot/

I love this post! We still had active flu cases here in Pike County in June!!

Last year my new doctor insisted we get our shots in Sept., and my daughter caught the flu in March- she only got the FluMist. This year we will both be getting the actual shot in Nov, and hubby just got his recently (He neglected to get it last year, and a co-worker coughed on him, and I think he passed it on to my daughter).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back