Dominica - Quebec entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and companion Dominique Marchand found dead in burning car, three suspects detained - 30 Nov 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Otto.
I missed that article. Hopefully the RCMP agree. It would be disappointing if they didn't since the victims were Canadian. (and even if they weren't I would hope they would help out these small nations from time to time.)
It sounds like a done deal if its in the Toronto news.

'Police from Commonwealth of Dominica say they are collaborating with the RCMP on forensic analyses of the crime scene where two Canadians were found dead last week.'

Toronto Star

Although Jonathan Lehrer may have connections to local authorities in the Saint Mark Parish, RCMP will forensically analyze evidence. If evidence points to Lehrer, RCMP involvement will prevent deals between Lehrer and local officials. Pink line on the topomap is Parish Line.

Attachments

• 1702088689289.png
    1702088689289.png
    937.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1702088724924.png
    1702088724924.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 1702088899885.png
    1702088899885.png
    794.4 KB · Views: 2
I thought it was a bandage at first. Not sure. We don't see a photo of the burns, but maybe there's another image in the footage. CBC isn't known for gruesome graphic photos. Snyder was slow getting out of the van, even though the man on the other end of the handcuffs was pulling.

When the CBC reporter wrote that "Snyder appeared to have severe burns on his arm and leg." I understood that as eye-witness reporting. Written by John MacFarlane · CBC News · Dec 06, 2023. What do you think? Eye-witness, or rumour?
CBC won't tend to exaggerate, but I'm presuming that they are relying on a local to inform them. (John MacFarlane is based in Montreal.) Hence the word 'appeared'? It's possible that CBC send MacFarlane to Dominica, anticipating a big story, but it's still likely that they are relying on a local.

I'd lean toward believing that RS does have significant burns. Clearly the locals believed JL was responsible. I hope it's not a mob mentality, but really, who would want the 2 locally-revered Canadians dead?

Although Jonathan Lehrer may have connections to local authorities in the Saint Mark Parish, RCMP will forensically analyze evidence. If evidence points to Lehrer, RCMP involvement will prevent deals between Lehrer and local officials.
That's my hope too.
It would likely be too risky for senior government officials to release him 'as long as he left the country'.

CBC won't tend to exaggerate, but I'm presuming that they are relying on a local to inform them. (John MacFarlane is based in Montreal.) Hence the word 'appeared'? It's possible that CBC send MacFarlane to Dominica, anticipating a big story, but it's still likely that they are relying on a local.

I'd lean toward believing that RS does have significant burns. Clearly the locals believed JL was responsible. I hope it's not a mob mentality, but really, who would want the 2 locally-revered Canadians dead?
Good point!
Two Canadians might have been murdered by two men from the USA in the Commonwealth of Dominica over a land dispute. CBC better have an eye witness reporter on site!

The local article mentions that suspects were in court to be detained until trial. The CBC article mentions 4 suspects. Lehrer and Snyder might have arranged the murders and destroyed evidence, maybe the other two suspects were involved with the murders. I'm curious.

This looks like the source for original photos (per CBC News) but the reporting is different:
EmoNews

The Victim

VFX Veterans Mourn Death of Influential Softimage Founder Daniel Langlois. Softimage 3D software was used on such pioneering productions as 'Jurassic Park' and 'Titanic.'

That's my hope too.
It would likely be too risky for senior government officials to release him 'as long as he left the country'.
Not when Canada is interested in Lehrer for conspiracy to murder, and Snyder for destruction of evidence ... there's no deal to quietly leave the country during the RCMP evidence investigation. Lehrer and Snyder were remanded last Wednesday, Dec 6, pending charges in a higher court. After that, I suppose there is a bail hearing. Then we'll know more.

I'm curious about the other two suspects. They don't seem high profile enough to be in the news - but who are they, and how are they associated with Lehrer or Snyder? The chocolatier and the mechanical engineer. Where do the other two suspects fit in? Do they live nearby? Are the other two suspects road guards appointed by Lehrer?

Going to follow as this is baffling.

Respectfully, did the victims owe money -- or did the suspects think they owed $$ or was this about stopping them from doing business in that country ?
Again I'll try to read the links to catch up.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Doubting that the CBC has a reporter in the Commonwealth of Dominica during the investigation into the murders of two Quebec residents, one of whom was the founder of world famous SoftImage Animation software? The accused are from the USA, so not entirely a good idea to rely on USA news about the investigation. Good point - might be remote reporting.

Based on how the CBC article is written, and the single author, it sounds like eye witness testimony. He separates his words from local sources. He wrote about what "appeared" to be severe burns on Snyder's arm and leg. It's probably his right arm and leg, since he's handcuffed on the left.

True. CBC might be reporting information from virtual local unnamed sources.

"Local sources told Radio-Canada that someone ambushed and killed Langlois and Marchand and then set their car on fire. The sources said the assailant was injured when starting the fire, and that this helped police track down a suspect and make arrests.

Four people have been arrested by police in Dominica so far in connection with the killings, but it's not clear whether the other two will be charged. The next court appearance is set for March 2024."

CBC News

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to follow as this is baffling.

Respectfully, did the victims owe money -- or did the suspects think they owed $$ or was this about stopping them from doing business in that country ?
Again I'll try to read the links to catch up.
There is no information about money at this time. The only local information that has been released is that the couple who were murdered opened their resort last year, a self-sustaining oasis, after years of slow building. To get to the resort, owners and guests had to pass through land owned by the suspect, Jon Lehrer.

That might be the money angle. Lehrer was angry that people were passing through his place to get to a nicer place.

Attachments

• 1702098555078.png
    1702098555078.png
    794.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1702099168969.png
    1702099168969.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Not when Canada is interested in Lehrer for conspiracy to murder, and Snyder for destruction of evidence ... there's no deal to quietly leave the country during the RCMP evidence investigation. Lehrer and Snyder were remanded last Wednesday, Dec 6, pending charges in a higher court. After that, I suppose there is a bail hearing. Then we'll know more.

I'm curious about the other two suspects. They don't seem high profile enough to be in the news - but who are they, and how are they associated with Lehrer or Snyder? The chocolatier and the mechanical engineer. Where do the other two suspects fit in? Do they live nearby? Are the other two suspects road guards appointed by Lehrer?
Regarding the 'other two suspects', Victoria Lehrer, Jonathan's wife, was one of them and the other was a Dominican man. I wonder if this latter person was an key employee of theirs.
I'm presuming that these two aren't considered official suspects since they've been released.

During the course of the police investigation, the investigator had taken into custody, Lehrer, his wife, Snider, and a Dominican man. However, after the investigation, only Lehrer and Snider Jr. were charged.

When looking back at this article I previously missed the following bolded point.
American-born, Dominican residents Jonathan Scott Lehrer and Robert Snider Jr. have been remanded into custody at the Dominica State Prison following a charge of murder preferred against them by the police. It is alleged that between November 29, 2023, and December 2, 2023, at Bois Cotlette in Soufriere, Lehrer and Snider Jr., did murder eco-resort owners Daniel Langlois and his wife Dominique Marchand.
So it seems that police believe the primary crime scene is at Bois Cotlette.
https://dominicanewsonline.com/news...-on-charge-of-double-murder-of-resort-owners/

Who knows how the investigation will pan out. The alleged murderers are due in court on March 15 for a preliminary inquiry.

Last edited:
Regarding the burns on Snyder, I did see video showing he had significant burns on one of his legs. This isn't something you would get with via a bbq mishap. It seems pretty damning evidence that he was at the scene of the car fire and it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots. I don't wish to give advice to sociopaths but there were much better ways of disposing of the bodies in the jungle than leaving them in a burning car so appear to be dealing with inept amateurs.

Regarding the burns on Snyder, I did see video showing he had significant burns on one of his legs. This isn't something you would get with via a bbq mishap. It seems pretty damning evidence that he was at the scene of the car fire and it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots. I don't wish to give advice to sociopaths but there were much better ways of disposing of the bodies in the jungle than leaving them in a burning car so appear to be dealing with inept amateurs.
If Lehrer or Snyder was in the vehicle prior to the murder, they would have burned the car to destroy evidence, perhaps thinking it was two stones one toss - incinerate the bodies. Is it a flash burn?

The above article contains the report that on November 3, the government of Dominica gave Mr Langlois a 'Meritorious Service Award for his contributions to sustainable development and research projects' - could this have sparked something off in Lehrer? Was he angry & jealous that Mr Langlois was getting recognition for his work in Dominica and that he was not?

It seems a petty reason for murdering someone, but judging by Lehrer's replies on Trip Advisor he is clearly a petty & angry man.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would make a perfect setting for a mystery novel, with the alleged perpetrators hiding something far more sinister.

Back in the real world, hope they don't give this guy bail, he'll disappear in a heartbeat, possibly to a country with no extradition. I looked at the victim's resort, Coulibri Ridge, on Google maps and the reviews and pictures are beautiful. Would have made a nice place for a honeymoon. One wonders how it will continue after this terrible crime.

The resort:

April 4 2024
''The chocolatier accused in a Caribbean court of brutally murdering Canadian entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and his partner Dominique Marchand says he has been unfairly portrayed in the flurry of international media coverage of the killings.
Speaking for the first time from jail, American Jonathan Lehrer, 58, told the Star through his lawyers and a public relations firm that he could not comment on the allegations or how he plans to plead because the investigation is ongoing.''
Mar 23, 2024
Daniel Langlois and Dominique Marchand may not have been household names throughout Canada, but their achievements and projects received worldwide attention and recognition. In December of 2023, however, they were found brutally murdered on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

April 4 2024
''The chocolatier accused in a Caribbean court of brutally murdering Canadian entrepreneur Daniel Langlois and his partner Dominique Marchand says he has been unfairly portrayed in the flurry of international media coverage of the killings.
Speaking for the first time from jail, American Jonathan Lehrer, 58, told the Star through his lawyers and a public relations firm that he could not comment on the allegations or how he plans to plead because the investigation is ongoing.''
Mar 23, 2024
Daniel Langlois and Dominique Marchand may not have been household names throughout Canada, but their achievements and projects received worldwide attention and recognition. In December of 2023, however, they were found brutally murdered on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

<pulling out for focus>
"or how he plans to plead"

This tells me that pleading guilty is on the table. This tells me that he is likely guilty or otherwise it wouldn't be 'on the table'.

Lehrer and Snyder murder trial should get scheduled at the next hearing this month. I imagine everyone wants to proceed with this trial as soon as possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back