Don't think I can continue here if no Gen Discussion Thread...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'm glad that Tricia removed the general threads. I found it hard to keep up. I loved the way we did it with the Peterson case. It was so much easier to just read what you were interested in, instead of wading through a HUGE thread! JMO though.
i too prefer the seperate threads .. i dont read all the threads just the ones im interested in . and i rather like that its way more organized imho but im not knocking the others who dont feel that way :blowkiss:

I'm so lost. I've been on here an hour and just now found a group of active posters. And now it's noon and time for me to get off for awhile. I'm so confused. I spend most of my time wandering from thread to thread. Is there some way to find out where the active discussions are without going from thread to thread? I'm a newbie. Thanks for any help.

I just found the ranting thread.......maybe we can go there and vent it out...might make some of us feel better.
--

How do you guys feel about going to chat? That's where I'm heading now! :)

I'm so lost. I've been on here an hour and just now found a group of active posters. And now it's noon and time for me to get off for awhile. I'm so confused. I spend most of my time wandering from thread to thread. Is there some way to find out where the active discussions are without going from thread to thread? I'm a newbie. Thanks for any help.

When you login, click on NEw Posts at the top. It shows every thread with a new post since you last logged in.

You can hit New Posts at the top of the page and it shows the newest posts but they are not all in the Caylee Anthony Discussion.

Another thing you can do too: if there's a thread you're interested in and haven't made a comment on it, you can subscribe to it under the thread tools at the top of the thread. THen vbulletin software will send you emails when that get updated as long as you're logged in (a reply will be included in the email.) I keep track of threads this way as well.

Hey, I was being nice!!! I'm not trying to be mean, but no one is forcing anyone to sign on to here........ If anyone wants out, that seems to be a fairly simple solution to me.

Poco, IMO......You are the cats meow here! I enjoy your posts. That said, that good advice, just that simple. :blowkiss:

I agree that its MUCH harder to stay caught up now - with general thread you could bounce ideas until a thread regarding the "idea" was needed - and could read back maybe 2 pages and have an idea as to what was going on - now once I comment I cant keep track of what Ive read - where Ive commented and how far back I need to go to figure out where I left off after commenting.......

Im lost!

I do miss the general thread because it was more of just a chat thread. You could just stay there and chat about everything and didn't have to jump around. But I don't think the mods liked that.

It was easier and I'm still not sure why the thread had to be closed. :confused: Sigh. No use complaining, I guess.

Oh thank you all so much. When I come back on , it won't be so frustrating.

I totally understand what you're saying!

It sounds like some folks are keeping lots of individual threads minimized, and then refreshing them. Just my opinion- this is still not easy for flow, and if many, many minute threads is the future we need to be careful not to make folks feel bad if they start a duplicate. Not everyone is going to search and search to see if their input should be a brand new thread.

SNIP
If you see a topic that already has a thread, pm a mod and ask them to merge them. I also try and post in the new topic to let people know that there is already a topic started.

SNIP

I thought it would be awful, but its not. I don't post a lot and this allows me to scroll through the topics.

What was said by Cagney above is important. If you accidentally start a thread that covers an existing thread, take on the responsibility to PM a mod and have them merge your thread with the existing one.

No matter what we do there will be a group of people who do not like it.

In the Scott Peterson case, which was our biggest case next to this one, we never had general discussion threads and it worked fine.

It can get muddled only because of the number of people on the board. Please be patient, look for a topic you want to talk about, then if you see that there is no topic that addresses your idea, make a new thread.

Please remember to look back a few pages too for your thread or use your search feature.

Perhaps a very seasoned WS member will be nice enough to post exactly how to do a good search on a thread topic. I would really appreciate that.

Please, if you don't like it here you...can...go...and ...not ...log...back...in.

You do not need to tell anyone, you don't need to announce it, and, you are not allowed to delete your account. Once posted on Websleuths it becomes our property.

If for some reason you want your account to be non-functional please PM me or any of the moderators and we will ban you.

Please keep in mind that every time we have to stop to ban someone it takes away valuable time from the work we need to do.

I would appreciate it if you don't want to be here then leave. No hard feelings. Just go and do not create more work for us.

Thank you,
Tricia

All of the forums I'm involved in have separate threads or topics. General discussion is generally used for general discussion like the weather, the fact that you may have broken a toenail, that kinda thing.

I find this easier: I have 10 tabs or so open on my browser, for each topic - I can go to each one, refresh, read the new stuff and move on. With the general discussion, I found I was reading the first page and then go to the last page.

Right clicking is your friend.

I have been doing this also since the closing of the general thread. It is a good way to keep up but if a lot of people are doing this, the bandwith must be going through the roof.

"I would appreciate it if you don't want to be here then leave."

the same thing could be said to the people that dont like the general threads, dont like them? dont read them.

obviously LOTS of people enjoy them and find them useful.

if the main reason for the objection to general threads is to "steer" the way that members communicate then i think it is a terrible idea. if it is primarily because it places unneeded strain on the server then its unfortunate but understandable.

"I would appreciate it if you don't want to be here then leave."

the same thing could be said to the people that dont like the general threads, dont like them? dont read them.

obviously LOTS of people enjoy them and find them useful.

if the main reason for the objection to general threads is to "steer" the way that members communicate then i think it is a terrible idea. if it is primarily because it places unneeded strain on the server then its unfortunate but understandable.

I think our time could be spent more constructively trying to find searchers to help with the search. Tricia already stated her opinion on the General Discussion threads, so I'd think there wouldn't be anything more to discuss.

I have to add my vote to those who find the general discussion threads to be useful, and don't understand why they have been abandoned.

I wasn't here during the Scott Peterson trial, and would venture to say that many other people posting weren't here at that time, either.

I don't know how many people were posting then, but it seems that the people who are here now, discussing a different case, find the general discussion format to be convenient and functional.

I guess I don't understand why the Casey Anthony discussion is being constricted into a format that worked for the Scott Peterson case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member