Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, August 22nd:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing for both (@ 8:30am ET) – FL – Dr. Teresa Ann Grace Sievers (46) (June 29, 2015, Bonita Springs) – *Mark D. Sievers (50) arrested & charged (2/26/16) & indicted (5/4/16) with 1st degree premeditated murder & conspiracy to commit 1st degree premeditated murder. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP.
*Jimmy Ray Rodgers (28) arrested & charged (2/23/16) & arraigned (5/5/16) with 1st degree premeditated murder with a weapon, conspiracy to commit 1st degree premeditated murder & burglary. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial set to begin 10/1/19 for both – maybe.
Court hearings from 1/25/19 thru 5/9/19 reference post #122 here:
Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers, 3 June 2019

5/9/19 Update: Sievers has Motions hearing on 5/14. Rodgers has pretrial conference hearing on 5/14.
5/14/19 Update: Next motions hearing on 6/3 for both. 6/3/19: Additional witnesses have been added. Next pretrial hearing on 6/14 for both. 6/14/19: Motion to withdraw Rodger’s statement in Sept. 10, 2015-"In totality of the circumstances, procedurally it’s accepted. However, I’m going to reserve ruling to think about its relevance and value versus its prejudicial value. I’ll give you a ruling shortly,” said Judge Bruce Kyle. Motion to avoid the use of the term “burner phone” (defense wants "prepaid cell phone)-Judge saying the term is not inappropriate. Next hearing for both on 8/22. Trial has been set to start on 10/1 for both.
6/14/19: Motion re burner phone-denied. Motion for court orders re court personnel interacting w/jurors-denied. Motion re Flordia’s death penalty unconstitutional-denied. Motion to sever trials-withdrawn. Motion in Limine re defendant’s sexual activity-withdrawn.
6/26/19 Update: 61 subpoenas were issued by defense requiring attendance at trial.
8/7/19 Update: Rodgers’ defense files motion to sever trials. 8/19/19: State responses to motion to sever trials.
*Curtis Wayne Wright, Jr. (41) arrested (10/14/15) & charged (10/20/15) & indicted (5/5/16) with 2nd degree premeditated murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Took plea deal (2/26/16) plead guilty to 2nd degree murder; serving 25 years, waives all rights to appeal. Will testify at trials. Sentencing on 12/2.

A judge ruled in favor of a co-defendant in the Sievers murder trial after Jimmy Rodgers requested a separate trial from Mark Sievers.

Rodger’s lawyer argued that severing Rodgers and Sievers was necessary because they have “antagonistic defenses, and due to the complexity of the issues and evidence involved in the case.”

According to the report, in this case, there is a risk that the jury would be influenced by evidence that applied to only one defendant, and there is a high probability that the jury would convict both defendants solely based on the fact that they were charged and tried together.

https://www.winknews.com/2019/08/21...-jimmy-rodgers-in-teresa-sievers-murder-case/

Sievers attorney said they are not ready for an October 1 trial due to severance motion granted to Rodgers which allows him to have a separate trial from Sievers.
Sievers lawyer claims that motion granted changes their strategy.

Rodgers attorney is hoping to be ready by Oct. 1 but can’t say for sure right now.

The motion hearing is set for Sept. 9 at 8:30 a.m.

https://www.winknews.com/2019/08/22...ime-after-rodgers-was-granted-separate-trial/

Not being ready is a delay tactic from both MS and JRR. They should be ready. I always thought that the trials should be separate. I figured d MS attorney would ‘tell’ JRR attorney ‘how the evidence should be presented’ and what they would do which would not be right for JRR...making JRR take the fall.

Now I wonder if JRR will turn against MS....it still could happen and it would be wise to do that IMO but defense never listens! It may be to late for a deal? I would think it never is too late.

I am somewhat amazed that their trials would be separated, but I don't know the detailed pleadings of the motion

But in simple terms, the state alleges a joint enterprise here.

Especially seems strange separation happened so late in the day

I am somewhat amazed that their trials would be separated, but I don't know the detailed pleadings of the motion

But in simple terms, the state alleges a joint enterprise here.

Especially seems strange separation happened so late in the day
There's some explanation from this post onwards on the sidebar thread by AZlawyer and Beach:

Sievers Sidebar #5

It doesn't explain the lateness of the motion though.

The attorney representing Mark Sievers indicated that the decision to divide the trial changes their strategy, requires additional witnesses to be hired and deposed, and leaves them requesting a continuance from the court.

Attorneys working on behalf of Jimmy Rodgers told the judge they were as prepared as they could before trial, despite the recent release of additional documents related to trace evidence and DNA details from FBI analytics. In prior court hearings, the state indicated those findings from the FBI were likely positive for the defense.

[...]

The state indicated that they're ready for trial no matter which trial winds up going first when the October trial is set to begin.

Rodgers was arrested months prior to Sievers, which could put his case first. His attorneys also indicated that they're ready for trial with the case they have prepared. Rodgers was the defendant that requested the motion to sever the case.

Both men will be back in court in September to discuss motions that are still pending.

After Sievers murder case split, it's unclear who will be on trial first

BBM. I don't really understand why there would be a significant shift in strategy for MS, or the need to hire additional [expert?] witnesses.

BBM. I don't really understand why there would be a significant shift in strategy for MS, or the need to hire additional [expert?] witnesses.
Legally Bland am thinking the same.....what significant change in strategy? Other than MS blaming everyone else, and the defense claiming he is totally innocent and being "set up" by CWW & his malleable sidekick JRR.
THEORETICALLY: CWW was angry for MS "flying into town" and ruining his wedding by taking advantage of the bride while intoxicated. (?!) And JRR was angry because MS was a pushy, entitled guy from Florida who stole his parking spot. (major eyeroll ?!)
Hmmm, I guess having the cases separated will be more beneficial to MS than to anyone else. Mr. Mom and devoted husband who acted badly (ie the sexual addiction defense expert????) before and after the wedding.... and incurred the wrath of two ex-convicts hell bent on revenge.
Now that the trials will be separated, JRR will blame CWW & MS for plotting the crime and trying to frame him because he is young man with a tragic & troubled past.
This will be interesting.

Hey Mr. J.

Yes, there are many threads, going way back, on this complicated case. This trial has been a long time coming. Should be fascinating. They will all start pointing fingers at each other, if they haven't already.

IIRC a couple of years ago, I read a lot of the main threads but since then i pretty much forgot everything about the case.

I need to delve back into it but it is a bit daunting. I was kind of planning on using the State's opening to crib it ;)

Legally Bland am thinking the same.....what significant change in strategy? Other than MS blaming everyone else, and the defense claiming he is totally innocent and being "set up" by CWW & his malleable sidekick JRR.
THEORETICALLY: CWW was angry for MS "flying into town" and ruining his wedding by taking advantage of the bride while intoxicated. (?!) And JRR was angry because MS was a pushy, entitled guy from Florida who stole his parking spot. (major eyeroll ?!)
Hmmm, I guess having the cases separated will be more beneficial to MS than to anyone else. Mr. Mom and devoted husband who acted badly (ie the sexual addiction defense expert????) before and after the wedding.... and incurred the wrath of two ex-convicts hell bent on revenge.
Now that the trials will be separated, JRR will blame CWW & MS for plotting the crime and trying to frame him because he is young man with a tragic & troubled past.
This will be interesting.

Thanks, I have been away for a while but you have brought it all back to my memory with this one succinct spot on post! Moo

I guess I will have to look for all the sub threads which I may not be subscribed to at this time. I don't want to miss anything.

Thanks, I have been away for a while but you have brought it all back to my memory with this one succinct spot on post! Moo

I guess I will have to look for all the sub threads which I may not be subscribed to at this time. I don't want to miss anything.

I believe this is the most active thread. The Sidebar one here:

Sievers Sidebar #5

has been just repeated what has been posted here. :)

What would you guys recommend to get up to speed with the case?

Wade though the discovery? Or just wait for prosecution opening? I read a bit of the discovery thread and realised I had read a lot of this before. The whole business with the hitmen driving to Florida and leaving a trail of evidence.

What dummies

What would you guys recommend to get up to speed with the case?

Wade though the discovery? Or just wait for prosecution opening? I read a bit of the discovery thread and realised I had read a lot of this before. The whole business with the hitmen driving to Florida and leaving a trail of evidence.

What dummies

Why not just wait for opening statements, and "see" how you would vote on guilty or not guilty. You could be "our" anonymous juror! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee