Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember if JRR had a troubled childhood in the earlier threads? I am still not understanding why he gave up the plea. He might be physically strong but I think he has a hard time comprehending things...….

Rodgers grew up with one older brother in Paris, Missouri, a small town about two and a half hours northwest of St. Louis. His mother died in 2000 when he was 9 years old. His father died seven years later.

I just saw that after I posted... Thanks!! Sounds like he had less than an ideal childhood with no role models. I think he has a learning disability and wants attention in the spotlight...jmo

I agree completely. If I remember correctly, he agreed to drive down and help CWW for only $10,000? I immediately thought he must have some seriously poor background or have nothing to live for. His intelligence level seems low to me. Which is not the case with CWW.

I just saw that after I posted... Thanks!! Sounds like he had less than an ideal childhood with no role models. I think he has a learning disability and wants attention in the spotlight...jmo

I agree completely. If I remember correctly, he agreed to drive down and help CWW for only $10,000? I immediately thought he must have some seriously poor background or have nothing to live for. His intelligence level seems low to me. Which is not the case with CWW.

CWW said he needed help because of his physical limitations, so JRR was needed for the horse power. But again $10,000 is a lot for someone like JRR who did not have that much money to begin with. Perhaps more of his background and further details of what he would receive from helping CWW will emerge in trial. It is just hard to understand why he refused the plea, unless he will say he was blackmailed or threatened if he didn't help.

If his intelligence is low will his attorney bring this out as a way to get sympathy, a lesser sentence or ? Would we know by now what his defense will be?

We wouldn’t know his defense at this point. I’m sure it will be easy to tell once opening arguments begin. Usually only information pertaining to the case would be included in the phase one part of trial that decides innocent/guilty. But during sentencing where they decide (life, LWOP, death) it is common to discuss the defendants character, intelligence, childhood trauma, etc. for the jury to decide if those are factors to give leniency.

I could see them bringing intelligence into the beginning by using CWW’s intelligence to play that he was manipulated into being an accomplice. I’m sure this will be a loooooong trial.

CWW said he needed help because of his physical limitations, so JRR was needed for the horse power. But again $10,000 is a lot for someone like JRR who did not have that much money to begin with. Perhaps more of his background and further details of what he would receive from helping CWW will emerge in trial. It is just hard to understand why he refused the plea, unless he will say he was blackmailed or threatened if he didn't help.

I’m thinking the plea offer was LWOP, just to save him from the death penalty, and he is convinced he will end up with LWOP if he’s found guilty at trial. Which is pretty good odds in Florida.
Although I’ve heard many think he’s less of a monster than MS and CWW, and I tend to have a very difficult time with JRR physically killing a complete stranger.

I don't want my opinion on JRR attached to any individual post, because I do NOT think he has "below average intelligence." I think he had a lot of anxiety about going to prison/jail the first time. The first time is when he became pals with CWW in the big house. CWW took him "under his wing" in lock up. I think he is of average intelligence, very homely, and likes to intimidate people with his tales of life in prison. Remember, his nickname, for a long time has been "THE HAMMER." And believe me, he didn't get that nickname because he is a carpenter! He got that name because that is the weapon he can always carry in his car and not get arrested if stopped by LE. He was smart enough to make up a story about his brother graduating from law school and paying for a celebratory trip to Florida. He hears just fine, he works just fine, he got a driver's license just fine (gotta past a test for that, too!) He may be socially awkward and lacks sophistication....BUT, HE AIN'T DUMB. Older rattle snakes are deadly (CWW) and younger rattle snakes are cute, but always just as deadly. JRR smashed in a woman's head with more than a dozen blows..... he just doesn't like the plea deal he was offered. rggggghhhh

I’m thinking the plea offer was LWOP, just to save him from the death penalty, and he is convinced he will end up with LWOP if he’s found guilty at trial. Which is pretty good odds in Florida.
Although I’ve heard many think he’s less of a monster than MS and CWW, and I tend to have a very difficult time with JRR physically killing a complete stranger.

It is interesting that ppl that commit brutal murders will fight for their own life...they are cowards! I am leaning towards death penalty. The crime was so brutal and heinous

I don't want my opinion on JRR attached to any individual post, because I do NOT think he has "below average intelligence." I think he had a lot of anxiety about going to prison/jail the first time. The first time is when he became pals with CWW in the big house. CWW took him "under his wing" in lock up. I think he is of average intelligence, very homely, and likes to intimidate people with his tales of life in prison. Remember, his nickname, for a long time has been "THE HAMMER." And believe me, he didn't get that nickname because he is a carpenter! He got that name because that is the weapon he can always carry in his car and not get arrested if stopped by LE. He was smart enough to make up a story about his brother graduating from law school and paying for a celebratory trip to Florida. He hears just fine, he works just fine, he got a driver's license just fine (gotta past a test for that, too!) He may be socially awkward and lacks sophistication....BUT, HE AIN'T DUMB. Older rattle snakes are deadly (CWW) and younger rattle snakes are cute, but always just as deadly. JRR smashed in a woman's head with more than a dozen blows..... he just doesn't like the plea deal he was offered. rggggghhhh
We all have disabilities but intelligence is not a strength of his and he falls below on tests, imo.

I agree, but I also think they would have to prove an IQ less than 70 to use that as their primary defense, so I’m not sure he’s that low to get a free pass. I’m sure they will play the orphan card though. Definitely the fact that he was willing to do anything for a measly 10 grand shows desperation.

Thank you so much for the updates Scalex. When do we get to the point in selection when both sides get to start striking jurors they don't approve of? How many does each side get to strike? (I'm assuming they still do that)
And as an aside, who thinks AW will come to SWFL for any part of this whole process?

If JRR’s IQ or any other mental issue is brought up, I hope he is tested. It needs to be done for fairness....for all sides, but will it? I still feel he knows right from wrong, needs to held responsible, and messed up by not taking the plea.

I noticed in the one picture of MS and JRR, in the court room, looking at each other like they were long lost friends....MS even had a small smile on his face....they are going to try hard to throw CW over the railing into the deep ocean and try to,get home to take the fall....but LE has evidence.

With that, the children will not be brought back to testify will they? I hope not.

Thank you so much for the updates Scalex. When do we get to the point in selection when both sides get to start striking jurors they don't approve of? How many does each side get to strike? (I'm assuming they still do that)
And as an aside, who thinks AW will come to SWFL for any part of this whole process?
I have no doubt she'll be someone that is called to testify. That she'll be here the entire time, I don't think so because of costs associated with needing housing for the time she's here. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381