Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I'm lost here. I admittingly have not been following this one closely but why is that towel so important? I have just been following this on twitter and there seemed to be a lot of tweets about the towel.

The state's theory is that DP dragged her into the bathroom and drowned her.
When the EMT's arrived there was no towel or bathmat set out. AFTERWARDS, there was a towel and bathmat. It was too late for the victim to have set them out, but DP was right there on scene. And maybehe thought it looked too bare and he set the stage with the towel and bathmat while no one was looking.

It would crack me up if the jury found him guilty because of one stupid, arrogant and sloppy decision like that.

:seeya:

I have 2 Questions that I know y'all will know ... and it will be faster than me trying to look it up :innocent: TIA !

1. How long had Kathleen been deceased -- according to the M. E. -- when she was found ?

2. When DP, the neighbor, locksmith, etc. went into the house when Kathleen was found -- DP was wearing his uniform :

So was DP going to work or getting off work ? OR -- was this another STAGING of "being in his uniform" by DP ?

:tyou:

This picks up where ~n/t~ left off:

Locksmith Robert Akin still on the stand

In Session

Akin: “Most of the time I try to kneel down, to see what I’m doing.”

Prosecution: “Recall how long it took you to open that door that night?”

Akin: “I would say probably about six minutes.”

Prosecution: “What happened after you opened the door?”

Akin: “I opened the door, and the people walked into the house. I was putting my picks away, and just chit-chatting for a minute or two.”

Prosecution: “Did the defendant go into the house?”

Akin: “No, he did not.”

Defense: “Were there any other police officers at the house at this time?”

Akin: “No, I didn’t see any…[only] Sgt. Peterson.”

Prosecution: “Did you go into that house?”

Akin: “I did not.”

Prosecution: “Do you customarily go into the house after you open it up?”

Akin: “I do not, unless it’s an eviction, and I’ve been cleared to go in…you never know what you’re going to run into. And that’s how it’s done.”

about a minute ago · Like

===============================

In Session

As he was collecting his equipment, he was speaking to the defendant.

“I don’t even remember the conversation, probably giving him the business about something.”

Prosecution: “What happened next?”

Akin: “There was a commotion, like a screaming…I was standing in front of Sgt. Peterson. He just looked and said, ‘I’ve got to go!’ and went running in. And I just got the heck out of Dodge, and went and sat in my truck for a couple minutes.”

a few seconds ago · Like

In Session

Prosecution: “Can you tell me where you went after you collected your tools and the defendant went into the house?”

Akin: “I walked to my truck, and got in my truck and called back to my house. I said I’d be back in a few minutes.”

Prosecution: “Did you know what had happened at that point?”

Akin: “No…I just kind of figured it wasn’t good. I’ve been through stuff where it wasn’t a good situation; you don’t want the locksmith around, trust me.”

Once he saw the ambulance arrive, he decided to leave.

about a minute ago · Like

===============================-

In Session

During the time he and Peterson were speaking, they were probably three feet apart.

Prosecution: “After the ambulance arrived, did you leave then?”

Akin: “Yes, I did.”

a few seconds ago · Like

In Session

Prosecution: “Had you ever done a wellness check for the defendant before?”

Akin: “None.”

4 minutes ago · Like

In Session

Prosecution: “When you do wellness checks, do you typically charge the Bolingbrook Police Department?”

Akin: “Well, every wellness check is different…so not every situation is hard and fast. I’ve had situations where unfortunately there was a clear-cut deceased person…but every one is different. There are times I just don’t want to get into it, and I just let it go.”

Prosecution: “Did you charge on this particular incident?”

Akin: “No, I did not.”

3 minutes ago · Like

In Session

That ends the direct examination of Robert Akin.

The judge decides to call the lunch recess at this time.

The trial will resume at 1:15 CT (2:15 ET).

ACR

I wonder if he pulled his gun when he went running into the house after hearing a scream?

I don't know any cops who would blindly run into a situation like that without pulling their weapon first as they entered. Unless of course they already knew it was 'safe' to enter.

12:55 p.m. 'They haven't laid a glove on us'

As they left the courthouse for a lunch break, defense lawyers Joel Brodsky and Joe Lopez told reporters they were happy with the judge's instruction to jurors striking disputed remarks from a neighbor of Kathleen Savio.

Brodsky said the testimony so far has done little to build the prosecution case. "They haven't laid a glove on us yet," he said.

State's Atty. James Glasgow said he was pleased with the judge's decision denying a mistrial.

"The court made the correct call this morning and we're ready to go full speed ahead," he said. "The reputation of our office, I'll put against any state's attorney's office in the state of Illinois."

12:20 p.m. 'I got the heck out of Dodge'

Robert Akin Jr., a locksmith, said he was called to open the door of Kathleen Savio's home on the evening her body was found.

The deadbolt was not locked, but the door handle was, he said. Drew Peterson waited at the door with him, "chit chatting," while neighbors went inside the home.

"There was like, a commotion, a scream," Akin said. "I was standing in front of Drew and he looked at me and said, 'I gotta go.' I got the heck out of Dodge, I just kind of went and sat in my truck for a little bit."

Shortly before 12:30 p.m., the trial broke for lunch. It will resume at 1:15 p.m.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ed-today-on-mistrial-20120802,0,1805576.story

In Session Judge Burmila has returned to the bench. “Two quick housekeeping matters…I gave Mr. Connor from AT&T that some material was mistakenly subpoenaed from them, when it was really from Nextel.” The jurors return to the courtroom, and witness Robert Akin returns to the stand.

Glenn Marshall ‏@GMarshall_Jr
Defense begins questioning Robert Akin #DrewPeterson

Brodsky said the testimony so far has done little to build the prosecution case. "They haven't laid a glove on us yet," he said.

Oh really? Then why all the crying and whining and asking for a mistrial because you were so irreparably damaged by the state?

In Session Defense attorney Joel Brodsky begins his cross-examination of locksmith Robert Akin. The witness confirms that he comes from a family of locksmiths (including his grandparents). “I worked at the locksmith shop on the South Side [of Chicago] with my Uncle Mack…I just didn’t want to work there anymore, so I came to Bolingbrook to work with Larry.” Defense: “You apprenticed with Larry?” Akin: “Yes.” Defense: “How long did you undergo training with Larry?” Akin: “From 1973, when I started with him, until 1978, when I bought it. He was one of the best.” The witness says that he also regularly attends seminars on locksmithing. “It’s fun.”

In Session Once again, the witness goes over the locksmith certifications that he’s received from professional associations in that field. Defense: “You are one of the few certified auto locksmiths?” Akin: “Yes, that’s a new certification they’ve come up with…from Associated Locksmiths of America.” He is licensed by the State of Illinois. Defense: “You have to take a test…I was grandfathered, because I’d been a locksmith for such a long time. The law states that I was OK.”
about a minute ago

In Session When asked about wellness checks, the witness says “it all depends on circumstances.” Defense: “What’s the most you’ve had in a month?” Akin: “One or two, usually…it’s not a big thing, because usually there’s another way to get into the house; somebody’s got a key.” Defense: “But you wouldn’t just open the door for anybody?” Akin: “No, authority has to be involved in that particular situation.” Defense: “How often would you get opening calls?” Akin: “Summertime, especially…you could get three or four a month.” Defense: “So people could get forgetful about locking their locks?” Akin: “Yes, Sir.”

In Session Most of his wellness checks are in association with the Bolingbrook Police Department. “They just call you up, and basically tell you what they want. And we hop to it.” He’s had the same phone number since 1969 (“a lot of people know the number, and they call the number…everything goes through the land line. And if Chris or myself want to take the phones that night, we transfer the calls to our individual cell phones”).

In Session He first met Drew Peterson “a real long time ago.” Defense: “Was he ever the officer there when you were called by Dispatch?” Akin: “I don’t remember . . . he may, or may have been not.”

In Session Greenberg: “The Court was very specific regarding statements from people about whether Kathleen Savio was afraid…that was the ruling. So I don’t just make this motion based on what they’ve already done; I make it based on what they say they’re going to do also. If you let this trial go on, it’s going to be an unfair trial.”

Still catching up. Reading this, it sounds as if Greenberg is whining nothing is admissable. :censored: .

In Session The witness repeats that he was not on call the night of the event in question. “It’s unusual for me to get a call to my personal cell phone that I need to go do lock work. The request was through Dispatch, but that’s all fuzzy…all I know is that Sgt. Peterson requested a wellness check…it would have gone through my associate, who had the phones that evening. Instead, I got the phone call.” Defense: “And that was because Sgt. Peterson specifically requested your presence?” Objection/Overruled. Akin: “I would assume he wanted me there instead of Chris [Wolzen].” He admits he’s not “100% positive” that the call came through Dispatch, but is pretty sure.

In Session When he arrived, Sgt. Peterson told him “there was a wellness check that needed to be done…that was it, no specifics.”
about a minute ago

Peterson wanted this particular lock smith, not the person on duty that night.
Peterson was leaning on railing when Aiken came.
InSession

It would crack me up if the jury found him guilty because of one stupid, arrogant and sloppy decision like that.

You know what though? That often happens. Killers are rarely perfect in everything. Someone makes a mistake somewhere along the line. Something on their computer, or some little thing at the scene...it's always the little things that add up or nail 'em in the end. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18