Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Session Defense attorney Joseph Lopez resumes his cross-examination of witness Thomas Pontarelli. Defense: “When you were speaking to police that evening, you didn’t mention that Drew was on the phone and said that people would think he did it?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember.” The witness is then shown a copy of the police report in question (which he reads silently to himself). Defense: “You didn’t see any of those things in there?” Pontarelli: “Correct.”

In Session Defense: “On November 27, 2007, you didn’t mention about the towel, the bath mat, or any soap scum that day?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember, but it’s hard to believe that I didn’t.” Defense: “Would you like to see a police report from that day?” Pontarelli: “Sure.” Once again, Mr. Pontarelli is handed a police report pertaining to the interview in question, which he starts reading silently. But to save time, both sides stipulate that the information at issue is indeed not mentioned in this particular police report.

Poor 14 year old.......an officer DP should NEVER of allowed a child in a possible dangerous situation! JMOO

In Session The witness identifies a photograph of a lock, says that he installed it. Defense: “That’s from the inside of the master bedroom?” Pontarelli: “Right.” Defense: “You didn’t make those marks on the door?” Pontarelli: “I did not.” Defense: “What was in that hole before?” Pontarelli: “Nothing, it was a solid door.” Defense: “You don’t know when that hole was made?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember.” Defense: “You don’t know who made it, or when it was made?” Pontarelli: “Right.” Defense: “All you know is you didn’t make that hole?” PontarellI: “Correct.”

In Session In another photo, the witness is asked to point out a cat. “That was Kathy’s cat?” “I don’t know.”

In Session The witness is shown still another photograph. Defense: “Did you know that your son, Nick, took that photograph?” Pontarelli: “I have heard that.” The witness acknowledges that he’s met with police “a couple of times” prior to his testimony.

In Session Defense: “In Mr. Carcerano’s basement, they didn’t ask you anything about that hole [in Savio’s bedroom door]?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “Is this the first time you’ve been asked about the hole?” Pontarelli: “Other than the hearsay trial, yes.” Defense: “Did any investigators ever come to your house and ask you about that hole?” Pontarelli: “I can’t remember.”

In Session In October, 2008, the witness was apparently questioned by an investigator about “the installation of a deadbolt on the bedroom door.” Pontarelli: “I do not remember.” Defense: “Remember you telling her that you were asked to install a deadbolt lock on the bedroom?” Pontarelli: “No.” Defense: “When was the first time you saw that photograph of the door, with the hole?” Pontarelli: “I don’t remember.” Defense: “Was it two or three years after she was discovered in the bathtub?” Pontarelli: “No…when did I discover the hole was there? That was prior to her passing, so it had to be 2003.” Defense: “So before you entered in 2004, that hole had to have been there before?’ Pontarelli: “Oh, yes, that hole was there already…it was [there] before, yes.”

In Session There are no more questions on cross-examination. So, after a pause, Kathy Patton begins her redirect. Prosecution: “It’s very nerve-racking to be here, isn’t it?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “That’s the reason you don’t want to be here?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “You have been willing to come and testify in this case, haven’t you?” Pontarelli: “Yes.”

In Session The witness repeats that he and Drew Peterson generally got along. Prosecution: “But there was a time, wasn’t there, when you were questioned by the defendant about changing the locks that you felt he was intimidating you?” Objection sustained. Defense: “Did there come a time when you felt intimidated by him?” Pontarelli: “Yes…we had a conversation; he accused me of changing the locks on the front door. I says I didn’t, but I got his message…I found a .38 bullet out on the driveway.” Attorney Greenberg objects, and the judge asks the jurors and witness to leave the courtroom.

Listening to talking heads on IS type shows is really a crapshoot. Of course they do a spin! It's all about keeping viewers and ratings. I learned they get more things incorrect than correct. Those of you watching IS or HLN have my sympathy.

The only way to get an accurate sense of the case is either watching it live/streaming or reading the court transcript. A distant second is following a live blog from the courtroom. But even then the info is filtered and it may not convey everything accurately.

Talking heads would be a distant third. Way down the list, IMO.

In Session The witness/jurors are now gone. Attorney Greenberg says this is a prior bad act that is not admissible in trial. Judge Burmila to prosecutor: “Are you going to be able to prove that the defendant left that bullet in that driveway?” Patton: “No.” “What is the purpose of trying to let this jury think this defendant put a bullet in this driveway to send a message to this witness? Why would you do that?” Greenberg: “Judge, I think we’re going to have to ask for a mistrial.” Judge: “All right, we’ll take a break so you can discuss this.” The judge leave the bench.

In Session There are no more questions on cross-examination. So, after a pause, Kathy Patton begins her redirect. Prosecution: “It’s very nerve-racking to be here, isn’t it?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “That’s the reason you don’t want to be here?” Pontarelli: “Yes.” Prosecution: “You have been willing to come and testify in this case, haven’t you?” Pontarelli: “Yes.”

In Session The witness repeats that he and Drew Peterson generally got along. Prosecution: “But there was a time, wasn’t there, when you were questioned by the defendant about changing the locks that you felt he was intimidating you?” Objection sustained. Defense: “Did there come a time when you felt intimidated by him?” Pontarelli: “Yes…we had a conversation; he accused me of changing the locks on the front door. I says I didn’t, but I got his message…I found a .38 bullet out on the driveway.” Attorney Greenberg objects, and the judge asks the jurors and witness to leave the courtroom.

Wow.

Now, (as N/T knows) we live out in the country and my husband has tons of guns and hunts every single day during hunting season, so it wouldn't be unusual to find an unspent bullet or shell in the drive way, but, I assume in a neighborhood such as DP's, that would be highly unusual.

OMG! Witness blurted out about the bellet on his driveway. Will the defense ask for a mistrial?

IS just said that DP was stunned after the witness said that about the bullet in his driveway.

oh no a mistrial request! and where will that leave things? another trial and another jury?
as long as DP stays in JAIL!

If the defense is asking for a mistrial at THIS point, that tells me they are NOT confident about their case, the judge, the jury, or any of it.

A witness mentioning a bullet outside on a driveway is easily impeached upon x-exam by the defense.

Courtroom tactics often resemble a poker game. Lots of bluffing. The defense just tipped their hand--this is the 2nd time in 2 days they have brought up the word mistrial.

Where there's smoke...

We need to ask ourselves, why does the defense want this particular trial to end right now?

Where did the Judge go? WTH? The defence asks for a mistrial and he leaves the bench? :what:

ok if mistrial do they get new pros? and can the mistakes by pros be fixed next time?
Could this be good for pros?

Jean C. on IS said DP "turned white as a ghost" after the bullet statement.

IS just said that DP was stunned after the witness said that about the bullet in his driveway.

Drew turned white as a ghost.....:what: GOOD :moo:

(if there is a mistrial does he go back to jail)

Even if a mistrial isn't declared this time I just don't see it not happening down the road. So much testimony is being smothered and for someone not to blurt something out seems close to impossible.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member