Drew Peterson's Trial *THIRD WEEK*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Session The witness is shown “my 11 page report on the death of Kathleen Savio, which I authored in February, 2008.” “And there are no additions or deletions?” “That appears to have all the pages and paragraphs as I wrote them.” The prosecution then asks to move the witness’ protocol into evidence, but the defense objects. The parties approach for a sidebar.

In Session The sidebar ends. The judge asks to have the jurors and witness excused from the courtroom. There is then a long pause, during which the judge remains on the bench, and it appears each side is conferring with the members of its team.

In Session The judge has finished reading a document, and Brodsky now addresses the Court. “Dr. Mitchell’s report, as we talked about a couple of days ago, the original protocol can come in. But we can’t call Dr. Mitchell to cross-examine him. [But] Dr. Blum’s second opinion, so to speak . . . there’s no reason that his written opinion should come into evidence and go back with the jury, and ours won’t . . . the State’s asking for an unfair advantage . . . his report should not be admitted into evidence, and should not go back with the jury . . . he’s got his opinion before the jury; they don’t need the report.” Glasgow: “We’re asking to move this into evidence because the statute allows it . . . we’re asking that the report be admitted.” Judge: “Well, what about all of the things in here that he hasn’t testified about? It’s replete with information. What is the relevance that she had two children, or that she has a rosary in her hands when he first saw the body?” Glasgow: “I guess we could redact that . . . we’ll present a redacted copy to Your Honor.” Judge: “If the State isn’t going to ask that it go back to the jury, the defendant’s objection is overruled . . . but whether this would be substantive evidence that would ever go back to the jury, that’s a different issue altogether . . . that extraneous information must be removed.”

In Session Before the jurors and witness can come back to the courtroom, the defense asks for a moment. Judge: “They need a moment. We’ll let them have their moment.”

Kathy had a rosary in her hands?

ETA - I understand now as this is when Dr. Blum first saw Kathy not when she was actually found in the tub.

Thank you. Not very helpful in a homicide case though. Don't they expect the ME to give them a more accurate TOD than the time the body is found?

The longer it's been the less accurate they can be.It becomes more generalized .JMO

I would imagine that it was placed there for her funeral.

But it sounds more like when they found the body in the tub, is where they saw she had a rosary in her hands.

Why would they have the discussion in the report about the rosary, if it was at her funeral?

ETA: I agree with the rosary in her hands as this is Dr. Blum stating when he first saw the body. :blushing:

her dead body was found with a rosary in her hands?
This is news to me and very confusing.
If he is referring to when he exhumed the body, then yes, it would likely have had a rosary in her hands when they buried her.

I would imagine that it was placed there for her funeral.

That's what i want to know too. With a drowning water in the lungs is key. I see nothing about that. That's basic 101. If she was unconscious it would account to no water in the lungs. We know there were no drugs/alcohol in her system that would attribute to passing out and slipping under the water. Based on todays testimony it appears she was placed in a dry tub. Speaking to the blood in the tub.

Why would being unconscious account for no fluid in the lungs? What am I missing ?

In Session The defense has now had its “moment.” The judge sends for the witness and the jury.

In Session Despite the fact that the judge just sent for the jury, he has now left the bench. The jurors have apparently been put on hold for a minute.

But it sounds more like when they found the body in the tub, is where they saw she had a rosary in her hands.

Why would they have the discussion in the report about the rosary, if it was at her funeral?

The body was still in the casket when it was brought in for the 2nd autopsy . He never saw her in the tub or before she was buried.

In Session The sidebar ends. The witness says that Dr. Mitchell’s autopsy protocol did not contain a manner of death. He then describes what happens when someone drowns. “If the patient if conscious, there will be a voluntary breath holding . . . then the body will force them to take a breath. That causes the throat to spasm up and close off, because of the water hitting the back of the throat. That spasm will close off the airway until there’s not enough oxygen in the blood to maintain that reflex. The patient at this time is generally unconscious . . . and then the throat relaxes, a breath is taken, and water rushes into the lungs . . . it goes into the bloodstream, and causes problems. Unless that person has gotten out of the water within three or four minutes, the brain has been without oxygen for too long.” According to Dr. Blum, very few people can survive for more than five minutes under these circumstances. In Savio’s case, 2000 grams of water were found in her lungs, which is a very large amount.
FYI for those who were wondering.

In Session I have just been informed by In Session’s audio engineer inside the courtroom, that the defense needs to set up some sort of equipment that it will be using during Dr. Blum’s cross-examination. That’s apparently the reason for this unexpected delay. This is expected to take ten minutes or so.

OK, I really don't get why the 2007 autopsy report is allowed to be admitted into evidence, but the jury can't look at it. What, what?

report. This sounds like the defense did their homework. :maddening:

In Session I have just been informed by In Session’s audio engineer inside the courtroom, that the defense needs to set up some sort of equipment that it will be using during Dr. Blum’s cross-examination. That’s apparently the reason for this unexpected delay. This is expected to take ten minutes or so.

I read it countless times, and never saw that. :waitasec:

Same here.

BTW, I had to look it up to see how many milliliters were equal to one gram. Because ml is a measure of liquid, and grams is a measure of mass. Anyway
according to what I looked up, 1ml=1gram. So 2000 ml of water in her lungs? That IS an extraordinary amount, IMO.

So for a point a reference, I used a regular 20 fl oz bottle of Glaceau vitamin water (sorry, its all I had). That contains 591ml (or cc's) (ml and cc are the same) of liquid. So about 4 of those bottles equals 2000ml. Actually it's about 40cc/ml more than 2000 ml. OR a little less than 5 pints. That's a pretty good amount of water.

JMO

One of the strongest things that convinces me that DrewP was involved in her death was how she was found. When she wasn't available to get the boys, DrewP didn't contact family in search of her. To me, you would do that before you jump to the conclusion of something wrong in the home. And DrewP arranged for witnesses (not family) to be present when she was found. I really really hope that the prosecution points that out.

If DrewP had contacted family in search of her, the family are the ones who would have most likely found her. And DrewP wouldn't have an excuse to be present and controlling the scene.

Respectfully shortened.

Excellent points I hadn't considered! Especially regarding not contacting Kathleen's family and controlling the scene. I think it is spot on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah