Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the CDC sends one of it's workers back to the US after she had exposure to someone with Ebola, but did not place her in quarantine. The reason given is because at this time she is well and does not pose a risk to anyone. Here's a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/27/cdc-worker-exposed-to-ebola-paitent/14717427/

But, here is a case where exposure (and subsequent infection) possibly came from a baby whose mother died from Ebola. The baby was initially asymptomatic and initial test came back negative.The healthcare workers used protection until the negative testing. Thinking the baby was not infected, nurses then cared for the baby without protection. The baby then developed symptoms and a subsequent test came back positive. Two nurses are now infected and the baby died.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/1...-infected-Briton-with-deadly-Ebola-virus.html

Why would the CDC not err on the side of caution and have this worker quarantined?? Didn't Nancy Writebol's husband, along with several other Samaritan's Purse workers, stay in quarantine in an RV camp until the incubation period is over? The conflicting information and conflicting protocols don't engender confidence.

This frightens me. All exposed workers should be quarantined. WTH?????

So, the CDC sends one of it's workers back to the US after she had exposure to someone with Ebola, but did not place her in quarantine. The reason given is because at this time she is well and does not pose a risk to anyone. Here's a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/27/cdc-worker-exposed-to-ebola-paitent/14717427/

But, here is a case where exposure (and subsequent infection) possibly came from a baby whose mother died from Ebola. The baby was initially asymptomatic and initial test came back negative.The healthcare workers used protection until the negative testing. Thinking the baby was not infected, nurses then cared for the baby without protection. The baby then developed symptoms and a subsequent test came back positive. Two nurses are now infected and the baby died.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/1...-infected-Briton-with-deadly-Ebola-virus.html

Why would the CDC not err on the side of caution and have this worker quarantined?? Didn't Nancy Writebol's husband, along with several other Samaritan's Purse workers, stay in quarantine in an RV camp until the incubation period is over? The conflicting information and conflicting protocols don't engender confidence.

I agree. They seem to be very cavalier about this whole thing. It's going to be a nightmare if Ebola gets lose in the US. When Mr. Patrick Sawyer flew to Nigeria, he managed to infect a bunch of people. One person can infect a lot of people and start the epidemic. So it seems very foolish to not quarantine someone exposed to the virus.

I agree. They seem to be very cavalier about this whole thing. It's going to be a nightmare if Ebola gets lose in the US. When Mr. Patrick Sawyer flew to Nigeria, he managed to infect a bunch of people. One person can infect a lot of people and start the epidemic. So it seems very foolish to not quarantine someone exposed to the virus.

He certainly did:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28966258

Ebola spread to oil hub Port Harcourt in Nigeria

Ebola was taken to Nigeria by Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian-American man who travelled to Lagos before dying.

One of his contacts evaded Nigeria's surveillance team and travelled to Port Harcourt, where he sought medical treatment, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said.

Although the man later recovered, the doctor who treated him died and tests showed he had Ebola, the minister said.

The doctor had died last Friday but the results of the tests have only just been announced by the health minister.

The doctor who treated Mr Sawyer also died.

Now they are trying to find all the people who came into contact with the now deceased doctor in Port Harcourt.

Really scary.

Ebola Is Rapidly Mutating As It Spreads Across West Africa
While moving through the human population in West Africa, she says, the virus has been collecting mutations about twice as quickly as did while circulating in animals for the last decade or so.
"The more time you give a virus to mutate and the more human-to-human transmission you see," she says, "the more opportunities you give it to fall upon some [mutation] that could make it more easily transmissible or more pathogenic."

http://kuaf.com/post/ebola-rapidly-mutating-it-spreads-across-west-africa

Now six of the co-authors of this study have died from ebola.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/08/ebolas-heavy-toll-study-authors

I have a few questions, if there is a nurse/doctor/well read poster that can help me to understand, I'd appreciate it. TIA
1. If a health care worker is wearing protective gear and screening patients, do they, or should they change gear between each patient? What if the person they screen has a fever but they aren't sure if it is ebola? Is it possible to transfer the virus to the next patient if they don't change gear?
2. If you are quarantined, shouldn't you be quarantined by yourself instead of with a group of other potential cases?
3. Is a person not contagious until they start having symptoms? So basically, if they start to have a fever anyone immediately surrounding them has the potential to become infected if they come in contact with any body fluids? What about sweat left on a door handle or clothes?
4. How long is ebola a risk when off of a person? One minute, 20 minutes, not at all?

Im trying to figure this out, because the current plan of 'go about your business until you start to experience symptoms' seems completely idiotic. Jmo

I have a few questions, if there is a nurse/doctor/well read poster that can help me to understand, I'd appreciate it. TIA
1. If a health care worker is wearing protective gear and screening patients, do they, or should they change gear between each patient? What if the person they screen has a fever but they aren't sure if it is ebola? Is it possible to transfer the virus to the next patient if they don't change gear?
2. If you are quarantined, shouldn't you be quarantined by yourself instead of with a group of other potential cases?
3. Is a person not contagious until they start having symptoms? So basically, if they start to have a fever anyone immediately surrounding them has the potential to become infected if they come in contact with any body fluids? What about sweat left on a door handle or clothes?
4. How long is ebola a risk when off of a person? One minute, 20 minutes, not at all?

Im trying to figure this out, because the current plan of 'go about your business until you start to experience symptoms' seems completely idiotic. Jmo

I am pretty sure they should change between patients. For instance, when they flew two Americans back to US, they flew them separately and not in the same "pod." But I don't believe they do in Africa (not enough resources).
Obviously quarantining by yourself would be best, considering some patients might develop Ebola and some won't. So if you quarantine them together, they might infect the ones that didn't have Ebola to begin with.
As for how long the virus can survive outside the host, apparently there is contradictory studies on that.
Interestingly, men's semen can be infections weeks after recovery (but that obviously is kept inside the host). Considering they let the married male doctor out of the hospital, I hope they warned him about that (so he doesn't infect his wife).

"SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting. "

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

More the 500 new cases were recorded this week, far outpacing the 400 cases from the week before, WHO announced Friday.

You just brought this up a few days ago lyra00. It was a student who brought ebola to Senegal.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2014/08/29/senegal-confirms-its-1st-case-of-ebola

Yes I did Yoda - and this event from Senegal perfectly illustrates why I am viewing the next couple of months with dread.

For reasons I cannot fathom, time and again people seem to totally ignore all of the public health messages, all of the government announcements and exhortations and just behave in a crazy fashion.

This student WAS in contact with Ebola (knowingly from the sound of it) but instead of staying put under medical care where he was, chose to travel to another country and not seek medical aid for a day. So now there is a chance that the poor doctor he consulted will follow the same sad path as the two doctors in Nigeria who ended up dying purely for providing care to a patient who neglected to tell them they had been in contact with Ebola, thus denying them the knowledge to enable them to protect themselves.

This is from a BBC website article on the subject:

The Guinean student sought treatment at a hospital in Senegal's capital Dakar on Tuesday, but did not tell staff he had had contact with Ebola patients in his own country.

On Wednesday, the Guinean health services reported "the disappearance of a person infected with Ebola who reportedly travelled to Senegal," according to Senegal's health minister.

She said the missing person was quickly identified as the Guinean student and he was immediately quarantined.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28983554

I read an article saying that a number of US universities were planning to screen students from the relevant countries on arrival. This is OK if they coincidentally start to show symptoms at that point, but theoretically they could have up to 19 or 20 more days to develop symptoms.

I worry that we in the west are being too complacent - I would be wanting to send over as much protective equipment and expertise as possible to try and get control of this outbreak before the virus mutates to become more easily transmissible, because when that happens we could be in a scenario quite as terrifying as any Stephen King novel. I find it appalling that medical staff are having to make their own PPE by cutting holes in plastic sheeting because there are not enough hoods. In some areas they do not even have gloves - how on earth can we expect the spread to stop under those conditions?

The WHO is asking for increased support as part of their plan, but I do wonder whether we should be looking at getting medieval/following the African traditional way of dealing with haemorrhagic fevers in addition to the WHO plan. The only effective way to stop an outbreak at the moment is isolation of cases.

Whilst I can sort of see that stopping people crossing land borders could be very difficult, I do wonder whether we should just say "To hell with the effect on business, we are going to ban all international and intercontinental air travel to and from West Africa (apart from humanitarian flights) for a period of two months at which point we will review numbers of cases and deaths and decide whether to continue the ban or resume commercial air travel". Otherwise I am not sure we can reasonably expect to halt the spread - and once a handful of infected but non symptomatic young people make it out to assorted universities around the world, the horse may well have bolted, depending on exactly how the virus has mutated by then.

We absolutely have to do both though - isolation plus hugely increased manpower and equipment into West Africa - we cannot just close the borders and leave the people in the affected countries to live or die - because the virus will continue to mutate and we need to stop that process before it mutates into a form which can be passed on more easily.

I wonder whether we will look back in a few months and really, really regret the fact that we let profit and business considerations be prioritised ahead of public health.

The most frighting thing about the current ebola crisis ,is that they really do not know when it started.

They said they have located the first case ,and it was a 2 year old who died in December 2013 from New guinea, however in July of 2012 there was a Uganda outbreak.
They do not know how the 2 year old contracted Ebola , so he might not be the first case. It has the 9 months since that case .

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12758/20140811/ebola-outbreak-started-with-2-year-old-boy-fom-guinea.htm

On a positive note, zmapp cured 100% of the monkeys it was tested on. And even writing about testing on monkeys makes me feel bad. :(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/29/ebola-zmapp-success-monkeys/14793487/

They gave it to six people. Two died and four survived. Survival rate is said to be around 50 % without ZMAPP.
So it's not even clear whether it's actually works in people (they need a lot more patients to test it on to see if survival rate is acutely different).
Even if it does work, giving it to those six people exhausted the current supply and apparently it will take months to make more.
Also, I am sure it's going to be extremely expensive.

I don't understand why we are not throwing money and resources at this problem as we would a natural disaster. The international community can't send massive loads of medical supplies, quarantine tents, etc? The US can't send $20 million in gloves and protective gear (just tossing out a random number)? Countries can't use this as a bioterrorism response exercise?

I do not understand the seemingly tepid response. As far as I can tell more money has been/is being spent looking for the MH370. Not that we shouldn't look for it, but the perspective seems skewed here.

I also don't understand why there is not a huge effort to get grassroots community support. Go to the community leaders, at the neighborhood level, and enlist help educating people. It can be done. It has been done with HIV and condom use with some success.

The most frighting thing about the current ebola crisis ,is that they really do not know when it started.

They said they have located the first case ,and it was a 2 year old who died in December 2013 from New guinea, however in July of 2012 there was a Uganda outbreak.
They do not know how the 2 year old contracted Ebola , so he might not be the first case. It has the 9 months since that case .

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12758/20140811/ebola-outbreak-started-with-2-year-old-boy-fom-guinea.htm

I think that the geography probably makes it unlikely that the Ugandan outbreak was a precursor to the identified first case in Guinea. I am not sure we can invariably expect to identify the way in which an index case contracted the disease - particularly several months after they died. It seems perfectly possible that he was outside and touched some dead creature which was a carrier. Youngsters are forever putting their fingers in their mouth etc. so picking up the virus wold be relatively easy. The article also mentions the possibility of the child being injected with a dirty needle - of course that would need another host to have infected the needle in the first place.

The recent outbreak in DR Congo has been connected to a pregnant woman butchering a carcass which her husband had killed and brought home to her. Tragically, she, her baby and several hospital workers have all died.

They have certainly tracked the spread from this index case in Guinea very well. Unfortunately a lot of the early spread can be traced to a local healer who claimed to be able to cure the mystery illness which was affecting people. I don't think the outbreak was actually identified as Ebola until March simply because they have never had Ebola in that part of Africa and did not recognise what they were dealing with.

It will be interesting to see how well the British nurse fares now that he is in the UK receiving supportive therapy. Interesting sounds really cold, as if he is just some experimental organism, it isn't meant that way, but this man has received no 'wonder drug' so this is an ideal opportunity to see whether early and intensive support can help him pull through. From the sounds of it he is still relatively 'well' which would indicate that they have diagnosed him early which is good as they can start to provide supportive therapy right away before his immune system is overwhelmed.

Of course in Africa some of the patients do recover as well - if only we understood what the difference was between those that recover and those that do not (is it simply that the ones who present early enough have enough time to mount an immune system response whilst being given supportive therapy or are there other distinguishing factors?)

Anyway, I was rather dismayed to read some of the negative comments in the UK about bringing this man home. Anyone would think they were planning to dump him in the middle of Oxford Street to puke all over passers-by the way some people are getting hysterical over the issue.

There were (and continue to be) comments here in websleuths they were just like that when the united states citizens came to Emory :(

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member