Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously need to get this under control. It's only a matter of time before it goes airborne...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:twocents: I'm glad we, the US, are finally doing something. It's long overdue. I hated seeing international workers that were infected flown out for better care while hundreds suffered and died. I understand why, and I know I would do the same thing if I had to make the decision, but it still feels wrong.

I don't like that the military members will not have a choice of going. I wish it could be voluntary. I hope they know how much they are valued, at home, and across the world.

I have read hundreds of articles and seen hundreds of photos in the past few months on the ebola outbreak. This virus is brutal and heartless and devastating.

This photo. I wish it had never got to this point. JMHO

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/world/africa/ebola-liberia.html?_r=1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 146
Please pray for my family who currently live in New Orleans. If you don't pray, send thoughts of goodness their way. I am terrified. Five crewmembers from aboard "Marine Phoenix" have been taken to the hospital. One CM got off in the Bahamas with malaria. The ship is in the Mississippi River docked at Belle Chase.

"Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s communications director, Garnesha Crawford said the city is working close with officials at the CDC. The city has also asked state and federal agencies for help in case of a “worst-case scenario.”

http://wgno.com/2014/09/17/ship-with-sick-crewmen-to-dock-in-new-orleans-tonight/

We've been told the ship is arriving from the Congo with a shipmate ill with malaria. However, I do not see Africa as a port of call for the Marine Phoenix. I must be overlooking something.

http://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/MARINE-PHOENIX-IMO-9072824-MMSI-636013523

"The Marine Phoenix arrived at Belle Chasse around 3 p.m. Wednesday. It came from western Africa, where countries there are dealing with a historic Ebola outbreak. snip The entire ship is under quarantine until health officials pinpoint exactly what is going on."

Exclusive video from aboard the ship:

http://wgno.com/2014/09/17/exclusive-video-of-the-ship-that-carried-passengers-with-malaria/

I think I'm going to be ill. Very ill. This insanity must stop. JMO :scared: :scared: :scared:

Agreed, malaria isn't contagious. But, I wouldn't want to be in a tin bucket with hundreds of other people and a swarm of Anopheles mosquitoes, with one guy having malaria. ;)

Respectfully, the military has many doctors, nurses, technicians, etc. The military has the capabilities to set up what is known as *MASH* units and they can be more of a "well oiled machine" in the way that they operate. Their organizational capabilities can be much more than separate NGOs imho. I am glad that they are going to be dispatched in a humanitarian effort, which in the end, could be protecting the US citizens more by helping to curtail the spread. :moo:

If President Obama is serious about stopping the spread of Ebola, then he needs to start by sealing our borders and prevent people from simply walking across into our country. My son's friend was diagnosed with leishmaniasis, an intercellular protozoan parasite caused disease found in foreign countries. The woman, an American citizen, had not been outside the U.S. The only cases I was able to find in our area were in illegal immigrants, who abound here, treated at a local hospital. The Department of Health does not track this disease, to the surprise of a DoH manager, nor many other foreign diseases that typically are not found here. Why aren't these foreign diseases being tracked? Even the DoH manager did not know. Could it possibly be because the general public would become alarmed at the invasion of diseases? Environmentalists get up in arms over invasive species. Where's the outrage over these invaders, humans transporting microscopic species? Heaven forbid, if someone might make an association between the foreign diseases and illegal aliens! Could anyone, other than a racist, find that correlation?

Any border patrol agent can tell you that the people crossing illegally aren't only from Mexico. Many countries are represented. Some illegals are Middle Eastern Muslims, others Africans. Does anyone really believe Ebola can't walk across our southern border the same way leishmaniasis did? How long until a jihadist decides to deliberately infect himself and bring it here? In October, 2014, Hajj will draw thousands of muslims to Mecca from Africa. The Middle East is ripe for the next major outbreak. Are we then expected to send troops there?

Anyone who believes we have a low chance of an epidemic happening here needs to rethink their beliefs. If you lived in Africa, knew you had been exposed to the disease, could afford to go to the United States, and knew the medical care in the United States surpassed all others, wouldn't you tell a lie to jump on a plane and get here before you became symptomatic?

And, this nonsense of people not being contagious until they are symptomatic... really? What about ten minutes before they are symptomatic? How safe would you feel knowing you kissed someone just before they became symptomatic? What about twenty minutes? An hour? A day? Why not tell people the truth? The truth is that a person who has contracted the virus can theoretically pass the virus given the right set of circumstances. The chance of passing the virus corresponds to the virus load and increases as the person approaches having symptoms. When a person is symptomatic, they are highly contagious, shedding the virus in all bodily fluids.

Regarding sending 3000 troops to Africa. That is NOT the mission of the military. The military is supposed to be for combat and defense. Humanitarian efforts are usually limited to areas of active conflict. So far, I haven't heard about volunteers. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) We are now going to send thousands of our people to areas, some of which have been safe harbors for terrorists who attacked us, because they are sick? What I find extremely irritating is that these countries had money to build hospitals and emergency health centers. But far too often, the money is in the hands of the corrupt politicians. And now, we are going to give them more of our resources, when our own health care system is in financial shambles?

This is where basic morality stories come into play. Do you recall the story of the grasshopper and the ant? The ant worked hard and had wealth. Shouldn't the "wealthy" U.S. come to the aid of foreign countries? The U.S. government donates around $50 Billion dollars every year to foreign countries. Add to that another $71 Billion+ from private donations. Some of the leaders and politicians (grasshoppers) of the third world countries lined their personal pockets, instead of building hospitals, clinics, and schools for their people. Now, in a crisis, we, the United States, are expected to bail them out? Don't get me wrong, I have compassion for the citizens in the affected countries. The photo of the little girl splayed out on the sidewalk, with nobody comforting her, is saddening and disturbing. Chances are she will die. She is a child of the grasshopper. At what point do the governments of these countries start to take responsibility for their decisions?

There are many aide organizations who willingly put themselves in danger. We are better off giving certain private organizations the resources to teach the people in the affected areas what needs to be done. The people that go must be volunteers. Our military people did not sign up to be sacrificial lambs at the altar of political humanitarianism or public opinion.

We should not let this humanitarian crisis be used for political gain. IMO, sending in our military people is not the thing to do. If they insist on doing so, everyone that goes should be a volunteer. This is just my opinion.

Agreed, malaria isn't contagious. But, I wouldn't want to be in a tin bucket with hundreds of other people and a swarm of Anopheles mosquitoes, with one guy having malaria. ;)

Naw, doesn't happen like that fwiw. BTW... Worldwide, 300-500 million people are infected with malaria each year. Most cases occur in sub-Saharan Africa, with approximately 2 million people dying there each year. http://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/malaria/ IMHO the reason that that subject of malaria on a ship was even posted here, was that many Ebola cases in the news were initially misdiagnosed as malaria.

Three doctors and three journalists went missing on Tuesday after residents in the village of Wamey pelted them with stones as they visited the village.

One of the journalists managed to escape and told reporters that she could hear the villagers looking for them while she was hiding.

Reports say a Guinean delegation to find them, led by the health minister, has been unable to reach the village after a nearby bridge was destroyed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29256443

I presume the Health Team was kidnapped (or whatever else was done to it? Killed?) because some of the population doesn't believe that Ebola is real, or thinks that the Western world is somehow responsible for it.
If they destroyed the bridge they isolated themselves so at least it won't be spreading to more places.

The vessel has been cleared and is heading to New Orleans to unload cargo.
A person on board the ship bound for New Orleans was listed as critically ill in a Jefferson Parish hospital after being diagnosed with malaria. Several other sailors on board will also be treated after showing signs of the disease.

Another crew member aboard the freighter died from malaria after getting off the ship in the Bahamas earlier in the week.

http://m.wdsu.com/news/ship-from-af...er-sick-crew-removed-in-belle-chasse/28123188

I presume the Health Team was kidnapped (or whatever else was done to it? Killed?) because some of the population doesn't believe that Ebola is real, or thinks that the Western world is somehow responsible for it.
If they destroyed the bridge they isolated themselves so at least it won't be spreading to more places.
It would be awful if those who were kidnapped wind up catching the Ebola virus while hidden. Who knows who they will be exposed to. :(

It doesn't help that people in the affected areas are fearful of the doctors, drugs and isolation requirements needed to combat the disease. The leaders of the affected countries need to step it up with education among other remedies imo. Could take a year or more given what happened with HIV in its infancy.

HIV was easy to fix, basically don't "f" without a condom, that one single thing would keep the vast majority of the population safe yet that apparently was near impossible for the population.

Ebola is spread by sweat, blood, saliva, etc...That goes way way beyond the protocol for hiv, that means don't brush against sweaty folks on the street, don't eat out of community dishes, don't have sex with strangers, don't be part of the mob that breaks into Ebola quarantine facilities to "liberate" all of the patients by dragging them into the streets.

Forget about educating the populace, it simply won't work. They believe far more in magic than pathogens.

where in the article was "a swarm of anopheles mosquitoes" mentioned?

google life cycle for an adult mosquito ;)

RUMOR- according to locals, they have been killed

"Last month, riots erupted in the area of Guinea where the health workers went missing - near where the outbreak was first recorded - following rumours that medics were contaminating people when they started spraying a market to disinfect it." BBM

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/

This explains why Obama is sending 3000 troops to Africa. Who could have foreseen that the citizens there might actually have to be forced to accept medical help. But the doctors and health workers shouldn't have to further risk their lives because of ignorance. If the virus isn't contained, I hate to even contemplate what could happen world-wide.

:twocents: I'm glad we, the US, are finally doing something. It's long overdue. I hated seeing international workers that were infected flown out for better care while hundreds suffered and died. I understand why, and I know I would do the same thing if I had to make the decision, but it still feels wrong.

I don't like that the military members will not have a choice of going. I wish it could be voluntary. I hope they know how much they are valued, at home, and across the world.

I have read hundreds of articles and seen hundreds of photos in the past few months on the ebola outbreak. This virus is brutal and heartless and devastating.

This photo. I wish it had never got to this point. JMHO

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/world/africa/ebola-liberia.html?_r=1

The child is infectious & has infected anyone that touched her, every place she vomited & had diahrrea is infected, as is her home. Who knows everything she touched or where she has been? It looks like an insurmountable problem because the local population won't cooperate. IMO, we'll see many millions die. How else could it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro