Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Switzerland would have been my choice if I were an immigrant looking for treatment..and housing. I know US is one of the highest cost for medical treatment, but that only applies to US citizens apparently others can get it free.

Yes but Switzerland is NOT part of the European Union and they do enforce border control.

Yes but Switzerland is NOT part of the European Union and they do enforce border control.

Switzerland is not part of the EU, but they are part of the Schengen Agreement. That agreement requires free passage across borders without passport controls between member states.

Exactly. Deputy did what he was told to do. Now what they told him to do doesn't necessarily make sense. If they are going to tell contacts of Ebola victims to go to their doctors or emergency rooms, they could easily spread it around.

The thing is, we don't even know if that is even true. I'm disgusted with the way the news is being reported. The wife is telling her version of events, and it was reported that she was with him when he arrived at the urgent care center. Turns out, NO, she was out of town on a business trip. She made a statement that he had a "high fever." The patient's son was interviewed in Dallas the day all this happened and he stated that his Dad had NO fever, just some vague symptoms. Hospital states he did not have fever, according to various news reports. Who knows if anyone at the hospital ever stated such a thing.

So I'm done with coming to any conclusions right now, because each news report which comes out conflicts with the five others which are coming out at the same time, and which were all different yesterday. It's crazy.

Has it been stated by a credible source how long, after exposure, does it take to test positive for Ebola?

Has it been stated by a credible source the percentage of false negatives?

Have you heard exactly which healthcare facilities in the U.S., if any, are able to perform the Ebola test?

Do we know exactly how long the testing takes in a lab?

If this Ebola strain(s) continues to mutate, will "the test" continue to be accurate?

I was reading that one Senator is holding up the funds for the West African assistance. Everyone else voted in favor. He wants more information on how the funds will be spent he says.
http://www.navytimes.com/article/20...Inhofe-holds-up-Ebola-funding-demands-details

Hey chipmunk, just wanted to point out that, the following day, after that article you posted (dated 9/25), the funds were released (9/26) - well some of them at least...

"The final hurdle was the approval of Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, the senior Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, who protested that the Pentagon has provided virtually no details about the mission, which would send the military to Africa to help with the logistics of fighting the dangerous virus. Inhofe signed off on the request on Wednesday."

Link: http://www.navytimes.com/article/20140925/NEWS05/309250054

Suspected Ebola case hospitalised in Paris, reports

snipped
A woman suspected of having contracted the Ebola virus has been hospitalised in Paris, press reports said on Friday. The woman, who recently returned from a visit to Liberia, has been moved to an isolation ward in the northern Parisian hospital Bichat, according to Europe1 radio. On Thursday doctors changed the case's classification from suspected Ebola to probable. Blood test results were expected to confirm that it was Ebola.

The woman is not a healthworker, RMC radio reported, adding that she has just returned from a trip to Liberia.

http://www.english.rfi.fr/france/20141010-woman-hospitalised-ebola-paris

ETA: Rumor alert- woman is said to be American

BBM

Yes re the training of the people who have survived it: excellent idea........ if it's proven they are immune, which I gather it must be.

Yeah the immunity thing sounds sketchy to me, especially if they are exposed to new strains, but they could wear protection.

My first thought was get the survivors to donate plasma for the antibodies, problem with that is apparently plasma can transmit HIV, Hepatitis, etc.... and without labs to screen the plasma it would be too dangerous to use.

LOL....Fear Factor! Well he knows how to increase ratings!

But seriously being involved with popular shows does NOT mean he can't run a large news organization. Is he telling reporters what to write? Or telling the news crew what to SAY?

Or requiring them to check facts and verify credibility of "sources"?

The Associated Press @AP · 13m13 minutes ago

BREAKING: Records given to AP show Ebola patient was released from ER after registering 103-degree fever.

The Associated Press @AP · 10m10 minutes ago

MORE: Ebola patient arrived with 103-degree fever, told nurse he had been in Africa: http://apne.ws/1D18ae3

That's not really anything we didn't already know, was it?

You don't necessarily hospitalize a patient for a 103 fever. The problem was in either not taking the Africa residency seriously, not communicating that effectively to the proper personnel, or some other idiocy relating to the fact that he came from a "hot spot" country with symptoms strongly resembling those of ebola.

Switzerland would have been my choice if I were an immigrant looking for treatment..and housing. I know US is one of the highest cost for medical treatment, but that only applies to US citizens apparently others can get it free.

I don't think other people do get it free (or not usually and possibly not everyone). Whenever I have been on holiday to the US I have had it impressed upon me that I needed to go for beefed up travel insurance so that it would cover the astronomical healthcare costs should anything go wrong.

We also regularly get stories of people who have ended up in a real financial pickle because they got ill in the US and did not have insurance.

I don't think other people do get it free (or not usually and possibly not everyone). Whenever I have been on holiday to the US I have had it impressed upon me that I needed to go for beefed up travel insurance so that it would cover the astronomical healthcare costs should anything go wrong.

We also regularly get stories of people who have ended up in a real financial pickle because they got ill in the US and did not have insurance.

If doing things correctly yes you would get travellers insurance to ensure proper treatment etc.. You did things correctly but not everyone does. We had a foreign exchange student from Germany who also had travellers insurance.. But my daughters boyfriend from Costa Rica where they have national health care did not have travelers insurance so good thing he didn't get sick while here.

^^^If it's in the medical record, it's true. It still doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know, does it? His loved ones already had plenty of reason to be upset, so how does this change that?

FYI yesterday I posted about a 3m respirator that I wanted to buy on Amazon? Well today the price has gone up $22 (thank goodness I bought last night, got a new returned unit for only $74).

Apparently there is a demand and the prices will likely go higher (until they are out of stock). Medical grade 3M respirators AND cartridges can be both bought for $20 or less (as of today).

Just saying....don't wait until the last minute to have basic everyday stuff on hand.

An article about a UK doctor whose sister died in Sierra Leone - she was a doctor too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-29565687

A Walsall GP has spoken of his grief after his doctor sister died when she contracted the Ebola virus while treating patients in Sierra Leone.

Dr Olivet Buck, a 59-year-old mother of three, caught the disease on 8 September and was immediately put into isolation. She died six days later.

Dr Albert Benjamin said his sister was aware of the risks but felt it was her duty to carry on working.

These Dr's say you can test negative for ebola for three days after symptoms appear..

Sorry on phone having trouble copying link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member