Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not debating that these procedures are high risk. I am debating whether they can be considered thus non essential and to be avoided. That is the cdc guideline you are claiming exists yet appears nowhere in the actual cdc literature.

I think in contexts it pretty obvious these procedures are not considered essential. Especially considering CDC director said they are being investigated as a method of virus transmission and he is not aware that these procedures were used on any other Ebola patient.

I think in contexts it pretty obvious these procedures are not considered essential. Especially considering CDC director said they are being investigated as a method of virus transmission and he is not aware that these procedures were used on any other Ebola patient.

The others were not sick enough to require intubation or crrt.

I'd like to point out that to the best of my knowledge, no other Ebola positive patient in the US has progressed to the hemorrhagic phase other than Mr. Duncan, and apparently did not have severe respiratory distress at any point in their illness either.

I'd like to point out that to the best of my knowledge, no other Ebola positive patient in the US has progressed to the hemorrhagic phase other than Mr. Duncan, and apparently did not have severe respiratory distress at any point in their illness either.

Yes. So CDC is clearly concerned that ventilation and dialysis can spread the virus. I guess I am not understanding as to what procedures CDC director had in mind when he talked about limiting procedures to essential procedures only (if he didn't mean ventilator and dialysis)?
To me it's very clear what he meant.

Yes. So CDC is clearly concerned that ventilation and dialysis can spread the virus.

I'm not going to keep going round and round about this. Both RabidBadger and I have given our rationale and opinions based upon years of saving lives; OFTEN at risk to ourselves. I'm sure some other nurses could take up the cause for adequate oxygenation as well, but if a person hasn't seen lives saved by short term use of a ventilator, nothing that is said will change an opinion.
Thanks. :)

I'm not going to keep going round and round about this. Both RabidBadger and I have given different opinions based upon years of saving lives; OFTEN at risk to ourselves. I'm sure some other nurses could take up the cause for adequate oxygenation as well, but if you haven't seen lives saved by short term use of a ventilator, nothing that is said will change an opinion.
Thanks. :)

I think right now CDC is most concerned about stopping the spread of the virus.
Ventilation and dialysis are high risk procedures that could spread the virus. It would appear CDC does not want them done.
The updated guidelines cdc come up with are all about preventing the spread. Limiting number of people that see the patient to an absolute minimum isn't good for the patient either. But it's good to stop the spread.

I am not debating that these procedures are high risk. I am debating whether they can be considered thus non essential and to be avoided. That is the cdc guideline you are claiming exists yet appears nowhere in the actual cdc literature.

CDC just came up with the updated guidelines today.

I just thought it was because dialysis and ventilation isn't available there... We have it, so we are going to use it when we see fit. It has never been an option there has it?

All posts are MOO

Nurse in Spain was imtubated...
http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-spain-ebola-quarantine-20141009-story.html

The patient’s brother, Jose Ramon Romero, told reporters that relatives had been asked to come quickly to Carlos III Hospital in Madrid and that "there isn’t much hope, that it’s complicated." He said his sister had been intubated and was on a ventilator.

All posts are MOO

Then we have to wait and see if other health care workers will become infected with Ebola.

I just thought it was because dialysis and ventilation isn't available there... We have it, so we are going to use it when we see fit. It has never been an option there has it?

All posts are MOO

Not if you want to follow CDC guidelines.

"The CDC is recommending that the hospital perform only “essential procedures” on Ebola patients to limit workers’ possible exposure to the virus. Under these guidelines, Duncan would not have received the kidney dialysis and respiratory intubation treatments."

Read more here: http://www.modbee.com/2014/10/12/3587381/1st-us-transmission-of-ebola-diagnosed.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.modbee.com/2014/10/12/3587381/1st-us-transmission-of-ebola-diagnosed.html

folks- be prepared to move to a new thread in about 10 minutes.. click on the link.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...reak-general-thread-5&p=11080436#post11080436

Door is closed.
canstock1413924.jpg

link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads