Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote Originally Posted by Sophieandme
RabidBadger, do you think a 12 hour shift caring for an Ebola patient is too long? i.e. high stress, fatigue, working in PPE...

RabidBadger
I don't think so. We work in high stress, high PPE circumstances on an average day.

Approximately how many times do you have to donn and doff the PPE in a shift?

(BTW, I appreciate you answering all my ?'s!)
It feels like 40 trillion times, as in the case of a patient with ILI. I'm sure the only responsible answer is as often as needed and any time you have any doubts.

You certainly have read more posts than I have. I missed the hazmat suit, bleach, and panties stock up advice. And I would certainly hope there are not more people out there suffering from Ebola than we are led to believe. I don't know what the benefit of that would be to anyone. My apologies:eek:

What? People are worried about wearing panties if there's an Ebola epidemic elsewhere in the world? Let me just say this in half- jest, when you are sick, really sick, the last thing you are going to care about is the state of or lack thereof regarding your panties, my panties, her panties, etc. Ask any woman who's been in active labor,. :)

Was that a suspected case of ebola treated at NIH in Maryland? When was that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...as-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Frieden also said the CDC is considering having Ebola patients be treated at one of the four facilities in the United States that have special isolation units. Three of them — the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.; Emory University Hospital in Atlanta; and the University of Nebraska Medical Center — have treated confirmed or suspected Ebola cases. The fourth place is St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.

It wasn't a case of Ebola. They had someone exposed to Ebola, but apparently that someone never got sick.

I would think that at this point in time " the game has changed". We need a Surgeon General who is strong in public health knowledge and who can make policy and also add penalty stipulations for those who do not follow said policies.
I also don't care what a person's view on gun ownership is at this point in time, and IMO, it should not be anyone's first priority.

I will do a nod to the mention that the Surgeon General be in the public eye. Perhaps we have all misunderstood what the title of surgeon general is?

(NOTE: Whoa! just did a google to learn...and found scientific community sites that are talking about this!)

I will do a nod to the mention that the Surgeon General be in the public eye. Perhaps we have all misunderstood what the title of surgeon general is?

(NOTE: Whoa! just did a google to learn...and found scientific community sites that are talking about this!)

US doesn't have a surgeon general right now. Because the nominee hasn't been confirmed.

It feels like 40 trillion times, as in the case of a patient with ILI. I'm sure the only responsible answer is as often as needed and any time you have any doubts.
I'm really sorry to bother you with this, but what is ILI? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation. Thank you.

Was that a suspected case of ebola treated at NIH in Maryland? When was that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...as-eric-duncan-has-tested-positive-for-ebola/

Frieden also said the CDC is considering having Ebola patients be treated at one of the four facilities in the United States that have special isolation units. Three of them — the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.; Emory University Hospital in Atlanta; and the University of Nebraska Medical Center — have treated confirmed or suspected Ebola cases. The fourth place is St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Mont.
It ended up being Malaria.

I see nothing wrong with it except that it's all in English. Did you approve or disapprove of it, since you took a photo inside a health care facility?
I put it up for conversation. At least there seems to be an effort. I didn't see anything wrong with the sign (except there's no pictograms and now that you mention the language issue) or taking the photograph since there's no people or facility id in the picture.

I put it up for conversation. At least there seems to be an effort. I didn't see anything wrong with the sign (except there's no pictograms and now that you mention the language issue) or taking the photograph since there's no people or facility id in the picture.
I agree with you. At least there's a posted effort in English..
With my luck, I would have been totally called out or otherwise made to feel horrible about taking a photo in an ER Dept. (ETA- ten people can be doing something and I will be the ONE called out for it when there's no harm.. so I tend to really admire those who can get the photos. ) I think it's nice that no one bothered you is all. :)

People take photos in the ER all the time. ICU as well... Usually of themselves or a friend/relative takes them. I have never thought twice about it. I have taken pictures in the hospital as well. Ours has disposable gowns that hook up to a hose and keep you as warm/cool as you please. I had to take a pic of that!

All posts are MOO

In all fairness to everyone that is stressed, scared, worried etc that verges on the edge of panic about Ebola...I understand. "Officials" say no need to panic, Mr. Duncan reportedly vomits on sidewalk outside apt on way to hospital (which means prob vomited inside apt too), and vomit is washed down street drain, "officials" say some school children exposed to one of Mr. Duncan's 4 Family members who ignored quarantine and went to school but no need to worry 'cause schools cleaned the schools, homeless man hunted as if he was one of the top 10 on most wanted list but "officials" say he didn't do anything but we need to find him fast because he rode in unclean ambulance right after Mr. Duncan, "officials" say they are monitoring 4 plus school children 4 or 5, and other possible contacts that number 48, oops 100, 80, no really just kidding 48 and dang a nurse in full bio level 4 gear has Ebola and her own mistake is reason why, they say. The Troh family is hidden away somewhere and if timeline reports are correct they are up to about day 19 or 20 for their quarantine if you count from day before he 1st went to ER. All of the run around Information is what causes a lot of panic because no one knows what is really going on.

And by the way, what happened to Mr. Lively? How is he doing? CDC and other "officials" never seem to mention him, doesn't he matter?

Okay okay it was a rant but I had to, needed to
The vomit cleaner used a pressure washer. That would cause the germs to vaporize basically.
Pressure washers should be avoided in any hazardous clean up.

All posts are MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member