Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But that still does not account for number 6.

I know, evidently people can keep their identity a secret.

http://news.emory.edu/stories/2014/07/euh_ebola_patient/index.html

Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Third patient with Ebola virus disease arrives at Emory University Hospital

A third patient with Ebola virus disease arrived at Emory University Hospital Tuesday morning, Sept. 9, at approximately 10:25 a.m. The patient was transported by air ambulance from West Africa.

The patient will be treated in the same isolation unit in which two patients were recently treated and discharged.

Emory is bound by patient confidentiality and has no information regarding the status of the patient.

A third Ebola patient, an American doctor who also contracted the disease, arrived at Emory on September 9. As of October 1, there’s been no update in his condition.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiam...d-three-ebola-patients-and-cured-two-of-them/

On Monday, the World Health Organization said a doctor working for the agency in an Ebola treatment center in Sierra Leone tested positive for the virus. WHO would not reveal the doctor’s nationality nor where he or she would be evacuated to for treatment.

WHO officials would not say whether the doctor is the American Ebola patient, citing a confidentiality policy.

http://ktla.com/2014/09/09/4th-us-ebola-patient-arrives-from-sierra-leone-for-treatment-in-atlanta/

From what I can get from what I am reading it is a Dr. who works for WHO.

The sixth, no media information at all is who I am wondering about.

SStarr33 I think you asked earlier if the suits were reusable, if they are chemical/water proof I would say yes, for the average user.

You said you spray insecticide in your yard? With one of those canister pump sprayer things? Well that would be perfect for spraying bleach/water on a suit to disinfect it before removal, seems that is what they are using in West Africa. Also those sprayers would be great for disinfecting car tires if you drive your vehicles onto your property.

Folks that have experience with diseases that affect our animals, such as protecting young puppies from exposure to Parvo, or protecting livestock from exposure to hoof and mouth disease etc... know that the sanitation check point is set before you enter the property, everything (shoes, tires, gloves, suits etc...) are disinfected or left outside before entering.

Deadly easily transmittable human diseases are so rare in most of the Western World folks just aren't used to taking precautions, I remember when a friend had a baby and invited me over, baby was a week old or so and when I walked in the house it seemed so weird, no sanitation steps were taken AT ALL! After having only cared for newborn pups, and after being used to very STRICT sanitation protocols to protect them it seemed almost obscene to just walk in and visit/touch a newborn baby without sanitizing my hands, shoes, etc...

SStarr33 I think you asked earlier if the suits were reusable, if they are chemical/water proof I would say yes, for the average user.

You said you spray insecticide in your yard? With one of those canister pump sprayer things? Well that would be perfect for spraying bleach/water on a suit to disinfect it before removal, seems that is what they are using in West Africa. Also those sprayers would be great for disinfecting car tires if you drive your vehicles onto your property.

Folks that have experience with diseases that affect our animals, such as protecting young puppies from exposure to Parvo, or protecting livestock from exposure to hoof and mouth disease etc... know that the sanitation check point is set before you enter the property, everything (shoes, tires, gloves, suits etc...) are disinfected or left outside before entering.

I used to have a farm, so I have lots of pump sprayers and all types of gear that will help if the you know what hits the fan. I am jealous of your respirator and have not pulled the trigger yet at Amazon. I did, however, order some re-hydration powder.

I would like to request a photo of you suited up when you get all your gear:biggrin:

The sixth, no media information at all is who I am wondering about.

That six was in parenthesis. Sounds like the guy from the company didn't even say it, the journalist just added it. And we all know how inaccurate journalists can be. Maybe it's just bad information.

That six was in parenthesis. Sounds like the guy from the company didn't even say it, the journalist just added it. And we all know how inaccurate journalists can be. Maybe it's just bad information.

Good catch. I am going to email the reporter. I will report back if I hear anything.

Do you expect everybody to survive Ebola here? It's a deadly disease. There is no approved treatment. Mr. Duncan appears to have been treated according to customary practices here. He was put on ventilator and dialysis when his organs failed.

No he was not treated appropriately at his first visit. Despite disclosing his travel history, having a high fever, and reporting strong abdominal pain, he was sent home with Tylenol and antibiotics.

His chances to recover were greatly reduced by the actions of the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No he was not treated appropriately at his first visit. Despite disclosing his travel history, having a high fever, and reporting strong abdominal pain, he was sent home with Tylenol and antibiotics.

His chances to recover were greatly reduced by the actions of the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he should have been more forthcoming about his contact with a sick woman who died hours later. Hospital claims he told them he was not around anyone sick. Which clearly was not the case.

I am jealous of your respirator and have not pulled the trigger yet at Amazon. I did, however, order some re-hydration powder.

I would like to request a photo of you suited up when you get all your gear:biggrin:

In my defense everything I have bought can/will be used around the house....except...well the mask and suit were sort of non-essentials, but the suit was pretty cheap and I really wanted that mask (have wanted a gas mask ever since the Ferguson coverage).

Officials Admit a ‘Defeat’ by Ebola in Sierra Leone

The decision signifies a significant shift in the struggle against the rampaging disease. Officials said they would begin distributing painkillers, rehydrating solution and gloves to hundreds of Ebola-afflicted households in Sierra Leone, contending that the aid arriving here was not fast or extensive enough to keep up with an outbreak that doubles in size every month or so.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/w...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

http://www.thelocal.es/20141009/health-of-nurse-with-ebola-is-worse-brother-madrid-spain

Spanish nursing assistant Teresa Romero, currently in a critical but stable condition after being infected with Ebola, is to undergo treatment with the experimental medication ZMapp, Spain's national government broadcaster RTVE reported on Friday.

Supplies of the drug have been shipped in from Belgium, the broadcaster said in reports that have yet to be confirmed.

The news comes despite recent media reports that global supplies of the drug had dried up.

ZMapp is now made in genetically modified tobacco plants by Kentucky BioProcessing. Whaley said the Owensboro, KY company will continue production as fast as possible. At the same time, the new partner, whom Whaley declined to name, will scale up a more traditional biotech process using genetically modified mammalian cells. That process uses "CHO" cells, derived from Chinese hamster ovaries, grown in sterile tanks.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/09/zmapp-kevin-whaley-mapp-ebola/

Ibio jumps on possible ZMapp production ramp

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2026025-ibio-jumps-on-possible-zmapp-production-ramp

The drug, a cocktail of three monoclonal antibodies that has now been used in the treatment of at least seven Ebola patients, five of whom survived, has the potential to be an exceptional therapy against the virus. But the world’s supply is currently exhausted, and production of even several dozen additional doses of the drug remains months away.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119376/ebola-drug-zmapp-darpa-program-could-get-it-africa

If no one in that family gets it, we need to figure out why. Could it be because our immune systems are just tougher than theirs? Have we had vaccines that are covering us? It will be very strange if none of them get it.

Or could it be that suddenly HIPPA restrictions are being vehemently enforced? That suddenly it is "no one's business" if one of the isolated family members gets sick?

Have we heard ANYTHING from the isolated family recently? Any requests, or happy news?

The silence is deafening and strikes me as very odd. I am quite sure media outlets would PAY for phone interviews, so yes it will be VERY strange if none of them get it, and stranger still that they seem to have stopped talking to the media.

Or could it be that suddenly HIPPA restrictions are being vehemently enforced? That suddenly it is "no one's business" if one of the isolated family members gets sick?

Have we heard ANYTHING from the isolated family recently? Any requests, or happy news?

The silence is deafening and strikes me as very odd. I am quite sure media outlets would PAY for phone interviews and such so why the silence?

Good point. I have no doubt that Daily Mail has paid for some of the photos they have gotten. I wonder if they have contracted with one of the big MSM news outlets to give their story when they are released.

From what I am reading, in Africa the Ebola patients that are fortunate enough to get a bed in an Enola center/hospital, receive no medicine, just comfort care. So, Mr. Duncan was ahead of the game leaving the hospital with a RX. When he did go back, he was treated with much more sophisticated equipment and comfort care than he would have had in Africa.

If the infectious disease doctors could figure out why some people live while more than half die, it would be a big step in understanding Ebola. Perhaps if none of Duncan's family comes down with Ebola, that will give the scientists a new ground to study. Why has not one person that had direct contact with him not gotten sick? A good question, right?

Very good question. I certainly hope that no one else here gets Ebola & I totally agree that it should give scientists something to study. I'm not a medical professional but I certainly wonder if it has anything to do with people's immune system when they live in a more sanitary environment.

The silence is deafening and strikes me as very odd. I am quite sure media outlets would PAY for phone interviews, so yes it will be VERY strange if none of them get it, and stranger still that they seem to have stopped talking to the media.

Local Dallas TV stations are reporting that there still are no people showing symptoms. Of course, there's no way to know whether or not they have the correct information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member