Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/09/deputys-wife-learned-of-ebola-test-results-from-cbs-11/

This article says Ms. Monig didn't learn about her husband's good test results until that reporter told her.

Okay, this is why it is so frustrating trying to get facts from news outlets. In this article, it says that the Deputy's wife stated that even though her husband had "a high fever," they weren't worried that he had ebola.

A local news outlet interviewed his son yesterday, and the son said his dad had NO fever. News outlets have also reported that the hospital said he was completely afebrile.

You almost can't believe anything, anything you hear until several days have passed and facts have time to catch up with reporting.

Indeed. They were talking about 48H before the test results come back from the German lab. Quite a long wait - will they seriously keep everyone locked up in the hotel until then?

Probably best if they do but I don't know.

Are the pvc gloves and the suit re-usable?

Oh also if you have heavy duty trash bags (or a roll of plastic sheeting) and plenty of tape on hand you could always improvise a protective suit if you suddenly required one. It won't be pretty but at that point who cares.

Slightly OT but while looking on Amazon I came cross this 3M Gas Mask and really want it...though it is more than I wanted to spend. Full face coverage and protects against viruses, tear gas, chemical warfare, noxious fumes, allergans, dust, dander etc... Widely used by folks that do painting and construction. PLUS it isn't bad looking for a gas mask. I am trying to justify why it is a good investment...lol.

41mPrzVrijL._SS100_.jpg

Oh also if you have heavy duty trash bags (or a roll of plastic sheeting) and plenty of tape on hand you could always improvise a protective suit if you suddenly required one. It won't be pretty but at that point who cares.

Slightly OT but while looking on Amazon I came cross this 3M Gas Mask and really want it...though it is more than I wanted to spend. Full face coverage and protects against viruses, tear gas, chemical warfare, noxious fumes, allergans, dust, dander etc... Widely used by folks that do painting and construction. PLUS it isn't bad looking for a gas mask. I am trying to justify why it is a good investment...lol.

41mPrzVrijL._SS100_.jpg

LOL, I love it. During non-virus times, it would be great for spraying my garden. How much is it?

I'm confused. There is Will Pooley, the British nurse who has been cured of Ebola. But this deceased man is described as a Doctor named Will Puli? Is this the SAME person. Im thinking yes but the confusion is there.

How on earth is the fact that he did not start treatment in Africa - when it is claimed that he didn't know he had it - even relevant.

I am guessing they might mean that the doctors and other care workers that were infected and came to the U.S. WERE first diagnosed and treated in Africa (under not so great conditions) and they all survived, but Duncan started his treatment in the U.S. and he died (because he wasn't treated right yada yada).

I'm confused. There is Will Pooley, the British nurse who has been cured of Ebola. But this deceased man is described as a Doctor named Will Puli? Is this the SAME person. Im thinking yes but the confusion is there.
I understood it was the same also maybe the translation got it wrong

I just watched our local NBC station interviewing Mrs. Monnig & she was in NO WAY acting upset. She was smiling & being very pleasant. I don't know J. D. Miles but the twitter was apparently misinterpreted or miswritten by someone.

FYI, CBS (local channel 11) says they will air their interview with "an upset" Mrs. Monnig tonight after the football game.

LOL, I love it. During non-virus times, it would be great for spraying my garden. How much is it?

$88 for the mask and another $18 for a set of high quality filters. NATO military masks are double that price, and this one is extremely highly rated by guys that use these a lot at their jobs, they all say these are super comfortable and effective.

LOL if you like it then I should get one...you convinced me!

Such terrible news...I keep thinking of her husband and what an awful situation he is in, with his wife critically ill, his own life in danger, and not even his beloved dog to comfort him. So sad!

That poor woman had symptoms for a whole week before they finally tested her for Ebola.

Which man are you referring to?

If it is the British man who died in Macedonia, then he has not actually been named yet from what I can see. He was described as a businessman on our UK news rather than a doctor.

I have had a quick look and the latest press reports were from the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail an hour ago and neither of them named him.

If he has been named in a source which isn't main stream press, I think I might treat the information with a bit of caution for the moment - particularly with the 'coincidence' of the name.....

I also cannot find any recent news reports relating to the British nurse Will Pooley. The last was about a week ago praising him for donating his plasma to help another patient. I am sure if anything had really happened to him it would be all over our news.

Indeed. They were talking about 48H before the test results come back from the German lab. Quite a long wait - will they seriously keep everyone locked up in the hotel until then?

Thats how long it takes-48 Hrs

Thats how long it took the Deputy-
Could take 48 hours to confirm if deputy has Ebola

So as far as I can tell Noone really knows who this guy is or if he for sure has ebola I guess time will tell.. I'm guessing they want to contact his immediate family members before airing his name..

I might not have written the HIV and Ebola comparison with clarity! My basic thoughts was that there was in beginning of HIV an attempt to focus on transmission of the virus as opposed to the host of other behavioral component of any viral spread. HIV initially resulted in all sorts of behaviors (masks, not touch,etc) that ultimately have no bearing on transmission, it was not related solely to the virus in and of itself.

The same is occurring here. Ebola. Perceived powerlessness in any context often result in fear – its human!
There are a host of variables (hygiene capability, education,living conditions as it relates to proximity with one another. At this point that has been proven to be solid information. If we look at the airplane deal (an environment that is tightly packed, recirculating air, increased contact with things like cups between one another, seat material that is sat on by thousands per aircraft, common sinks etc). Thus far none of those variables – which might increase validity in a cough , the virus ability to remain on surfaces,survive, and reinfect another person. None of the airplane folks have contrasted anything.

Once education and understanding , that was valid, and was disseminated transmission declined because the included proven variables as it relates transmission. I was referring to conditions and behaviors that increase ones capacity to have some control over becoming infected (protected sex etc) and thus far in this situation the living standards are so different between western countries and third world nations it is a reasonable conclusion that what the majority of experts are explain that in reality it is difficult to transmit without the host of other variables mentioned above.

The other notion being referred to was , as a result of not knowing , were, when time bore it out, had no impact of transmittable (?) did I just make up a word!

It really is identical to any illness. Diabetes more exerciser, cancer family genetics, smoking lung cancer etc. So that is a basic entity in any illness – a complex intersection of differing variables.

It may turn out that there are even more commonalities than known at this time:

by Dr. Paul Biennial of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center at New York's Rockefeller University
"It's remarkable to see two such different viruses share a common budding mechanism," Biennial said in a statement.

The viruses that cause AIDS and Ebola, two deadly, contagious and highly feared diseases, spread through the body using the same mechanism,
HIV and Ebola use a protein called Tsg101 to bud from the cells they infect. Both viruses hijack cells, inject their genetic material, and turn the cells into little virus factories. New copies of the virus "bud" from the cells in one of the steps of this process, before going in search of new cells to infect. As both HIV and Ebola bud, Tsg101 attaches to the virus and helps it to emerge from the cell, the researchers reported.
http://www.rense.com/general17/aidsandebola.htm

In the context of HIV, we see the identical dynamics in play:
S Africa is number 1 as far as HIV goes Nigeria next India next All third world nations.
US came in at 9 out of ten.
Ebola has been known about 48 years (first 1976). With that long history with no known cough, sneezed dynamics in close to 5 decades, IMO, it seems like more is known about transmission than the media has played this event out!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympl...ompares-to-other-recent-big-epidemics#1ftma86
At the end of the day, it might in fact, end up being that there might be more similarity, as it relates to role of sex in Ebola:
…..semen and breast milk, contain the virus. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness

HTTP://wholegrain/medicament/fact sheets/fs103/en/

This is good news !
CBS News ‏@CBSNews 50s51 seconds ago
JUST IN: Dallas Sheriff's Deputy tests negative for Ebola

Although the deputy was in the space wherein a fatal case resided for days, breathing the air, but did not come in direct contact with the occupants, or touch any towels etc, he is clear.Seems like that supports what a lot of folks working in the feild are saying, at this time, as i relates to air contact etc, just imo

C

Which man are you referring to?

If it is the British man who died in Macedonia, then he has not actually been named yet from what I can see. He was described as a businessman on our UK news rather than a doctor.

I have had a quick look and the latest press reports were from the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail an hour ago and neither of them named him.

If he has been named in a source which isn't main stream press, I think I might treat the information with a bit of caution for the moment - particularly with the 'coincidence' of the name.....

I also cannot find any recent news reports relating to the British nurse Will Pooley. The last was about a week ago praising him for donating his plasma to help another patient. I am sure if anything had really happened to him it would be all over our news.

There was an earlier post referring to a tweet I i think it was a tweet) about a British Dr named Will Puli. I think the tweeter was mistaken or jumping to conclusions. Will Pooley was mention in the article I read about the deceased British man but the article in no way gave any indication that Will Pooley could possible be the deceased man. Sorry for the confusion. i was trying to get clarification myself

HHS secretary: There may be other cases of Ebola in the U.S.

Secretary of Health and Human Services Sylvia Burwell said that despite the best efforts of health officials, Americans have to prepare for the reality that there may be more cases of Ebola in the United States.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2554588

Boy are you on the money here! Whew I felt like I was watching a summer blockbuster!!! While watching am thinking if I was approaching a car accident and I saw 12 ambulances I would consclue before getting the site wow this must be one bad accidnet. ON the other hand if I saw an accident with a mbulance as I approached I would think myst not be too bad. Good lord it looked like they sent 5 people (in the scariest suits I have seen yet!_ to walk out a human being.

Really sad Isabelle -- did you hear the Boo

so out of hand and seems , since the meida is playing this in much the same way a motion picture company launches its next blockbuster the ratings soar and soes the media lose focus of its primary oblisgation - to inform the public, based on known facts, in an objective manner - not happening in this story at all they keep caarying on IMO there are going to be some problms (commerce, refusing to go to work etc etc)

Strange indeed.................

unopinated way s in next big film,
That was strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads