Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring back the Surgeon General who retired. Can't remember his name. Is it Koop or something like that?

ETA: NM he is no longer with us.

He's making life alert commercials. He's busy :)

Last Rep who spoke smacked down the CDC for not apologizing. Said he was grateful that the hospital apologized.

They teach you about medical malpractice that apologies often prevent lawsuits. (But you also have to be very careful about this).

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. And if they just hadn't sent the darned guy home on 9/26, I'd feel a whole lot different about at least that part of the fiasco.

I flip between him being sent home was a good thing to a bad thing in this situation only. At home he only exposed those in the house. At the hospital until they thought Ebola I think many many more people would be exposed. All the nurses going in and out all their other patients and in some cases the families of all those patients.

They teach you about medical malpractice that apologies often prevent lawsuits. (But you also have to be very careful about this).

True, but the apology is more effective if it comes sooner rather than later.

I guess late is better than never just from a "do the right thing" perspective.

I flip between him being sent home was a good thing to a bad thing in this situation only. At home he only exposed those in the house. At the hospital until they thought Ebola I think many many more people would be exposed. All the nurses going in and out all their other patients and in some cases the families of all those patients.

Okay, point taken.

"I don't know of a single disease that transmits from dogs or cats to humans or vice/versa.
Just google "diseases transmitted by dogs to humans" and "diseases transmitted by cats to humans".
And just as a reminder to the younger gals reading here: Pregnant women should NOT be changing cat litter due to the danger of the transmission of toxoplasmosis.

There are very very FEW diseases that actually move between dogs and us. We can also expose DOGS to serious diseases (i.e. MRSA, Hepatitis).

Secondly, more HUMANS in the U.S. have been infected with toxoplasmosis than cats OR dogs, and we get it primarily from undercooked meat, veggies, soil, etc... Also pregnant women only need to be concerned if they have NEVER been exposed to it before, and tests should be done to see if they have antibodies which will prevent a problem.

A toxoplasmosis test is done to check if a:

Pregnant woman has antibodies from a toxoplasmosis infection. If she has the IgG type of antibody, that means an infection occurred in the past and the baby does not have a chance of becoming infected.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/toxoplasmosis-test

Studies show that about 30 percent of U.S. cats and dogs have been exposed to the T. gondii parasite, as well as 25 to 50 percent of Americans. Animals and people living in rural areas are more likely to be exposed to toxoplasma. However, infection and clinical disease is actually quite rare.

In fact, owning a cat is not a common way to acquire toxoplasmosis. In the U.S., the parasite is most often transmitted to humans through raw or undercooked meat, unwashed fruits and vegetables, and contaminated water or soil.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/01/14/toxoplasmosis-infection.aspx

This is a better definition of how ebola is spread-

@DavidSchechter: Ebola is spread through contact to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen of a person sick with #Ebola. #FactsNotFear

.....and blood, and if the person sneezes or coughs, from those secretions too, and diarrhea

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. And if they just hadn't sent the darned guy home on 9/26, I'd feel a whole lot different about at least that part of the fiasco.

Yes, those were unfortunate series of events - from the airport to the hospital and then an ambulance had to be called and back to the hospital. In the meantime, he was two days really sick back at the apartment.

When you think about it, more people should be infected. Does a weakness exist among some people? These are young people for the most part. Why them? Why not Duncan's family who were in direct contact for a prolonged period of time. Did they kiss him (upon arrival) or have intimate encounters after he arrived? Would love to know the answers to these questions.

So this is really close to home...
@wfaachannel8: Two @RoyseCityISD schools will close as an Ebola precaution; the two schools are Davis Elementary and Ruth Cherry Intermediate

What in the ........ I thought I was current but maybe I missed something. Why are they closing? Just as a random precaution or was someone from the plane at the school? Sorry if it's been covered and TIA

ETA I just saw on cnn 5 schools are closed as a precaution because a staff member was on plane. So I'm assuming that is a part of it and while it seems like a touch of overkill, its much better than doing nothing , which is what happened the last 2 weeks. So better safe than sorry mode !

Yes, those were unfortunate series of events - from the airport to the hospital and then an ambulance had to be called and back to the hospital. In the meantime, he was two days really sick back at the apartment.

When you think about it, more people should be infected. Does a weakness exist among some people? These are young people for the most part. Why them? Why not Duncan's family who were in direct contact for a prolonged period of time. Did they kiss him (upon arrival) or have intimate encounters after he arrived? Would love to know the answers to these questions.

IF all these contacts remain healthy, what that should tell us is that, as we've been reassured so many times, in the early stage of symptoms, this disease is nowhere NEAR as contagious as it is as time goes on and the patient gets sicker. It also says that most of these people really never made any significant contact with the man or any of his body fluids. What it says about Louise and the other 3 who lived there is not exactly clear yet, since we don't know for sure how close their actual contact was.

Rumor is the nurse who was on tv with Matt Lauer does not hold the same feelings as the majority of the rest of the nurses at TPH.

Somebody on another site was opining that Duncan could possibly have been the most infectious ebola person in history because they kept him alive for so long.

True, but the apology is more effective if it comes sooner rather than later.

I guess late is better than never just from a "do the right thing" perspective.

I agree, it is the right thing to do but a tad late. I don't believe any hospital will win a lawsuit on the basis of whether they issued a public apology or not, though.

Rumor is the nurse who was on tv with Matt Lauer does not hold the same feelings as the majority of the rest of the nurses at TPH.

What feelings did she express? I didn't see it.

Some education on this subject is obviously needed.

Go here http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/11-diseases-you-can-get-your-pet?s=12 to learn the most common DISEASES/DISORDERS that can be picked up from house pets. Whether CAUSED BY a parasite, a fungus, a bacteria, or a virus, these diseases are well known and documented to be carried by house pets.

And speaking of anyone having never HEARD of a disease transmitted by a dog to a human, the first one that came to mind to me was RABIES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay