Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree as I watched an interview with someone from one of the affected Africa communities and they were saying that the wild dogs there were highly suspected of transmitting the disease to others.

We of course dont have a lot of places with wild packs of dogs but I do think its wise to quaranteen the dog that was with the infected people and test it up to 21 days. The person said you can test the dogs to see if they are carrying it, so no need to kill the dogs.

The dogs in the villages are probably eating infected meat-- whether from bush animals or from dead humans (gross). IIRC, the article brought this up and said they don't know what part, if any or how much the dogs eating infected meat had ( I think they also mentioned dogs licking up bodily fluids too)...

Well fortunately it isn't - and the spread so far, although utterly heart-breaking confirms that it cannot be airborne (for now anyway) or the rate and spread of infection would be many, many times greater than it is.

Absolutely. It would be a disaster on a huge scale.

Actually, the only organizations in Texas that are acting proactively seem to be several school systems. Several students from Royce City, Saginaw & Belton were on the flight with Amber. The affected schools are disinfecting & telling the possibly exposed students to stay home. I suspect this is because schools have more experience with the spread infectious diseases than
any doctor or health organization in the world. I suggest that anyone wanting to follow this go to one of the following Dallas or Texas websites. nbcdfw.com, wfaa.com, dallasmorningnews.com, or kcentv.com

I sure hope the wedding dress shop owner has good insurance. I can't think he'd be able to sell any of those dresses after public fear and decontamination crews are finished with them.

Yesterday they said she never left the parents' home during her visit, which we were thinking was weird. Why even say that? So now she did got to a wedding dress store,,,,, but that's all right? No taco bell, starbucks , book store, walmart, post office, NOTHING? Right? Geez!

Right? I'm curious as to why the window of suspicion towards possible cases is growing.

Yes - I am really wondering what has caused the almost exponential increase in contacts that they wish to look at - was AV feverish for longer?

I still cannot et my head around the five planeloads of people.

I suppose it could just be that they are smarting from the public and official response to the way things have been handled so far and have just veered wildly to the opposite end of the response spectrum as a knee-jerk reaction.

What irritates is people repeating that dogs an cats do not pass on diseases to humans and that there is absolutely no evidence that dogs could carry Ebola or pass it on. There is evidence - it may not be overwhelming but it does exist and to say it does not when it ha been posted on here several times isn't really right is it?

There is EVIDENCE that dogs are responsible for the spread of Ebola? Wow...first I have heard of this.

Human Transmitted Diseases (not in any particular order): TB, HIV, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Influenza, Cholera, Typhoid, Smallpox, Chickenpox, Diphtheria, Polio, Rubella, Shingles, MRSA.

And how many of those are likely to be transmitted by a dog????? Errrrrmmmmm.....none....except maybe MRSA and that is IF a contagious human infects them.

Would you support travel restrictions for dogs arriving from infected areas? Human travel restrictions are obviously out of the question but maybe canine travel restrictions should be in order? That might fix the problem!

Hospital officials in Connecticut quarantined a Yale University student researcher with Ebola-like symptoms, but state officials said Thursday that the patient tested negative for the disease, CBS Hartford affiliate WFSB-TV reports.

That's good to hear. The other article linked earlier stated that these students were never even around anyone with ebola to begin with.

The scary thing is, going back to my post #555, if this were actually "airborne," that's exactly who would need to be quarantined. Everyone in that terminal, and everyone in the Cleveland terminal.

....and everyone in West Africa, and on and on......JMO

The dogs in the villages are probably eating infected meat-- whether from bush animals or from dead humans (gross). IIRC, the article brought this up and said they don't know what part, if any or how much the dogs eating infected meat had ( I think they also mentioned dogs licking up bodily fluids too)...

I totally agree. There has been some of those towns where they didnt want to touch the bodies and just let them lay until officials picked them up. I could easily see where dogs may have licked at the dead person and then went and was petted or licked others and they had no idea the dog just came from a dead body.

I suspect that is how the townspeople ended up with the dog to human cases.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...se-exposed-to-ebola-might-not-be-long-enough/

Drexel Study Claims 21 Day Quarantine For Ebola Might Not Be Long Enough

October 16, 2014 12:12 PM
snipped

The research, which was conducted by Professor Charles Haas, PhD, and used data from both previous outbreaks and the first nine months of the current outbreak, claims that there is still a .1 to 12% risk of that person developing the virus if they are released from quarantine after 21 days.

“In other words from 0.1 to 12% of the time, an individual case will have a greater incubation time than 21 days,” Haas concludes.

BBM

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...se-exposed-to-ebola-might-not-be-long-enough/

Drexel Study Claims 21 Day Quarantine For Ebola Might Not Be Long Enough

October 16, 2014 12:12 PM
snipped

The research, which was conducted by Professor Charles Haas, PhD, and used data from both previous outbreaks and the first nine months of the current outbreak, claims that there is still a .1 to 12% risk of that person developing the virus if they are released from quarantine after 21 days.

“In other words from 0.1 to 12% of the time, an individual case will have a greater incubation time than 21 days,” Haas concludes.

BBM

0.1 - 12 is a big old range......

I wonder why they are trying to contact all 5 flights worth of people. Perhaps she did throw up on that plane and we dont know about it?

I can understand all people on her flight and maybe the people sitting in her seat isle for next flights but I dont understand all passengers from all 5 flights.

I am hoping it is just that the airline is being overly cautious. Trying to make a statement that they are totally transparent to all of it's customers.

That's good to hear. The other article linked earlier stated that these students were never even around anyone with ebola to begin with.

I wonder why they got an ebola test in Liberia then?

There is EVIDENCE that dogs are responsible for the spread of Ebola? Wow...first I have heard of this.

Human Transmitted Diseases (not in any particular order): TB, HIV, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Influenza, Cholera, Typhoid, Smallpox, Chickenpox, Diphtheria, Polio, Rubella, Shingles, MRSA.

And how many of those are likely to be transmitted by a dog????? Errrrrmmmmm.....none....except maybe MRSA and that is IF a contagious human infects them.

Would you support travel restrictions for dogs arriving from infected areas? Human travel restrictions are obviously out of the question but maybe canine travel restrictions should be in order? That might fix the problem!

Again, here is the article about the research on dogs and ebola:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3298261/

This is why the Spanish nurse's dog was euthanized and the U.S. nurse's dog is currently in quarantine.

I believe Bentley will be the fix for all of this "let's blame the pets" speculation.

In a few weeks his owner will be discharged, and then Bentley will be tested for "live ebola" just like the released patients at Emory, and when Bentley is CLEAR folks can point fingers elsewhere.

Bentley is going to be a canine hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member