Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted it on my FB page and tagged my husband. I wanted to have something for medical people to read and consider, thanks!

I found that information to be very good IMO. They worded it where people can understand it.

Just yesterday, we had lots of discussions along these lines. My best example of why I do believe their concerns is when I was in my backyard the other night and it was very cold and I had a flashlight. I watched my breath steam as it traveled and I was a little surprised at how far it traveled. It basically behaved like smoke would.

So on a windy day, I would have to conclude that breath particles could travel quite a ways. And since they say that bodily substances can carry the disease, I am thinking that breath particles would be a bodily substance.

The bottom line for me is to again error on side of safety and just wish they would require nurses to use respirators to be on the safe side. I realize there is a cost involved, however, its peoples lives at stake.

I posted it on my FB page and tagged my husband. I wanted to have something for medical people to read and consider, thanks!

Did you happen to read yet the full PDF by the CDC that I posted yesterday? I remember you said that Ebola Zaire is a different strain than this one and I think maybe you didn't understand the importance of why I posted the PDF. You were incorrect as it is Ebola Zaire in this outbreak and the reason I posted it is bc of the implication it could have to various animals. I'm wondering if there's anything we can do as a preventive measure bc some people hunt wild animals, which in all reality could get infected like those in Africa, so I wonder what precautions we can use...especially considering the implications of it all.

Had he not touched things (ie the red bag and the arm of a guy in the suit) I think I would feel more at ease. Since he did I think he needs to be on lock down for 21 days.

Oh gosh! I missed that! So this is the same guy? Clipboard dude is same as red bag guy?

She will lose her job. It won't be because of the interview. Hospital administration will find the smallest, irrelevant thing and terminate her. I wish her the best. Been there, done that.

I feel bad for her. Can't help but to feel bad.

She will lose her job. It won't be because of the interview. Hospital administration will find the smallest, irrelevant thing and terminate her. I wish her the best. Been there, done that.
That was my first thought as well. She has to know that though.

A few dates to keep in mind.

Thomas Duncan was apparently infected when he helped a neighbor on September 15. Nine days later on September 24 he started showing symptoms of the Ebola and was admitted to the hospital on September 28. The first symptoms of Ebola show up between 2 and 21 days from infection, but most typically around 8 to 10 days. The window for patients exposed when Duncan was outside the hospital will expire on October 19, but we are past the typical time for symptoms to appear. Duncan died on October 8, the window for health care staff infected during Duncan's treatment will close on October 29. The time after infection when patients start to show symptoms follows a bell curve. The good news is that it gets less likely every day that we will find another civilian infected by Duncan before he was isolated.

Nina Pham was placed in isolation on October 10. She was directly involved in Duncan's care, but we don't know for certain exactly when she was infected. On October 31, the window for civilians exposed before she was isolated will close.

Amber Vinson was placed in isolation on October 14. She was also directly involved in treating Duncan. The window for civilians exposed before she was isolated will close on November 4. Amber was transferred to Emory in Atlanta on October 15, her case no longer poses a risk to workers at the Texas hospital.

There are reports that infection control measures used at Texas Health Presbyterian were lax. Two infected health care workers are the result. So far there is no indication that Ebola has spread beyond health care workers directly involved in treating Duncan. This makes sense if you understand the progression of the disease. There is less risk being around a patient in the early stages of the disease. Health care workers in Texas who are treating Nina Pham are still at risk. In hindsight, it would have been better to send her to Emory. But at this point, she is probably too fragile to survive the trip.

If additional cases are discovered, they should be sent to a hospital with special facilities like Emory.

Rachel Maddow did a great job explaining the progression of Ebola from the time a patient starts to show symptoms on her show last night.

You can watch it here.

The risk of infection rises along with the progression of the disease in an Ebola patient. In later stages, the patient is producing massive amounts of bodily fluids loaded with the Ebola virus. The risk for health care workers peaks when the patient is approaching death, apparently when the two health care workers in Texas were involved in Duncan's treatment.

Thanks for posting this Footwarrior. Excellent overview and definitely worth watching. Keep watching to the end though, as a doctor comes on and clarifies that in this strain of Ebola, there is not much bleeding among the patients. (only about 18%)

Staffing issues behind move-
@janetstjames: BREAKING: family confirms #Ebola nurse Nina Pham will be moved. sources say it's because of staffing.

Did you happen to read yet the full PDF by the CDC that I posted yesterday? I remember you said that Ebola Zaire is a different strain than this one and I think maybe you didn't understand the importance of why I posted the PDF. You were incorrect as it is Ebola Zaire in this outbreak and the reason I posted it is bc of the implication it could have to various animals. I'm wondering if there's anything we can do as a preventive measure bc some people hunt wild animals, which in all reality could get infected like those in Africa, so I wonder what precautions we can use...especially considering the implications of it all.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I incorrectly was thinking ebola Zaire was the strain from the earlier outbreak in Africa!!!

I am an animal lover. I love my dog like he is my child, but if it ever came down to it, I would put him down if I had to if it was proven he was carrying the virus and could infect people. How can anyone take that chance?

@kristenorsborn: Sources tell @wfaachannel8 Pham's family did not request she be moved. But it's being done due to "lack of staffing" at @texashealth #ebola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper