Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear there has to be some reason people are vomiting their heads off in Dallas in public places. I never heard of this happening before now. Is there a Norovirus traveling around or what?

the following diseases can prevent someone from entering the United States:[SUP]2[/SUP]
  • Chancroid
  • Gonorrhea
  • Granuloma inguinale
  • Infectious leprosy
  • Lymphogranuloma venereum
  • Active tuberculosis
  • Infectious syphilis
  • Cholera
  • Diphtheria
  • Infectious tuberculosis
  • Plague
  • Smallpox
  • Yellow fever
  • Viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa, Marburg, Ebola, Crimean-Congo, South American, and others not yet isolated or named)
  • Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and
  • Other influenza viruses that are causing or could cause a pandemic, such as H1N1

However, it must be noted that returning Americans cannot be denied entry, although they may be referred to public health officials where there is medical reason to do so.[SUP]3

CDC maintains 20 quarantine stations at most major international airports as well as at the major land border ports of entry near San Diego, California and El Paso, Texas.[SUP]8

[/SUP][/SUP]
[SUP][SUP]2013, there were 174 million foreign travelers admitted to the United States[/SUP][/SUP][SUP][SUP]

http://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/immigration/2014/10/14/key-questions-ebola-screening-immigration[/SUP][/SUP]

I swear there has to be some reason people are vomiting their heads off in Dallas in public places. I never heard of this happening before now. Is there a Norovirus traveling around or what?

Actually yes I heard there was some stomach flu thing going around there

MOO but I really wish the press in Dallas would take a deep breath, pop the clutch and stop acting like hysterical boys and girls. I for one am weary of the Breaking News when someone simply threw up.

In no way is this pointed towards anyone here as I always search here for any breaking news. I'm addressing the press only because that's where it starts and they are supposed to be professionals.

Both nurses were in the hospital and diagnosed before we knew anything about them. I suspect that anyone else that falls ill with Ebola (pray there are no more) will be checked in, tested and in isolation before it's reported.

Someone up thread mentioned quicker test results in Dallas due to recent changes. That is correct, the Department of Health in Dallas has been cleared to perform the blood test versus sending the sample to Austin.

Truth! There was a time way back in yesteryear when a reporter might lose their job for not verifying a few key facts before printing something . Finding out if this lady was on watch list or had any contact with Duncan prior to putting it out in public would have saved a lot of hoopla. If I'm Judge Jenkins and I have to give a presser over every vomiting resident of Dallas County, then I would be personally contacting the local networks and giving them a severe talking to !

I was at a football game (I'm not in Dallas this weekend) and kept getting alerts on my phone. First, that an ebola contact had gotten ill at a DART station and that she had just decided on her own that her quarantine was over.

Got another one saying she was a resident of the same apartment complex as Duncan and that she had vomited on a platform and had a mild fever.

Then I got another one saying she was not on any ebola contact/monitoring list.

The last one I got says the following:

Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said they were called to the scene because the woman reported being ill from a spider bite on her hand.

"While medics were assessing the patient, she shared information, which included living in the same apartment building as the first confirmed Ebola patient (Mr. Duncan) in addition to being under ordered quarantine. This, coupled with patient presentation, led them to believe they could be dealing with a potential Ebola exposure," Evans said in a statement. "However, since initial patient contact was made, it has been confirmed that not only did this person not live in the same apartment building, but she did not reside in the same apartment complex. It has also been confirmed that she is not on ANYONE'S Ebola watch list [emphasis his], and therefore not under any issued quarantine[.]"

Initial reports said she vomited on the platform and had a low grade fever.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/18/ebola-dart-station-dallas-monitoring/17503345/

The above linked article states:

DART spokesman Morgan Lyons said the person exited a northbound Blue Line train at the station and spit on the platform.

So which is it? I'd say spitting and vomiting are significantly different acts.

It is really really frustrating to me the manner in which news is being reported before important facts are verified. It's emotionally exhausting.

Supposedly there is a lot of flu going on up here. We need to remember that the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is a huge area. For those of you who are not familiar with the area it might help if you pulled out a map of Texas. To the west starting with Weatherford to Terrill in the east is all town. Same thing with Cleburne in the south to Denton in the north. I need to see if I can find the total of population of this area.

Supposedly there is a lot of flu going on up here. We need to remember that the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is a huge area. For those of you who are not familiar with the area it might help if you pulled out a map of Texas. To the west starting with Weatherford to Terrill in the east is all town. Same thing with Cleburne in the south to Denton in the north. I need to see if I can find the total of population of this area.

I believe the population of DFW is thought to be around 7 million.

I believe the population of DFW is thought to be around 7 million.

I tried to get a link to Wikipedia but for some reason it's not working. As of 2010 the combined statistical area had a population of 6,817,483. That number did not include some of the cities I listed. For sure we are a huge metropolitan area.

I just have to chime in here. In my 49 years of life I can't recall EVER witnessing someone vomit in public! Not even at a bar or party where a lot of drinking has taken place - or on an airplane where vomiting apparently takes place frequently. After reading about all these people vomiting on buses, train stations, public sidewalks, etc. in the past few weeks - I'm thinking I've been quite lucky not to have witness such a disgusting thing! Ha!

A few weeks ago, my daughter was flying to Denver from North Carolina. She got very air sick. She held on until the end of the flight, grabbed an air sickness bag, stepped out of the plane, and tried to get to a bathroom. She didn't make it and got sick in the gangway (into the bag, fortunately). If that happened to her today, I don't want to think about what would ensue.

A few weeks ago, my daughter was flying to Denver from North Carolina. She got very air sick. She held on until the end of the flight, grabbed an air sickness bag, stepped out of the plane, and tried to get to a bathroom. She didn't make it and got sick in the gangway (into the bag, fortunately). If that happened to her today, I don't want to think about what would ensue.

People in hazmat suits would come and take her away.
:laughing:

What a crazy day for Dallas Fire & Rescue. Oh, and the DART employees. So thankful I live in the country. moo

Now would be a great time to book a cruise on the Carnival Magic. I check the Carnival website & they have balcony rooms available for $679.00 per person for tomorrow's cruise.

Apologies if this was already posted but this, IMO, is so ridiculous I had to post it.
A Maine teacher at Strong Elementary School was placed on a 21-day paid leave of absence after parents told the school board they were concerned that she might have been exposed to Ebola during a trip to Dallas for an educational conference.
parents and community members expressed frustration that they were not notified that the teacher would be traveling to Dallas, where the nation’s first Ebola case was diagnosed.
The hotel where the teacher stayed is about 10 miles from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where the first case of the virus was diagnosed.
http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/...y-teacher-on-leave-after-traveling-to-dallas/

I LIVE in the extended DFW metroplex area. All our major TV network outlets are DFW based. Very well acquainted with where Dallas, Fort Worth and various other towns are in relation to where I live. I watch the news, I read the news about various places in the area, and I DO leave our wonderful, semi-secluded house and go to Dallas shopping quite frequently.
Hence, why my comment on never seeing people vomiting en masse' in public before. I spend enough time there ( or have until recently) to know that it's not a city of extreme debauchery and public drunkenness on average.
As a nurse, I suspect other factors are at work in the public vomitus spewing rather than only minor illness. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that some of this is done for shock value, some is simply spitting for attention ( get yourself isolated in Presby. for that), and some of it is psychogenic in origin.

My response to the news alerts has become one of detached bemusement, as I do not think infectious diseased persons walk throughout Dallas, specifically, or the DFW metroplex in general, any more than I think Zombies walk the streets of same.
I'm from the South. I've seen entire families " fall out" (it means faint in some dialects of Southern- speak) because " Grannie" died at the age of 95 in her sleep and her descendants were told so when 20 of them showed up at the hospital, praying, swaying and generally making it difficult for us to work around them.
There are MANY cultural factors at work during perceived times of distress, and it appears that " the South" apparently extends to Dallas at this time, if not at all times.

Apologies if this was already posted but this, IMO, is so ridiculous I had to post it.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/...y-teacher-on-leave-after-traveling-to-dallas/

As a Mainer, I think this is beyond ridiculous. Matter of fact, an attorney friend of mine was in Dallas for a conference, staying around the same distance from THP as this teacher, during the week that Mr. Duncan was initially diagnosed. However, like this teacher, he was nowhere near any of the potential contact areas (i.e, hospital, apartment complex...) and he has not been quarantined - nor should he be. What do you all think? Just curious...

As a Mainer, I think this is beyond ridiculous. Matter of fact, an attorney friend of mine was in Dallas for a conference, staying around the same distance from THP as this teacher, during the week that Mr. Duncan was initially diagnosed. However, like this teacher, he was nowhere near any of the potential contact areas (i.e, hospital, apartment complex...) and he has not been quarantined - nor should he be. What do you all think? Just curious...

If they start to quarantine people just for traveling to Dallas, then they need to quarantine the whole of Dallas. I think this is kind of ridiculous. The teacher is not going to get Ebola being 10 miles away from the hospital.
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a paid vacation for 3 weeks for being in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay