Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to chime in here. In my 49 years of life I can't recall EVER witnessing someone vomit in public! Not even at a bar or party where a lot of drinking has taken place - or on an airplane where vomiting apparently takes place frequently. After reading about all these people vomiting on buses, train stations, public sidewalks, etc. in the past few weeks - I'm thinking I've been quite lucky not to have witness such a disgusting thing! Ha!

IKR? Very good thing, too, since it would likely make me vomit in reaction. :puke:

It was only slightly easier to deal with from my own kids, but that came from sheer willpower not to make them feel worse by seeing me upchuck in disgust. :eek:

People are definitely overreacting. I think it will pass over the next week or two, as they see the lack of reports of plane passengers or waiting room patients getting it.

That's OK. We just need to be cool and give people time and credit for putting 2 and 2 together. It'll also help to give clear advice about sanitary habits and avoid using patronizing language OR careless behavior and standards.

The media's false alarms will actually help too, imo, as people get tired of it.

I don't find anything strange about her or her family hiring an attorney. I can guarantee that people are going to file lawsuits against her, alleging negligence on her part causing them to be quarantined and miss work, lose wages, lose out on pre-paid vacations, etc., etc. It's going to happen. I mean, they'll probably go after deeper pockets, like the hospital or CDC (though do they have government immunity?), but she's a valid target, too. Then there are media inquiries, people pestering the family about this or that. Not to mention the matter of her own medical bills and any other legal affairs (keeping bills paid and whatnot) being handled.

Are people going to win lawsuits against? It doesn't matter, because people are free to file lawsuits. And Amber and her family are not going to want to deal with legal headaches personally now. They are focused on Amber's health, as they should be.

19 Action News

Scott Taylor is reporting Amber Vinson the Nurse who is infected with the Ebola virus just hired Washington DC Attorney Billy Martin.

https://www.facebook.com/19ActionNe...322791.248731454442/10152789486819443/?type=1

This seems odd to me. Nurse Vinson is probably in no condition to be making decisions like this. Just going on what we've been told about Ebola, I would imagine she is on a downhill path in her illness. So, the question is who made this decision, what is behind it, and why?

<modsnip>

My opinion only!

I posted that I wondered if she had a pat down as soon as the news broke about her. I remember wondering about it because I don't believe they change gloves between pat downs.

And the virus is found on the skin. Not sure if it is there early in the course of the infection or not.

Crap, I wonder if it was ok for me to put the story about Amber Vinson hiring an attorney on this thread, or if it should be in political. Mods?

As a Mainer, I think this is beyond ridiculous. Matter of fact, an attorney friend of mine was in Dallas for a conference, staying around the same distance from THP as this teacher, during the week that Mr. Duncan was initially diagnosed. However, like this teacher, he was nowhere near any of the potential contact areas (i.e, hospital, apartment complex...) and he has not been quarantined - nor should he be. What do you all think? Just curious...

Sure. Quarantine him. If a company wants to pay someone to stay at home for 21 days, why not? I could do that (LOL).

19 Action News

Scott Taylor is reporting Amber Vinson the Nurse who is infected with the Ebola virus just hired Washington DC Attorney Billy Martin.

https://www.facebook.com/19ActionNe...322791.248731454442/10152789486819443/?type=1

Probably considering suing the hospital. As an RN, I think she should. When Dr. Vargas addressed Congress last week he admitted the hospital received directives from CDC in August, but no training/inservices was provided to staff. That is just plain negligent.

Probably considering suing the hospital. As an RN, I think she should. When Dr. Vargas addressed Congress last week he admitted the hospital received directives from CDC in August, but no training/inservices was provided to staff. That is just plain negligent.

Briana said there were two inservices on ebola.

I'm seeing reports that the Coast Guard sent out a chopper to that cruise ship to get a blood sample from the lab worker. So that they can test for ebola before the ship gets back to port and reassure everyone that she's not infected.

And I've been reading up on ebola testing. Apparently the tests aren't accurate until after the person is symptomatic.
Source: http://www.livescience.com/48141-how-doctors-test-for-ebola.html

I think that definitively tells us that the lab worker on the cruise ship must be showing symptoms, or there would be no point in sending a helicopter out there to take blood for testing.

Now I want to know how Amber is! She is not getting the same coverage as Nina, but possibly she wants her condition to be kept more private. Geez I hope that she can get transfused and responds to whatever treatment they can give her. She arrived in hospital comparatively late, and that is not good. But she is young and hopeful and that helps.........JMO

Hey everyone,

First, I need to let all know that I am an ATL local, as well as a Nurse. Second, I REALLY suspect that the lack of information on Amber's condition/progress/prognosis is at the specific request of either Amber or her family, perhaps even both - regardless of HIPAA. I lived through the absolutely INSANE hysterical local reaction to the transfers of Dr. Bently and Ms. Writebol to Emory back in the Summer...there was almost an insurrection-type local response for daring to "bring Ebola to America, and specifically Atlanta"...SERIOUS eyeroll here :) With that in mind, the local media was usually FULL of updates on these 2 folks, as well as the "unidentified" WHO doctor who apparently was near death at the time he reached Emory 9/7/14...due to the doubled + length of treatment of Dr. Brantly and Ms. Writebol, it just makes sense to me that this is the patient who ended up on a ventilator and dialysis for a period of time. A recent update is indicating that this patient is likely to be discharged, and soon!!!! Contrast that with not a single WHISPER on Amber's condition or treatment in the local media, along with the terse "we're too busy with her care to provide updates" statement from Emory since she arrived Wednesday night, and I feel that validates my opionion!!

Anyway, I've tried every single possible way to reach out to Amber/her family in the past couple of days to at least let them know of the unqualified support of, concern for, and love and cheerleading for Amber as she fights this mighty battle, as well as let them know that there are those of us who are absolutely DISGUSTED with the trashing Amber has received in the media...GRRR!!!

As I ran errands a couple of hours ago, I decided that I would mail a get well card along with the supportive sentiments of most of us to Amber...what I need is to make sure that my written sentiments truly reflect our Websleuths feelings. The card itself reads "Caring is all around you" on the front, and the inside reads "Remember that many others are thinking of you and adding their strength to yours during this time". My proposed written message is "with our love and support for your successful treatment, Rachel _____, along with so many Nurses and others who care for you on Websleuths.com". Please let me know if this is acceptable to all here, as well as throwing out any other suggestions/input so that I truly respresent all of us correctly. I plan to have the card in the first mail pickup (12 noon) on Monday.

Best and warmest regards to all,

Westie Mom

Hey everyone,

First, I need to let all know that I am an ATL local, as well as a Nurse. Second, I REALLY suspect that the lack of information on Amber's condition/progress/prognosis is at the specific request of either Amber or her family, perhaps even both - regardless of HIPAA. I lived through the absolutely INSANE hysterical local reaction to the transfers of Dr. Bently and Ms. Writebol to Emory back in the Summer...there was almost an insurrection-type local response for daring to "bring Ebola to America, and specifically Atlanta"...SERIOUS eyeroll here :) With that in mind, the local media was usually FULL of updates on these 2 folks, as well as the "unidentified" WHO doctor who apparently was near death at the time he reached Emory 9/7/14...due to the doubled + length of treatment of Dr. Brantly and Ms. Writebol, it just makes sense to me that this is the patient who ended up on a ventilator and dialysis for a period of time. A recent update is indicating that this patient is likely to be discharged, and soon!!!! Contrast that with not a single WHISPER on Amber's condition or treatment in the local media, along with the terse "we're too busy with her care to provide updates" statement from Emory since she arrived Wednesday night, and I feel that validates my opionion!!

Anyway, I've tried every single possible way to reach out to Amber/her family in the past couple of days to at least let them know of the unqualified support of, concern for, and love and cheerleading for Amber as she fights this mighty battle, as well as let them know that there are those of us who are absolutely DISGUSTED with the trashing Amber has received in the media...GRRR!!!

As I ran errands a couple of hours ago, I decided that I would mail a get well card along with the supportive sentiments of most of us to Amber...what I need is to make sure that my written sentiments truly reflect our Websleuths feelings. The card itself reads "Caring is all around you" on the front, and the inside reads "Remember that many others are thinking of you and adding their strength to yours during this time". My proposed written message is "with our love and support for your successful treatment, Rachel _____, along with so many Nurses and others who care for you on Websleuths.com". Please let me know if this is acceptable to all here, as well as throwing out any other suggestions/input so that I truly respresent all of us correctly. I plan to have the card in the first mail pickup (12 noon) on Monday.

Westie Mom

Sounds great to me. You might also tell her that Teresa Romano has no sign of ebola in her blood and she was really sick and a smoker. It might make her feel better.

Hey everyone,

Westie Mom

What a truly kindhearted gesture. I can only imagine what a wonderful nurse you must be :heart:

I'm seeing reports that the Coast Guard sent out a chopper to that cruise ship to get a blood sample from the lab worker. So that they can test for ebola before the ship gets back to port and reassure everyone that she's not infected.

And I've been reading up on ebola testing. Apparently the tests aren't accurate until after the person is symptomatic.
Source: http://www.livescience.com/48141-how-doctors-test-for-ebola.html

I think that definitively tells us that the lab worker on the cruise ship must be showing symptoms, or there would be no point in sending a helicopter out there to take blood for testing.

They have been testing a lot of people who aren't necessarily showing symptoms. Almost all of Mr. Duncan's initial contacts got tested (that's what I heard today from the judge's press conference). None of the tests for Duncan's contacts came back positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay