Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they come forward with how they treated Amber and the journalist b/c they seemed to rid of Ebola so quickly. Fingered crossed and prayers up that this is what Africa needs to handle they outbreak.

We know how they treated the journalist. He got supportive care. He also got experimental drug (the same one that was given to Mr. Duncan) and the blood transfusion. I don't know if Amber got the same thing or they tried something different on her.

"Mukpo also got an experimental pill called brincidofovir as well as serum from Ebola survivor Dr. Kent Brantly."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...reelancer-ashoka-mukpo-survived-ebola-n231681

I believe they are keeping things hidden to stop the flight from their hospitals. The Texas hospital had decreased to 2/3 occupancy when news of the ebola patient hit the press, and last I heard they were at 1/4 occupancy. A hosp in my area had a case that was reportedly in the ER. Symptoms and travel from the areas affected with ebola allegedly sparked cause for concern. No press and all just staff murmurings. Hospitals are businesses. They are run by business, not medical people. And they cannot operate with a 1/4 capacity and make a profit. I would like to think that the squelching of info was to keep hysteria down, but ...sigh
Harmony, if this is considered political can it be moved and pardon me for placing it here. Also, does anyone have a link to political thread? I will try to find it now. Thanks.

I believe they are keeping things hidden to stop the flight from their hospitals. The Texas hospital had decreased to 2/3 occupancy when news of the ebola patient hit the press, and last I heard they were at 1/4 occupancy. A hosp in my area had a case that was reportedly in the ER. Symptoms and travel from the areas affected with ebola allegedly sparked cause for concern. No press and all just staff murmurings. Hospitals are businesses. They are run by business, not medical people. And they cannot operate with a 1/4 capacity and make a profit. I would like to think that the squelching of info was to keep hysteria down, but ...sigh
Harmony, if this is considered political can it be moved and pardon me for placing it here. Also, does anyone have a link to political thread? I will try to find it now. Thanks.

What specifically are you saying here?

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/26866926/inmate-held-in-isolation-at-cherokee-county-jail

FOX 5 has confirmed a Cherokee County inmate is being monitored for Ebola.

Justin Clay Saint Germaine, 33, recently returned from Gabon in West Africa where he was working on an oil rig.

In light of recent Ebola concerns, jail officials decided to keep him in isolation for at least 21 days to make sure he's symptom free.

Gabon is not very close to the affected areas, has had no confirmed cases, and has a travel ban of people from affected nations. Seems like a pretty remote possibility of infection to justify keeping someone in isolation.

West Haven family quarantined after traveling in West Africa

A family of six in West Haven has been quarantined after returning from a trip to an Ebola-affected country in West Africa.
The quarantine is per the governor's orders following the Ebola epidemic, however, West Haven officials said the family members are not showing any symptoms at this time.

The family must be quarantined for 21 days following their return to Connecticut on Oct. 18. City officials said there are no family members enrolled in any school system.

"It will be good for the people who are quarantined to make sure they don't come down with an illness and the people in the community so it won't be spread," said West Haven resident Tim Sayers.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/26865766/west-haven-family-quarantined-after-traveling-in-west-africa

Having no medical training, just going from experience in my family in the past two years, the HIPPA laws have sealed records up so tightly, that I would assume any RN on a floor would have to know the laws regarding a POA. (Wow, is that a run on sentence?)! Lol! The way I am looking at it, an RN is the head nurse, in charge, and would have to know about a POA. Working in medial records is not going to help the patient, doctor, or RN in knowing who to contact regarding the patient's care. A POA is filed with the hospital, however, it is also in/on the patients chart.

Thanks for the info that Duncan's son is of age to be in charge of his father's estate.

BBM: As an RN we do indeed know the POA laws - as they pertain to living patients. Once a patient dies, they are, obviously, no longer our patients, and the laws change and do not impact our work. I would not have known this, and I've been an RN for 30+ years.

Gabon is not very close to the affected areas, has had no confirmed cases, and has a travel ban of people from affected nations. Seems like a pretty remote possibility of infection to justify keeping someone in isolation.

There's one fact that was omitted from the summary here that you responded to, that I think helps explain the situation:

This is an INMATE who isn't free to be out and about anyhow.

In that context, keeping him segregated from others "just in case" is an over-abundance of caution, but probably not a huge change from the alternative for him. And we have to recognize that others are incarcerated, and have no say in who they are incarcerated with, so the jailers have to decide if they are going to force that other inmate to be locked up with him 24 - 7 or not, when he might have a risk of coming down with a deadly disease.

Let's be real - if it was me or you, we probably would rather not share a cell with the guy, just in case, even though we figure there's probably almost no chance of catching anything.

What specifically are you saying here?
LOL! I was responding, on another thread, to someone. If I can remember the original quote, which I can't, was something about new cases not making the news or the public monitoring of ebola by the press diminishing.

Ahh, and yes, exactly. That's why I thought killing Excalibur was such a waste, even from the coldest perspective.

I'm actually doubtful that even he had enough exposure to give us any exposure-to-seroconversion time points, but between him and Bentley, we would still have a little more data to help in assessing the risks. (And getting ignorant screamers to ST#U, IYKWIM :innocent: )

If we don't get enough to cite soon, I'm afraid some lab is going to run a test using a lot of healthy dogs. :(

Since they apparently come through exposure unscathed, that might make them relatively lucky, if they were on the lab track already, but I'm sure they'd still be sacrificed at the end. :(

Now I need a Vicodin with my coffee. :ohdear:

Sending heartfelt wishes for strength to Teresa, whenever they tell her.

This info (re: experiments) is what upsets me greatly. Also I cannot even bear to think of Teresa being told that her best friend has been euthanized. It's tearing me up!

Go Amber !!! It really does seem that prompt medical care is a HUGE factor!

Wow, you just made me wonder something. Presby has very few patients ( maybe none ) but is housing several of the ' monitored' individuals. I wonder if the state or feds are kicking in some $$ to the hospital for this OR if the hospital will charge those persons' insurance companies for ' monitoring'. Let's face it , if you go to the hospital with a bump on your head, they can keep you24 or 48 hrs to ' monitor' in case you get a bleed in the brain or something like that. So could the hospital term them ' patients' and charge their insurance companies as if this was a physician directed 21 day monitoring period ? That would provide the hospital with a little $ but boy what a slippery slope . Thoughts?

SCHMAE, I have been wondering too, but my thought was are they being covered by workman's comp insurance. But yes, if someone outside the hospital caught it, who indeed does pay. EGADS the bill on that would be tremendous!

Go Amber !!! It really does seem that prompt medical care is a HUGE factor!

Just supportive care doesn't seem to be enough. Even if started early. They must have given her some experimental treatment.

Just supportive care doesn't seem to be enough. Even if started early. They must have given her some experimental treatment.

Oh I agree. I don't know what they did but doing something before the virus has taken a big toll on the body is key to survival imho.

abamegu6.jpg

This was FIRST thing given to me when I walked in the door and to reception for doctor appointment just now

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

West Haven family quarantined after traveling in West Africa

A family of six in West Haven has been quarantined after returning from a trip to an Ebola-affected country in West Africa.
The quarantine is per the governor's orders following the Ebola epidemic, however, West Haven officials said the family members are not showing any symptoms at this time.

The family must be quarantined for 21 days following their return to Connecticut on Oct. 18. City officials said there are no family members enrolled in any school system.

"It will be good for the people who are quarantined to make sure they don't come down with an illness and the people in the community so it won't be spread," said West Haven resident Tim Sayers.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/26865766/west-haven-family-quarantined-after-traveling-in-west-africa

Glad they are doing this maybe it will get people to stop visiting those areas knowing the outbreak is still taking over. The only ones that need to go are those trying to help no fun visits. Though I can see where this will turn very quickly b/c some people are just ignorant and live in the me me me type of world. Not wanting to be held up for 21 days

I found this statement unintentionally humorous in a way: "The quarantine is per the [Connecticut] governor's orders following the Ebola epidemic."

Connecticut's "Ebola epidemic" that has induced forced quarantine consists of the grand total of 0 (!) cases of patients in their state contracting the disease, and comes as a result of the fact that earlier this month Gov. Dannel Malloy declared a public health emergency for Ebola in that state. There is a massive outbreak of two, count 'em TWO!, people contracting it in the entire country - but, getting it about 1600 miles away.

What an epidemic!

I found this statement unintentionally humorous in a way: "The quarantine is per the [Connecticut] governor's orders following the Ebola epidemic."

Connecticut's "Ebola epidemic" that has induced forced quarantine consists of the grand total of 0 (!) cases of patients in their state contracting the disease, and comes as a result of the fact that earlier this month Gov. Dannel Malloy declared a public health emergency for Ebola in that state. There is a massive outbreak of two, count 'em TWO!, people contracting it in the entire country - but, getting it about 1600 miles away.

What an epidemic!

I sort of agree with you, except I don't trust this administration to admit to there being more than 2, until after the mid-terms. That said, i'm surprised the MSM isn't using the word they usually love to use - 'Pandemic', which would actually be more correct as to ebola. Epidemic is local. Pandemic is world wide.

Oh I agree. I don't know what they did but doing something before the virus has taken a big toll on the body is key to survival imho.

The nurse in Spain wasn't diagnosed for a week but still made it with several experimental treatments.
But of course she got to much worse state than either Amber or Nina, so early diagnosis and treatment is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest