Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's heartbreaking. How can we live in a world of plenty here and those poor people are living a reality that is a nightmare?

There are nightmares all over the world. I sleep well with the proper dose of remeron & Lexapro.

Actually, I'm not sure how you health workers can hold up to such stress. My hat is off to all of you!! It takes a special kind of person to repeatedly endure a situation like that.

I couldn't. I got out of ICU. One day I knew I just couldn't do it one more day. My hair was falling out in handfuls, I had back and neck problems that eventually required surgery, I was so stressed out that I wasn't managing my personal life very well, got too thin, etc. I have tremendous respect for ER and critical care nurses. The technology they have to handle and keep up with, the critical thinking skills which are a key part of the job, the constant sadness and tragedy they see daily, the physical, back breaking work they do, finding a way to deal patiently and compassionately with upset/angry/sad families who are dealing with the worst thing they've ever experienced, etc. They are some very dedicated people.

Most nurses work very very hard, so not taking away from any of them. The ICU world is just what I know best, so my comments tend to reflect that.

Apparently being a Good Samaritan is now a criminal act. :(

Kaci Hickox is a Johns Hopkins trained epidemiologist as well has an RN with a MSN. She has the experience and training to make state and national decisions regarding quarantine vs monitoring. Much more so than those who have determined her current fate. No wonder she is confident in speaking up and knows this is not the way to handle this.

When I received my MPH degree public health law and public health policy courses were required. I would expect she took this course work as well. Besides understand policy and being a nurse clinician her epidemiology specialty qualifies her as a scientist. She also has worked at the CDC. I just hope science wins over politics.

I think what may end up happening is a compromise. A required home monitoring with enforcement capabilities if needed. Though it's not needed medically it will satisfy politicians and the public's concerns. At least she can be comfortable in her own home or a location of her own choosing. She is entitled to a choice of where she wants to live for the 21 days.

I'd hope she'll be sent 100 bouquets of flowers as a thank you for her dedication and work.

Kaci also has experience working with the media explaining scientific topics. I found this in her bio and other info I can't post or link here. It's disturbing her treatment by NJ and the hospital brought her to tears. This really upsets me.

The quarantine is for 21 days, meaning she could come down with Ebola at any time within that time frame. If she does, would her civil rights still have been violated?

Why did they stuck her in a tent? There are no rooms available? They are being ridiculous.
She is not infectious (at least right now). They could easily put her in a regular room. Even Dr. Spencer's fiancée is now being quarantined in her apartment.
There is no reason whatsoever for them to put this nurse in a tent with a porta potty.

Why did they stuck her in a tent? There are no rooms available? They are being ridiculous.
She is not infectious (at least right now). They could easily put her in a regular room. Even Dr. Spencer's fiancée is now being quarantined in her apartment.
There is no reason whatsoever for them to put this nurse in a tent with a porta potty.

Some were put up in a hotel, may have been Texas Presb owned or affiliated as I recall. I would have thought her attorney would ask for an immediate transfer to a different hospital and state - if NY won't release her. Then she could just go home from there if she wanted. But I hope they get send her home right away.

Some were put up in a hotel, may have been Texas Presb owned or affiliated as I recall. I would have thought her attorney would ask for an immediate transfer to a different hospital and state. Then she could just go home from there if she wanted.

I believe Nina's boyfriend was put up in a hospital.
But hospitals have rooms with showers and toilets, etc. Why put her in a tent?

Nurse's Lawyers Promise Legal Challenge to Ebola Quarantine

Lawyers for a nurse quarantined in a New Jersey hospital say they’ll sue to have her released and file a constitutional challenge to state restrictions for health care workers returning to New Jersey after treating Ebola patients in West Africa.

Civil liberties attorney Norman Siegel said Kaci Hickox, who was quarantined after arriving Friday at the Newark airport, shows no symptoms of being infected and should be released immediately. He and attorney Steven Hyman said the state attorney general’s office had cooperated in getting them access to Hickox.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...mise-legal-challenge-ebola-quarantine-n234416

Nurse's Lawyers Promise Legal Challenge to Ebola Quarantine

Lawyers for a nurse quarantined in a New Jersey hospital say they’ll sue to have her released and file a constitutional challenge to state restrictions for health care workers returning to New Jersey after treating Ebola patients in West Africa.

Civil liberties attorney Norman Siegel said Kaci Hickox, who was quarantined after arriving Friday at the Newark airport, shows no symptoms of being infected and should be released immediately. He and attorney Steven Hyman said the state attorney general’s office had cooperated in getting them access to Hickox.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...mise-legal-challenge-ebola-quarantine-n234416

Apparently this law says non-residents will be transported to their home (if feasible). So why don't they just transport her to her home and then Maine (apparently that's where she lives now) can decide if they want to quarantine her in that home (or not). I personally think quarantine is a good idea, especially considering Dr. Spencer's being out and about a day before he got his symptoms. But they could be quarantined in their homes (or at least told to not use public transportation or go to public places).

Did you guys catch that part in 60 Minutes when he said his daughter was sick and died in childbirth and then he denied it? Didn't Louise have a daughter that died in Liberia?

More found on NJ quarantined RN's training. She also trained at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine with a diploma tropical nursing.

I believe Nina's boyfriend was put up in a hospital.
But hospitals have rooms with showers and toilets, etc. Why put her in a tent?

An decider administrator Dr Livingston wanna be or former military desk sgt who read about tents in his survival manual had her put in a tent? Just joking. A tent makes no sense at all, very strange.

More found on NJ quarantined RN's training. She also trained at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine with a diploma tropical nursing.

Perhaps she had an administrative role and didn't actually have patient contact. Regardless, being trained in Public Health , she should have better insight.

Did you guys catch that part in 60 Minutes when he said his daughter was sick and died in childbirth and then he denied it? Didn't Louise have a daughter that died in Liberia?

As far as I can tell Louise moved to US a long time ago and didn't have a daughter that died in Liberia. Also she and Mr. Duncan have a son (who is very much alive and lives in US), not a daughter.
Mr. Duncan was renting a room from a family whose pregnant daughter died from Ebola.
So the pregnant woman who died wasn't his daughter as far as I can tell.

Apparently this law says non-residents will be transported to their home (if feasible). So why don't they just transport her to her home and then Maine (apparently that's where she lives now) can decide if they want to quarantine her in that home (or not). I personally think quarantine is a good idea, especially considering Dr. Spencer's being out and about a day before he got his symptoms. But they could be quarantined in their homes (or at least told to not use public transportation or go to public places).

Yep, very simple and best answer. Just hoping they "allow" it. They don't seem to be rational at all. Only to other hospital in other state first if they're afraid of a lawsuit in case she later becomes positive. I know that doesn't make sense but trying to consider how NJ might be thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman