Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ebola Spreading: Infections Up 800% In Last Week, Officials Race To Track Down 400 Possible Contacts

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...k-officials-race-track-down-400-possible-cont

The 2014 outbreak likewise started in a remote region of Africa, but containment efforts were ineffective and the virus eventually spread to the United States and Europe.

According to W.H.O., about 400 people have come into contact with the 29 people infected and officials are attempting to track them down for monitoring.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-44150762

Forty-four people have been infected and 23 people are known to have died

The Ebola outbreak in DR Congo has spread from the countryside into a city, prompting fears that the disease will be increasingly hard to control

On Wednesday more than 4,000 doses of an experimental vaccine sent by the WHO arrived in Kinshasa with another batch expected soon.

DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to Mbandaka city
17 May 2018 Africa

Eta..pic of location. Screenshot_20180517-115714.jpg

Would be interesting if the newlyweds gave their support to Ebola these days after Saturday?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bruptly/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0a04b251e773

"The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton."

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer’s departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

Ziemer’s last day was Tuesday, the same day a new Ebola outbreak was declared in Congo. He is not being replaced.

Scary. Sigh...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cases-confirmed-in-congolese-city-of-mbandaka

More Ebola cases confirmed in Congolese city of Mbandaka
Experts hold emergency meeting as concerns grow over prospect of wider outbreak.

I believe WHO is on top of it, even without the United States individual, and I do know that Emory University and the other designated American sites are on high alert for any individual that is a healthcare worker to be taken in. As they did before.

Ebola is by far the scariest disease I have ever heard about. I read the book the "Hot Zone" and it terrified me like no other disease. The scary thing is the disease is every bit as bad as the book described.

Luckily they are starting to employ vaccines that hopefully will work. Up until the last outbreak there was really no vaccine and we are finally starting to see them come up with preventative medicines which is really good news.

We are still learning new and scary things about the disease. This is news to me that people can catch it and then get better and then be like a "typhoid Mary" and end up spreading it to others a year or more later to someone else. Uggggg. Sad and scary for family or friends of people that have ever caught it and survived.

"A Liberian woman who probably caught Ebola in 2014 may have infected three relatives a year after she first fell sick, doctors reported in a study published Monday."

Doctors find 1st likely case of woman spreading Ebola one year after infection | CBC News

Ebola Clinical Trial to Begin Amid Outbreak in DRC

Patients in the current outbreak, which began this summer and is the third largest Ebola outbreak on record, have been receiving these treatments for several weeks through a World Health Organization (WHO) compassionate-use protocol, STAT reports. As of Friday (November 9), 139 Ebola patients had received one of the four drugs. Although it’s unusual to use unlicensed drugs in such large quantities outside formal clinical trials, the idea was to get treatments started while health officials designed and made negotiations for the human study.

Ebola Clinical Trial to Begin Amid Outbreak in DRC

Violence in DRC makes treating Ebola patients and conducting this trial all the more difficult. “People are being shot at, and it’s not just the occasional bit of gunfire,” Farrar tells STAT, speaking of the province of North Kivu, the site of the outbreak. “There’s mortars, there’s kidnappings—it is an intensely fragile environment with a lot of conflict that’s been going on for years.”

How Ebola Spreads

How Ebola Spreads | Online Masters in Public Health

JMO
I grew Romain lettuce in my garden for the first time a couple of years ago and the one thing I noticed that could make it more risky than other types of lettuce is the leaves grow upward in a like an upside down funnel where rain water can collect inside the leaves at the base.

Im wondering if that sitting water inside the lettuce plays a role and then comes along farmer John and if they spray any type of liquid turkey poop or other poop fertilizer on the ground before planting then when the new rains hit the ground it splashes up Ecoli from the ground poop and it gets inside the leaves and mixes with the standing water and creates a toxic soup.

Just guessing but it seems like we have heard about Romain being a problem in the past too so something unique about it

I read this article on CNN about the recall a few minutes after my husband came home with a box of mixed greens for salad. It contained baby romaine so out it went. I guess it was too soon to have been pulled by the store and I’m too lazy to take it back.

From the link:

No one distributor or source has been identified, so the FDA is warning consumers to avoid all types and brands of romaine lettuce, Gottlieb said. Consumers should not eat any romaine lettuce product, including "whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, such as spring mix and Caesar salad.
Retailers and restaurants also should not serve or sell any until more is known about the outbreak.

Don't eat romaine lettuce, CDC urges amid E. coli concerns - CNN

I was wondering why there was no romaine in the store I was in today. It’s weird how it’s consistently been that specific variety, Romaine. Hatfield could have a point about the way it grows. But why now, in the last few months, has this been a recurring problem. I just wonder what has changed now, compared to all the times there has been no E. coli.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katarinadil
Back