Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Day 3 - 2nd Day of Testimony, Tuesday, Sept 25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thirty minutes late and we still have no live feed . . . . makes me wish I would have started that project @ 9:30 instead of waiting so I wouldn't miss testimony today . . . (grr)

By the time they start the trial today it will be lunch time. Just like yesterday.

Corey Rangel‏@CoreyABC15

Elizabeth Johnson is in the courtroom. While attorneys meet privately with judge, Johnson is talking to deputy about clothes #babygabriel

Chris Williams‏@chriswnews

#BabyGabriel trial: Elizabeth Johnson at def table wearing brown semi-sleeveless top. Can partly see tattoo on rt shoulder. Unsure what is

Camille Kimball‏@CamilleKimball

Hi everybody following #ElizabethJohnson #BabyGabriel trial. Judge, jury not here. EJ is. Logan is. I am. Just waiting to start.

EJ doesn't look so harsh today - a little more classy.

Good morning Wers. Hey, there's my fave detective in the prosecutors' table, what's her name again?

Wow ....I would NOT wear that shirt to court if I was on trial....really EJ? looks like she is going to a night club....flashes of CA

We are in court . . . Judge jokes that the clock in the courtroom is actually 35 minutes fast . . . he apologizes for being late but must attend to other mattrers . . . is hoping rest of the trial will get started closer to 10:30.

Alisha Shumway . . . CPS investigator on stand - she now works as a Licensed Clinician for SW Behavioral Health . . . CPS previously. Receives initial reports from Hotline and investigates allegations worked there 3.5 years. Hotline aka Central Intake . . . determine if there is enough info to generate a report - sent to various units based upon zip code. She received 6 weeks training . . . how to ascertain abuse/neglect, testifying in court, and an additional training (40 hrs) as forensic interviewer - to interview children without coercing or coaxing children. Each time had an investigation had to write reports for each interview including times and dates and informtion obtained. She received report referral on 12/10 and assigned to investigate. First thing is to contact source of the report . . . contacted Logan on phone 12/11 and made appointment to meet with him on 14th (he was unavailable to meet with her on 11th as he was on his way to family court). When Shumway arrived @ the home - EJ asked her to wait outside while she was selling the dogs . . . .only other individuals in the home were the people who purchased the dogs. Shumway spoke w/EJ who informed "everything was legal" re: adoption . . . she had dropped Gabriel off with the Smith couple who had a private Atty who was taking care of paperwork. Shumway asked how adoption could occur without Father's consent? EJ said Logan completely abandoned them and she was proceeding with adoption. . . .. . EJ's demeanor was initially very shocked @ allegations contained in CPS report . . very calm and did not appear to be grieving the loss of her 7 month old son whom she was adopting out. Shumway did not see Gabriel . . . EJ said he was placed with the Smith family. Due to EJ unable to provide legal paperwork - she provided CPS with contact (phone) info for Smith Family , whom she contacted on 14th after speaking w/Logan. Met w/Logan @ 9am ish . . . on 14th - then called phone number for Smiths - it was a business line . . . she called EJ and asked her for another phone number contact for Smiths. CPS received call from TPS who said they were merely babysitting the child. At 1:30 Shumway had arranged to go to EJ's home - present were TPS, EJ and Gabriel, trailer home in Tempe. Conversation w/EJ - confronted EJ .. . in phone call to arrange visit . . . EJ said she had changed her mind and was not going to adopt out baby. EJ was adamant deny ever saying she wanted to adopt out Gabriel. Trailer had great room/livingroom/kitchen all one open area where they met that day. EJ denying ever gave Gabriel up for adoption . . . Shumway asked why she would ever have that info if EJ didn't give that info . . . EJ stated she was baffled. Shumway told TPS she had no rights to adopt the child.

Shumway understood Gabriel would remain with EJ . . . no understanding that Gabriel would be going back to the Smith's to live. Shumway ID'd EJ in court with tan shirt (peekhole arms). Logan contacted CPS later to inform . . . . (objection) upcoming Family Court Date. CPS closed out their case @ the time. Keep case open or close out case . . . both parents have to be unable or unwilling to provide for the child - when CPS involved they close out when Family Court as they are 2 different types of proceedings. In Family Court - they have investigators to check out allegations. Findings of the CPS were unsubstantiated. Findings did not have anything to do with the custody issues.

no further questions . . .

Did anyone get a good look - was that Jack Smith's attorney sitting behind the prosecution table?

Did anyone get a good look - was that Jack Smith's attorney sitting behind the prosecution table?

I'll pay attention.

What's with this not asking any questions to the witnesses? Is the DT seriously thinking that to ignore all evidence is a good strategy? Juries understand facts and evidence --- points of law not so much I think.

Wow ....I would NOT wear that shirt to court if I was on trial....really EJ? looks like she is going to a night club....flashes of CA

she must not be taking any advice
plus she wants to be sensationalized
after school movie is what she reminds me of

I'll pay attention.

What's with this not asking any questions to the witnesses? Is the DT seriously thinking that to ignore all evidence is a good strategy? Juries understand facts and evidence --- points of law not so much I think.

he keeps making the defense look weak

I'll pay attention.

I guess there's no way to dispute the facts - that's a lost cause - so he's just going to fall back on this legal technicality, right? If I were a defendant with nothing but this type of defense, I'd want a bench trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly
Back