Ella -the week after pill

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another side effect would be the decreased use of condoms. People wouldn't bother with them nearly as much, especially teens, since all they have to do is take a pill of something happens. Less condom use leads to an increase in sexual diseases and more widespread transmission of those diseases. As well as a possible increase in promiscuity, overall. But the STD risk would certainly increase.

Actually, I doubt this would affect teens that much. I am sure Ella would be much more expensive than condoms and Ella will require a script, whereas you can buy condoms OTC.

I normally dont like to talk about this topic, however it reminds me of another thread that Id like to share with the readers here for this reason. I will not be jubilant if Ella comes to the US, however, I will feel some sort of ease because abortion will still be legal in this country. Even people who use some sort of contraception can still get pregnant. A relative of mine, who is a retired nurse, remembers what life was like for women before abortion became legal in this country. I do care about children, however, I do care about women who are placed in the situation of an unwanted pregnancy as well. I would not ever want to imagine what life would be like for them if abortion were not legal today.

I know that this is a hot topic for discussion, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect them all. I would like for the readers here to help with a cold case forum that does not seem to be too active right now.

DE - City of Bear - 1967 WhtFem Died while undergoing abortion procedure

Carlk90245 started this forum to try and help identify this woman who died while undergoing an illegal abortion procedure in 1967. If you guys could hop over there and just keep that case in mind, maybe someone will see something in the future that could help solve this case. Without judging her or blaming her for what happened, just keep in mind that she is someone's daughter, may be someone's sister, and Im sure that whether or whether not she has been reported missing, someone surely misses her.

Ive never tried to post a link in a reply before, so if it doesnt work, just search for the thread within websleuths to view it.

Thanks guys for reading this, and I hope that you can help out.

I saw this in the paper on Saturday that it had gained FDA approval. I'm glad, and I don't quite care whether it causes termination of a pregnancy or just delays ovulation. Can you tell I am strongly prochoice? I honestly believe that if a woman decides she is not fit or capable of raising a child, she's probably right, and as long as she takes appropriate legal measures to correct her situation, it's between her, her pharmacist or doctor, and the God that she answers to.

I read the article and then read the thread. I'm a bit confused because the way I read it is the Ella pill prevents conception by delaying ovulation. The BC pill prevents ovulation. But the end result is the same, it prevents conception. I'm not seeing how it is another form of abortion because that is the termination after conception? :waitasec:

My opinion. I am glad the FDA approved this pill. I'm glad it will be another option that my own daughters and sons (with their partners) can choose to use if they wish to do so.

I have no problem with it whatsoever. :)

The problem with the culture of contraception is that it has completely divorced sex from its natural result, birth. Sex becomes a recreational right, rather than a responsibility. Northrup makes statements commending women for "dominion" and "control" over their fertility, but what contraception actually does is manipulate a woman's fertility. All over the media is proclaimed images showing that a happy, joyful, lovable woman is a sterile one. Contraception does not increase men's respect for women, it eliminates it. When contraception fails, who gets the blame? The man, who is fertile 100% of the time (barring disorder) or the woman, who is only fertile 2 days out of 28, on average.

I completely disagree with Northrup that contraception leads to control over fertility. True control over fertility can be gained when a couple learns how a woman's body functions, how to identify the fertile times and potentially fertile times, and then acting with responsibility within that knowledge. There are quite a number of different methods of Natural Family Planning which have been scientifically designed to incorporate any number of signs of fertility a woman's body produces each month, from methods designed to be simple enough for illiterate people in underdeveloped countries, to highly technological methods using the latest in ovulation monitors and all manner of levels in between.

I believe we have been sold a bill of goods when we buy into the planned children = better world equation. Children are not commodities to be made or disposed of at our whim, they are gifts which should be received gladly regardless of their circumstances and cared for with utmost respect. They are too valuable to be treated as a consequence, too precious to be seen as a burden. In my opinion, we all contribute to a culture of abuse and neglect when we demand that children should only appear on a defined schedule.

Contraception is not responsible behavior. Contraception is the abdication of responsibility in favor of indulgent, self-serving behavior mechanically or medicinally separated from its natural results. Of course, when nearly every adult in society has chosen some sort of mechanical or medicinal artifact instead of true responsibility, the youth are going to witness the hypocrisy and never rise to the level of responsibility for their own fertility. Even less so, when they are nearly never introduced to the means for knowing the power of their fertility and how to protect it. And the intrinsic value of life becomes more devalued with every new device intended to prevent, disrupt or destroy it.

Forgive me for asking, but is abortion covered under the new health care plan? Will it cover this option. I don't follow it much since my ovarian cancer, and I don't have to worry about pills and such since I have no female parts - yikes! But that doesn't mean I'm not for a woman's right to choose.

I do however, worry about STD's, AIDS, and the like. These pills won't guard against that.

I honesly believe the pill AND a condom is the only way to go.

MOO and all that

Mel

I, like others believe the Ella pill will come. Since the object of this thread was to get us to discuss our opinions of such a pill, I'll be happy to share mine. I have 5 beautiful children, 2 were planned, 3 were happy surprises. I have taken the morning after pill, plan B, once in my lifetime. It was the first time we had intercourse, after baby number 3 was born. We were so wrapped up in the mindset of working to conceive baby number 3, we sincerley "forgot" about contreception! I have never had an abortion, or terminated any pregnancy. I don't feel like its my right to decide whether a child lives or dies. If the Ella pill works the same way as Plan B, just postponing ovulation, I don't have an issue with its use. However, if it works like RU 486 to cause abortion, then I have a serious problem with its use. I know as woman, it will be much maligned for not supporting "our right to choose", but I'm sorry. I cannot be hypocritical and say I do. I do believe in birth control, for certain, I just will not support a babies life being ended by medical intervention.

:applause:

GREAT POST

Like I said - the pill and a condom is the only way to go these days. i don't believe in anything that will cause abortion (for myself), but do not feel we should take away a woman's right to choose. Pills like RU486 should not be used as a form of birth control :(

MOO

Mel

It's a convenient, no hassle, "no guilt" version of abortion, and therefore it is immoral, and yes, this administration will allow it in America, sadly. Life begins at conception, and none of us would be here if we weren't conceived. We cannot skip that step. You end the natural life process anytime after conception. And that's what this pill does, it ends the life process that is required for all human beings. Does it matter at what stage the process is ended? No, because the end result is exactly the same. The timing is irrelevant, since it does not change the end result.

That's all I have to say on a topic (abortion) that's been discussed ad infinitum on here before.

I fully agree! Us Catholics are supposed to do NFP so that is what I will do IF the time comes I ever need BC. I don't now and haven't in years, very happily my choice, lol.

But now there may be a MALE birth control on the horizon and I think I would like to start a seperate thread for that topic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back