Embezzlement charges: discussion, etc.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ewwwinteresting said:
But wouldn't the charge show up? It is public knowledge and I would assume be in a database when doing a background check??
It is my understanding that the charges would not show up, basically because you are innocent until proven guilty. It's too bad for employers though, because some employer will be hiring an embezzler.

Charges wont show up on a felony charge until fingerprints are sent in to the National database, haven't worked in Law Enforcement in a long while but I think that is NCIC for felonies offenses. I know a lot of the smaller counties don't send in the prints until they can also put the conviction on the card.

A future employer can do a criminal background search in which they call all the local law enforcement agencies (police, sheriffs dept) where the applicant has lived and ask if the applicant has an arrest history in that city or county but they can only go by what the applicant has listed as his past city/county of residence.

Tammie63 said:
Charges wont show up on a felony charge until fingerprints are sent in to the National database, haven't worked in Law Enforcement in a long while but I think that is NCIC for felonies offenses. I know a lot of the smaller counties don't send in the prints until they can also put the conviction on the card.

A future employer can do a criminal background search in which they call all the local law enforcement agencies (police, sheriffs dept) where the applicant has lived and ask if the applicant has an arrest history in that city or county but they can only go by what the applicant has listed as his past city/county of residence.
Thanks for the info Tammie. So if the applicant "skips" a certain place where he worked or lived, the employer would not know to look in that county, correct? Hmmmmm.....I could see Raven skipping the entire embezzlement job and murder address on his applications and no one would be the wiser.

In your backgound of LE, does it usually take 2 or more months before you arrest a suspect? and if they had a lot of evidence against someone in particular, would they still wait for test results to return before making the arrest? Just curious!

Its been a while since I worked in LE so I am by no means an expert Plus I am only familiar with Texas law.
I do know that NO D.A. is going to give the ok to arrest unless he feels that he has a STRONG case. That being said I don't see an arrest being made until all test/evidence are in order specially now days with the all the scientific means they have...30 years ago... probably someone would be sitting in jail by now.

Tammie63 said:

...isn't there an area /line on a job application asking " have you ever been arrested ?" or is it, "have you ever been convicted ?"

..a friend of mine ( in the u.s. ) was recently job hunting, and she had to go herself to the police dept. and have a criminal records search done...
...if raven had to do so, would anything show up at this time, the charge of embezzlement itself ?

...in addition to the employer calling LE...i wonder if they do their own online 'zaba search' etc. of prospective applicants ?

lauriej said:
...isn't there an area /line on a job application asking " have you ever been arrested ?" or is it, "have you ever been convicted ?"

..a friend of mine ( in the u.s. ) was recently job hunting, and she had to go herself to the police dept. and have a criminal records search done...
...if raven had to do so, would anything show up at this time, the charge of embezzlement itself ?

...in addition to the employer calling LE...i wonder if they do their own online 'zaba search' etc. of prospective applicants ?
Could you imagine being a prospective employer that searches Raven's name on the internet? Wonder what they would think?

lauriej said:
I think that it's convicted. So, he's got until at least July 22nd to slip by on that question.

ItsMe said:
Ok, here is what I know about Raven. I only met him through mutual friends, and we only hung out for a night. He was very charming and we all had lots of fun. I really liked him. He stayed in touch with my friend and even set them up with one of his friends. He used to work for HP before going to Eurosport so he is definitely computer savvy. Anyway, I would imagine it to be very difficult to sale computers and equipment if he wasn’t. It’s rumored that another one of his friends who also use to worked at HP was let go for suspicion of embezzlement and it was the same type of thing……..taking equipment and turning a personal profit. However if it is true, maybe Raven knew about it and knew that he was never arrested so he thought that he could get away with it. Who knows what Raven was thinking? I remember when he got the job with Eurosport and how excited he was to be working in the soccer industry.

Yes, I agree with juliagoulia, this is an intriguing bit of information... Do you know ItsMe, anything more about the HP alleged embezzlement? So it's your understanding that there were never any charges brought against the employee?

Perhaps you're right, even if Raven himself had no involvement, it may have provided the "scheme," if you will, that he later used at Eurosport??

Someone mentioned this fact earlier in one of the other threads here. Whoever mentioned this before said they didn't believe Raven had been involved in the scam at HP; at least he wasn't caught, if he was involved.

SouthEastSleuth said:
Yes, I agree with juliagoulia, this is an intriguing bit of information... Do you know ItsMe, anything more about the HP alleged embezzlement? So it's your understanding that there were never any charges brought against the employee?

Perhaps you're right, even if Raven himself had no involvement, it may have provided the "scheme," if you will, that he later used at Eurosport??

NCBanker said:
Someone mentioned this fact earlier in one of the other threads here. Whoever mentioned this before said they didn't believe Raven had been involved in the scam at HP; at least he wasn't caught, if he was involved.
I don't remember the HP embezzlement story on this forum:waitasec: . I think this would definitely want to be checked out by the current DA on the ES embezzlement case to make sure Raven wasn't involved.

I think the HP connection is important. If Raven was involved but didn't get caught, that would give him the courage to try it again. If he was only aware of the embezzelment at HP and not involved, then trying it after someone was caught is patently idiotic.

Then again, Raven is very arrogant. Perhaps the other co-worker gave him the idea and Raven thought, "I am smart enough to get away with it."

However, if the two were partners in crime, that produces another POI. It would be someone that could possibly have a grudge against Raven... All speculation of course!

Anyone out there know the name of the fired HP co-worker?

juliagoulia said:
I think the HP connection is important. If Raven was involved but didn't get caught, that would give him the courage to try it again. If he was only aware of the embezzelment at HP and not involved, then trying it after someone was caught is patently idiotic.

Then again, Raven is very arrogant. Perhaps the other co-worker gave him the idea and Raven thought, "I am smart enough to get away with it."

However, if the two were partners in crime, that produces another POI. It would be someone that could possibly have a grudge against Raven... All speculation of course!

Anyone out there know the name of the fired HP co-worker?
I agree. If Raven was involved, this ES embezzlement charge would not be the first time he embezzled and I would think, multiple embezzler.....tougher sentence.

...found the discussion that was happening re "HP ", back on the discussion #4 thread...

...(at that time, we didn't have the info that anyone had been fired for embezzling from HP...it would be interesting to know those details, how the 2 embezzlement schemes matched up , was raven's just a "new and improved" version of the HP employees attempt?)

newkid
I have a teeny bit of infomation that isn't exactly new, just reaffirms other things you guys have already found.

When my husband worked with Raven, Raven owed the company money for unauthorized expenses and never paid. It wasn't a large amount, less than $50, but he still never paid it back. Also similar things happened at the company as far as people selling company property on ebay for personal profit, but my husband doesn't think Raven was involved.

newkid
The stuff being sold on ebay was computer equipment, and new stuff at that. This was back in Raven's HP days.

forgot to add that my husband doesn't think Raven was involved in ebaying the HP stuff.

golfmom
THAT is exactly what I heard. They have an annual "yard sale" where they sell all sorts of discontinued items, overstock, etc. And people can buy whatever (even the public is invited, although I THINK it's open initially to employees only)....and often, people would buy "stuff" and then resell on eBay. In truth, I don't think there's any crime or misdoing in this whatsoever...as long as the employee purchased and PAID for the items, then it would seem to be theirs, to do then whatever they chose...

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the employees doing this. It's actually pretty smart. If I worked there, I'd be saving my pennies all year to do that!

lauriej said:
...found the discussion that was happening re "HP ", back on the discussion #4 thread...

...(at that time, we didn't have the info that anyone had been fired for embezzling from HP...it would be interesting to know those details, how the 2 embezzlement schemes matched up , was raven's just a "new and improved" version of the HP employees attempt?)

newkid
I have a teeny bit of infomation that isn't exactly new, just reaffirms other things you guys have already found.

When my husband worked with Raven, Raven owed the company money for unauthorized expenses and never paid. It wasn't a large amount, less than $50, but he still never paid it back. Also similar things happened at the company as far as people selling company property on ebay for personal profit, but my husband doesn't think Raven was involved.

newkid
The stuff being sold on ebay was computer equipment, and new stuff at that. This was back in Raven's HP days.

forgot to add that my husband doesn't think Raven was involved in ebaying the HP stuff.

golfmom
THAT is exactly what I heard. They have an annual "yard sale" where they sell all sorts of discontinued items, overstock, etc. And people can buy whatever (even the public is invited, although I THINK it's open initially to employees only)....and often, people would buy "stuff" and then resell on eBay. In truth, I don't think there's any crime or misdoing in this whatsoever...as long as the employee purchased and PAID for the items, then it would seem to be theirs, to do then whatever they chose...

I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with the employees doing this. It's actually pretty smart. If I worked there, I'd be saving my pennies all year to do that!
Thanks for finding that lauriej. When I first read it (seems like years ago), I thought newkid was talking about a job in Utah. I didn't connect it with working at HP (more recent). And for some reason I thought GM was talking about Eurosport having an annual "yard sale"....I guess I was totally out of it when I was reading that part:doh:

ewwwinteresting said:
And for some reason I thought GM was talking about Eurosport having an annual "yard sale"....I guess I was totally out of it when I was reading that part:doh:
I thought this too. I'm still not convinced which she meant for sure. GM, if you read this, did you mean that HP or ES have an annual "yard sale"?

JerseyGirl said:
I thought this too. I'm still not convinced which she meant for sure. GM, if you read this, did you mean that HP or ES have an annual "yard sale"?

I actually know this - from what I understand Eurosport has an annual "yard sale," where they sell excess stock, discontinued items, damaged items, etc. It's my understanding that employees all work the sell... but they are also allowed to purchase items, etc. (correct me if I'm wrong on this anyone..)

Have no knowledge at all regarding any sort of similar situation, or not, with HP.

MarketStar (the company Raven worked for while he was contracted out to HP) occasionally sells off old equipment to employees. Not at any set time and not like a yard sale, the word just goes out to employees.

What had been happening at MarketStar was that certain individuals were ebaying brand new equipment. They were also buying amex gift checks that were supposed to be used for promotions and giveaways, but were depositing the checks in their own bank accounts. These people were discovered and fired a little after Raven had already left the company I think. They had been at it for quite a while. From what we've heard though, Raven's name never came up. He certainly could have picked up ideas from it, by the time it was over nearly everyone had heard about it.

Sorry about the confusion, people thinking I was referring to a different Utah job. MarketStar is located in Utah, but has people all over the country contracted out to HP.

newkid said:
MarketStar (the company Raven worked for while he was contracted out to HP) occasionally sells off old equipment to employees. Not at any set time and not like a yard sale, the word just goes out to employees.

What had been happening at MarketStar was that certain individuals were ebaying brand new equipment. They were also buying amex gift checks that were supposed to be used for promotions and giveaways, but were depositing the checks in their own bank accounts. These people were discovered and fired a little after Raven had already left the company I think. They had been at it for quite a while. From what we've heard though, Raven's name never came up. He certainly could have picked up ideas from it, by the time it was over nearly everyone had heard about it.

Sorry about the confusion, people thinking I was referring to a different Utah job. MarketStar is located in Utah, but has people all over the country contracted out to HP.

Ah, ok. So this is clear to me now...thanks newkid! (I always enjoy on WS, when we go round and round with some piece of information, and then eventually someone gives us the FACTS... then I can sit back and say, "ok, that makes sense..."!)

As I wrote in another post elsewhere, my thought is that perhaps Raven at least "heard" about the previous scheme at MarketStar, and perhaps when his thoughts turned towards embezzlement at Eurosport he remembered all of that...and maybe did something similar at ES. Who knows, but could be a possibility I suppose.

..thanks newkid........

...it would seems that i only added to the confusion digging up old posts...sorry about that everyone...
...there was just SO much flying around 2 months ago, i'm never sure what i'm remembering correctly!

...(p.s..how nice to log on a see so many new posts! and posters!)

newkid said:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back