Embezzlement charges: discussion, etc.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:banghead::banghead::banghead: Okay - I'm still sitting here banging my head and its starting to hurt. NEWS, I NEED NEWS!

Word has it that it didn't happen today. No idea why not or what happened ... YET :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

golfmom said:
Word has it that it didn't happen today. No idea why not or what happened ... YET :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :furious:

JerseyGirl said:
So Raven gets lucky again? Another situation with minimal consequences? I give up trying to understand. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Officials have not said if Abaroa wants the deal.

Maybe it's not a sweet deal; the prosecutor's probably left off an offer for chocolates and the Websleuth Crown.

golfmom said:
Officials have not said if Abaroa wants the deal.

Maybe it's not a sweet deal...
I hope not but knowing Raven's luck, I won't believe it's not a sweet deal until I see it!

http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-629294.html

Plea offered in embezzlement case

BY ERIC OLSON : The Herald-Sun
eolson@heraldsun.com
Jul 22, 2005 : 9:56 pm ET

The Orange County District Attorney's Office has offered a plea agreement in the embezzlement charges facing Raven Abaroa, whose wife was murdered in Durham in April.

Should Abaroa accept, the deal would place him on probation and force him to make some $9,000 of restitution to his former employer, Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Perez said.

"That's just what we talked about," Perez said. "Mr. Abaroa hasn't agreed to anything yet."

Perez said she should know by Aug. 23 whether or not Abaroa would agree to the deal. Otherwise, she would indict Abaroa on five counts of embezzlement and put the case before the Sept. 21 grand jury session, she said.

"Since I don't know if he's going to plead or not, I can't say what's going to happen," she said. "And if he does, it's going to be probation and restitution."

golfmom said:
Should Abaroa accept, the deal would place him on probation and force him to make some $9,000 of restitution to his former employer, Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Perez said.

"That's just what we talked about," Perez said. "Mr. Abaroa hasn't agreed to anything yet."

Perez said she should know by Aug. 23 whether or not Abaroa would agree to the deal. Otherwise, she would indict Abaroa on five counts of embezzlement and put the case before the Sept. 21 grand jury session, she said.

"Since I don't know if he's going to plead or not, I can't say what's going to happen," she said. "And if he does, it's going to be probation and restitution."

Not a huge surprise I don't think.

I think it's interesting the article refers to FIVE accounts of embezzlement though, at least as a possible indictment.

"Since I don't know if he's going to plead or not." This is almost amusing to me. It would take some nerve not to take that deal. But, stranger things have happened. And arrogance can certainly get in the way of common sense...

So, no wearing orange today for Raven.

So, Raven, wiping the sweat from your brow this morning buddy? I wouldn't get too excited, just yet. If you murdered Janet, and are ultimately found guilty, somehow I don't think probation would cut it...wearing ORANGE would be a fact, at minimum, and most likely for a long, long time.

So go ahead and breathe that sigh of relief right now - tell yourself life is getting better - pat yourself on the back - enjoy life right now - make big plans - maybe some off-roading or mtn biking is in order to celebrate - maybe have a celebration party with your family....

The clock is ticking and freedom is indeed a precious thing, then again, so is life...

golfmom said:

Perez said she should know by Aug. 23 whether or not Abaroa would agree to the deal.
And he's not jumping on this deal?????

There is the matter of $9000 restitution. He may not be able to take the deal if he can't come up with the money. Somehow, I'm sure he will. I wonder how much the Utah "Memorial" fund has collected...:(

juliagoulia said:
There is the matter of $9000 restitution. He may not be able to take the deal if he can't come up with the money. Somehow, I'm sure he will. I wonder how much the Utah "Memorial" fund has collected...:(
For some reason, I am seeing more articles, in mormon papers, in different cities!:sick:

golfmom said:
http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-629294.html

Plea offered in embezzlement case

BY ERIC OLSON : The Herald-Sun
eolson@heraldsun.com
Jul 22, 2005 : 9:56 pm ET

http://www.wral.com/news/4760082/de...ss=ral&psp=news

DURHAM, N.C. -- Prosecutors offered the husband of a homicide victim a plea deal on embezzlement charges............
Yeah, two different articles written on this...and one where the reporter went searching for Perez for comments. At least Perez knows there are people watching!

BTW, why would Raven only be responsible for $9,000.00 if the stuff he sold could have been sold at $17,000.00+....and how much did Raven received from selling the stuff? If he sold it for $10,000.00, where is the punishment????? He should have to at least pay for the value of the stolen merchandise AND repay back what he received from selling the merchandise. They are letting him profit from his crime! Oh wait, that seems to be happening with another crime I know of:eek:

ewwwinteresting said:
Yeah, two different articles written on this...and one where the reporter went searching for Perez for comments. At least Perez knows there are people watching!

BTW, why would Raven only be responsible for $9,000.00 if the stuff he sold could have been sold at $17,000.00+....and how much did Raven received from selling the stuff? If he sold it for $10,000.00, where is the punishment????? He should have to at least pay for the value of the stolen merchandise AND repay back what he received from selling the merchandise. They are letting him profit from his crime! Oh wait, that seems to be happening with another crime I know of:eek:
..NO kidding..........i cannot believe the plea offered is for raven to only repay the $9000 in goods that he stole in the 1st place.....

.. what kind of idiot DA can't do the math between wholesale embezlement and resale value..?????........especially on ebay...plus the super deluxe soccer shoes he kept for himself...

... and she offers him a plea?!..........."pay back the 9K....( "ummmmmmmmmm, ok, i sold the stuff for 20K, sounds good.....).............pathetic .............i hope voters in NC are paying attention to her .

golfmom said:
http://www.wral.com/news/4760082/detail.html?rss=ral&psp=news

DURHAM, N.C. -- Prosecutors offered the husband of a homicide victim a plea deal on embezzlement charges.
...i wish we had the email address of the prosecuter, so we could offer her lame brain our services in calculating the net profit raven made AFTER selling off the $9000 worth of mechandise that he stole..

...i only hope ths isn't the same prosecuter we have on the murder case........

... what did it take ? raven batted his pretty blue eyes at her and begged for mercy as a single parent ?a widower ? ...beyond pathetic..

lauriej said:
.....and now there are, again, 5...(not 4)..........charges against raven listed on the court docket for august 26th......

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/servlet/calendars.Criminal.do?county=670&court=BTH&defendant=abaroa&start=0&navindex=0
Hi LaurieJ,

So does this mean that Raven has not accepted the plea? Can we tell the date this was posted? It would seem that if Raven had accepted the plea, his upcoming court date on August 26, 2005 would not be listed.

Moxie

Moxie said:
Hi LaurieJ,

So does this mean that Raven has not accepted the plea? Can we tell the date this was posted? It would seem that if Raven had accepted the plea, his upcoming court date on August 26, 2005 would not be listed.

Moxie

Moxie, the date listed on the top of the page is today's date July 30, 2005. Wish we knew if that meant it was updated today (doubtful as it's Saturday). However, It doesn't make much sense to me that they would just have the date you visit the page up on the top. I mean really why put that?

Moxie said:
Hi LaurieJ,

Moxie
I think that that date is scheduled in case Raven decides to take it to court rather than accepting the plea deal. I don't remember the date that was mentioned but one of the articles stated that they will know by [whatever date - could be 8/26] whether or not he's accepting. If he chooses to accept the deal, I imagine that that court date will be used to inform the court of the decision or whatever other housekeeping issues they have with the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back