Found Deceased Esther Wallace, 47, Missing, near Orange, NSW, 30th November 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

TootsieFootsie

Reaction score

This article is a few days old but it's the only one I can find not behind a paywall.

Bushwalking with a companion and became separated :(

The latest is that some clothing that might be hers was found at Federal Falls, which is not far from Mount Canobolas.

Behind paywall

Her son says it doesn't add up, his Mum is not into bushwalking...

Sorry just about everything is behind a paywall. I'll try to find some more that aren't.

This article is a few days old but it's the only one I can find not behind a paywall.

Bushwalking with a companion and became separated :(

The latest is that some clothing that might be hers was found at Federal Falls, which is not far from Mount Canobolas.

Behind paywall

Her son says it doesn't add up, his Mum is not into bushwalking...

Sorry just about everything is behind a paywall. I'll try to find some more that aren't.
It's getting down to 8C night, by Friday, it's getting down to 3C. If she is out there, she's going to die of exposure if they don't find her. If she hasn't already. And that's if she's even out there at all.

Also, those temps are just for Orange. Mount Canobolas is the biggest thing out there. If she's actually up the mountain, the temps will be more severe.

I used to live in the Central West. Was out there for years. We were some distance from Orange, but when the weather came in, and Mount Canobolas got a snow cap, we could always feel it. It happened at Christmas, once. We had 2C daytime weather where we were at just under 900m, which is way lower than the tippy top of the mountain, which was covered in snow for at least a day or two. I know that doesn't sound weird to you Northern Hemisphere folks, but that's mid Australian summer.

I live in Bathurst, and lived at Molong for a few years and yep, that's our weather, unpredictable and I remember the snow in our summer.

I too wonder is she's there at all.

I feel so sorry for her son, he's frantic with worry :(
Yep, I know Bathurst and Molong well. :)

Beautiful country, terrible roads. :D

I miss living out there, where there were four real seasons, places I could walk that didn't stink of garbage and exhaust fumes, and really good produce. I don't miss the terrible internet, the stupidly high utility bills, and living a hundred kilometres from a hospital or a supermarket.

Ah but in recent years the roads have become a lot better, except there always seems to be roadworks.

At least they've started doing some at night.

Heaps more people live here now, it's not quite the country town feel it used to have and the traffic around the CBD is quite hectic. and hard to find a park. We need more car parks : /

I also like all the seasons. I even think the trees are still beautiful with their bare branches showing.

I don't think I'd like to live somewhere that didn't have supermarkets, or good internet, or a good hospital.
I've become spoilt I think. I remember the old days of crappy expensive internet, what a pain it used to be.

Are utility bills usually higher in the country. Oh maybe because somewhere like here gets cold, but on the other hand if you lived where it was hot all year and had to use air conditioning then it probably evens out.

I used my heater a lot more this winter due to visitors, if it was just me I would have rugged up like a Yeti :D

Anyway I was dreading the bill, but it was only $269, and that's for the quarter so I was really happy.

The multi-agency search for missing bushwalker Esther Wallace has been extended following the discovery of two items around Federal Falls on Sunday.
The Orange News Examiner can reveal that a hi-vis jacket believed to belong to Wallace was found at the base of a wall of blackberry during the search on Sunday. A source would not comment on the second item.

Police are deciding whether to continue a large-scale search for a woman missing in the NSW Central Tablelands, as concerns for her welfare deepen.

Esther Wallace, 47, was reported missing last Wednesday morning, after becoming separated from a male companion in bushland approximately 20km southwest of Orange.

Despite ongoing efforts to find her, police say they are yet to find any definitive trace or suggestion as to her whereabouts.

Police will decide whether to continue the search for Ms Wallace on Tuesday afternoon.

"At the moment they're not ruling anything out because they genuinely don't know," a NSW police spokeswoman said.

"It could be misadventure, it could be suspicious, we don't know."

The male companion who last saw Ms Wallace is understood to be co-operating with police.

Police are urging locals in Orange and surrounds to be on the look out in the event Ms Wallace made her way outside the search area.

She was last seen wearing an orange jacket, black pants and sandals.

Behind paywall, I think

Her son says she doesn't go bushwalking and wouldn't be wearing sandals.
He says he doesn't believe she's up there at all.
I wonder if they've searched her home, the 'friend's' home, the cars of both of them...

I wonder if Orange has access to scent dogs. Her unique scent, and cadaver.

I wonder if they've searched her home, the 'friend's' home, the cars of both of them...

I wonder if Orange has access to scent dogs. Her unique scent, and cadaver.

Behind paywall

Dog and aerial teams were on standby but were not used.

This was yesterday. It makes me think either the terrain is too rough for dogs, or they are now thinking she was never there at all :(

December 5, 2022

The man who was with Esther Wallace around Federal Falls before she vanished has “been very helpful with the enquiries”, according to acting superintendent Gerard Lawson, relieving commander at Central West Police District.

“[He has] provided a lot of information that's been able to help us focus where the search should be,” Lawson said on Tuesday.

Police have given little away during the search, which is now in its seventh day.

They have held no press conferences and kept details supplied to enquiring media to a minimum, only releasing the agencies involved in each day's search, and information about the times of day the search was conducted. Other questions relating to the search have been left unanswered in email responses.

Asked by The Orange News Examiner if there was a reason for this low-key approach, Lawson said: “No, there's no reason for that. It's just us getting on with business.

“We've been focused on the search for this woman, trying to find her because as you can appreciate, the longer she's missing the less chance of finding her well. [It] evaporates.”

He confirmed the search was continuing throughout Tuesday, describing it as “rugged and quite difficult”.

(..)

A source told The Orange News Examiner that exhaustion was setting in among those who were scouring the challenging terrain.

Asked if he was confident Esther Wallace was somewhere around Federal Falls, Lawson said: “There's always that possibility that she's been able to find her way off the mountain and is elsewhere, and if that's the case and people know where she is, please come forward and tell us. There's a reason why we're concentrating our search here.”

As hopes fade that Wallace could survive this long in the bush, cadaver dogs trained to track the scent of human remains are on standby.

The multi-agency search for Wallace was extended following the discovery of two items around Federal Falls on Sunday.

The Orange News Examiner revealed that a hi-vis jacket believed to belong to Wallace was found at the base of a wall of blackberry during the search on Sunday. A source would not comment on the second item.

(..)

So they used cadaver dogs on Thursday but I haven't read that any dogs were used before that.

It's still not determined if the jacket they found was hers.
The jacket was found in an area that had been searched multiple times.

It is possible though that she dropped the jacket, while wandering around, after the area had been searched.

Police are examining a second item, they haven't said what it is. Maybe her phone ?

Last edited:

So they used cadaver dogs on Thursday but I haven't read that any dogs were used before that.

It's still not determined if the jacket they found was hers.
The jacket was found in an area that had been searched multiple times.

It is possible though that she dropped the jacket, while wandering around, after the area had been searched.

Police are examining a second item, they haven't said what it is. Maybe her phone ?
Phone would make sense, as a dropped item - either by her while walking, or by her killer to suggest she was there when she never was. Would also make sense why police wouldn't tell what they found; they'll be keeping their lips shut while it's analysed.

The other item that would make sense would be something to suggest a crime. Weapon, rope or tape, a blanket or tarp that could have been used to carry her. But in the case of the latter, you'd think her body would be close, and they haven't found it.

or by her killer to suggest she was there
That could explain the finding of items.

One thing, her son said she didn't go bushwalking, but sometimes people do things they don't really like, to show an interest in another person.

But how many people would choose sandals as footwear to go bushwalking. The son said there's no way she would have worn sandals up there.

It was said she was going to watch the sunrise, and if so, in my opinion she may not have thought of it as a bushwalk, she may have thought it would just be like a stroll on a well maintained path.

That could explain the finding of items.

One thing, her son said she didn't go bushwalking, but sometimes people do things they don't really like, to show an interest in another person.

But how many people would choose sandals as footwear to go bushwalking. The son said there's no way she would have worn sandals up there.

It was said she was going to watch the sunrise, and if so, in my opinion she may not have thought of it as a bushwalk, she may have thought it would just be like a stroll on a well maintained path.
The only time I've worn sandals for rough terrain is when I've been by the coast and spent part of the walk on sand or rockpools, and they were reef sandals, designed for that environment.

Mount Canobolas is just a smidge far away from the sea to make that plausible.

Who wears sandals on a bushwalk in summer? Someone who doesn't mind the possibility of snakebite, or even just a sharp rock or stick up between their toes. Ouch.

Missing for a week without a trace. Where is Esther Wallace?

Acting Superintendent Lawson said Ms Wallace's partner was not being treated as a person of interest in their investigations.

"He's been very helpful with our enquiries," he said.

"He's provided a lot of information which has been able to help us where the search should be."

Hmmm... haven't found her though, have they? It doesn't matter how helpful you appear to be, if you're pointing in the wrong direction. Happy to be proven wrong, but it's obviously the way her son is thinking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weskerwife
Back